PDA

View Full Version : MQ shorty with some issues

Madds
11th January 2014, 11:17 AM
Hi all,
i'm not a very mechanically minded person but i did enough of a tafe course to learn to service my cars, change disc brakes and sparks plugs etc. I know the basics. Recent my partner rolled his 80 series landcruiser so we bought a MQ 83' Shorty and i love it. But it has some problems..:1087:
1. Squeaks when letting the clutch out between gears, in particular 1st and 2nd.
2. Doesn't like the rain... It wont start in the rain. It makes all the turning over noises but just wont get going.

These are my main issues, it does need a good service and a tune, which i have never done a tune up before on anything but if anyone can shed some insight into these things i'd be so greatfull!

threedogs
11th January 2014, 11:44 AM
Petrol or diesel as for the clutch might just need a spray with crc or similar

happygu
11th January 2014, 11:59 AM
Hi Madds,

That doesn't sound too bad for an older vehicle.

If the squeak is minor, you could just learn to live with it ... :eek:

Does the squeak sound like it is internal in the cab. If it is, then check the clutch pedal pivot point and lubricate, and make sure that all the bolts/nuts holding the pedal assembly are tight.

If it is external, it could be coming from either the clutch itself, the throwout bearing, or even coming from the clutch master or slave cylinders.

If it is external, get someone to put their foot on the clutch pedal repeatedly, while you listen for the source of the sound from the outside ( Just be careful on any moving parts, and make sure that the vehicle handbrake is on and the vehicle chocked so you can't get run over if you get underneath.

As for not starting in the rain and it is a Petrol, it sounds like you may have a cracked distributor cap, or there is water getting into onto one of the ignition components somewhere ......

Basically the distributor rotates the rotor inside the distributor cap with the engine speed, causing it to pass by the distributor points, causing the high voltage to pass through the leads to the spark plugs ..... it sounds like moisture could be preventing this voltage from getting to the leads and spark plugs. See demonstration below....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W94iksaQwUo

Really, if your engine is ok, then it needs air, fuel, and spark to run ..... my best guess is that you aren't getting spark.

Mic

Madds
11th January 2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks very much for the advise. I'll check it out when i get home.
and yes it is a petrol 6cylinder L28 i think.