PDA

View Full Version : Adding fans to my Engels.Whats needed?

mudski
14th January 2014, 12:38 AM
I have an old 32L Engel here and a new 75L Combi. Both don't run fans on the condensers. Is there a mod that is floating about that I can look at do add a nice big fan to the condenser? I reckon they'd run even better with a fan as they effing get hot when they going...

Cheers.:trink13:

megatexture
14th January 2014, 12:54 AM
Jcar have slimline fans of a few sizes that draw milli amps getting the right size would be the hard part

I thought Engels had fans?

threedogs
14th January 2014, 06:13 AM
X 2 Mudski just grab a fan from Jay Car and mount the fan ,theres not much under the shell .
I did this years ago when Engel first brought out their "turbo" model.
Use the square computer fans they have different flow rates.
Plus there is no insulation just inner and outer skin.

mudski
14th January 2014, 10:42 AM
Got the fans guys. I have enough computer parts here to build a super computer, so thats not an issue. Its the wiring up as they are 12v and 240V.
I found this guide but I'm wanting to know if there is a simpler way before I do this...
http://www.gpsoz.com.au/faninstall.htm

I even thought of just wiring directly off the 12V side so the fan only works when in 12V. That can be done easily enough...

mudski
14th January 2014, 10:43 AM
I thought Engels had fans?
Not all of them do. MY old 32L definately doesn't. MY Combi, well I can't here a fan running in there, but TBH I didn't look. I want to do the older Engel first anyhow.

threedogs
14th January 2014, 02:54 PM
wire it from the dead side of the 12v fuse easy as, just up the amp on the fuse a little, you'll find it much more efficient

@Mega the ones called "TURBO" and had a LCD had a fan

megatexture
14th January 2014, 04:10 PM
Got the fans guys. I have enough computer parts here to build a super computer, so thats not an issue. Its the wiring up as they are 12v and 240V.
I found this guide but I'm wanting to know if there is a simpler way before I do this...
http://www.gpsoz.com.au/faninstall.htm

I even thought of just wiring directly off the 12V side so the fan only works when in 12V. That can be done easily enough...

Yep I'd just be connecting it to the inside of the plug or if your patient you might be able to find some wiring that's dead until the compressor kicks in .... Personally I'd just solder it to the inside of plug, the fans draw bugger all and are rather quiet though you could put a switch on it incase you don't want the noise on at night

mudski
15th January 2014, 06:15 PM
Yep I'd just be connecting it to the inside of the plug or if your patient you might be able to find some wiring that's dead until the compressor kicks in .... Personally I'd just solder it to the inside of plug, the fans draw bugger all and are rather quiet though you could put a switch on it incase you don't want the noise on at night
Ah ha! Idea's man. Thanks.