PDA

View Full Version : points to electronic ignition

phil1978
26th January 2011, 03:14 PM
hi just wanted to no if anyhas done akit version or changed the dizzy an coil?
thinking of doing it on mine
as mine has stopped running trying to make her more reliable
thanks

patch697
26th January 2011, 03:37 PM
Have a look at this thread Phil, its got some info that will interest you.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?299-Information-on-TB42s-extended-rotor-button

This mob also do a C/O HEI kit or part kits depending on how much you can do yourself.

The other kit is a Pertornics electronic ignition kit but understand this is not a HEI kit.

Piranha also do a electronic points replacement kit as well.

Also take note of the extended rotor featured in the above link as its a must have when running LPG on the pre injected models.

phil1978
26th January 2011, 04:05 PM
hi patch
thanks for that will get on to them tomorrow and fingers crossed it should help
thanks phil

phil1978
28th January 2011, 11:49 PM
got 1 come today but missed the post so will have to wait till monday bloody monday,

GUte
30th January 2011, 03:41 PM
Did you order a new rotor button or a new electronic ignition? Mate in his gq wants to do his soon cheers

red92gq
2nd February 2011, 12:13 AM
go pertronix and the extended rotor,gt40r coil or a flame thrower coil an make sure that your getting enough voltage to the coil.
The igition switch can rob voltage once they get a bit of wear in them so fit a relay to give full power back to coil

phil1978
2nd February 2011, 11:49 PM
hi guys,
i orderd a new rotar button and elctronic ignition kit ,took about 45 mins to install and she runs like a dream.
Best thing to do get rid of the points and easy to install instructions are good aswell fingers crossed she will be more reliable not that she wasnt before. i read on here to check the timing and set at 12 degress so just going to do that tonight.
thanks for ya help patch

patch697
3rd February 2011, 12:35 AM
hi guys,
i orderd a new rotar button and elctronic ignition kit ,took about 45 mins to install and she runs like a dream.
Best thing to do get rid of the points and easy to install instructions are good aswell fingers crossed she will be more reliable not that she wasnt before. i read on here to check the timing and set at 12 degress so just going to do that tonight.
thanks for ya help patch

Your welcome mate, Im glad you got it all sorted. There a good bunch I sent you to & thay have been playing with these things for years so thay know what there on about.

GUte
3rd February 2011, 02:11 AM
I gave their details to my mate and he will be buying one of their exchange electronic kits soon, cheers

Silver
19th February 2011, 03:42 AM
fitted a pertronix kit to my tb42. Just petrol, no gas, so haven't yet got the extended rotor or different coil. Nice not replacing points every 5000k

HILLBILLY BOY
7th March 2011, 09:00 PM
I have the pertronix kit fitted to mine with the extended rotor button and GT40R coil, so far it has not let me down. I changed the coil from an oil filled one to the epoxy one as the oil filled one used to break down on hot days and caused the car to miss and carry on, changed to an epoxy one and never looked back.

maverick1
19th May 2011, 11:24 PM
Hi Guys, can anyone fill me in on the pertronix kit? I have a mav 88 4.2 and really need to do some work to it. It misses and carries on and I really need it run alot better than it does. I have read about the rotor button and Im thinking of this, but also about changing it to electronic ignition. Could you also fill me in if the kits come with instructions? Is it hard to do?

Silver
19th May 2011, 11:42 PM
Hi Guys, can anyone fill me in on the pertronix kit? I have a mav 88 4.2 and really need to do some work to it. It misses and carries on and I really need it run alot better than it does. I have read about the rotor button and Im thinking of this, but also about changing it to electronic ignition. Could you also fill me in if the kits come with instructions? Is it hard to do?

I used the Pertronix kit that they don't want to sell currently. It was easy to install and is going well. It is the lobe sensing one. didn't change the coil - a bosch GT40

The other one requires more dissie work, but is apparently better. I got mine through a crowd in Melbourne which you'll read about here if you search.

maverick1
26th May 2011, 11:05 PM
Hey everyone,
So I should be receiving my kit tomorrow. I am looking forward to seeing if it runs better. I was told I had to have the 3.0 ohm coil. I got the lobe sensing one with a black (I think) coil that runs at 3.0 ohm. Heres hoping! Just wondering though, does anyone have the rotor button (extended version) and the kit and new coil? I was told by this person that I shouldn't need the rotor button after I put the coil and pertronix kit in... what do you guys think?

yort
1st August 2011, 04:27 PM
I've herd reports about the Pertronix kit failing, I've gone with the crane fireball XR3000 with a bosch high energy coil(full EFI coil 45000V) huge spark (haven't been bitten by it yet :) ) runs sweet right through the rev range till 5000rpm

BoroNSW
4th August 2011, 11:39 PM
I have the pertonix 2 and flamethrower coil. Hasnt missed a beat, goes great. Not a real easy DIY but managable. have standard popints and coil stored on board for an emergancy when away from home. But 36000 k's down the road and the old dogs running sweet.:smiley_thumbs_up: