PDA

View Full Version : Visitors when camping

rkinsey
15th January 2014, 12:24 PM
Sometimes when you are camping, expect to have visits from insects, bugs, birds, spiders etc.

This cheeky little bloke was looking for a place to hide after being disturbed by some kids in the bush not far from us. The poor little fella shed at least two skins when my big bad bully of a wife let out a yelp that could of been heard in Tasmania. This 5 foot long green tree snake came under our camper trailer and popped his head around the corner of the esky (2 ft from where my wife was sitting) looking for a place to hide.

MEGOMONSTER
15th January 2014, 12:34 PM
My Niece found this praying mantis at the beach on the Murray.

rkinsey
15th January 2014, 12:38 PM
Nice one Megomonster! Doesn't look like she has been able to frighten the life out of him like my family would do.

Cheers,
Rob

mudnut
15th January 2014, 01:07 PM
The funniest encounter with animals in camp, was in an N.P. in Tassie, over 20 years ago. The family camping next to us went for a walk at around midday. We were eating lunch in our rented camper and witnessed a stealth attack. I swear the local brush tail-possums had been trained by a SWAT team. In broad daylight, a big possum strolled down the row of tents and checked each zipper. He found it easy to open our neighbours tent. He let out a shriek and a half a dozen possums appeared from nowhere. They all dived into the tent and started tearing into the food stuff and bedding. They were in and out within a couple of minutes but they had created a mess of tattered sleeping bags, food packaging, and had also left wee and poo everywhere.

MEGOMONSTER
15th January 2014, 01:11 PM
The funniest encounter with animals in camp, was in an N.P. in Tassie, over 20 years ago. The family camping next to us went for a walk at around midday. We were eating lunch in our rented camper and witnessed a stealth attack. I swear the local brush tail-possums had been trained by a SWAT team. In broad daylight, a big possum strolled down the row of tents and checked each zipper. He found it easy to open our neighbours tent. He let out a shriek and a half a dozen possums appeared from nowhere. They all dived into the tent and started tearing into the food stuff and bedding. They were in and out within a couple of minutes but they had created a mess of tattered sleeping bags, food packaging, and had also left wee and poo everywhere.

That would be horrible to return to, especially isolated out in the middle of nowhere.

growler2058
15th January 2014, 01:16 PM
Happened to me on Kangaroo island on a school camp but skippy and his mates got into our tent and stole lollies!

threedogs
15th January 2014, 01:22 PM
Had this bloke in camp up on the Murray I'm saying 6 foot ,was feeding on our discarded carp
Calling it as a lace monitor but happy to be corrected. This same place on Black Saturday saw Koalas walk straight through the camp down to the water.

Winnie
15th January 2014, 01:25 PM
Happened to me on Kangaroo island on a school camp but skippy and his mates got into our tent and stole lollies!

On school camp at the prom we made trails out of Shapes into the teachers tent and a wombat ate his way into the tent during the night Fark that was funny

TPC
15th January 2014, 01:33 PM
My wife ran screaming when this fella strolled under her chair and past her legs at Chowilla on the Murray.

Threedogs you are correct they are Lace Monitors.

threedogs
15th January 2014, 02:43 PM
he's a big one too.

rkinsey
15th January 2014, 03:02 PM
My wife ran screaming when this fella strolled under her chair and past her legs at Chowilla on the Murray.

I tell ya, wives can be pretty harsh on our wildlife. Probably scared the poor fella that much he would of aged 10 years!

rkinsey
15th January 2014, 03:10 PM

Possums are very smart animals when it comes to dealing with humans.

I spent two nights on Great Keppel Island quite a few years ago. I heard some noises in my room in the middle of one night. I sat up all bleary eyed, turned on the bedside lamp. Sitting at the coffee and tea making station on the sideboard at the end of my bed was this cheeky possum who had opened the sliding door and climbed up to get to the sugar packets. He/She looked straight at me with a guilty look on his/her face as if to say "Shit! I've been caught again". I went to the sliding door, opened it and the possum looked at me (still with a half opened packet of sugar hanging from its mouth) grabbed a hand full of sugar packets and quietly walked through the opened sliding door.

lhurley
15th January 2014, 04:49 PM

Tell you what, if i seen that thing crawling under my chair i probably would of sh!t a brick too.

Figjam
15th January 2014, 08:24 PM
My wife refused to use this long drop

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16903755/Frog.jpg

Clunk
15th January 2014, 10:36 PM
My wife refused to use this long drop

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

What's wrong with that? Jeez women are sooooooo fussy!!!!! :D;)

Cuppa
16th January 2014, 12:18 AM
Here’s a selection of ‘visitors’ to some of our camps.

Praying Mantis - at a ’secret’ west Kimberley coast camp spot

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/01/22.jpg

A Quokka at ‘Betty’s Beach, South West WA.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/01/23.jpg

Monitor at 4wd campground, Eungella NP, Qld

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/01/24.jpg

St Andrews Spider. Not sure where it was.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/01/25.jpg

Spangled Drongo - Merl campground, Kakadu NP

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/01/26.jpg

Brumby - Gunlom Falls campground, Kakadu NP

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/01/27.jpg

White Kimberley Bluetongue - Yellow River, West Kimberley. (something was moving under the tent’s groundsheet - it was this fat little fella)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/01/28.jpg

What’s up skip? - Lucky Bay campground - Cape Le grande NP, WA.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/01/29.jpg

Brolgas wandering past our camp at Wyndham caravan park, WA.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/01/30.jpg

TPC
16th January 2014, 12:21 AM
Some great photos there Cuppa.

TPC
16th January 2014, 12:28 AM
We came across this Carpet Python on Fraser Island, mates wife went to get the broom and freaked out a little when she saw it.
Nice to have non venomous snakes visiting, in SA they are all deadly.

Ned Fisch
23rd January 2014, 10:01 PM
Awesome stuff guys. I keep pythons, and I love seeing them out in the wild.
Here is one I recently had for a few days as I rescued it from a friends place.

2TROLLFAM
24th January 2014, 10:50 PM
This fella visited a few times when we were away @ Teewah - here he is having a nap with the cool breeze in his hair

We also had this rat looking critter trying to break into the peanut butter. Was cuter than a rat & in the grass it kinda bounced? Anyone know what it might have been? Didn't get a pic

2TROLLFAM
24th January 2014, 10:51 PM
What's wrong with that? Jeez women are sooooooo fussy!!!!! :D;)

Fussy??? I'd rather piss on a tree like a bloke than use THAT!! LOL

Clunk
24th January 2014, 11:22 PM
Fussy??? I'd rather piss on a tree like a bloke than use THAT!! LOL

All ya gotta do is put the seat down...... Bloody hell woman hahaha

jack
24th January 2014, 11:35 PM
No pictures but when camped at Punsand Bay I was sitting under the annex quietly watching a large rat like creature just on the edge of the Led lights late one night.
Slowly it moved under the annex when there was this almighty woosh and a large owl flew under the annex to catch it. Still have a vivid image of a very surprised owl trying to fly backwards out of the light when it spotted me. Frightened the crap out of me, I frightened the crap out of the owl and we both frightened the crap out of the rat.

The rat got away and it took a few minutes for my heart to return to normal rate.

2TROLLFAM
25th January 2014, 09:46 AM
all ya gotta do is put the seat down...... Bloody hell woman hahaha

bwhahahahaha !!

threedogs
25th January 2014, 10:10 AM
Sleeping next to a river crossing in Lakefield Nat Park[Cape York] I was woken by the sound of my enamel cup moving,
Whipped out the Mag-lite and found rats everywhere in our camp, I woke the other two up and hooked up the spot light.
there were tiapan snakes everywhere as well,, chasing the rats, we shot 2 tiapan in 2 minutes, and slept in the car

They are called kangaroo rats

and too all the women. now you too can pee on a tree next to your old man
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-Ladies-Women-She-Can-Wee-Urine-Urinal-Director-Funnel-Camping-Travelling-/171176744737?pt=UK_Health_HealthCare_RL&hash=item27daedd721

TPC
28th January 2014, 06:06 PM
Spent the weekend camping at Chowilla National Park and had 6 Lace Monitors regularly wandering around our camp and eating any carp we left on the bank.
One of them also decided to raid shrimp out of our bait bucket.

threedogs
28th January 2014, 06:12 PM
Black Saturday up the Murray again we had two Koala
walk straight through our camp and down to the water to cool off
They stayed there all day, close enough to touch them

MEGOMONSTER
28th January 2014, 06:15 PM
Spent the weekend camping at Chowilla National Park and had 6 Lace Monitors regularly wandering around our camp and eating any carp we left on the bank.
One of them also decided to raid shrimp out of our bait bucket.

When you said you wanted to get a decent lizard, I didn't think this is what you meant. Lol

Avo
28th January 2014, 09:27 PM
packing everything up yesterday and we had the ants make a new start on life in my duffel bag,must have been over 100 eggs and heaps more ants tending to them..

LachDiggityDog
28th January 2014, 11:22 PM
We had a Coastal Taipan come straight through our campsite at Straddie while we were all eating breakfast. My mates wife spotted it first and we all got out of the way and do you know what? We could all tell the snake was appreciative of us letting him pass. A very large beautiful snake but scary scary venom!

Gstone
1st February 2014, 12:53 AM
I woke in the middle of the night after feeling something move on my arm.. Turned on the flashlight only to find that what I'd felt was blood trickling down my arm, which by this time was covered in it. Took every bit of will power I had to remain calm long enough to figure out that half a dozen leaches had stowed away on me during camp setup earlier in the night. Not one of the most pleasant camping experiences I've had! :)

Drewboyaus
1st February 2014, 07:44 AM
We had a Coastal Taipan come straight through our campsite at Straddie while we were all eating breakfast. My mates wife spotted it first and we all got out of the way and do you know what? We could all tell the snake was appreciative of us letting him pass. A very large beautiful snake but scary scary venom!

That is a very confident snake. Good move to step aside!

Drewboyaus
1st February 2014, 11:00 AM
Sleeping next to a river crossing in Lakefield Nat Park[Cape York] I was woken by the sound of my enamel cup moving,
Whipped out the Mag-lite and found rats everywhere in our camp, I woke the other two up and hooked up the spot light.
there were tiapan snakes everywhere as well,, chasing the rats, we shot 2 tiapan in 2 minutes, and slept in the car

They are called kangaroo rats

and too all the women. now you too can pee on a tree next to your old man
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-Ladies-Women-She-Can-Wee-Urine-Urinal-Director-Funnel-Camping-Travelling-/171176744737?pt=UK_Health_HealthCare_RL&hash=item27daedd721

@threedogs
John,
That's about my worst forkin nightmare!

threedogs
1st February 2014, 11:06 AM
was back in 83 we considered ourselves the great white hunters, yeah right.
slept in the 4x4 that night, in the daylight all was good, went to fill the billy for a cuppa in the morning.
swear black and blue a Croc was looking at me as I dipped the billy in the creek crossing to get some water.
Hairs on the back of my neck stood up, could not get back to Cooktown quick enough

Was in Lakefield National Park. Driver got us lost going to the Tip but again a magical spot in FQ