PDA

View Full Version : need some advice on buying GQ

brwndoggy
2nd January 2014, 05:22 PM
Hey patrol peeps

Ive been out of 4wds for a few years now and looking to get back into it, been trolling all the classifieds, vehicles sites etc looking for good GQs.

I found this one which appears to me to be an ideal truck, Would love everyone's opinion on what it would be worth. Any help would be much appreciated.

This is the description of the truck:
GQ ST Patrol 7 seats, 285000k One Owner Air Condition
4.2 Turbo Diesel, 3" exhaust, Safari heavy duty clutch,
Modified injector pump,(great for towing, good economy)
ARB diff lockers, Snorkel, 40channel UHF, 150lt fuel tank,
Body & Suspension lift, Bull Bar, Hid spotlights, Duel Batteries, Small & large 7 pin plugs, with Anderson plug. Already for towing. 10 Stack cd stereo. Rego June 2014 RWC.

Has logbooks and proof of purchase in 1992

price advertised at $12.500

Cheers
Gavin

MudRunnerTD
2nd January 2014, 05:55 PM
Good value I reckon. Sweat ride

MudRunnerTD
2nd January 2014, 05:58 PM
Just had another look at the pics underneath. It has down a heap of beach work mate. All parts rusty. Steering damper is rusty and likely the original one. The springs are rusty too and unlikely to be a lifted spring or a very old one. My 10 year old Old Man Emu are still black powdercoat.

Have a real good look for rust. Knock everywhere for bog. Take a decent magnet even

brwndoggy
2nd January 2014, 06:20 PM
thx mudrunner, those rusty parts are they expensive replacement/repair items? My father in law is a panel beater so was gonna take him to look for rust. ironically the guy selling it is a panel beater aswell.

MudRunnerTD
2nd January 2014, 06:23 PM
Excellent! Let the 2 panel beaters sort out whether he has done any dodgy bogging.

Looking at the rust I would expect to put a new lift in it, new drag link, maybe a new tie rod and front panard. You could spend another $2k doing that. Then 3 cans of fish oil spray and lay under it and go Sick!

Bigcol
2nd January 2014, 06:46 PM
looks like a good buy
yes the suspension looks past its due date, but as MudRunner said - $2K will sort that, and you will have years of life out of it

cheers

brwndoggy
2nd January 2014, 07:10 PM
thx guys, i was always going to redo the suspension anyway. when i had my other patrols i had always planeed on getting the whole lot done with tough dog. Always like the idea of adjustable suspension. Are they still good?

MudRunnerTD
2nd January 2014, 07:52 PM
thx guys, i was always going to redo the suspension anyway. when i had my other patrols i had always planeed on getting the whole lot done with tough dog. Always like the idea of adjustable suspension. Are they still good?

I am not a fan.

If your after a 2" lift then I can't go past Old Man Emu mate.

brwndoggy
2nd January 2014, 08:23 PM
was thinking the most i would go would be 3" lift, and maybe 33" tyres, nothing too extreme.

Bigcol
2nd January 2014, 08:31 PM
no comment on Tough Dog - never used them
No Comment on Old Man Emu - didnt last 2 yrs when I had some - ditched them PDQ

I have used (long time ago) Ultimate Suspension - when they used to be over here in the west - now they only have their shop / manufacturing in NSW somewhere
never had a problem with them, they were Kick Ar$e, kept the 4wd on the road, good articulation....

meh - horses for courses

cheers

just a though

GQ TANK
2nd January 2014, 08:45 PM
Is there a MOD plate for the turbo

You might have to pull the body lift for the roady

brwndoggy
2nd January 2014, 08:53 PM
Is there a MOD plate for the turbo

You might have to pull the body lift for the roady

Not sure about the mod plate ill have to ask, i didnt think you needed a mod plate for a turbo if it was originally a turbo-ed engine?

It comes with reg and roady according to the seller so should be okay, ive always preferred a good suspension lift over any body lifts myself so might take it out anyways

Dales300exc
2nd January 2014, 08:58 PM
It looks pretty sweet. No gqs were factory turbo.

brwndoggy
2nd January 2014, 09:04 PM
It looks pretty sweet. No gqs were factory turbo.

That i did not know lol. just naturally assumed some were and some wernt. Learn something new everyday :)

GQ TANK
2nd January 2014, 09:50 PM
I have seen a post where vic coppers pink slipped a gq td42T due to not haveing a turbo mod plate

89gqpatrol4x4
2nd January 2014, 10:07 PM
Spoke to an engineer up here and he said it's about $50 and all they look for is things like does it have an exhaust/ muffler, that the wastegate is plumbed to the exhaust etc. Very basic and no big deal!

brwndoggy
2nd January 2014, 10:35 PM
Spoke to an engineer up here and he said it's about $50 and all they look for is things like does it have an exhaust/ muffler, that the wastegate is plumbed to the exhaust etc. Very basic and no big deal!

thx for that

Woof
2nd January 2014, 10:45 PM
Tough Dog adjustables, same as Darren not a fan either

gaddy
2nd January 2014, 10:48 PM
I do a lot if beach work , and thats a lot of rust under there , leave no pannel unchecked .

brwndoggy
2nd January 2014, 10:54 PM
I do a lot if beach work , and thats a lot of rust under there , leave no pannel unchecked .

Thats why im bringing the father in law

brwndoggy
3rd January 2014, 03:04 AM
Asked the guy about the under body pics and this was his response:

The photos under are to show there are no oil leaks on diff, I could have painted but this is genuine from1992. no problem to paint, no rust on body parts. Been to Frazer & Double Island (approx. once a year) and to Cape York. Springs bought in 1992 TJM. Under body & Total vehicle was rustproofed. Never had any rust in vehicle, rear quarter window frames have some rust, but are sealed and ok.

What you see is surface lacking paint, years of sand & dirt striping off the paint. It shows no oil leaks. Springs have been on since 1992 TJM. Been. On Fraser & Double Island, been to Cape York All original it has been rust proofed on the underbody. Can take more under body pics & send direct to your email. Garantee never had any rust.

89gqpatrol4x4
3rd January 2014, 10:18 AM
Mine is an 89 and the bloke I bought it off had it for 16 years and used to do regular family beach trips. It looks nothing like that and to my knowledge has not been painted, just good rustproofing from day one. Not to say don't buy it but just as others say look very closely and be careful, buy with your head there are plenty others out there!!!!

red patrol
3rd January 2014, 11:52 AM
looks good mate

brwndoggy
3rd January 2014, 11:52 AM
Mine is an 89 and the bloke I bought it off had it for 16 years and used to do regular family beach trips. It looks nothing like that and to my knowledge has not been painted, just good rustproofing from day one. Not to say don't buy it but just as others say look very closely and be careful, buy with your head there are plenty others out there!!!!

will do mate, thx for your help. Gonna go have a look at it on weekend

love ke70
9th January 2014, 10:55 PM
funnily enough, if you take something with that rust, and drive it for 12 months, alot of it will appear very minor, if its been sitting I would not be surprised to see that rust on it. If its been driven daily still and its that rusty I would think thats unusual. but if it has sat, alot of rust breaks out in a short while