PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to install a 6.5 to replace my zd30

ThomasWatson
19th January 2014, 12:58 AM
Hey all just wanting to know rough figures on conversion to piss the stupid ZD off its rubbish

I see a fair few of you have them I want to go with a turbo intercooled one

MEGOMONSTER
19th January 2014, 01:05 AM
Hey all just wanting to know rough figures on conversion to piss the stupid ZD off its rubbish

I see a fair few of you have them I want to go with a turbo intercooled one

I'm not 100%sure but I think its in the 30-50k mark. Happy to be proven wrong.

Are you looking new or second hand.

the evil twin
19th January 2014, 01:13 AM
If yours is a ZD30CRD and in good nick Brunswick quote as of two weeks ago is $30,000 exchange (IE they get your engine and flog it off).
That was drive in, drive out, 3.9 diffs etc etc
I might add that isn't the P400 engine, they cost more

ThomasWatson
19th January 2014, 01:15 AM
Zd30 di done 325000 lol it's tired and i don't want it any more

oncedisturbed
19th January 2014, 01:18 AM
Brunswick quoted me 37k for my 4.8 when it died last year.

Have a chat ti Shaun100 as I think he did a conversion on his

ThomasWatson
19th January 2014, 01:19 AM
Yeah will do otherwise might just go buy a gu with a 4.2 in it and be done with it that way

the evil twin
19th January 2014, 01:35 AM
There are a couple of really nice 6.5's on Gumtree at the moment with heaps of fruit for 35 to 40 G's which is the cost of a conversion alone if your engine is blown/shagged

FNQGU
19th January 2014, 10:01 AM
I hear Brunswick now want mid 30's for a conversion job. If you can get one second hand, then it might be the best way to go.

A good 4.2 might be easier, but getting harder to find good ones too.

ThomasWatson
19th January 2014, 11:05 AM
Do you guys have a rough idea how much it would cost me to do a td42 conversion I can do all the work myself (motor mechanic by trade) just wondering what I need I know the motor and adapter to fit my gearbox but what else is needed

megatexture
19th January 2014, 11:26 AM
Is you use the search function I'm sure you will find the information you are looking for, now that ab fixed it there's no excuse lol

Gecko17
19th January 2014, 01:36 PM
Google either 4.2TD reconned or crate motors for sale... Not sure what else would be required ie wiring loom, adapters etc.

I brought my 6.5l 2nd hand. As ET said, alot cheaper to go down that road than the conversion unless you have coin to spare.

Love the 4.2TD but love my 6.5l even more.

Just my opinion tho mate.

ThomasWatson
19th January 2014, 02:16 PM
Google either 4.2TD reconned or crate motors for sale... Not sure what else would be required ie wiring loom, adapters etc.

I brought my 6.5l 2nd hand. As ET said, alot cheaper to go down that road than the conversion unless you have coin to spare.

Love the 4.2TD but love my 6.5l even more.

Just my opinion tho mate.

The problem I have is absolutely fark all torque couldn't even tow a little box trailer

Gecko17
19th January 2014, 02:34 PM
The problem I have is absolutely fark all torque couldn't even tow a little box trailer

My truck has more pull than a schoolboy! No worries about torque.

I believe that the diesel 4.2l is the same... the other guys will be better suited to giving you the low down on that.

I had a 94 4.2l non-turbo'd GQ, 2 patrols back. It was never going to set any land speed records but would happily pull a tandem trailer full of builders mix or sand etc.

ThomasWatson
19th January 2014, 02:42 PM
Yeah the ZD is a complete nugget and is slow up hills I would love to upgrade fit a 6.5 but don't want to pay some one to do it

the evil twin
19th January 2014, 03:26 PM
Yeah the ZD is a complete nugget and is slow up hills I would love to upgrade fit a 6.5 but don't want to pay some one to do it

If you are thinking of DIY for the love of modding and have access to decent tooling, stands, cranes etc then go for it

If you are thinking of DIY to save bikkies then maybe not such a good idea.

The guys doing the mods, Brunny and their agents, Bullit etc, have learnt all the tricks and have the jigs etc

If was doing a conversion I would go with a 4L80 toughened up, 4L85 or 6L80 auto tranny and get the marks GM tranny to Nissan transfer case adapter and just drop the whole bloody lot in.

MALS-GU
12th April 2014, 11:16 AM
I just priced a 6.5 Supercharged Chev Diesel April/14 from BULLET SUPERCHARGERS
The latest model Patrol that can have this engine is 7/2006 due to emissions.
P400 6.5Lt
4L80E AUTO
Total 46Grand! I almost fell over when he told me that.

For that money your better off going with a modern Duramax 6.6 it passes all emissions in later model cars

happygu
12th April 2014, 11:49 AM
Thomas,

The 3 Litre should be fine up hills with a decent chip.....

Rickie3
12th April 2014, 06:27 PM
$30K + for a conversion, thats drug money, I love my truck but couldnt justify spending that kind of coin, i'd sooner buy a new bus

MALS-GU
12th April 2014, 09:15 PM
$30K + for a conversion, thats drug money, I love my truck but couldnt justify spending that kind of coin, i'd sooner buy a new bus

Problem is if you want a V8 there's not much choice these days, getting off track but i also considered a New 70Series Wagon for a 4x4 with the 4.5lt CRD V8 (instead of Patrol And V8 Conversion) but i want an Auto and they are all Manuals. Wholesale Automatics Melb Quoted me 22Grand! for an Auto Conversion, Far out thats expensive! 70Series is still very dated and basic inside, at least i can do up a nice Ti Patrol with a 6.0lt LSX with Auto Box for around 25k? (I'm gusseing haven't priced that up yet & the old 3.0lt and G/Box must be worth something to sell off to help offset the exchange)

93patrol
12th April 2014, 10:04 PM
i know this is perth but here is pretty much a brand new car with a 6.5 turbo ready to roll
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Nissan-Patrol-2010/AGC-AD-13987376/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

MALS-GU
12th April 2014, 11:28 PM
thats interesting and a good price for a 2010 with this conversion. I never contacted Brunswick Diesel as it's to far but as said Bullet Cars QLD stated 7/2006 is the latest year a Mechanical Injected Diesel can be installed. I hope it comes with RWC and Engineered Emissions Plate?

93patrol
13th April 2014, 12:15 AM
I don't think they come with a RWC due to the fact it's in wa and we done have those over here but it comes with engineering plates and and such. But they are affiliated with a company in qld

MALS-GU
13th April 2014, 04:13 AM
I don't think they come with a RWC due to the fact it's in wa
yep realise that, Tassie is the same, but you still need a RWC if bringing into Vic or Nsw etc. I read somewhere a person brought a Brunswick Converted Patrol into Vic and Vicroads didn't accept the vehicle, what reason i don't know and i don't know if it got resolved? just have to be wary bringing any modified car interstate for re registration.
On the other hand I brought a tassie modded Jeep (4" lift n 35" tyres) done to VSB14 New National Regs and i was easily able to get it registered in Vic, but engine was standard.

This is why i'll deal with Vic companies for my Engine Swap, just easier/ less stress to do it in the state you reside.

93patrol
13th April 2014, 04:32 AM
I guess you would have to run it past vice roads next time you have to get your RWC for your car now see if there's an issue or not

Witblitz
29th April 2014, 07:14 PM
Problem is if you want a V8 there's not much choice these days, getting off track but ...)

I am an infrequent visitor on this site. Much more at home at the Patrol forum in South Africa where I am based.
A few years back I replaced my ZD30 with a Lexus 4l v8 (the 1UZ engine). Of course the quality of the conversion is key for it success, but can't help to think why this conversion is not more popular in Australia. The 1UZ gets imported from Japan from decommissioned cars there and is consequently dirt cheap. It has become the most popular after market conversion in SA for various models. Not just 4x4s.
Performance is similar to the TB48 but consumption is better. Still with lots of potential if supercharged.

Witblitz
11th May 2014, 12:59 AM
...I may have to bow out of this site soon as I'm looking to build a New Jeep JK ... thought id go with Patrol, but the JK and Melbourne Jeep Club is calling me back.:driving2:

Jeeps are great vehicles, but the thing with the Patrols is that besides being strong and capable, it is also great for overlanding, packing space etc.

MALS-GU
11th May 2014, 05:58 PM
ok its official, bought a new Jeep last week, i got another Shorty in Commando Green Color, love that color.
Now if Nissan ever brought the Shorty back to Australia i could of cosidered one of those, they were great fun, a mate of mine had one. I saw that Overseas they can still get them, GU Models! why did the ozzies miss out? there was and still is a big fowling of Nissan SWB Owners, Nissan must of missed out on millions not keeping them in Aus?

Ok got a new 4x4 to build now, a HEMI 6.4lt is going in.
The Hemi kit for 2012-2014 JK's was just released last April. Its the better option, i can use the same Auto Box, its like a factory fit using Chrysler Looms and ECU, Kit comes with everything you need, radiator, engine mounts, exhaust, the lot! it really is Plug and Play, and much cheaper than doing a one off Custom GM install.
I'm outa here!:bigthumbup:

Extrimal D
8th December 2014, 08:01 PM
Poles like to put the motors from Chevrolet. Volume 6.2 atmospheric V6, and 6.5 turbo V8.

Truckus
11th February 2021, 03:01 PM
I just priced a 6.5 Supercharged Chev Diesel April/14 from BULLET SUPERCHARGERS
The latest model Patrol that can have this engine is 7/2006 due to emissions.
P400 6.5Lt
4L80E AUTO
Total 46Grand! I almost fell over when he told me that.

For that money your better off going with a modern Duramax 6.6 it passes all emissions in later model cars

Totally concur.

That said I still love my 6.5 turbo...(I have to it still got a couple of years warranty...LOL) but cost is listed here https://www.brunswickdiesels.com.au/engine-conversion OK well it was...but in Feb 20 with engine, turbo, inter-cooler, adapters, cooling system and radiator full installation all fittings and plumbing and engineering on Truckus was 27000 AUD (cartage to and from is what ever you can arrange)

If that helps...I also spoke to a bloke who did his DIY, and he reckoned he wished he had paid to get it done by Brunswick as all the extras really add up and then there is the time and the sweat.

They also do the P400 cobra diesel conversion now ass well!

poopsie
11th April 2021, 07:18 PM
Just put in a ls3.Just done it goes awsome.Brand new ls3 around 11,000 dollars.

Truckus
12th April 2021, 12:06 PM
Totally concur.

That said I still love my 6.5 turbo...(I have to it still got a couple of years warranty...LOL) but cost is listed here https://www.brunswickdiesels.com.au/engine-conversion OK well it was...but in Feb 20 with engine, turbo, inter-cooler, adapters, cooling system and radiator full installation all fittings and plumbing and engineering on Truckus was 27000 AUD (cartage to and from is what ever you can arrange)

If that helps...I also spoke to a bloke who did his DIY, and he reckoned he wished he had paid to get it done by Brunswick as all the extras really add up and then there is the time and the sweat.

They also do the P400 cobra diesel conversion now ass well!

So..I am now really rethinking mine as I get more acquainted. Some fellas had trouble free motoring, others not so much. Sadly now, we are in the later. anyone considering this conversion should really read from here on in my members ride thread. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?51640-T-Ruckus-rebuilt-modified-2005-Y61-GU-6-5L-intercooled-turbo-ST-wagon&p=818263&viewfull=1#post818263

Basically forking out over 12K to get a 15000 km 10 month old engine replaced has really made me revise my opinion on the conversion.

I would suggest looking at the cummins 6bt option instead as they seem to have no where near the issues.

For those in WA interested in a Cummins 6bt rig https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/golden-bay/cars-vans-utes/gu-patrol-6bt-cummins-engineered-/1271604462

PeeBee
12th April 2021, 03:24 PM
The greatest issue with the Cummins conversion is the weight over the front axle. A guy in Shepp had one and was selling kits for the conversion, and when his went thru engineering it 'only just passed' with a factory front bumper and no dual battery system. There is an option from a mob in QLD that manufacture a totally new, double tube from axle housing assy that lifts the front axle load rating by 500KG, but that's another $4300 from memory, and only really for the GU unless you are already running the GU axle/diff housing in a GQ. They don't do rears either, so maybe this is another component if you want to run the bulbar,winch,dual batteries etc.

Truckus
12th April 2021, 05:02 PM
The greatest issue with the Cummins conversion is the weight over the front axle. A guy in Shepp had one and was selling kits for the conversion, and when his went thru engineering it 'only just passed' with a factory front bumper and no dual battery system. There is an option from a mob in QLD that manufacture a totally new, double tube from axle housing assy that lifts the front axle load rating by 500KG, but that's another $4300 from memory, and only really for the GU unless you are already running the GU axle/diff housing in a GQ. They don't do rears either, so maybe this is another component if you want to run the bulbar,winch,dual batteries etc.

That info is consistent with what I have read to PB. evidently the 6.5 turbo intercooler set up with donkey weighs in at just under 900 lbs all up, where as the 6bt with turbo and fruit is 1100 lbs.

The answer from the engineers is basically a GVM upgrade all around, and for the axle loading the portal axles from Marks do the trick there (and this needs doing also to get over 35s engineered as well up this way) that ups the GVM to 3780Kg , plus what ever else has been done with suspension and brake set up.

https://www.marks4wd.com/patrol-portal-axles.html

Not that my rig has much load over the front axles right now:blowup: and likely wont have until the end if next week if I am lucky.

PeeBee
13th April 2021, 06:16 AM
OK, so you go from an additional $4300 to $23000 on top of the kit, looking pretty ugly!

Truckus
13th April 2021, 01:00 PM
Or buy one already done....still for sale that one!

poopsie
4th June 2021, 08:25 PM
Mate dont bother with diesels,I have been a diesel fan since the 90,s but since the ls3 conversion in my 2016 gu Iwould never go back.The big diesels weigh to much,cost to much,and really do not go better than a ls3,Parts cost way less for ls3 and if you really go mad 650 hp is not a problem but stock 430 hp and 6500rpm is plenty with no engine mount welding if fitted to zd30 crd.