PDA

View Full Version : AB's new GQ is finally here

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

MudRunnerTD
30th January 2011, 05:18 PM
BLANK!!

Karn AB!!!

This thread is no bloody good without pics!!

Tricked ya :eck05:

mmmmahhhhhhhahahahahahahahaha :1062:

AB
30th January 2011, 08:19 PM
you bast*ard MR...lol

You are not going to believe this but after driving an hour on rough dirt road on the way home the air con blower elec wire broke off It's zip tie and fell onto the chassis.

Long story short, it shorted out and blew the main 65amp IGN fuse and the Patrol is stuck at my brothers...lol....Off to a flying start!!!

Spent half the day trying to get a new one, Repco and Autobarn don't stock them and 3 auto elecs on the way home didnt have them.

My auto elec mate does have them but he's not back until tomorrow!

I'm going to drive to my brothers house now as I did promise I will have pics up tonight...lol...Bloody hell guys....lol

Back in 15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NissanGQ4.2
30th January 2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks 4 posting up AB's Members Ride MR, Can u post up some pics 4 him 2 please, I'm getting older every second i wait 4 AB to post his own pics up and i'm afraid i might die before i see some pics in this thread!

DX grunt
30th January 2011, 08:34 PM
Back in 15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 seconds, 15 minutes, 15 hours, 15 days, 15 months or 15 years??? lololol

AB
30th January 2011, 08:52 PM
Alright you little rats, here she is...lol

Ab's new pride and joy.

No action shots unfortunately as there is no action tonight so to speak!

1990 GQ ST 4.2 diesel, stock as a rock!

210,000 genuine km's.

Bought it off a senior italian couple who have owned it since new and looks and drives beautifully!

Things to come...

3 inch lift with BFG 35's.....Possibly 2 inch with 33's or the old USA BFG import 34's havent worked this out yet).
Snorkel
CB and new stereo (the original cassette is just not cutting it).
Rear drawers and bed.
Fridge
Dual batteries
Solid rear side windows, possibly hinged solid windows.
Spotties
Bull Bar (more bar work as well later on)
Wish List down the track....

Turbo
Turbo
Turbo
Did I mention turbo
Lockers
etc etc etc etc etc
Not much else to say, an honest stock very low km GQ with a perfect blank canvas to start fresh and have some fun!!!!!!

DX grunt
30th January 2011, 08:56 PM
Nice one AB. Congratulations.

Ross

MudRunnerTD
30th January 2011, 08:57 PM
Mate!!! 1 owner, 210,000ks TD42

GOLD

Thanks for the pics AB, looks a treat mate. Where did you find it mate?

mike
30th January 2011, 08:58 PM
Nice pick up AB ,Stock and ready for mods !!Low kms for its age too.

Cheers Mike

AB
30th January 2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah it has taken over 6 months to find this...lol

They bought it new and live down at Rye....(South east coast of Port Phillip Bay) so I was concerned about rust.

They garaged it 100% and they actually lived up in the hills of Rye which would have also helped with sea breezes, etc)

Anyways I can't find any rust anywhere apart from inside the rear side windows (standard spot) and It's not too bad either.

never offroad, never dirt road actually...lol....Mate It's been so well looked after, fussy retired bloke serviced it himself every 10,000km, drained the tanks too as he was paranoid about water. Still has the factory stickers on the diff, gear box and transfer...lol

Drives 100%, looks neat outside for a 20 year old car (few scratches, etc).....Perfect blank canvas!!!

AB
30th January 2011, 09:05 PM
Forgot to mention it did cost me 10k but I think thats a good price for this kind of condition and km's.

He was asking 11k but the stubborn bugger wouldn't go any lower...lol

If i had of walked away that night it would have been gone the next day for sure, I was the first to ring 1 hour after he put it on Carsales and drove down that arvo..lol

I was like a hawk!!!!!!!!!

Bob
30th January 2011, 09:08 PM
Good Buy AB Pity it wasnt White

Woof
30th January 2011, 09:13 PM
Very nice GQ you have there AB, well done mate, enjoy

AB
30th January 2011, 09:17 PM
Good Buy AB Pity it wasnt White

I know, was looking forward to white GQ.

I just could not say no to little bluey/Wazza...lol

big_fletch
30th January 2011, 09:39 PM
Very nice AB, looks like a top rig and can't wait to see what you do with it:bigthumbup:

If ya need any help with any elec work feel free to give me a bell as I am quite happy to organise a hand and beer if needed Haha

Maxhead
30th January 2011, 09:43 PM
Lucky you spotted it when you did , good ones don't hang around long at all.
Nice one mate!!!!!!!!

Clunk
30th January 2011, 09:45 PM
nice work AB, like it mate.............. if you really really want a whitey, I'll swap ya hahahahaha

Dark 1
30th January 2011, 10:08 PM
Top stuff Andy, she looks like a keeper. Looking foward to the builup, stay safe mate.

Sir Roofy
31st January 2011, 09:09 AM
Very nice rig there a.b congrats on your find

Bigrig
31st January 2011, 09:16 AM
It's simply beautiful!!! Could be Tanks twin brother!!! LOL ... Mine was stock as a rock also mate, and whoever had it prior had obviously taken good care of it, so use your words, a "blank canvass" was what I was after also!!

The clock starts now ... You have approximately 14 months to get it prepped for the forum meetup!!!

And btw, you really should add a turbo to your list of mods!! LOL

AB
31st January 2011, 09:24 AM
Very nice AB, looks like a top rig and can't wait to see what you do with it:bigthumbup:

If ya need any help with any elec work feel free to give me a bell as I am quite happy to organise a hand and beer if needed Haha

haha, I actually have a problem right now Fletcha but I'll just bring an auto elec guy I know up to have a look if I can't work it out.

I blew the main 65amp fuse on Saturday arvo. The one under the bonnet that is a large black fuse with the see through window (STARTER ALT - BLACK). I think It's the main ignition fuse.

Now I originally thought I found the problem as the air con motor wire was rubbing against the chassis (YEARS OF RUB MARKS ON CHASSIS) and I have now fixed that but I would think if that shorted out then it would blow the little 15 amp ones under the dash before it got to the big monster fuses.

Anyways I will go to Hall4x4 wreckers today and grab some new ones and see what I can find tonight.

The problem must be shorting out something major like from the battery to the alternator or something major from the battery.

I'll get some fuses today and see if I can find a fault tonight. It happened exactly as I went over a bump going into my brothers driveway. If I can't find where It's shorting out then I'll get an Auto Elec up this week.

AB
31st January 2011, 02:12 PM
Well I have ordered two of these to come in tomorrow...

I tell you what folks grab yourself a spare one of these, I have tried Bursons, Autobarn, Repco, half a dozen auto elecs, wreckers, 4x4 parts suppliers, etc but no one has any in stock.

Could save you one day in the bush!

Narva details below....

Female Plug In with Lock

Part Number = 53365

65 amp
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/01/1.png

patch697
31st January 2011, 02:16 PM
Bloody good advice AB & thanks for the heads up old mate.

Chops
31st January 2011, 04:48 PM
Good things come to those who wait.........

Although 25 years is a bit long to wait.

big_fletch
31st January 2011, 07:37 PM
I have a full wiring diagram on the gq so I will check what that fuse runs tomorrow for ya AB, might help find the problem

Fletcha

Chops
31st January 2011, 07:58 PM
Yeah, just think being out in the bush and it dies, it would be enough to make you blow a fuse. :-)

AB
31st January 2011, 08:44 PM
I have a full wiring diagram on the gq so I will check what that fuse runs tomorrow for ya AB, might help find the problem

Fletcha

I found the problem Fletcha so thanks anyway mate. It was actually quite simple if you look hard enough.

The earth and positive wire going from battery to alternator were hugged tight and both wires had rubbed to expose their evil power and zammo!...lol

Hence the big culvert I went in which mustve shorted the fuse out!

Easy fix up, fixed the exposed wires, all done, just bent 65 amp fuse back to check and it all runs 100000000%

I'll get the new 65amp fuse tomorrow plus a spare plus a spare of the rest so this never happens again.

Back on the road again...ba domm doom doom doom doom!

AB
31st January 2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the wake up about spare main fuse AB. It's on my list to buy now. If I think of some places I've been that this sort of mishap would have turned dangerous, it's a wonder I wasn't bright enough to think of this myself!

I'm big on keeping spares plassy but It's not the kind of spares you think of (I never kept these spares) and they can blow very easy!

Finly Owner
31st January 2011, 11:52 PM
Nice troll AB, glad it's not white, Wazza suits blue. We all know that red heads get called bluey, so bluey can't be!

lol

Tim

patch697
31st January 2011, 11:56 PM
Nice troll AB, glad it's not white, Wazza suits blue. We all know that red heads get called bluey, so bluey can't be!

lol

Tim

Your a big fan of that Joe Daltchi song "Shut upa your face" aren't you Tim...............lolololol

BTW I have a copy if you want one....lololol

Finly Owner
1st February 2011, 12:16 AM
Your a big fan of that Joe Daltchi song "Shut upa your face" aren't you Tim...............lolololol

BTW I have a copy if you want one....lololol
how about on 45, LP, tape and DVD? Hmmm I certainly have some collection of music, inc original "up there cazaly" on 45

patch697
1st February 2011, 12:19 AM

lol

Tim

Thats me beat................lolololol

AB
1st February 2011, 01:57 PM
Well the tool who was supposed to order my main fuse forgot to do it last night so I have to wait another day....ARRGGHH!!!

Getting withdrawls already!

Chops
1st February 2011, 04:27 PM
Those fuses look awfully like the ones out of Ford sedans.

Clunk
2nd February 2011, 02:14 AM
nice work AB, like it mate.............. if you really really want a whitey, I'll swap ya hahahahaha

I'll take that as a no then!!!!????? :smileyvault-cute-bi

AB
2nd February 2011, 08:58 AM
I'll take that as a no then!!!!????? :smileyvault-cute-bi

haha, yeah I'll be ok for a bit mate...lol

MudRunnerTD
2nd February 2011, 12:37 PM
Hey Clunk, Offer him one with a 65amp Ignition fuse mate...He might swap then and its white!!!!

Damn! its got allot going for it!! AB you should really give that some thought mate.....:tease:

:sterb032::smileyvault-cute-bi =============>> :blowup:

AB
2nd February 2011, 12:39 PM
Hey Clunk, Offer him one with a 65amp Ignition fuse mate...He might swap then and its white!!!!

Damn! its got allot going for it!! AB you should really give that some thought mate.....:tease:

:sterb032::smileyvault-cute-bi =============>> :blowup:

Not a chance in hell MR...lol

Finally got my fuse, plug her in this afternoon and she's alivvvvvvve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MudRunnerTD
2nd February 2011, 12:39 PM
I know, I know.... Your hanging to meet me arn't ya!

Ya gunna bring some Extra Large Rocks to Throw at me for sure.:clownredpuff:

Bigrig
2nd February 2011, 12:40 PM

Finally got my fuse, plug her in this afternoon and she's alivvvvvvve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frankenstein .... now there's a name!! LOL

AB
2nd February 2011, 12:41 PM
I know, I know.... Your hanging to meet me arn't ya!

Ya gunna bring some Extra Large Rocks to Throw at me for sure.:clownredpuff:

Never MR...lol....Maybe a Mcdonalds thickshake across the windscreen but never throw rocks...:bananarock::bananarock::bananarock::banan arock:

MudRunnerTD
2nd February 2011, 12:42 PM
Frankenstein .... now there's a name!! LOL

Frankenstein!!!!!

Now thats a Name!!

All those in favour say "I"......

I know your the Admin AB but truly some things are just out of your control mate...... :bananarock:

MudRunnerTD
2nd February 2011, 12:44 PM
Strawberry please and straight in the driver's window would be great! Ta

AB
2nd February 2011, 12:52 PM
Strawberry please and straight in the driver's window would be great! Ta

Your a clown MR...lol....Frankenstein is too long, It will just get shortened to franksta, then franky and then plain old "F*^&Kn Franky"...lol

Bigrig
2nd February 2011, 12:54 PM
Frankenstein!!!!!

Now thats a Name!!

All those in favour say "I"......

"I" ... will that fit across the windscreen on a sticker??? lol

DX grunt
2nd February 2011, 01:05 PM
What about.... ABministrator, or ABmin :smileyvault-cute-bi

:feedback: lol

patch697
2nd February 2011, 01:16 PM
What about.... ABministrator, or ABmin :smileyvault-cute-bi

:feedback: lol:animierte-smilies-f:animierte-smilies-f:animierte-smilies-f:animierte-smilies-f:animierte-smilies-f:animierte-smilies-f:animierte-smilies-f:animierte-smilies-f:animierte-smilies-f:hpfredgeorge1::bananarock::clapping::smileyvault-cute-bi

Is that enough feedback for ya..............ROFLMFAO

Clunk
3rd February 2011, 03:23 AM

I've changed my mind, there's no way I want Frankensteins monster now................. besides, I couldn't possibly let the clunkmobile go.

AB
4th February 2011, 04:09 PM
Well the troll has been taken away for a RWC.....Fingers crossed all goes well!!!!!!!!!!!

Bit nervous actually...lol

Bob
4th February 2011, 04:15 PM
Well the troll has been taken away for a RWC.....Fingers crossed all goes well!!!!!!!!!!!

Bit nervous actually...lol

One trick I learnt when I got the RWC for the GU where one of the items was Seat Belts not retracting. Wash the Belt with Warm Soapy Water and clean where the Belt goes through the top Bracket.

AB
4th February 2011, 04:30 PM
One trick I learnt when I got the RWC for the GU where one of the items was Seat Belts not retracting. Wash the Belt with Warm Soapy Water and clean where the Belt goes through the top Bracket.

Thanks for the tip Bob!

Everything """should"""" be ok!

wildgu6
4th February 2011, 09:05 PM
Great lookin rig Andy, Love the color.
Congrat's on the purchase mate, Sounds like a pearler.

You must be itchn just like Rossco

Cheers Pete

AB
4th February 2011, 09:10 PM
Great lookin rig Andy, Love the color.
Congrat's on the purchase mate, Sounds like a pearler.

You must be itchn just like Rossco

Cheers Pete

Can't wait Pete, drove it home blew the main fuse due to short on the alternator wire took 3 days to get the fuse and now It's at a mechanics getting the RWC.

Ive hardly driven this thing and It's been a week already...lol

Kind of like starving for food and each day you get home someone just dangles a chicken fillet burger in your face as you walk past the carport...lol....ARRGH!!!!

big_fletch
4th February 2011, 11:33 PM
I agree plassy, maybe sun can go for a quick play around toolangi Haha

AB
5th February 2011, 09:01 AM
I dropped it off Thursday night, he said he needed it for a couple of days so I don't know???

I think he has put it on the low priority to save me money and just do it in his spare time so I'm hoping he calls me today....

Toolangi would be seriously wet right now...lol....It's got 31 balding desert duelers, not very safe for climbing up Toolangi but could go on some easy tracks!

big_fletch
5th February 2011, 10:52 AM
Hopefully all goes well for ya AB wit ya rwc..
And your right I bet toolangi is pretty messed up atm Haha, still be a bit of good fun.. I hope ya mechanic gives ya car back as well today cause I wanna have a sticky beak on sun

Bob
7th February 2011, 09:29 AM
How did the RWC go

AB
7th February 2011, 10:10 AM
How did the RWC go

No phone call yet Bob. I assumed he was going to look at it on Saturday but the road from this guys house to his workshop was all blocked off on the weekend from the rains so I'm assuming he didnt go to work.

One would expect a phone call today, I'm getting very anxious to be honest so I'll call him this afternoon as this is killing me!!!!

Bigrig
7th February 2011, 10:13 AM
No phone call yet Bob. I assumed he was going to look at it on Saturday but the road from this guys house to his workshop was all blocked off on the weekend from the rains so I'm assuming he didnt go to work.

One would expect a phone call today, I'm getting very anxious to be honest so I'll call him this afternoon as this is killing me!!!!

Sooooo ... what's the absolute, set in concrete, first mod you are doing??

AB
7th February 2011, 11:24 AM
Sooooo ... what's the absolute, set in concrete, first mod you are doing??

mmmm....Don't worry Scotty, spent a few sleepless nights pondering this...lol

The tyres are getting low, will just pass roadworthy but will be like slicks in the mud so the first thing will be lift and tyres....

I'm thinking of just going a 2 inch lift with 33's....BF muddies!

Also, I am ready to put the drawers in too....lol

Then I will fix solid rear side windows...

Then I will get a snorkel..

oww owww....I forgot about putting a stereo in that I have in the shed along with a CB....MUST DO FIRST!

Then I'm gonna...lol

Bigrig
7th February 2011, 11:26 AM
mmmm....Don't worry Scotty, spent a few sleepless nights pondering this...lol

The tyres are getting low, will just pass roadworthy but will be like slicks in the mud so the first thing will be lift and tyres....

I'm thinking of just going a 2 inch lift with 33's....BF muddies!

Also, I am ready to put the drawers in too....lol

Then I will fix solid rear side windows...

Then I will get a snorkel..

oww owww....I forgot about putting a stereo in that I have in the shed along with a CB....MUST DO FIRST!

Then I'm gonna...lol

Good to see you've decided then champion!! LOL

Sir Roofy
7th February 2011, 11:38 AM
Reckon youll be right for coopers ab

AB
7th February 2011, 11:56 AM
Reckon youll be right for coopers ab

Yeah I will be right but no modifcations will be done by then.

I'll still have the balding 31's on there so I won't be taking any hard tracks thats for sure...lol

Bigrig
7th February 2011, 11:59 AM
I'll still have the balding 31's on there so I won't be taking any hard tracks thats for sure...lol

Pussy!! LOL

Sir Roofy
7th February 2011, 12:05 PM
Its a long way to the bottom here bigrig if you can stay in the tracks

Bob
7th February 2011, 12:09 PM
Y

Dont worry AB there will be a couple of GU's there to get you out

Bigrig
7th February 2011, 12:16 PM
Its a long way to the bottom here bigrig if you can stay in the tracks

LOL - I'm sure mate ... just stirring the pot is all !!!!

AB
7th February 2011, 12:32 PM
Pussy!! LOL

lol....Just let me break her in for a couple of weeks!!!

Just rung the mechanic and It's all good....Pheww!!!

Few little things but nothing expensive.

He found the little bit of rust on the inside of the side windows but he will let that go. He did mention the brakes were getting low but will check with the RWC guru today.

More than happy to get new brakes though!!!

Bigrig
7th February 2011, 12:34 PM
lol....Just let me break her in for a couple of weeks!!!

Just rung the mechanic and It's all good....Pheww!!!

Few little things but nothing expensive.

He found the little bit of rust on the inside of the side windows but he will let that go. He did mention the brakes were getting low but will check with the RWC guru today.

More than happy to get new brakes though!!!

Top stuff mate - you'll be grinning like a cheshire cat at the wheel in no time at all ...

AB
7th February 2011, 12:38 PM
Dont worry AB there will be a couple of GU's there to get you out

Oh here we go again...lol.

AB
7th February 2011, 04:50 PM
LOL - I'm sure mate ... just stirring the pot is all !!!!

I can still give the bog holes a crack though Scotty...lol...It'll be interesting though on bald 31's...Like ice skating!!!

Bigrig
7th February 2011, 05:04 PM
I can still give the bog holes a crack though Scotty...lol...It'll be interesting though on bald 31's...Like ice skating!!!

Yep... Good fun!!!

AB
12th March 2011, 10:48 PM
Ok, can you put 33's on stock GQ...The answer is YES.........................................and no...lol

Here's some pics of Bluey on 33 mongrels that I just changed over.

Went for a quick little bash and can confirm the following what will rub...

2wd general - No............Screaming 110km around a sharp corner...Maybe....Can't confirm....lol
General 4wding - No
Moderate 4wding - no
Decent Flexing- Just rubbed...The photos below was at the point of no return with the rear wheel lifting up and balancing so it won't get much more flexing then that.
2nd low bouncing up a mountain - just on the bounce at front and rear slightly...Slight rub on Alloy bullbar at front but It's the end of the bar which is flat and will be ok.
I'm pretty happy with it, Getting a 3" lift in 3 weeks anyway but the Mongrels make an enormous difference!!!

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Woof
12th March 2011, 10:54 PM
Very nice mate, can't wait to see Bluey with the 3" lift and the Mongrels, well done:bigthumbup:

Finly Owner
12th March 2011, 10:57 PM
Did ya steal of the tojo in the pic,if ya did they look better on bluey.

AB
12th March 2011, 10:59 PM
Did ya steal of the tojo in the pic,if ya did they look better on bluey.

I did mate, the poor Tojo is getting punished...The desert Duelers from Bluey didnt fit on the Tojo though...The offset was rubbing but I luckily found some Pizza cuters in the shed...lol

Finly Owner
12th March 2011, 11:03 PM
I did mate, the poor Tojo is getting punished...The desert Duelers from Bluey didnt fit on the Tojo though...The offset was rubbing but I luckily found some Pizza cuters in the shed...lol
True tojo hardware

xtreme patrol
13th March 2011, 12:59 AM
Hope ya washed the tojo germs of them first lol
Looking tough now Andy about time it lost that grandma image :tongue:

Clunk
13th March 2011, 01:03 AM
nice one AB looking good mate

AB
14th March 2011, 02:49 PM
Got bored today and made up my own DIY Iphone holder...lol

Used some angle, stole the split system A/C remote controller holder from the house, sprayed it up to match the interior of the car (well almost) and mounted it on the dash with no drilling and angled perfectly to the centre of the car to show some video action in the future....Sounds like a dodgy job but it actually looks great and works a treat!

The remote control holder holds the Iphone perfectly snug too...lol

My misses is going to shoot me when she finds Ive stolen the A/C remote holder though...lol

Sir Roofy
14th March 2011, 03:07 PM
your a bad bad boy ab man you know how to get in trouble

MudRunnerTD
14th March 2011, 05:41 PM
lmao.... well not quite a colour match but sure does look like an ebay iphone holder to me mate, tell the missus that the dog ate the remote holder and ask her what she thinks of the nifty iphone holder you got off ebay. ;)

big_fletch
14th March 2011, 06:59 PM
Haha good work with the phone holder AB, and as for the Mrs.... play the I don't know card lol

Bigrig
14th March 2011, 07:03 PM
Practical, simple and baring in mind you flogged the remote holder from the missus, cheap too!!! I likey!!! LOL

growler2058
15th March 2011, 02:39 PM
Mate good score, cant wait to see it all tuffed up down at Loveday

bet the ol boy you bought it off would love to see it all tuffd up 2....... not hahaha

AB
15th March 2011, 02:47 PM
Mate good score, cant wait to see it all tuffed up down at Loveday

bet the ol boy you bought it off would love to see it all tuffd up 2....... not hahaha

It looks like a bad ass with these tyres on...lol...I reckon the ol boy who I bought it off would be pretty unhappy with how I'm treating it now...lol

Underneath was brand new when I got it and now It's getting a hammering...lol

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 02:52 PM
It looks like a bad ass with these tyres on...lol...I reckon the ol boy who I bought it off would be pretty unhappy with how I'm treating it now...lol

Underneath was brand new when I got it and now It's getting a hammering...lol

Oh well, it's yours now ... LOL ... what is next on the list of toys?? Lift?? Lockers?? Reduction gears?? Storage/shelving system?? ... oh, hang on ... that's my wish list!!! LMFAO ... what's yours???

AB
15th March 2011, 03:19 PM
Oh well, it's yours now ... LOL ... what is next on the list of toys?? Lift?? Lockers?? Reduction gears?? Storage/shelving system?? ... oh, hang on ... that's my wish list!!! LMFAO ... what's yours???

Yep, I'm getting a 3" lift very very very soon....in the next 3 weeks!

Then I'll put on a snorkel, then the drawers at the back to match up to the height of the seat folded down for a bed.

Spotties, turbo, lockers will come along one day too!

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 03:31 PM
Yep, I'm getting a 3" lift very very very soon....in the next 3 weeks!

Then I'll put on a snorkel, then the drawers at the back to match up to the height of the seat folded down for a bed.

Spotties, turbo, lockers will come along one day too!

Nice!!!! I love the process of building bit by bit ...

ambition
19th March 2011, 06:30 PM
nice. If I can find something even close to that level of newness i'll be stoked.

Love the personalised plates.

YNOT
19th March 2011, 06:32 PM
AB really found the needle in the hay stack when he found bluey.

Tony

AB
19th March 2011, 11:21 PM
AB really found the needle in the hay stack when he found bluey.

Tony

Having say this though I was going through the hay bale for a long time though Tony...lol

Got paid for a side job the other day so stay tuned for a 3" lift coming up soon.

Also having a look at some bargain 35" BF muddies tomorrow from a girl who just bought a Tojo and it came with 5 x 35" BF's including rims.

She just wants them gone and only wants $400 as she has bought 31" tyres...lol...Love it!

I think there is only about 50% tread but still a bargain in my books....Will see how they are tomorrow.

AB
20th March 2011, 04:28 PM
Went to check out the 35"s as above today. Her roomates advised her that the tyres are worth a lot more then $400...lol..Bummer.

Anyways, went to have a look and they only had about 30% tread left, the sides had cracks and the offset was ridiculous...If I put them on the GQ they would stick out like a soar thumb.

Back to the Mongrels for the time being...

Maxhead
20th March 2011, 04:40 PM
Went to check out the 35"s as above today. Her roomates advised her that the tyres are worth a lot more then $400...lol..Bummer.

Anyways, went to have a look and they only had about 30% tread left, the sides had cracks and the offset was ridiculous...If I put them on the GQ they would stick out like a soar thumb.

Oh well, can't win'em all I suppose. No doubt you'll find some soon

growler2058
20th March 2011, 06:08 PM

Sounds like the room mate was wrong HA probably drives a tojo 2 hahahaha

AB
21st March 2011, 02:35 PM
Just booked Bluey in for a lift next Monday.

I'm getting a 2" OME, can't wait!

I'm only getting 2" as I can't be bothered with the stress of police in my area. My area is flooded with police on the weekends with the amount of bikers around...

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 02:40 PM

I'm only getting 2" as I can't be bothered with the stress of police in my area. My area is flooded with police on the weekends with the amount of bikers around...

Will still the look the goods, and only serve to enhance an already capable rig mate! Nice!

DX grunt
21st March 2011, 02:51 PM

I'm only getting 2" as I can't be bothered with the stress of police in my area. ...

So the only stress you have is Carlton winning every weekend? IMHO, that's more than enough to worry about. lol

MudRunnerTD
21st March 2011, 04:58 PM

Hey AB, great choice mate. You will love it. only advice would be go a 2" GU kit for your GQ and you will gain an extra inch and still be legally called a 2" kit.

AB
21st March 2011, 05:15 PM
Hey AB, great choice mate. You will love it. only advice would be go a 2" GU kit for your GQ and you will gain an extra inch and still be legally called a 2" kit.

mmm....Intwesting....lol

Cheers MR

AB
21st March 2011, 05:32 PM
Legend, cheers MR...Just booked the GU lift in now....Thanks!

Bloggsy
21st March 2011, 07:21 PM
Bluey's lookin' good AB, can't wait to see it with the lift. Are those Mongrels bigger (in diameter) than the average 33". They look like a 34/35"?

big_fletch
21st March 2011, 07:25 PM
Can't wait to see some pics of the lift AB, you should be very happy with the OME.. Everybody raves about it lol

AB
21st March 2011, 08:19 PM
Bluey's lookin' good AB, can't wait to see it with the lift. Are those Mongrels bigger (in diameter) than the average 33". They look like a 34/35"?

Yeah I think the lugs stick out to make it more like a 34.

I can't really use these on the roads though as they are remoulds and if I still have these by Easter 2012 then I will be putting on the 31"s and bringing up a 6x4 trailer...lol

AB
26th March 2011, 07:32 PM
Welded up a 100mm pipe fitting to the square outlet on the airfilter today all ready for the 4" snorkel to go on next week.

This will be 100% water tight and much better then the poxy square rubber outlet.

I'll paint it up, pretty it up and fit it properly tomorrow but should work a treat!!!

Blueys first mod...lol

Bigrig
26th March 2011, 07:36 PM
Welded up a 100mm pipe fitting to the square outlet on the airfilter today all ready for the 4" snorkel to go on next week.

This will be 100% water tight and much better then the poxy square rubber outlet.

I'll paint it up and fit it properly tomorrow but should work a treat!!!

Blueys first mod...lol

Top effort mate!!! As said, will be better than anything off the shelf ...

AB
26th March 2011, 08:05 PM
Hey AB those Mongrels look excellent on Bluey. Can't wait to see it with the lift too!

And are you gonna cut that cow catcher off or leave it?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2939&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1299928570

Thanks Plassy, yeah I love em. They are only remoulds though so not overly confident sitting on 100km's for long periods.

I'll invest in some different tyres by Easter 2012 catch up because there is no way I'm sitting on a freeway for 10 hours with these tyres...lol

Yeah, I really need to cut that off. Been up to Toolangi a few times and it hits in every trench or mud hole exit.

AB
26th March 2011, 08:19 PM
Before you cut it, what's it worth? Maybe you could sell it and buy a steely with the money. That will give you scope to interconnect the steel bullbar to sidebars/sliders. That'll be a lot stronger than the alloy bar.

Yeah for sure. I'm keeping my eye out on Ebay for one too. I'm sure I could get $50-$80 for it maybe??

AB
26th March 2011, 08:26 PM
http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=alloy+bullbar+gq&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I'll keep my eyes on these ones on Ebay and see what they go for...Their not getting too much intrest though.

We should do another Vic meet up soon and head up to Toolangi again mate.

Ive found some good tracks up there for us...lol

AB
26th March 2011, 08:49 PM
Definately mate. Got any dates in mind?

No idea, I reckon in the next couple of weeks maybe just before Easter or straight after Easter time.

Bigrig
26th March 2011, 08:55 PM
http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=alloy+bullbar+gq&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I'll keep my eyes on these ones on Ebay and see what they go for...Their not getting too much intrest though.

We should do another Vic meet up soon and head up to Toolangi again mate.

Ive found some good tracks up there for us...lol

That third one is exactly the same as mine - as far as alloy bars go, it looks alright on the rig (of course, like most of us, I'd like a new one, but alas not to be!).

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2011, 01:02 AM
Legend, cheers MR...Just booked the GU lift in now....Thanks!

Hey no worries AB. is it on yet mate? cant wait to see it, you will be stoked.

Are you going to go a body lift? If you do at some stage and need a hand mate yell out, i have done 6 or 7 and its pretty easy. Looking good mate.

Clunk
27th March 2011, 01:56 AM
I'd say chop it off AB, as you know that's what I've done and now there's not so much of a hurry to go out and get a new one. lol

AB
27th March 2011, 09:21 AM
Hey no worries AB. is it on yet mate? cant wait to see it, you will be stoked.

Are you going to go a body lift? If you do at some stage and need a hand mate yell out, i have done 6 or 7 and its pretty easy. Looking good mate.

Cheers again MR, I might have to take you up on that offer one of these days...lol

The lift is going on tomorrow, I can't wait, I'll put some piccys up tomorrow night!

AB
27th March 2011, 09:22 AM
I'd say chop it off AB, as you know that's what I've done and now there's not so much of a hurry to go out and get a new one. lol

Yeah a new bull bar is not on the list at the moment so might have to choppy chop....

blake_gq4.2
27th March 2011, 07:04 PM
blueys comin along nicely mate good to see some nice gq patrols still getting around

AB
27th March 2011, 07:42 PM
blueys comin along nicely mate good to see some nice gq patrols still getting around

Cheers Blake, I'll be broke by Christmas but it will be one nice GQ...haha

blake_gq4.2
27th March 2011, 08:37 PM
Cheers Blake, I'll be broke by Christmas but it will be one nice GQ...haha

haha yeah mate i no the feeling but it will all b worth it

AB
28th March 2011, 10:04 PM
Ok, just got home after getting the 2" GU lift.

Super happy with the result...I have now got 65mm at the front and over 85mm in the rear.

It's very tight but after the drawers, spare tyre and all my cr@p goes in then it should settle down nicely.

Thanks MR for the GU lift heads up, love it!!!

Very poor photos as I left the camera cord at work and It's dark and Bluey got a little test out with the long way home from Yarra Valley 4wd centre...lol

I'll post some better pics up one day....

Bigrig
28th March 2011, 10:13 PM
Looks like a good ride height mate!!!

Dark 1
28th March 2011, 10:16 PM
Shit hot Andy, lift looks a treat, bluey's definately looking like he's got some balls.

Sir Roofy
28th March 2011, 10:17 PM
its looking meaner every time good job ab

AB
28th March 2011, 10:19 PM
The little bugger is finally coming out of his shell..lol

Can't wait to get it out now....

4" snorkel might be happening this weekend as the stainless steel pipe just arrived...

I'm really not keen on cutting the hole...lol...I'm going to use the nibbler on the cutting as this will be safer...lol

blake_gq4.2
28th March 2011, 10:19 PM
mmm thats the stuff, gotta love tough gqs keep it up AB :)

Dark 1
28th March 2011, 10:26 PM
Put lanotec or paint the metal edge that you cut so you don't get rusting metal later.

AB
28th March 2011, 10:29 PM
Put lanotec or paint the metal edge that you cut so you don't get rusting metal later.

yep, good call, thanks Kelvin and it gets covered up by the rubber elbows too so thats good!

Sir Roofy
28th March 2011, 10:31 PM
Its going to look meaner with that snorkle

AB
28th March 2011, 10:32 PM
Its going to look meaner with that snorkle

Yep the 4" pipe with the Mongrels and lift will be a good combo thats for sure!

Sir Roofy
28th March 2011, 10:38 PM
Cant wait to see it in the flesh

big_fletch
28th March 2011, 11:30 PM
Looking awesome AB, can't wait till I see it next, might have to sneak down for a look lol

Clunk
29th March 2011, 12:31 AM
nice work AB, that's a nice looking ride height, good tip on the GU shocks................ I take it you didn't require any correction and extended brakes whojammawotsits??????

the ferret
29th March 2011, 01:11 AM
Some 33s on er and she'll look the part Andy.

Clunk
29th March 2011, 01:20 AM
Some 33s on er and she'll look the part Andy.

think he's already got them on Ferret

timbar
29th March 2011, 02:12 AM
looking good andy .......good job cant wait to see the snorkel when it goes on

AB
1st April 2011, 10:40 PM
Well tomorrow the 4" snorkel is going on Bluey so can't to drill a 110cm hole in the side of her...lol

I'll do a full write "how to" post as well incase anyone is interested.

All up, I think you can do this for under $200 which is quite good for a good looking DIY 4" stainless steel shoooornkel.

AB
1st April 2011, 10:41 PM
nice work AB, that's a nice looking ride height, good tip on the GU shocks................ I take it you didn't require any correction and extended brakes whojammawotsits??????

Nah mate no whojammers or anything which is good...lol

AB
1st April 2011, 10:42 PM
Flecth mate, we are long overdue for a mission so feel free to give us a buzz if your coming through this way again mate!

Sir Roofy
1st April 2011, 10:49 PM
:beer:
well tomorrow the 4" snorkel is going on bluey so can't to drill a 110cm hole in the side of her...lol

i'll do a full write "how to" post as well incase anyone is interested.

All up, i think you can do this for under $200 which is quite good for a good looking diy 4" stainless steel shoooornkel.

lots of pics mate so we can see if you start to sway lol

AB
1st April 2011, 10:54 PM
:beer:

lots of pics mate so we can see if you start to sway lol

I've stopped drinking now Roofy...lol

Clunk
1st April 2011, 11:39 PM
Nah mate no whojammers or anything which is good...lol

excellent stuff, I'm a huge step closer to getting a lift also, maybe a couple more weeks and should be good to go................. looking forward to seeing how the snorkel goes

Sir Roofy
1st April 2011, 11:47 PM
i've stopped drinking now roofy...lol

ok still want a step x step run down

Clunk
2nd April 2011, 12:00 AM
is it on yet???????

AB
2nd April 2011, 08:18 AM
is it on yet???????

Today mate, doing it today...I'll post a full run down tomorrow on it.

Maxhead
2nd April 2011, 08:57 AM
Today mate, doing it today...I'll post a full run down tomorrow on it.

Hope you stacked up the fridge for the job mate...lol

Bigrig
2nd April 2011, 10:09 AM
Good luck boss - do all the template and cutting sober, the fitting can be done drunk with little effort!!!! LOL

Clunk
2nd April 2011, 10:59 AM
is it on yet? is it on yet?

Bigrig
2nd April 2011, 11:01 AM
is it on yet? is it on yet?

Are you drunk yet? Are you drunk yet?

Clunk
2nd April 2011, 11:02 AM
Are you drunk yet? Are you drunk yet?

maybe still a bit from last night lol

Bigrig
2nd April 2011, 11:04 AM
maybe still a bit from last night lol

Hahaha ... I meant AB mate!!! But good to know you're over cooked still !!! lol

AB
2nd April 2011, 11:35 AM
Hahaha ... I meant AB mate!!! But good to know you're over cooked still !!! lol

Just got a feed in and time to hit the cans...I mean hit the snorkel build...lol

Here we go...lol

Bigrig
2nd April 2011, 11:54 AM
Just got a feed in and time to hit the cans...I mean hit the snorkel build...lol

Here we go...lol

Good luck!!

Bob
2nd April 2011, 11:57 AM

Here we go...lol

Remember measure twice and cut once

MudRunnerTD
2nd April 2011, 03:29 PM

Here we go...lol

So that was posted at 11:05am....is it done yet? :sterb003: :eck05:

:drunk:

lol

Bigrig
2nd April 2011, 05:03 PM
Yeah seriously .. clocks ticking dude!! You're either paying far too much attention for a back DIY job, struggling with it, or falling into a drunken stupor and thinks it looks incredible even though it's sticking out the rear sliding window!!!! LMFAO!!!!

Clunk
2nd April 2011, 05:15 PM
this is like waiting for a nowoolies video roflmao

growler2058
2nd April 2011, 05:22 PM
The silence is deafening hahahahha

Maxhead
2nd April 2011, 05:25 PM
I bet he's got it on and then driven into his pool to see if it works and can't get out....LOLOLOL..............need a snatch with a GU mate????

Bigrig
2nd April 2011, 05:26 PM
I bet he's got it on and then driven into his pool to see if it works and can't get out....LOLOLOL..............need a snatch with a GU mate????

Hahaha .. Yep, it's a snorkel mate, not a periscope!!! LOL

MudRunnerTD
2nd April 2011, 06:16 PM
:smileyvault-cute-bi

Hey AB Day Light Savings Finishes tonight mate... and its getting dark...

:1092:

Get out of the bloody pool and post some pics mate :1087:

:SNruQWn369624407: :blowup:

AB
2nd April 2011, 10:11 PM
yeah yeah...lol

Well thank god it went well, very easy job folks and recommend anyone to give it a whirl.

Got very fancy and rolled some thick brackets nutserted into the body and it looks tough as!!!

Love it!

I'll post up a full DIY how to thread soon!

Sir Roofy
2nd April 2011, 10:21 PM
Very very nice ab how does it sound
you got any of that pipe left??

Bigrig
2nd April 2011, 10:23 PM
Looks a treat mate!!!! Well done!

growler2058
2nd April 2011, 10:26 PM
Very cool mate!! Job well done

AB
2nd April 2011, 10:51 PM
Very very nice ab how does it sound
you got any of that pipe left??

Yes mate, I still have 4 metres left as my brother isn't doing his now so I can still make 2 more sets up.

Well as you can see below it certainly does suck when you cover your hand over the snorkel end...lol...I hadn't tightened the hose clamp on the air filter in that vid as you can hear it try and suck air from it....

****UPDATE****
You can hear the air leak from the wire wound flexi pipe. I tightened the clamp but air still leaked. See below....Added more clamps and no more leak!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O34mePdWxTM

Clunk
3rd April 2011, 12:00 AM
that is one very nice job indede Andy, well worth the wait mate, nice one

Finly Owner
3rd April 2011, 12:03 AM
Bluey is looking very tough!

AB
3rd April 2011, 01:39 AM
Forgot to mention...

Link below of the 4" stainless steel snorkel build.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3502-How-to-make-your-own-4-quot-stainless-steel-snorkel

frenzy
3rd April 2011, 01:47 AM
Nice work! Makes me want to rip my Nissan snorkel off and build one like yours.

AB
3rd April 2011, 10:25 AM
Saw some birds trying to nest in the snorkel so found an old rabbit trap and used the plastic entrance way to put inside the elbow...Took a bit of effort but looks good and works a treat!

Damn birds...lol

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k604/batty626/snork22.jpg?t=1301788287

Bigrig
3rd April 2011, 10:26 AM
Saw some birds trying to nest in the snorkel so found an old rabbit trap and used the plastic entrance way to put inside the elbow...Took a bit of effort but looks good and works a treat!

Damn birds...lol

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k604/batty626/snork22.jpg?t=1301788287

Hahaha - should have let them nest - crack it over and boiled eggs for the trip!!! LOL

AB
3rd April 2011, 10:27 AM
Hahaha - should have let them nest - crack it over and boiled eggs for the trip!!! LOL

Mate It's crazy out here with the wild life...I just saw wedgies trying to get into the chook pen, went down to the shed and also found a bird inside the chassis of the old FJ45 truck...lol...

Bigrig
3rd April 2011, 10:36 AM
Mate It's crazy out here with the wild life...I just saw wedgies trying to get into the chook pen, went down to the shed and also found a bird inside the chassis of the old FJ45 truck...lol...

Ahhh ... Feel the serenity!!!! LOL

AB
10th April 2011, 02:13 PM
Just made up a set of drawers this weekend for Bluey.

Had to make the drawer sit to the right because of the baby seat strap unfortunately but works a treat and It's the right height to match up to the seat when folded down for a bed on those solo missions.

Bunnings has the carpet which comes close to matching the interior carpet and for $12m2 you can't go wrong!

I might make up little compartments on the left and right later on too match everything and fill the gaps.

timbar
10th April 2011, 02:27 PM
Nice job on the snorkel IMPRESSIVE !!!:1062::1062::1062:

NissanGQ4.2
10th April 2011, 02:28 PM
Lookin good mate, got 2 love what the baby seat straps does 2 the car seat.

AB
10th April 2011, 02:32 PM
Lookin good mate, got 2 love what the baby seat straps does 2 the car seat.

I know...lol...sacrificing a lot for my little princess....LMAO

big_fletch
10th April 2011, 03:52 PM
Very nice job on the draws and snorkel AB, looking tops mate:bigthumbup:

Timbo
10th April 2011, 06:36 PM
Well well, aren't we a sneaky bugger. Just couldn't stand me putting in dual batts so you had to go and put in some drawers haha!

They look mint mate, well done. Very slim and low profile which retains the vertical height in the wagon... something I need to address when I redesign my draw system.

Bonza!

Forced Offroad
10th April 2011, 06:47 PM
Just read through the build.........great looking rig AB
nice work on the snorkel, stainless snorkel looks awesome

Clunk
10th April 2011, 11:41 PM
Just made up a set of drawers this weekend for Bluey.

Had to make the drawer sit to the right because of the baby seat strap unfortunately but works a treat and It's the right height to match up to the seat when folded down for a bed on those solo missions.

Bunnings has the carpet which comes close to matching the interior carpet and for $12m2 you can't go wrong!

I might make up little compartments on the left and right later on too match everything and fill the gaps.

nice work AB, my my you have been busy lately

Pete's GU3
13th April 2011, 05:57 PM
Andy well done , i just spent the last 30 minutes watching bluey grow from a boy to a man....and i had 3 cans ....looks really good ...hope to make it to toolangi 4 june to see and{ test drive it..LOL}.....how's the OME for comfort...compared to before??

Wondering , can you apply the same process re the snorkel for a GU....?

regards pete

AB
13th April 2011, 08:15 PM
Andy well done , i just spent the last 30 minutes watching bluey grow from a boy to a man....and i had 3 cans ....looks really good ...hope to make it to toolangi 4 june to see and{ test drive it..LOL}.....how's the OME for comfort...compared to before??

Wondering , can you apply the same process re the snorkel for a GU....?

regards pete

Thanks Pete, for sure the same process will apply. I'm not too sure how it would look on the GU as the GQ has the arch flare which sits in nicely whereas the GU has no arch and would stick out the sides a bit.

Persoonally, I reckon it would look ok but some people might not like it sticking out that far.

OME is great. I used the GU lift on the GQ so It's quite tight and a little bumpy but I have just put drawers and tools in so now there's an extra 100kg or so and I expect it ride a lot better now but havent had a good run at yet it!

OME is great though, highly recommend it!!!

Pete's GU3
13th April 2011, 09:22 PM
I know...lol...sacrificing a lot for my little princess....LMAO

you might wanna throw an old bath towel under those straps

AB
13th April 2011, 09:24 PM
you might wanna throw an old bath towel under those straps

i was thinking that or some foam but I was worried if it came loose then the strap would be loose and dangerous if we had an accident.

Was also thinking of just bending some steel to hug around the seat?

AB
16th April 2011, 05:28 PM
Nothing to exciting but just picked up the $100 roof rack form the guy wrecking his GQ. I sooned realised why he was wrecking it...lol...He got severly T boned and the car was a mess on the passanger side!

It needs a bit of sandblasting and paint but will come up a treat. Might weld on some lugs and bolts for shovel and High Lift later on too..

Just in time for Easter!!!

Sir Roofy
16th April 2011, 05:39 PM
What a rip snorta mate looking good

HippoNZ
16th April 2011, 05:40 PM
Nice one AB, bet ya that'l come in handy soon!

growler2058
16th April 2011, 05:48 PM
Bargain mate

Clunk
16th April 2011, 07:06 PM
great find there AB, nice one mate

Maxhead
16th April 2011, 08:41 PM
Nothing to exciting but just picked up the $100 roof rack form the guy wrecking his GQ. I sooned realised why he was wrecking it...lol...He got severly T boned and the car was a mess on the passanger side!

It needs a bit of sandblasting and paint but will come up a treat. Might weld on some lugs and bolts for shovel and High Lift later on too..

Just in time for Easter!!!

What happened to the other half of it mate...lost in the t-bone..lololo

nah, just kidding mate. good find and looks like a decent one as well. Won't take much to give it a coat of paint.

AB
16th April 2011, 09:06 PM
What happened to the other half of it mate...lost in the t-bone..lololo

nah, just kidding mate. good find and looks like a decent one as well. Won't take much to give it a coat of paint.

I didnt want to take the focus off the new snorkel...LMAO

AB
17th April 2011, 08:19 AM
Would love to get some spotties on the new roof rack but the front of the rack sits almost a metre back from the windscreen. Is there any type of spottie that would work if mounted as attached example?

growler2058
17th April 2011, 08:35 AM
can you move it forward at all or would that look dumarse?

YNOT
17th April 2011, 08:59 AM
Roof lights work well mounted back level with the B-pillar, and it stops the light reflecting off the bonnet having them back a bit.

Tony

AB
17th April 2011, 12:08 PM
Cheers Tony, thats good!

can you move it forward at all or would that look dumarse?

Yeah I think it may look silly and having it right at the back allows me easy access to climb up to the rack.

I just put a toolbox up there with chainsaw, axes, fuel, shovel, recovery gear so I want to ensure I can get up easy, etc.

I know nothing about lights but I know theres a shipload of discussions on here so I'll start reading!!!

AB
3rd May 2011, 10:15 PM
Just picked up a second hand 12 month old still new ARB bullbar for Bluey at a rip snorting price I could not say no to...lol

Pick it up Thursday, Bluey is going to look damn sexy with this puppy on!!!

My misses is starting to crack it and is catching on to my web of lies regarding prices on my mods...LMAO

Clunk
3rd May 2011, 10:19 PM
great stuff Andy, nice find mate

Bob
3rd May 2011, 10:21 PM
Another Steal LOL

AB
3rd May 2011, 10:21 PM
Another Steal LOL

Dark alley ways are a gold mine Bobby...LMAO

DX grunt
3rd May 2011, 10:22 PM

Great stuff AB. You've got the bull bar, now you need a matching G banger and whip. LOLOLOLOL

Bigrig
3rd May 2011, 10:22 PM
Just picked up a second hand 12 month old still new ARB bullbar for Bluey at a rip snorting price I could not say no to...lol

Pick it up Thursday, Bluey is going to look damn sexy with this puppy on!!!

My misses is starting to crack it and is catching on to my web of lies regarding prices on my mods...LMAO

Great score mate!!! Time to create a completely new web of deceit to put her off the trail of the first web of deceit!!! LOL

DX grunt
3rd May 2011, 10:24 PM

"But honey, they made me do it" lol

AB
11th May 2011, 08:39 PM
Ok, nothing to write home about but put the new bar on Bluey last weekend. Makes a huge difference to the little guy...lol

Still haven't put the Mongrels back on...It's just one of those "I can't be bothered jobs"

Things to come soon when I can afford them

Winch
Decent recovery kit
Duel batteries
Fridge
Things to follow when my lotto numbers come up....

Turbo
Lockers
Scrub bars
Sliders
HID Spotties roof and bar

growler2058
11th May 2011, 08:43 PM
Nice one mate what breed of bar is that?

Sir Roofy
11th May 2011, 08:45 PM
looks a treat mate manly now well done

big_fletch
11th May 2011, 08:47 PM
Bar looks good mate, I like that better than the alloy one..
Can't wait to see the list getting ticked off mate, be good to see it again in person at the next meetup

timbar
11th May 2011, 08:50 PM
NICE..................... Andy its all coming together nicely.............. LOOKING GOOD MATE

Hey Sell the old bar for the next peice of the puzzle

Bigrig
11th May 2011, 08:53 PM
Looks the goods boss - very snappy attire for Bluey!! lol

AB
11th May 2011, 08:54 PM
Nice one mate what breed of bar is that?

It's an ARB bar off Gumtree. Got it at a nice price and the guy hardly used it so pretty happy all round.

It seems to be a fairly newish bar with the indicators on there too.

AB
11th May 2011, 08:56 PM
NICE..................... Andy its all coming together nicely.............. LOOKING GOOD MATE

Hey Sell the old bar for the next peice of the puzzle

I'm happy to sell the bar but not too sure you'll get much these days...If anyones interested PM me.

I should get a picture and put a post up when this bloody rain stops!!!

Forced Offroad
11th May 2011, 09:59 PM
Coming along nicely AB. Im also waiting for my lotto numbers to come up to..

AB
23rd May 2011, 09:07 PM
For $12 at your local car wash you can turn this...

Into this...lol

Just thought I would share some of the love and devotion towards your GQ...lol...Not a nice job sometimes, especially on a Monday evening!!!

growler2058
23rd May 2011, 09:14 PM
Colda saved $12 and planted a vege patch mate hahahahahahahahahaha

Warnie
23rd May 2011, 11:13 PM
Damn mud covered trolls are pretty, just they way they should be. All dolled up and ready to go...

Warnie
23rd May 2011, 11:13 PM
Where was that AB???

AB
24th May 2011, 08:44 AM
Where was that AB???

UP at Toolangi mate, it poured rain all day. Have a look here ---> http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4360-Andy-s-day-trip-Pouring-rain-in-Toolangi

Dark 1
27th May 2011, 11:39 PM
Come on Andy where's the photo's of the LED'S.

AB
27th May 2011, 11:55 PM
Sorry bud, been struggling to keep alive today...lol

Thanks to Dark Enterprises (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3076-Dark-Enterprises.) I just bought 2 of his interior block LED's with the 200 lumen light output.

One word...WOW!!!

They are seriously bright and work a treat. Especially the rear barn door light over the drawer system is a must have and to find stuff in the back is easy now!

Thanks mate, love them!

From outside the car with the lights on at night looks like a space ship just landed...lol

Dark 1
28th May 2011, 12:04 AM
Wow freakin aliens landing.

Clunk
28th May 2011, 12:12 AM
Bloomin heck mate, are you sure you still have your corneas after turning those on!!!!!!!????????? hahahahahahaha............................... Might have to see about getting one in the back for sure though, me like alot.

AB
28th May 2011, 08:01 AM
Bloomin heck mate, are you sure you still have your corneas after turning those on!!!!!!!????????? hahahahahahaha............................... Might have to see about getting one in the back for sure though, me like alot.

haha. Personal preference for the front but yeah must have for the rear roof light. Almost no shadows, thats how bright it is...lol

Bob
28th May 2011, 09:04 AM
I thought the Aliens had been banned on the Forum. RAFLMAO. Should be easy to find the Stubbies in the back now

nowoolies
28th May 2011, 10:21 AM
top looking rig AB
my kinda lights ALIENS hahahahahahaha
waiting on a report on some of those and marine strip lighting fron 1 bright one hahahahaha

AB
5th July 2011, 09:20 PM
Well It's been over a month and a half since I updated this but I have some good news!

Extended the home loan for this one but i just could not say no to the price I got this for.

Bluey is getting turbo'd very very soon!

I manage to find a factory turbo off 2001 TD42T and also managed to get the manifold off him as well.

It should arrive by tomorrow or Thursday and I am super excited!!!!

I'm going to check out Tony's helpful DIY thread. More then happy to fit it myself but a little skeptical in drilling holes in the block but we'll see how we go anyway.

I'm just after the 3" exhaust with the boost and pyro and then Bluey will be beefed up for action!!!

Stay tuned!

Might have to fly Tony down for an all expense trip to sunny Melbourne....LMAO

NissanGQ4.2
5th July 2011, 09:24 PM
Extended the home loan for this one but i just could not say no to the price I got this for.

Is the missus still talking 2 you???

Looking forward 2 seeing the update

AB
5th July 2011, 09:32 PM
Is the missus still talking 2 you???

Looking forward 2 seeing the update

Yes she doesnt know I have purchased it yet and if she does then my mate Todd from the forum gave me this old part for my engine for $25....BARGAIN!!!!....lol

big_fletch
5th July 2011, 09:38 PM
Yes she doesnt know I have purchased it yet and if she does then my mate Todd from the forum gave me this old part for my engine for $25....BARGAIN!!!!....lol

Bluey is coming along nicely by the sounds of it AB.. Will be awesome to get a turbo onto it mate, can't wait for a sticky beak next weekend lol

Bigrig
5th July 2011, 09:39 PM
Good stuff mate!! The kids schooling can wait, get that turbo brother!!!!! lmao!!

NissanGQ4.2
5th July 2011, 09:42 PM

think u purposely dropped some zero's off the end of that $25....... yeh that Todd bloke is a good lad, but how does one explain the extension on the house loan, let me guess the bank stuffed up *L*

AB
6th July 2011, 07:18 AM
think u purposely dropped some zero's off the end of that $25....... yeh that Todd bloke is a good lad, but how does one explain the extension on the house loan, let me guess the bank stuffed up *L*

Halve that figure again and then your in the ball park:cheers:

Dark 1
6th July 2011, 07:22 AM
Top buy Any, now Bluey going to have a bit of gu in him i'll let tuff come out & play with him.
LOL, nah good stuff mate, look foward to testing it out at the meetup.

Maxhead
6th July 2011, 07:31 AM
Well It's been over a month and a half since I updated this but I have some good news!

Bluey is getting turbo'd very very soon!

I manage to find a factory turbo off 2001 TD42T and also managed to get the manifold off him as well.

It should arrive by tomorrow or Thursday and I am super excited!!!!

I'm going to check out Tony's helpful DIY thread. More then happy to fit it myself but a little skeptical in drilling holes in the block but we'll see how we go anyway.

I'm just after the 3" exhaust with the boost and pyro and then Bluey will be beefed up for action!!!

Stay tuned!

Might have to fly Tony down for an all expense trip to sunny Melbourne....LMAO

The truck should have some grunt soon mate!!!

Just a quick one....Who's let the cat out of the bag?...Everyone is putting GU parts into their GQ's..Whats going on. Must be telling you something,hey!....ROFLMAO

AB
6th July 2011, 09:15 AM
The truck should have some grunt soon mate!!!

Just a quick one....Who's let the cat out of the bag?...Everyone is putting GU parts into their GQ's..Whats going on. Must be telling you something,hey!....ROFLMAO

As mentioned before, there are "some" good bits out of the GU that need to be bought over to the GQ's to create the ultimate beast...LMAO

Bob
6th July 2011, 09:21 AM
As mentioned before, there are "some" good bits out of the GU that need to be bought over to the GQ's to create the ultimate beast...LMAO

You are slowly turning Bluey into a GU by stealth AB.
Just arnt game to admit the GU is better
LMAO

YNOT
18th July 2011, 10:47 PM
AB, could you post up a photo of all the turbo kit components you have at the moment please.

Tony

AB
18th July 2011, 11:13 PM
AB, could you post up a photo of all the turbo kit components you have at the moment please.

Tony

No probs mate, will lay it all out and take shots tomorrow.

Forced Offroad
19th July 2011, 12:11 PM
good news on the power upgrade, i love the sound from the turbo with a 3".
looking forward to see the upgrade.

AB
19th July 2011, 08:39 PM
Hi Tony, photos of the turbo are below...

Some of the photos turned out poor so let me know if you need any better shots mate.

I think I need the following...NOTE: I am deleting items off the below list as I go along.

Tap 3/8 BSP to sump
block pcv holes
air filter
Missing clip for air filter housing

Bigrig
19th July 2011, 09:07 PM
Hi Tony, photos of the turbo are below...

Some of the photos turned out poor so let me know if you need any better shots mate.

I think I need the following...

T for water feed at theromo housing
Braided hose for water feed and connections
T for water drain
braided hose for water drain and connections
Braided hose for oil feed and connections
Weld drian pipe to sump. Use excess pipe on original oil drain and plug for now
Hose to suit oil drain
Hose to join compressor and wastegate.
block pcv holes
3" exhaust with dump pipe, weld on pyro fitting and no muffler - PURCHASING NEXT WEEK
pyro and boost guage get a pyro gauge with a hose clamp style thermocouple - GETTING SOON
air filter
Missing clip for air filter housing
rubber hose and clamps from turbo to cross over pipe connection
Gasket from turbo to dump pipe
New manifold gaskets - I'm not overly keen on the condition of these ones.

Crikey mate!! I never knew fitting a turbo was that complicated!!! I know stuff all about mechanical anyway, but full power to you for having a lash - it'll get sorted no doubt and can't wait to see it finished (and hear it on a video!! lol)

AB
21st July 2011, 09:15 PM
Just ordered the 3" exhaust, dump pipe, pyro and boost gauges and stashed those invoices deep inside the filing cabinet from the misses...LMAO

Can't wait to hear the sound of Bluey with the turbo and exhaust!!!!

I'll keep deleting the items listed above and ticking them off as I go.

YNOT
21st July 2011, 09:33 PM
These photo's show how restrictive the standard TD42 dump pipe is;

Compare that to the one you just ordered when it arrives.

And if you like the sound of a turbo diesel Patrol fit one of these;
Only slightly illegal!

Tony

AB
21st July 2011, 09:48 PM
Only slightly...lol...Yeah big difference in the dump pipes Tony!!!

AB
23rd July 2011, 11:20 AM
Picking up Rosscos TD42 engine was the best thing I could have done.

Chatting to the guys at Patrolapart and they can tap the oil drain plug in the sump for me which is great.

Also, having a look at Rosscos turbo will be set up exactly the same as mine.

I'm going to remove Rosscos braided lines and just take them all to Pirtek and say "Give me another set of these"...Knowing they will fit the block and turbo....It could not have worked out any better.

patch697
23rd July 2011, 11:25 AM
Old mate.... When it falls in your lap,,,,,, it really falls in your lap......

Won't be long new.............&......... WooHoo

AB
23rd July 2011, 06:45 PM
'Well today I pulled off all of Rossco's oil and water lines and fittings, etc to take to Pirtek next week and match up.

This has worked out perfect so I dont have to guess any fittings or lengths...Super happy!!!

Well undoing the banjo bolt on the water feed turned out to be a nightmare. I slipped with the shifter and pulled my finger nail half out of It's place.

See below....lol....Two fingers in the middle are both my little fingers that used to be the same length....Doesn't look like much but damn there is going to be throbbing pain tonight, can't wait!!!!....LMAO.

Woof
23rd July 2011, 09:06 PM
Always use the right tool for the job mate...............not shifters...lol

Clunk
23rd July 2011, 09:18 PM
Mate!!!!!! I can't wait to see and hear this thing finished, nice one......

AB
24th July 2011, 09:00 PM
Hi Tony and CO....

I put my turbo onto Rossco's engine today to see how the original TD42T oil and water pipes lined up and what I could utilize, etc...

I need to ask if you think I could utilise the full length of the water feed pipe and tap into it as per attachment or is that too close for a rubber hose to the heat off the manifold?

I'm really not sure if this is too close or not...It would perfect though....If not, I will just get it cut down next to the turbo itself and utilize the banjo bolt set up off the turbo.

AB
24th July 2011, 09:02 PM
Here are some other photos which may help someone else out at some stage.

YNOT
24th July 2011, 10:02 PM
Hi Tony and CO....

I put my turbo onto Rossco's engine today to see how the original TD42T oil and water pipes lined up and what I could utilize, etc...

I need to ask if you think I could utilise the full length of the water feed pipe and tap into it as per attachment or is that too close for a rubber hose to the heat off the manifold?

I'm really not sure if this is too close or not...It would perfect though....If not, I will just get it cut down next to the turbo itself and utilize the banjo bolt set up off the turbo.

I think that would be too close to fit a rubber hose considering you won't be fitting a heatshield initially, a high temp braided hose would be OK.
If you were to cut the pipe between the left and middle arrows (first photo) then it should be OK for a rubber hose and would also leave the front mount for the pipe in place, you could easily make and fit a small heatshield over the front of the exhaust manifold for added protection.

Tony

AB
24th July 2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks Tony, I'll do that, much better idea and the flow should be ok up there without a severe bend.

Also, as below...I'm pretty confident I can utilize the oil feed pipe onto mine as well.

The below picture is a proper scale line of the oil feed and how it can be bent down to fit over the TD42 N/A feed bung. Both the TD42T and TD42 N/A oil feed holes on the block seem to be the exact size too.

I also just put the pipe over my knee and bent it a whisker and it seemed soft without any feeling of cracking, etc so I will get an extra small banjo bolt and see how I go.

The beauty is I can hook my manifold and turbo up to Rosscos engine and try to roll the pipe very carefully and match it up to his hole which is obviously the same.