PDA

View Full Version : Nissan GQ auto locking hubs question

bartoni79
30th January 2011, 06:09 PM
Dear All,

Im a real newbie to 4WDing and Im planning to go up to Stockton Beach in my new manual '92 Nissan Patrol GQ. It has automatic locking nuts. I was trying out my 4WD L and H in my garage to make sure that it engaged. After selecting 4WD L, I tried to drive the wagon (on a tight lock) to get out of my car parking space and there seemed to be a lot of resistance. Is this due to the locking Hubs activating?

How do I know if the hubs have locked correctly?

Also when I look at the hub, it the the words Locked and Free on the hub. How do I know whether the hub is still locked or not as there are no indicator arrows?

I know these are basic questions but I want to make sure I sont screw up the 4WD before Ive got to StocktonBeach....

Cheers

XLR8
30th January 2011, 06:35 PM
When in AUTO, the hub engages as soon as drive is applied from the transfer case and will disengage when taken out of 4H or 4L and the vehicle is reversed a little. If they are in the LOCK position, the hub is constantly engaged and the axle will turn even when 4WD is not engaged. It is never advised to engage 4WD on a hard surface as this will cause axle wind-up and can damage the hubs, axles or CV joints. The corner of the nut will point towards either LOCK or AUTO

bartoni79
30th January 2011, 06:45 PM
Hi,

Just to carify then - ive checked the hub and the corner nut points to AUTO. I presume this is the setting needed for going on sealed road? and then off road this will move to LOCK?

Many Thanks

TheFlyingBadger
30th January 2011, 07:51 PM
If they're auto hubs then you're pretty safe to leave them on Auto all the time. Control 2 & 4WD with the stubby gearstick. As Mike says, do not run in either 4H or 4L on bitumen as you will end up with axle wind up (see http://www.oncourse4wd.com/4wd/4wd_axle_windup.asp)

YNOT
30th January 2011, 07:53 PM
Hi,

Just to carify then - ive checked the hub and the corner nut points to AUTO. I presume this is the setting needed for going on sealed road? and then off road this will move to LOCK?

Many Thanks

Correct. You can leave them in auto off road but you risk them disengaging when you change from forward to reverse.

Check this thread for more info; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?596-Fixing-GQ-GU-auto-hubs&highlight=fixing+auto+hubs

Tony