PDA

View Full Version : What is a 5 link front end?

brwndoggy
3rd January 2014, 01:11 PM
Hey patrol peeps,

Got another question, seeing quite a few fourbys with custom 5 link front ends, can someone explain what they are, what they do and whether they are good or not.

Cheers
Gavin

BigRAWesty
3rd January 2014, 01:42 PM
If your after extreme flex Its a setup which has 5 points of connection.
Most run lower arms straight from chassis to bottom diff, and the a v in the middle which goes from chassis to top of diff in the Centre.

brwndoggy
3rd January 2014, 02:05 PM
ah ok, i figured it would be something extreme. Not for me then i dont think lol

nissannewby
3rd January 2014, 02:19 PM
Basically what you have in the rear of a patrol.

Ben-e-boy
3rd January 2014, 05:00 PM
If your after extreme flex Its a setup which has 5 points of connection.
Most run lower arms straight from chassis to bottom diff, and the a v in the middle which goes from chassis to top of diff in the Centre.

Thats a 4 link. If you need a panhard after triangulating the upper arms, it was done wrong and a waste of time and effort.
You triangulate the uppers to get rid of the panhard as the the triangulation provides the lateral support

Winnie
3rd January 2014, 05:34 PM
Thats a 4 link. If you need a panhard after triangulating the upper arms, it was done wrong and a waste of time and effort.
You triangulate the uppers to get rid of the panhard as the the triangulation provides the lateral support

How long til the farm ute has a 4 link setup then?????

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

BigRAWesty
3rd January 2014, 05:46 PM

Sorry. Yea mix of words.
I've explained a 5 point setup.
5 link is yea pretty much a stock setup..

Ben-e-boy
3rd January 2014, 06:13 PM

Funny you metion that, I have been playing with a 4 link calculator for the last few weeks as I saw a bloke on face ache with a double triangulated 4 link and engineered, I found his build thread on a forum called "my patrol 4x4", if he didnt get a dodgy engineering cirtificate, and it can be done to the law I will have one by the end of the year. Coil overed and all.

Winnie
3rd January 2014, 06:15 PM
Funny you metion that, I have been playing with a 4 link calculator for the last few weeks as I saw a bloke on face ache with a double triangulated 4 link and engineered, I found his build thread on a forum called "my patrol 4x4", if he didnt get a dodgy engineering cirtificate, and it can be done to the law I will have one by the end of the year. Coil overed and all.

Umm I was actually joking but yeah you go man!

BigRAWesty
3rd January 2014, 06:28 PM

Yea bloody tought Ute hay. And the coil over setup is insane hay..

BigRAWesty
3rd January 2014, 06:31 PM
Umm I was actually joking but yeah you go man!

Have a read Winnie..
http://www.mypatrol4x4.com/index.php?/topic/79-GQ-Extra-cab#entry440

Ben-e-boy
3rd January 2014, 06:37 PM
Yea bloody tought Ute hay. And the coil over setup is insane hay..

I would like to find out some of his calculations on the coilovers, some of his measurements on the calculator were abit off and would like to know what they actually are.

BigRAWesty
3rd January 2014, 07:04 PM
I would like to find out some of his calculations on the coilovers, some of his measurements on the calculator were abit off and would like to know what they actually are.

You need to decide on travel first so you can work out the min and Max diff positions and the amount of rotation.

Simplest would be have all chassis points in a straight line, so diff makes and arc around it..
Not sure why you couldn't actually??

Ben-e-boy
3rd January 2014, 09:42 PM
You need to decide on travel first so you can work out the min and Max diff positions and the amount of rotation.

Simplest would be have all chassis points in a straight line, so diff makes and arc around it..
Not sure why you couldn't actually??

I'm way past that, I want to know if he played around with installation ratios and what bump/droop% I could bombard him with questions

With his 4 link calc he had a CG of 25.94 inch, which is basically level with the bottom of the sump, my CG is at 38-40 inch, to the top bolts of the bellhousing, also had a 35 in tyre radius of 17, I put his figures into my calculator and changed the radius to 17.5 and added anothe half inch to his figures, they didn't change much, changing the CG though up t0o 40 inch, took his AS% from 65 down to 39. I am really keen on finding out how it handles. It will hill climb really well.

I also dont quite understand how the instant centre being where it is would affect it. I know its good to have it in front of the rig but its also very high, From what I have read it is good to have it below the CG, but thats on paper and real world is not on paper, and that fcuks with my head

megatexture
3rd January 2014, 10:39 PM
That would be a wicked setup! I have my doubts if its engineered though if not you would see it done a hell of a lot more than you do !

BigRAWesty
3rd January 2014, 10:56 PM
Yea it's a comp truck now so no engineers cert.

As Benny I haven't looked much into this side of thing's So I'm totally lost with your post lol

Ben-e-boy
3rd January 2014, 10:59 PM
That would be a wicked setup! I have my doubts if its engineered though if not you would see it done a hell of a lot more than you do !

You can do more now than than ever before, If I can get my long arms engineered and extended shock mounts why not coilovers and link suspension?

megatexture
3rd January 2014, 11:06 PM
You can do more now than than ever before, If I can get my long arms engineered and extended shock mounts why not coilovers and link suspension?

Not sure, it just looks too good to be true it would need some sort of sway bar also wouldn't it ? Lol

Ben-e-boy
3rd January 2014, 11:10 PM
Not sure, it just looks too good to be true it would need some sort of sway bar also wouldn't it ? Lol

You can get away with it, but like any link suspension it will compromise handling.
I have been looking t getting a PAC racing sway bar for mine.