PDA

View Full Version : Shock length for 3" flexy?

CorbinsGUte
7th January 2014, 10:46 PM
Hey all, I scored a set of 3" flexy coils cheap as and now need to find some shocks to suit. been doing a bit of researching and just wondering if I go 5" front and 6" rear will I need drop out cones and coil retainers?
My list of extra bits will be drop boxes or offset bushes, extend brake lines. Anything else?
Ive been looking at pro comp es9000 I think they're called? Any good?
Thanks and sorry if ive overlooked any info prevoiusly stated on older threads.
Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

MEGOMONSTER
7th January 2014, 11:32 PM
I would assume if you go big shocks, you would need them.

A few guys here had flexi coils with big shocks and have since removed them to standard lifted spring and shock and the ride so much better.

What does Suspension Stuff says, if they are their Flexi Coils, do they suggest them.

I'm sure someone more reputable will be along to answer you.

I'm just going off hear say.

BigRAWesty
8th January 2014, 12:35 AM
As Mego mentioned a prominent member here followed some rather poor advice and went down the path your talking.
There is no point fitting such long shocks to a all but factory setup.
Flexi springs are copping a bad wrap atm due to early sag rates. Could be why they were cheap.

Imo grab some quality shocks,
But I'd go Max 4" shocks with 3"springs or you loose way to much up Stroke and defeat the purpose of flexi coils..

With 4" shocks you won't need drop out cones, but will need to extend the bump stops to save the shocks..
And will still have awesome articulation.

CorbinsGUte
8th January 2014, 12:35 PM
So maybe for now I just go 4 " shocks? Thats a bummer about them being known to sag a bit, I couldnt say no for $250 for 6 month old springs. I originally only wanted 2" lift. Its only a bit of a budget daily driver rig so dont wanna waste thousands, especially with our little twin girls arriving in a couple weeks!

BigRAWesty
8th January 2014, 04:21 PM
So maybe for now I just go 4 " shocks? Thats a bummer about them being known to sag a bit, I couldnt say no for $250 for 6 month old springs. I originally only wanted 2" lift. Its only a bit of a budget daily driver rig so dont wanna waste thousands, especially with our little twin girls arriving in a couple weeks!

Congrats on the twins. If these are your first be prepared for a world flipper.. Lol

As for suspension I see why you bought them. As for shocks, do you have a budget.
Imo buy the best you can afford. Just try stay away from budget stuff like blu pack and eBay cheapo stuff.
I have read good reviews On tough dog.

CorbinsGUte
8th January 2014, 06:09 PM
Yeah im not gonna touch the no name stuff. I was looking at them pro comp shocks in suspension stuff website but theres always the good and bad reviews . Dobinsons are also cheap and seem good. My old man has dobinsons in his gu.

And yes these are our first, double whammy straight up!

BigRAWesty
8th January 2014, 07:47 PM
Yeah im not gonna touch the no name stuff. I was looking at them pro comp shocks in suspension stuff website but theres always the good and bad reviews . Dobinsons are also cheap and seem good. My old man has dobinsons in his gu.

And yes these are our first, double whammy straight up!

Armardas (think that's how ya spell it) are getting 5 Star reviews. But hold a 5 star price tag to..

megatexture
8th January 2014, 08:16 PM
Armada xtreme at 300$ a corner I'm going to try them next also

CorbinsGUte
8th January 2014, 10:44 PM
Yeah not too bad a price but I cant justify it considering I bought the old girl off dad for the price id pay for shockies.

BigRAWesty
9th January 2014, 01:51 AM
Yeah not too bad a price but I cant justify it considering I bought the old girl off dad for the price id pay for shockies.

As mentioned before, kings maybe your pick then. Pretty sure they retail for sub $500 for the set.

BigRAWesty
10th January 2014, 06:27 AM
Have you looked at the other items for the lift?
I think the biggest is extended brake lines and castor correction.
Imo drop boxes are the way to go.

CorbinsGUte
10th January 2014, 07:14 AM
Yeah mate ill be doing tje brake lines and castor correction of some sort
Are drop boxes hard to install?

BigRAWesty
10th January 2014, 08:24 AM
Yeah mate ill be doing tje brake lines and castor correction of some sort
Are drop boxes hard to install?

All nuts and bolts.
You'll need some decent supports of some sorts to hold the car while you move the diff out to install drop boxes..
And a couple of minions I mean mates always help to get you beer I mean diff out..
I used stands but a 2 post hoist would be tops..
You'll also need to do diff breathers, and lokka lines if fitted..

CorbinsGUte
10th January 2014, 01:41 PM
Lol sounds doable, thanks for the info