PDA

View Full Version : Strange noises

Parksy
10th January 2014, 08:51 PM
Hi all

Have been doing a lot of interstate driving lately with the patrol and now back home again. Anyway there's a slight humming noise coming from the gearbox when my foot is on the clutch and the car is stationary. When moving forward with gearbox in gear and foot on the clutch the noise isn't there, but if I come to a stop the noise appears. I'm thinking the spigot bearing within the flywheel is worn or dry or something. Anyone had similar occurrences to this? I really can't be bothered pulling the box out right now, but I think it's looking that way... :(

Cheers

Andy

BigRAWesty
10th January 2014, 10:20 PM
Is the clutch adjusted nicely? Or is it disengaging a long way down the pedal stroke??

Parksy
10th January 2014, 10:32 PM
It has always disengaged about 3/4 of the stroke. Been like this since I've owned it. The humming is only new. Should add that I can feel a slight vibration in the pedal aswell when the humming appears. I was thinking throw out bearing, but it's not consistent...

BigRAWesty
10th January 2014, 11:03 PM
Do we even have clutch adjustment On the hydraulic setups??

Sure Its not a normal noise that has changed with insulation?

Dales300exc
10th January 2014, 11:14 PM
Are you sure the noise isnt there when moving? Other noise might be making it unable to be heard. But with vibrate through the pedal and a hum id bet the release bearing is getting sad.

Parksy
11th January 2014, 07:31 AM
Westy, I wish, but it's a new sound. Dale, no it's very obvious that it's not there when moving. When coasting in 3rd down my street with my foot on the clutch the patrol is very quiet. If I slowly come to a stop with my foot still on the clutch the noise appears.

I have had a similar noise in the old landrover I own when I replaced the spigot bearing. But this one magically cured itself. Hoping for a miracle here.

BigRAWesty
11th January 2014, 07:43 AM
Anyway to get dirt / mud in the bell housing??

Parksy
11th January 2014, 09:43 AM
Don't think so. Haven't been through any water crossings and the clutch fork seal is relatively new.

BigRAWesty
11th January 2014, 02:16 PM
Well I think we have pretty much narrowed it down for you.
How old is the clutch??

Parksy
11th January 2014, 03:56 PM
No idea westy. Car has racked up close to 400000km. Took it for a spin in the morning and it made the noise. Held the clutch in for ages and the noise slowly went. Took it for a spin in the arvo and the noise is gone? Fixed?

I have a question. The spigot bearing is brass yes? Does it need lube, or is the metal itself lube enough?

BigRAWesty
11th January 2014, 04:19 PM
No idea westy. Car has racked up close to 400000km. Took it for a spin in the morning and it made the noise. Held the clutch in for ages and the noise slowly went. Took it for a spin in the arvo and the noise is gone? Fixed?

I have a question. The spigot bearing is brass yes? Does it need lube, or is the metal itself lube enough?

No idea. But any metal On metal needs lube if it's moves a lot..

Ill see if Georgie boy can chime in..