PDA

View Full Version : refitting auto box to a gq wagon

pirate79
3rd January 2014, 12:45 AM
can anyone give advice on refitting an auto to a gq .? I bolted the torque converter to the flywheel but the couldn't get the bell housing past the transmission hump without fouling . then I unbolted the torque converter an slid it over the input shaft which made it easier to fit but couldn't get the shaft in the torque converter to line up in the flywheel ... there must be an easy way to do this ... any advice please

Parksy
3rd January 2014, 09:45 AM
I've heard of people using a hammer to reshape the transmission tunnel to help for fitment. When installing an auto, always install the torque converter on the input shaft of the gearbox and never install it on the flywheel first. Big no no that can lead to dead gearboxes within minutes of turning the key.
Make sure the torque converter is on the input shaft properly, helps to turn and push as it engages the different stages of teeth. When bolting the transmission to the engine, the last thing you do up are the flywheel to torque converter bolts. You should be able to still spin the torque converter, even when the gearbox is bolted to the engine. If you can't spin it, there may be an issue, ie the torque converter is misaligned. If this is the case. Pull it all off and start again.

pirate79
3rd January 2014, 10:21 AM
going back nout today to give it another shot thanks parksy otherwise another unfinished project on ebay lol

pirate79
3rd January 2014, 08:48 PM
:xxxx:day two ...transmission is back in car

pirate79
4th January 2014, 01:59 PM
next problem ... got everything back together all works but tbar wont lock in peak and you can slide stick it from 1st to reverse without pushing in the lock button and you can pop the 4wd stick out of 2h to 4h with buggerall resistance