PDA

View Full Version : Auto gearbox symptoms

joejtss
21st January 2014, 10:35 AM
I decided to open topic about my gearbox problem, it doesn't work properly. i'll try to explain what problems i have exactly. i hope you will help me.

1. When i select "D" (drive) postition, "2" or "1", car starts moving very slowly, it doesn't have power, when i push gas pedal it has no reaction, it still continious moving slowly.
when point approachs 2000 r/min then i feel a bit power.
It doesn't do "kick Down" too, when i push gas pedal it doesn't cluch down to accelerate.

2. Gearbox starts working from the gear i have selected, for example: If i select "2" position, it starts from second gear and not from 1st gear, it doesn't bear if the car is stopped and starts moving.

3. POWER light isn't on but came on once recently it doesn't show if i select AUTO/POWER, it's permanently off however the hold light shows

4. when i move 50-60km/h speed and select "D" position gearbox doesn't select in "3" gear, it just stays in 2nd

5. I took the gearbox sump off today and there was no contamination ant the magnet was virtually spotless the ATF fluid is still nice pinky red and shows no sign of contamination.

6. I have tried to put it into self diagnosis but with the power light not showing it won't diagnose

Sorry for the big post but I'm need to give a good description.

threedogs
21st January 2014, 12:10 PM
What year what..... model all info will help.
best I can suggest is get it serviced

Wine_maker
21st January 2014, 02:44 PM
Oil, how does it smells, and what about oil brightness?

joejtss
21st January 2014, 05:34 PM
Its a 99 safari the colour of the oil is bright it doesn't smell burnt at all... Its almost like the box isn't turning on so to speak ...although I've checked the ecu for power ... Ive also checked the inputs to the ecu ... The position switch inputs the temp sensor the power and hold switch is switching correctly to. I believe the transmission to be a re4r03a ??? If this is the case I refilled the oil but it wouldn't take the 11.8 litres its was sitting in the dipstick tube after 11. Not sure what my next move should be ??

Wine_maker
21st January 2014, 05:56 PM
Just in case.

Unplug + wire from your accumulator and leave a car without electricity for a hour.
May be reset of gear's computer will help.

How long do you have this problem? I mean is it all happened in one day or became worst after small malfunction during week or month?

joejtss
21st January 2014, 08:22 PM
Hi there wine maker, I got this truck as a partial runner so I don't know for sure when it last worked correctly .... The injection pump timing was way out initially so I have now sorted that starts and runs fine the gearbox is the next puzzle to solve .... When you say accumulator do you mean the battery ?? Sorry for my ignorance ... Joe

Wine_maker
21st January 2014, 11:57 PM
Yap, I mean battery (sorry for my english). This is the easiest thing you can do in the beginning of searching.

joejtss
22nd January 2014, 07:38 AM
Battery disconnected for 2 hours .... Re connected and then turned ign on power light came on constantly for about 60 seconds then went off ... The plots thickens !!! Help!!!

joejtss
22nd January 2014, 07:46 AM
Also, today it had a friend from the local Nissan dealer come over with there 'diagnostic ' tool a consult 2 and he couldn't connect to the gearbox module but he could to the airbags and abs .... Does anyone know if the re4r03a transmission is readable on a 99 safari ?

Joe

NissanGQ4.2
22nd January 2014, 08:46 AM
Also, today it had a friend from the local Nissan dealer come over with there 'diagnostic ' tool a consult 2 and he couldn't connect to the gearbox module but he could to the airbags and abs .... Does anyone know if the re4r03a transmission is readable on a 99 safari ?

Joe

Sorry Joe, Not sure on the GU auto boxes, I do know on the GQ auto boxes the diagnostic tool will not read anything on the auto transmission

joejtss
22nd January 2014, 08:59 AM
Sounds the same I think.... I've just ordered a secondhand ecu from eBay it's for a 3.0d but it was only cheap so hopefully this will eliminate or confirm ecu ;-)

NissanGQ4.2
22nd January 2014, 09:23 AM
ECU or TCU?

ECU = Engine Control Unit
TCU = Transmission Control Unit.

I assume they are still 2 separate units like the GQ's, not even sure if a 3ltr ECU would even work properly in a 4.2

Gearbox problems can be numerous things, Faulty TPS, Worn out friction plates, the list is endless unfortunately and is a matter of eliminating them one by one.

I have not really looked at the GU manual on here but it may have a list of things to check and in what order like it does for the GQ's

If you have a reliable Transmission mob over there I would pay them a visit.

joejtss
22nd January 2014, 09:44 AM
Sorry poor terminology tcu yes......there are 2 unit I've just called the tcu the gearbox electronic control unit (ecu) ... My mistake... My thinking it was going to work properly as I'm sure the mapping will be different for different engine characteristics.....? There lots of auto transmission repairers just none close by... So it will have to be transported abot 200k's... So my thinking of changing the tcu If the tcu is u/s then hopefully a swap will at least help me hopefully eliminate or not as the case maybe.... I know it's a long shot but gotta be worth a try ?

NissanGQ4.2
22nd January 2014, 09:53 AM
It is a long shot but exactly the same thing I did when I had problems with my GQ auto, I was lucky enough 2 have the opportunity to borrow my uncle's Patrol and swap them over. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem and a full rebuild of the gearbox followed. Found a few worn friction plates, broken wire on one of the temp senders.

joejtss
22nd January 2014, 05:36 PM
That's the thing .... I've checked all the inputs to the tcu position sw, voltage, revolution sensor temp sw temp sender auto !
/power/hold switch and as far as I can tell there all there inc good earths ....there's no outputs to he box although I can simulate and actuate the shift solenoid a .... Took the pan off the box no debris in there had the filter of and clean. As a whistle fluid was a good colour .... Unless I'm missing the obvious which is highly probable ... :-) I followed your rebuild thread very impressed there mate good work fancy a plane trip to 'old South Wales' if the ecu doesn't fix mine?? Lol I won't mention Johnny wilkinson and you could tell me how much of a docking were getting in the cricket !!! ;-)

altech
22nd January 2014, 05:48 PM
Hi Joe, mine was playing up like yours, found that the timing was out a lot . don't know if yours is petrol regards Alex

NissanGQ4.2
22nd January 2014, 06:34 PM
3. POWER light isn't on but came on once recently it doesn't show if i select AUTO/POWER, it's permanently off however the hold light shows

I'm unfamiliar with the GU setups, but mine in the GQ is a 3 way switch...... Up - Power, Middle - Auto, Down - Hold

Selecting Power a light comes on ( think orange )
Selecting Auto there is no light
Selecting Hold a light comes on ( think Green )

So what does yours do when you change from power 2 auto 2 hold back 2 auto???

NissanGQ4.2
22nd January 2014, 06:37 PM
Hi Joe, mine was playing up like yours, found that the timing was out a lot . don't know if yours is petrol regards Alex

Alex, so I assume fixing your timing fixed your gearbox issues then?

joejtss
23rd January 2014, 09:11 AM
Mine doesn't do anything it won't light the power light at all ... I've checked it works tho Alex mine is a diesel 4.2t

NissanGQ4.2
23rd January 2014, 09:57 AM
Mine doesn't do anything it won't light the power light at all ... I've checked it works tho Alex mine is a diesel 4.2t

How did you test it, have you taken the switch out to make sure its connected properly. So it doesn't light in the Hold position either?

If this isn't working how it should than it could be the reason for your issues

I'm no mechanic far from it but sounds like its in the stuck in the Hold position and holding second gear when in Drive

Yendor
23rd January 2014, 01:13 PM
Does your reverse light at the rear of the vehicle work? you will need to have the ignition on.

altech
23rd January 2014, 06:58 PM
Alex, so I assume fixing your timing fixed your gearbox issues then?
Yes when I did the timing as most of the time I run my car on lpg . Week before Xmas , the lpg stop working and the Auto Elec got me going on petrol and boy run like shit . eg no power when you put the foot down , it would pick up ,but gear changing was very long. changed the timing , it was like running on lpg again , nice running of gears too regards Alex

joejtss
24th January 2014, 04:58 AM
It shows green in the hold position on light when its in a/t and I used a fly earth lead on the output pin of the tcu to replicate it being switched into power mode and it illuminates.... I also checked the switch function was correct as per the wiring diagram ... So this lead me to belive it had no output ... I'm probably way off ;-)

NissanGQ4.2
24th January 2014, 04:23 PM
It shows green in the hold position on light when its in a/t

???? What do you mean by A/T???, it should only illuminate green when you have it switched into the hold position

joejtss
24th January 2014, 07:23 PM
Its the Welsh English again it is like this

A/t the middle position ... = no light
In hold = green light
In power = no light
Switch tested using multimeter on continuity
Switch is connected correctly
I also checked the Wiring for continuity
The orange light for power has been checked for operation and illuminates if tested on the bench using a power source not when its connected to the trol wiring loom
Apologies for being un clear
Joe

NissanGQ4.2
24th January 2014, 07:34 PM
Its the Welsh English again it is like this

A/t the middle position ... = no light
In hold = green light
In power = no light
Switch tested using multimeter on continuity
Switch is connected correctly
I also checked the Wiring for continuity
The orange light for power has been checked for operation and illuminates if tested on the bench using a power source not when its connected to the trol wiring loom
Apologies for being un clear
Joe

I wouldn't say you have been un clear.

Can you answer Rodney's question for us

Does your reverse light at the rear of the vehicle work? you will need to have the ignition on.

Thanks

Todd

joejtss
27th January 2014, 07:37 AM
Hi guys yes the reverse lights are working .....

joejtss
29th January 2014, 07:59 PM
Ok update .... I ordered a tcu from eBay its off a 3.0td diesel mines a 4.2td plugged it in and it now runs thru the the gears .... If I put it in d it pulls off in 1st it changes to 2nd and 3rd it isn't so keen to go into 4th though unless your going 65 mph approx then it changes to 4th the o/d seems to work too just the staying in 3rd for too long seems to be the only problem. The hold and power buttons work if you switch them on to either mode but I'm nott 100 % sure of the correct method of what they are supposed to do ... Maybe someone could advise.???