PDA

View Full Version : !!!!urgent!!!! Will gq brake booster fit mq-mk

MS29431
29th January 2011, 10:51 AM
Hey guy's ive been looking around wreakers and found brake boosters but they are either mq-mk sd33t (turbo) or gq....
Ive got a sd33 non- turbo are they inter changeable????? No one can tell me during the week booster crapped itself pissing brake fluid out at a great rate!!
Went to a brake place..... No listing for sd33 non turbo boosters....great! Then went to bursons and repco and again no listings!!!..
But have found a wreaker that has plenty of sd33 turbo ones and gq ones but i dont want to waste my money on one that wont fit!!!
Any urgent reply's would be great... Ms

patch697
29th January 2011, 10:55 AM
When you say P!ssing out fluid are you referring to the Brake Booster or the Brake master cylinder???

MS29431
29th January 2011, 10:59 AM
Between the booster and firewall
so booster "i think" but i'm gonna try to get the whole unit

YNOT
29th January 2011, 11:02 AM
The booster is a vacuum unit, if there is fluid in it it is because the master cylinder is leaking. I can't help with interchangabillity.

Tony

patch697
29th January 2011, 11:05 AM
That might be a good idea as the booster should not have fluid in it at all & if it does its shagged.

I cant help you with your initial question unfortunately but someone else probably can.

MS29431
29th January 2011, 11:12 AM
This may sound stupid but "are you sure" if so i might as well buy a new one 'ey!
And by master cyl you are talking about the slave cyl bolted to the booster as shown in pic......yes?

YNOT
29th January 2011, 11:17 AM
Master cylinder is what you have highlighted in the photo. The slave cylinder is on the gearbox.
There should not be any brake fluid in the booster, the only way it can get in there is from a leaking rear seal on the master cylinder.

Tony

MS29431
29th January 2011, 01:34 PM
Thankyou guy's, It always pays to check were the tell tale signs of a problem are before just replacing everything,
It is just the master leaking down the front of the booster to underneath and then running down etc
So i assumed the worst!.. Mike

MQ MAD
29th January 2011, 04:48 PM
The Brake master cylinder is the same in all MK versions of this model
The MQ version are different in the pipe exiting on the master cylinder,and the resevior are different
Any MK version will do ya

Just undo the 2 brake lines and the bolts of the booster and shes off
Fitting is the reverse,then full system bleed
Just check when you remove the master cylinder from the booster for crud and stuff in the booster cavaty,this must be cleaned out before fitting the new master cylinder

IF you buy the complete booster/master cyinder from the wreckers,make sure it still has fluid in it or theres a good change the seals will be dried up and no good
IF you do this then its just 4 bolts on the firewall (access from inside the cab up under the dash)and disconnect the brake pedal and the old ones out,and again fitting is the reverse of this
BUT it will still need a full system bleed

MS29431
29th January 2011, 04:54 PM
$165 from repco for pbr master cylinder,
its worth it saves buying a wreakers job just to have the same thing happen again 6mths later..
Just gotta wait till its in on tuesday...
Sorry about the stupid qtn's but if you dont ask you dont know, ms

MQ MAD
29th January 2011, 05:42 PM
Dont be shy,keep askin the silly questions

I just wish we had the advancement of the interweb many moons ago
Sheeet i woulda save a gazzilion $$$ and saved all those skinned knuckles

patch697
29th January 2011, 06:29 PM

The only stupid thing to do is not ask, you have a wealth of great members here & all there knowledge to tap into.

This forum prides itself on its sharing of information & the friendly lay back atmosphere needed so members like yourself can feel comfortable in asking any & all types of questions.

Remember a question is only something you don't already know the answer to & when it comes to Patrols & off read adventuring what better place to ask.

MS29431
29th January 2011, 09:56 PM
Well as i say to people there's no shame in not knowing somthing cause if you ask. then you know, and thats when you learn!
Thanks again guy's. ms

Woof
29th January 2011, 10:18 PM
its worth it saves buying a wreakers job just to have the same thing happen again 6mths later..

Hey mate as everyone else has said, there is no such thing as a stupid question on this forum, that is one of many things that makes us different to all the other forums and we are proud of it.

Finly Owner
29th January 2011, 10:25 PM
Don't throw away old master cylinder as you can rekit them for much less than new one, it's not hard.

89GQ
29th January 2011, 10:28 PM
Sorry about the stupid qtn's but if you dont ask you dont know, msNot a stupid question was there any fluid inside the car (footwell) where the rod comes through? Mine done it aswell,on a GQ though! Booster was fine just needed new master cylinder and it was fixed. One thing i done was put some fluid in the master cylinder before fitting, Makes bleeding easier, and the manual said it. Good luck, $165 sounds about right for the master cylinder.

MS29431
29th January 2011, 11:22 PM
I will rekit the booster thanks for the heads up,
and luckily there is no fluid leaking to inside cabin... lucky

MQ MAD
30th January 2011, 10:30 AM
89 GQ,
Yep thats a handy tip adding the fluid in the master cylinder pre fitting
You can actually pre bleed the master cylinder before fitting as well
Saves ALOT of air getting into the brake system

89GQ
30th January 2011, 12:27 PM
89 GQ,
Yep thats a handy tip adding the fluid in the master cylinder pre fitting
You can actually pre bleed the master cylinder before fitting as well
Saves ALOT of air getting into the brake systemYep i done it on my clutch master as well and does make bleeding easier and quicker, Just leave the blue or red tabs in where the lines hook up and put a rag under when attatching brake lines.

MS29431
4th February 2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks heaps for all your tips and tricks on changing my master cylinder,
I will re-kit my old one for a backup or whatever,
I even went to the extent of bench bleeding it before we fitted it,
All went well now it stops like its never stopped before...... almost stops too good
Thanks. mike