PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler

philmar
26th January 2011, 09:21 PM
I read recently, on a forum, about cleaning out the intercooler for a smoother air flow and enhanced acceleration. Has anyone done this, and was it helpful, or necessary at all.
If it works, any chance of a rundown in the operation?
I believe it can also assist in reducing turbo lag, but I am not certain of this.
From past experience with radiators, disturbing the residue from the crevices can also cause leaks where none were apparent before, would this be the case with intercoolers?

Thank you.

YNOT
26th January 2011, 10:11 PM
A coating of oil on the inside of the intercooler acts as an insulator so cleaning the I/C will make it more efficient, just don't be expecting an extra 20 horsepower, the increase is only small. Cleaning your I/C wont cause a leak but it might show a leak on an I/C that needed replacing anyway.

Tony

Almost Dun
27th January 2011, 02:51 AM
I washed mine out a few times with petrol when i blocked the egr , just put a litre or so in and block both ends with your hands and shake it around , the petrol will come out pretty black if its never been cleaned , rinse it out with water after your done and let it dry out in the sun for a few hours after shaking most of the water out .

Cheers , Dylan

philmar
1st February 2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys, I cleaned mine out and it feels a little smoother. The interesting thing though was the turbo hose to the cooler. The clamps were tight but were faulty and the hose was still loose around the intercooler fitting, so very glad I decided to have a close look. Couple of new clamps and back in business.

Milik607
12th February 2011, 08:52 PM
Guys what you clean the intercooler?? I cleaned it in benzine and total to do it, car drives much better, consumption declined.

YNOT
12th February 2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks Milik.
I cleaned my intercooler with petrol but degreaser, kerosene will do the same job. Obviously benzine works as well.

Tony

Milik607
12th February 2011, 09:02 PM
Thank you for your reply. And does anyone know if you can give a bigger radiator to increase performance, or where and how much they cost. Thank

YNOT
12th February 2011, 09:08 PM
Check post #3 second and third photos in this thread; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1570-Thermo-fan-on-top-of-my-intercooler&highlight=intercooler
showing bigger intercooler (I assume you mean intercooler where you said radiator?). The bigger intercooler is an Australian made "cross country" intercooler. This is to suit a ZD30 engine.

Tony

Edit, Mr Milik, I've just had a look through your posts on the forum and you don't seem to have posted an introduction. Why not take a few minutes to start an introduction thread and tell us a bit about yourself and your Patrol. I'm only guessing from your other posts that you have a Y61 (GU) 3l.