PDA

View Full Version : VIC High Country Trip '13 - '14

happygu
7th January 2014, 08:55 PM
Hi All,

Just thought I would post my trip details for our Christmas High Country Trip for those that need some ideas of where they should head out in the High Country.

This trip takes in two of the iconic Vic High Country experiences....

Starting point for this trip was Mansfield...... Ending point was Jamieson ( but could easily be Licola for heading South or Mansfield for heading North )

Camps were at Bluff Hut, Wonnangatta Valley, Horseyard Flat, Licola - Wellington River, but there are many numerous great camps along the way including Crooked River.....

All camps had water except for Bluff Hut, where we were a few hundred metres down the track away from the hut.

TRIP DETAILS : Leisurely 6 Days 5 Nights

DAY 1 : We headed out from Mansfield towards Mt Buller, and turned south on the Howqua Track just East of Merrijig, through Sheepyard Flat ( Large Camping area ).

We headed east on Brocks Rd winding our way up the mountain till we reached Bluff Link Rd, and then Bluff Track which takes you past Bluff Hut. Camped near the Hut
38869 but not in this picture

DAY 2 & 3 : The next morning we walked up to the top of the Bluff itself ( even though our camp had great views looking directly over Mt Buller ). When we were back in the cars we continued on Bluff Track past Lovicks Hut, till we reached King Billy Track and turned onto it. We then followed King Billy Track through to the Howitt Rd, and then through to Zeka Spur Track which we turned onto.

Even though Zeka Spur Track has lost some of the character it once had, it was a great drive down into the Wonnangatta Valley onto the Wonnangatta Track. Camped for a couple of days near the junction of the Wonnangatta River and Conglomerate Creek. There are numerous campsites in Wonnangatta so you can take your pick ....

DAY 4 : Continued East on the Wonnangatta Track till we reached Herne Spur Track, which is a nice climb out of the Valley. When we reached the end of Herne Spur we turned South into Wombat Range Track ( great views ) and followed this through to Cynthia Range Track ( still great views ), which takes you straight down into the Crooked River Valley. We followed the Crooked River Rd through to Kingswell Bridge ( where we took the river crossing and others took the bridge option ), to allow us to backtrack on the Wonnangatta Road on the other side back to Billy Goats Bluff Track.

We headed up Billy Goats Bluff Track
( views and great drive - had to pick lines through the rock steps ), where the track is again starting to gain some 'character', with rocks and more rocks being the order of the day. Great drive ..... kids wanted to go down and do it again .... much better than last time when I blasted up on the bike with only two small rocky bits. We then followed the signs towards the Pinnacles on the Pinnacles Rd ( Great Lookout from the Fire Tower at the end of the range ),
and then backtracked down the Pinnacles Rd to the Moroka Rd and our camp at Horseyard Flat Camping Reserve
There is a great walk into First Falls and the Moroka Gorge - but I couldn't get my party interested in the walk....

DAY 5 : From there we followed the Moroka Road till we reached the old Moroka Range Track and followed this through to the turn off down to the Hut
and then back up to the Moroka Range Track where we continued on till we turned up to the summit of Mt Wellington on the Mt Wellington Track. We made it up to the summit and then turned back rather than continuing on to The Sentinels Lookout over Lake Tarli Karn, as the day was getting away from us, ( we have done this track before and camped further on near Millers Hut - for a true top of the range experience ..... oooh - I still remember it clearly - cold and misty ). After backtracking back to the junction we continued on the Mt Wellington Track we continued on the Moroka Rd and then down towards Licola and the Wellington River, where we camped for the night.

DAY 6 : The next day, we continued on to Licola
and made our obligatory stop there for some nibbles and a chat with the owners, and then went out North on the Licola - Jamieson Rd over Mt Skene, and continued on to Jamieson.

MAPS THAT CAN BE USED :
Rooftop Maps Dargo-Wonnangatta Adventure Map
Rooftop Maps Mansfield - Mt Howitt Adventure Map
Rooftop Maps Jamieson - Licola Adventure Map or Woods Point - Mt.Skene Forest Activities Map

GPS Maps in the Truck, as I don't actually have the Mansfield-Mt Howitt Map

I hope that gives some of you some ideas.....

Mic

MudRunnerTD
7th January 2014, 09:06 PM
That's awesome! Thanks Mic

AB
7th January 2014, 09:46 PM
Great write up and pics mate, looks like you had some nice days too!

jack
7th January 2014, 10:14 PM
Looks fantastic, will have to get up there soon.

happygu
7th January 2014, 10:28 PM
Forgot to add, this trip is not suitable for novice 4wdrivers with no experience - on their own.

If you are inexperienced, you should complete this trip with another experienced driver.

It isn't a car breaking trip, but there are steep climbs and descents which could prove really tricky in the wrong conditions and with no experience.

Mic

MEGOMONSTER
7th January 2014, 11:57 PM
Thanks for a great trip report, must of been a great week by the sounds of it.

MEGOMONSTER
8th January 2014, 12:00 AM
Forgot to add, this trip is not suitable for novice 4wdrivers with no experience - on their own.

If you are inexperienced, you should complete this trip with another experienced driver.

It isn't a car breaking trip, but there are steep climbs and descents which could prove really tricky in the wrong conditions and with no experience.

Mic

This sounds like my kind of trip.
Thoroughly enjoyed myself on the Knockwood trip and can't wait to do it again.

By the looks of it will miss the Brindies trip, but really want to do a 3-4 day trip like this in the high country.
I'd like to do it with my wife but I got Buckley's chance of that happening.

happygu
8th January 2014, 12:20 AM
Mego,

Really was a great trip - my wife said it was one of the best we have done, and then I started going through all the trips.

Just to really get you interested.....There was some nice trout in the Moroka River at Horseyard Flat too ..... was watching them with the kids in the torchlight.

Mic

MEGOMONSTER
8th January 2014, 12:51 AM
Mego,

Really was a great trip - my wife said it was one of the best we have done, and then I started going through all the trips.

Just to really get you interested.....There was some nice trout in the Moroka River at Horseyard Flats too ..... was watching them with the kids in the torchlight.

Mic

My Missus hates going on hilly roads like the Dandes or going up past Healesville.

She was a nightmare when we crossed the Great dividing range and Mt Kosziosko. 5-1/2 hrs of climbing and descending for 250kms.
She never wants to do that again.

GU CAMPER
8th January 2014, 06:14 AM
Great write up Mic

I will have to check out these areas when I get back to Vic. Sounds like a nice drive

Bloodyaussie
8th January 2014, 08:34 AM
My Missus hates going on hilly roads like the Dandes or going up past Healesville.

She was a nightmare when we crossed the Great dividing range and Mt Kosziosko. 5-1/2 hrs of climbing and descending for 250kms.
She never wants to do that again.

Your in the building industry , offer her a spoon full of concrete!!!!!!!! bwa ha ha ha ha!!!

Great pics and drive guide mate..... jealous as I was in the region but we only did one days driving and that was more like touring.

We stayed at the Merrijig motor inn for New Years (3 nights)

So Billy Goats starting to look good again?

MEGOMONSTER
8th January 2014, 12:02 PM
Your in the building industry , offer her a spoon full of concrete!!!!!!!! bwa ha ha ha ha!!!

A spoon, no mate, I'll bring her a bag. Lol

happygu
8th January 2014, 06:15 PM

Great pics and drive guide mate..... jealous as I was in the region but we only did one days driving and that was more like touring.

We stayed at the Merrijig motor inn for New Years (3 nights)

So Billy Goats starting to look good again?

Yeah BA,

Not quite there yet, but it is starting to get back to the Billy Goat Bluff of old, with quite a lot of exposed rock steps on the upper and lower sections, with a nice soft powdery patch in the middle where I had to put my foot down a little.

All of us enjoyed it immensely.....

Mic

Drewboyaus
8th January 2014, 08:30 PM
Awesome write up Mic. Sounds like a top trip. That should give a few blokes some ideas.
In your travels around there, do you know if they have closed South Bassalt Knob? I had heard they have bulldozed it closed while they "fix it up"......

happygu
8th January 2014, 10:52 PM
Awesome write up Mic. Sounds like a top trip. That should give a few blokes some ideas.
In your travels around there, do you know if they have closed South Bassalt Knob? I had heard they have bulldozed it closed while they "fix it up"......

We didn't check it out Drew ... we were going to go that way, as I had originally planned to go through to Blue Rag, but we changed things around to suit our travelling party, so I am not sure of the status.

Mic

emm
8th January 2014, 11:04 PM
Hi Mic, we're heading out in convoy with 5 vehicles to Mansfield in a couple of weeks and would really appreciate your recommendations of what we could do for a day's 4wding while there, all experienced except one, would definitely consider them a novice.
TIA,
Em

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Drewboyaus
8th January 2014, 11:55 PM
Hi Mic, we're heading out in convoy with 5 vehicles to Mansfield in a couple of weeks and would really appreciate your recommendations of what we could do for a day's 4wding while there, all experienced except one, would definitely consider them a novice.
TIA,
Em

Hey Em,
How are the vehicles set up? Winches? Recovery gear? Rated recovery points on vehicles?
Would be able to drive all those tracks with a stock vehicle in the dry pretty much but a bit of rain up there and you'll need recovery gear. No better way for a novice to learn than to get out and have a crack with the right guidance!
I can have a squiz at my map of the Mansfield area but if you're not looking for anything too hard, the drive up to the huts is nice, could do 3 Chains Tk (there's a real fun steep, rocky bit in that but can go around).
How many nights? Base camping?

mudski
9th January 2014, 12:21 AM
The back side of 3 chain Drew isn't for the faint hearted. The first section to the ridge looking at mt.buller is steep but fun and not too hard. A fair way along thwre is some quite steep and rocky down hill sections and I woukd only do these in the dry. I the wet, it would be a good way to shite your pants. Going back up in the wet is definitely a locker job and lots of winching. I want to go back soon and take Jonathan along this track.

mudski
9th January 2014, 01:22 AM
A good track for the novice to get a grip out that way actually down past sheepyards. Cant remember what track is called but as you go over the bridge into sheepyards, hang a right and follow the track up and over the hill. Steep with a hair pin so you cant miss it. Follow this along until you come to a fork in the road. Right takes you down to Fry's hut. Go left and up the hill. This takes you into Tobacco Flat and continue along. The track gets narrow and there is some fun and steep'ish hill climbs. Good for a novice, unless its wet. It gets real slippery. Head up and along until you reach a another road. Turn left and follow this until you reach the slate mine. Good views and fun if you have a locker or mates on trail bikes there. You can keep going along to Mitchells flat. Good steep down hills toward there, same again if its wet be careful. From Mitchells you can go to Wren flat which is the start on the Jamieson river etc etc...

Drewboyaus
9th January 2014, 08:08 AM
The back side of 3 chain Drew isn't for the faint hearted. The first section to the ridge looking at mt.buller is steep but fun and not too hard. A fair way along thwre is some quite steep and rocky down hill sections and I woukd only do these in the dry. I the wet, it would be a good way to shite your pants. Going back up in the wet is definitely a locker job and lots of winching. I want to go back soon and take Jonathan along this track.

You can go around that steep gnarly climb if you want. Coming down the other side I had the back wanting to overtake the front......was fun though.

mudski
9th January 2014, 12:15 PM
You can go around that steep gnarly climb if you want. Coming down the other side I had the back wanting to overtake the front......was fun though.
I know what section your thinking of. Thats not far ( about 10 minutes)from the Howqua Tk turn off at Timber top.That real steep bit has been closed off. You have no choice but to go around. That was hairy... I'm talking heading away from the Howqua Tk, a good 30 minutes in, theres no other ways to go around.

happygu
9th January 2014, 06:42 PM
TIA,
Em

Hi Emm,

There is heaps of good 4 Wheel Driving around Mansfield, and with experienced drivers, you will be absolutely fine.

All the tracks that I mentioned up to Zeka Spur to Wonnangatta I could drive a Commodore over, so there will be no issues for you guys on any of those tracks ...... :devilred:

***** I added the extra post about being experienced as you soon forget what it was like when you first get into the tracks and that one little slip can be fatal or at the very least expensive ....

I can remember my wife begging me not to go up some tracks on some of our trips .... now she drives them all or sits there asking where we can go next.

One of the trips that I was planning this Christmas was a re-enactment of my first real high country trip through the Ingeegoodabie Track near the Snowy River 20 odd years ago where I ( we ) wasn't sure if we were going to make it up the hill as it was 'so steep'. I wanted to see how my perception has changed and it was a great trip too ******

Just keep talking over the radios, to make sure that the inexperienced ones are being coached into the right techniques ( and hand out a 'How to Four Wheel Drive' booklet to the inexperienced ones before you go ).

One of the things we have done is to hop in with the inexperienced ones at the tricky spots to make sure that they are doing the right things, as once they get a little confidence in what their vehicles can do, there will be no stopping them ..... but also remember that all of us have got ourselves into trouble at some stage, and usually after thinking right....now I know it all....

There has been some great suggestions by Drew and Mudski already as well
Mic

macca
9th January 2014, 07:10 PM
Great thread, I will be referring to this for a planned trip for sure.

Drewboyaus
9th January 2014, 07:54 PM
I know what section your thinking of. Thats not far ( about 10 minutes)from the Howqua Tk turn off at Timber top.That real steep bit has been closed off. You have no choice but to go around. That was hairy... I'm talking heading away from the Howqua Tk, a good 30 minutes in, theres no other ways to go around.

The bit I'm thinking of is 15 minutes or so before you get to the Running creek camp ground.
If it's wet, McEvoys is VERY slippery downhill past the slate mine. A reasonably solid base but no ruts makes it fun.....

PMC
9th January 2014, 08:17 PM
Hi All,

Just thought I would post my trip details for our Christmas High Country Trip for those that need some ideas of where they should head out in the High Country.

This trip takes in two of the iconic Vic High Country experiences....

Starting point for this trip was Mansfield...... Ending point was Jamieson ( but could easily be Licola for heading South or Mansfield for heading North )

Camps were at Bluff Hut, Wonnangatta Valley, Horseyard Flat, Licola - Wellington River, but there are many numerous great camps along the way including Crooked River.....

All camps had water except for Bluff Hut, where we were a few hundred metres down the track away from the hut.

TRIP DETAILS : Leisurely 6 Days 5 Nights

DAY 1 : We headed out from Mansfield towards Mt Buller, and turned south on the Howqua Track just East of Merrijig, through Sheepyard Flat ( Large Camping area ).

We headed east on Brocks Rd winding our way up the mountain till we reached Bluff Link Rd, and then Bluff Track which takes you past Bluff Hut. Camped near the Hut
38869 but not in this picture

DAY 2 & 3 : The next morning we walked up to the top of the Bluff itself ( even though our camp had great views looking directly over Mt Buller ). When we were back in the cars we continued on Bluff Track past Lovicks Hut, till we reached King Billy Track and turned onto it. We then followed King Billy Track through to the Howitt Rd, and then through to Zeka Spur Track which we turned onto.

Even though Zeka Spur Track has lost some of the character it once had, it was a great drive down into the Wonnangatta Valley onto the Wonnangatta Track. Camped for a couple of days near the junction of the Wonnangatta River and Conglomerate Creek. There are numerous campsites in Wonnangatta so you can take your pick ....

DAY 4 : Continued East on the Wonnangatta Track till we reached Herne Spur Track, which is a nice climb out of the Valley. When we reached the end of Herne Spur we turned South into Wombat Range Track ( great views ) and followed this through to Cynthia Range Track ( still great views ), which takes you straight down into the Crooked River Valley. We followed the Crooked River Rd through to Kingswell Bridge ( where we took the river crossing and others took the bridge option ), to allow us to backtrack on the Wonnangatta Road on the other side back to Billy Goats Bluff Track.

We headed up Billy Goats Bluff Track
( views and great drive - had to pick lines through the rock steps ), where the track is again starting to gain some 'character', with rocks and more rocks being the order of the day. Great drive ..... kids wanted to go down and do it again .... much better than last time when I blasted up on the bike with only two small rocky bits. We then followed the signs towards the Pinnacles on the Pinnacles Rd ( Great Lookout from the Fire Tower at the end of the range ),
and then backtracked down the Pinnacles Rd to the Moroka Rd and our camp at Horseyard Flat Camping Reserve
There is a great walk into First Falls and the Moroka Gorge - but I couldn't get my party interested in the walk....

DAY 5 : From there we followed the Moroka Road till we reached the old Moroka Range Track and followed this through to the turn off down to the Hut
and then back up to the Moroka Range Track where we continued on till we turned up to the summit of Mt Wellington on the Mt Wellington Track. We made it up to the summit and then turned back rather than continuing on to The Sentinels Lookout over Lake Tarli Karn, as the day was getting away from us, ( we have done this track before and camped further on near Millers Hut - for a true top of the range experience ..... oooh - I still remember it clearly - cold and misty ). After backtracking back to the junction we continued on the Mt Wellington Track we continued on the Moroka Rd and then down towards Licola and the Wellington River, where we camped for the night.

DAY 6 : The next day, we continued on to Licola
and made our obligatory stop there for some nibbles and a chat with the owners, and then went out North on the Licola - Jamieson Rd over Mt Skene, and continued on to Jamieson.

MAPS THAT CAN BE USED :
Rooftop Maps Dargo-Wonnangatta Adventure Map
Rooftop Maps Mansfield - Mt Howitt Adventure Map
Rooftop Maps Jamieson - Licola Adventure Map or Woods Point - Mt.Skene Forest Activities Map

GPS Maps in the Truck, as I don't actually have the Mansfield-Mt Howitt Map

I hope that gives some of you some ideas.....

Mic

G'day folks,

You lucky buggers!

I hope you all have a safe and fantastic trip, i wish i could be there!

PS, keep BloodyAussie away from the farken bog holes. lol

Regards,

RLI

happygu
9th January 2014, 08:46 PM
TIA,
Em

Emm,

Now back to the Great Trips I was about to mention ....

Some of the highlights to the NorthEast of Mansfield are the King River, with its many crossings .. really fun.
Craigs Hut, to see some fake nostalgia, but it is a great place too.
The Staircase up to Lake Cobbler, although apparently it has been bulldozed now so you can drive your Commodore over it .... boo hoo ...
Dandongadale Falls, north of Lake Cobbler - the highest vertical drop of water in Vic.

You can make this into a fantastic day trip, where you head from Mansfield towards Mt Buller, and turn up towards Mt Stirling on the Mount Stirling Rd just before the Mt Buller entry station, and then take this up to the circuit road - follow this around to your left until you reach the junction of King Basin Rd, where you can head down or even the next one Black Landing Track to get through the Pineapple Flat, where you can then follow the track along the King River ..... beautiful .... and you will come out at King Hut, and continue on a little till you reach the junction of Little Cobbler and Speculation Rd. Turn left and follow the Little Cobbler Track which is easy, or shortly after, veer off to The Staircase - which apparently is now just as easy up to Lake Cobbler, and then follow this around to Dandongadale Falls for a short walk into the top of the falls.

If you are running out of time, or aren't up for as much adventure, then return back down towards Speculation Rd, and then take it back up to the Circuit Rd, and head for Craigs Hut.

If you are up for a bit of adventure you can continue north till you reach Wild Horse Track, and follow this around to Burnt Top and back to Pineapple Flat, where you continue back up from where you came down earlier to the Circuit Road, and continue on till you reach the turn off to Craigs Hut, and head up there for a looksee.... You can either backtrack or continue on down Monument Track or Clear Hills Track, and then back to Mansfield.

That is one little trip I think you would like, but I haven't travelled these tracks for a while and don't know the recent conditions....

Here is a little teaser map ... http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/101546/FS0025-Circuit-Road-Mt.Stirling.pdf

What is great, or used to be great on this little trip, is that those who want adventure can try the harder sections, and those that aren't as keen can go around the circuit road and meet you at the other end, or bypass The Staircase, etc, etc ....
Mic

Drewboyaus
9th January 2014, 09:25 PM
Now back to the Great Trips I was about to mention ....

Yes. Sorry mate for the hijack!

happygu
9th January 2014, 09:31 PM
Yes. Sorry mate for the hijack!

Your Hijacks are welcome ... now Emm needs to come back before the post is lost in history....

emm
9th January 2014, 11:13 PM
Man you guys are awesome!
So helpful.
We have a stock 2010 GU (auto), hand winch.
Also travelling are a Jeep Wrangler, Challenger and the one I am worried about is a Santa Fe which doesn't have low range 4wd. I know that Pat Callinan took one to the 'Cape though, apparently.
Suggestions are fantastic, allows the Santa Fe to scoot around if they need to.
Top forum.
Cheers,
Em

emm
9th January 2014, 11:14 PM
We also have recovery gear (snatch strap, shovel and some of those maxtrax copies from aldi which I won't put much hope in).

Drewboyaus
9th January 2014, 11:27 PM
We also have recovery gear (snatch strap, shovel and some of those maxtrax copies from aldi which I won't put much hope in).

Please also remember NO SNATCHING FROM A TOWBALL. Not under any circumstances. Someone WILL get hurt. All the other vehicles will be fine, take it easy with the Santa Fe though......It will do most things but no low range will make steep, slow work very challenging.

happygu
9th January 2014, 11:49 PM
Emm,

I wouldnt recommend Wild Horse Track for the Santa Fe, as there is a couple of steepish sections, and you want them to enjoy it but not break it....depends on how many, but they could drive up to the circuit rd - Leave it in a pull off area on the side of the road and jump into the other vehicles - do the loop and then come back to get it

Mic

emm
12th January 2014, 03:03 PM
Please also remember NO SNATCHING FROM A TOWBALL.

We take our tow ball off and go through the towbar with the shackle, I'm assuming this is correct?
Do you mean that people actually put the snatch strap over the towball???
Mate if this is the case there needs to be offered a government subsidised one day safety course for four wheel driving... or even an online course.
I already believe there should be some sort of towing course; we have seen far too many caravan drivers loaded or driving in an unsafe way - we have a caravan and they can cause real problems if people do it wrong.

emm
12th January 2014, 03:04 PM
Mate if this is the case there needs to be offered a government subsidised one day safety course for four wheel driving... or even an online course.

Although people only have to read a magazine or a book to figure it out!

Drewboyaus
12th January 2014, 05:04 PM
We take our tow ball off and go through the towbar with the shackle, I'm assuming this is correct?
Do you mean that people actually put the snatch strap over the towball???

Yes, that is the correct method.

And unfortunately yes.....there is a whole thread on here dedicated to towball recoveries. You would be surprised how many people do it without even thinking.

happygu
12th January 2014, 06:09 PM
Emm,

I quickly found a couple of pictures of the net which explain why we suggest not to use the towball for recoveries. Many people have used the towball safely, and there are a few different ways to minimize the risk of the ball breaking, but I can't recommend it and when they do break stand well clear ......
The results are not pretty, and people have been killed and injured using these techniques.

The safer way is this ....

You can buy something like this for the first safe pic

or use the second pic as your guide, where you place your strap through the receiver hitch pin, like I do.....

The idea is to minimize the amount of metal that can break and fling back or forward as a missile .... so no joining two straps in the middle with a shackle, and don't use the towball that can shear off .....

Mic