PDA

View Full Version : dizzy condenser unit, '90 model GQ4.2L

scotchpom
30th January 2011, 01:16 PM
how crucial is it to install a new condenser unit when installing new contact breaker points....the manual says to discard the old one but location of a new part has me putting the old one back on....I've put a new coil on aswell so i'm thinking the old unit isn't going to last long if it works at all....the new part listed for the TB42 at repco has no earth wire coming out of the unit, only one wire that splits, with one going to the contact breaker, and the other with a single plug, nothing like the old one, doesn't even have the right seating for the distributor, he doubled and tripled checked and it was the unit listed for the '90 model GQ...???....what do you guys reckon...any suggestions???

scotchpom
30th January 2011, 01:25 PM
oh and another thing....if the rotor button was facing the first cylinder plug point, should the conact breaker rubbing block be on the cam lobe ?....on the high point of the cam lobe even...

YNOT
30th January 2011, 02:36 PM
The condensor is what stops the points arcing out as they open and close. If it's not working properly the points will burn out in a very short time. Keep an eye on the condition of the points, if they need filing and adjusting every few thousand kilometers then it's time for a new condensor. The condensor should not need to be replaced every time the points are replaced, maybe every 2nd set.

Points gap needs to be set with the rubbing block on the high point on one of the lobes, it does not matter which one.

The spark plug fires as the points start to open, so the rubbing block should be coming up on the lobe as the rotar button points to the point on the distributor cap.

Tony

scotchpom
30th January 2011, 03:28 PM
I still gotta set the points and all, just gotta rotate the motor a little to get on the high lobe, I gonna try get a new condenser but the old one should suffice for now and i'll keep an eye on it like you said....thanx for the advice mate.