PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Suspension Requirements

Sonterr
14th January 2014, 11:55 PM
Hey guys,

After picking up my 98 gu my heads been stuck between a rock and a hard place over my suspension :icon_bonk: Its currently not rwc'd because of its 4" lift in it.. obvious reasons behind that but i'm able to sort that situation through a friend of a friend.

Currently the plan is for it to only be a weekend toy on light-medium tracks/beach as I'm keeping my current car for my daily commuter. It's in need of shocks replacement on all four corners due to rubbers perished/rears leaking as advised by my mechanic..

So would it be worth the risk of boys in blue and a yellow sticker just replacing my 4" shocks or should I just go the financially crippling path of dropping the system from 4" to the legal 2"? If so what would be required in the drop reduction other than the obvious springs/shocks/caster correction?

Pic related - current sitting height with 4" coils and 33" bighorns
http://puu.sh/6kABQ.png

MudRunnerTD
15th January 2014, 12:33 AM
That looks taller than 4".

Your adjustable Panards may not adjust Down to suit a 2" lift. Stock ones are a Dime a dozen though.

It would be a cheap fix for springs and shocks.

Sonterr
15th January 2014, 12:47 AM
Car is parked on a bit of a slope so that might have an effect there, but i'll go measure it tomorrow to be sure either way

And that's what I thought it might have been, I'm sure ebay can deliver me a nice cheap set

89gqpatrol4x4
15th January 2014, 06:41 PM
Try 4x4 swap and trade I think its on face book, a mate finds heaps of great stuff on there! Other than that you could just risk it, it's not your daily and I know a few that run 4 inch lifts. Bare in mind in a big accident where the insurance companies will check everything you wont be covered!

BigRAWesty
15th January 2014, 07:01 PM
What brand mate?? Are you keen on a swap??

Sonterr
15th January 2014, 11:01 PM
Yeah I think i'll just leave it for time being and reassess situation in a couple months for a decent package, the furthest it'd travel would be an hour up/down highway to Tewantin/Cleveland. Actually chatted at a couple mechanic workshops on my work route today who by chance occasionally had a patrol running 3/4" who rarely came into any strife.

Any input on running 4" Dobinson shocks on all 4 corners from Superior? Seem to have a good report and are pretty cheap on the wallet for my situation.

@Westy FYI - Standard non-HD lovells springs I believe and was running procomp shocks on all four corners but not sure which model exactly.