PDA

View Full Version : Knocking under passenger side front Diff

paulvdw
2nd January 2014, 01:17 PM
Hi all

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced a knocking sound on the passenger side when turning the steering wheel from left to right?

You can feel it quite prominently if you sit in the passenger side.

Findings:
You have a splined arm that sits on the power steering pump. This then links to a smaller arm that goes from right to left wheels, this has the steering damper connected to it on one end. The other end of the damper connects to a larger arm that is anchored left and right on the front diff. The Nut on the left hand side was slightly loose causing the knocking.

Has anyone experienced this and is there something else i should be aware of?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers Paul

gaddy
2nd January 2014, 01:24 PM
This is all the arms by name , it's a handy picture to have if you don't know whats what38683

threedogs
2nd January 2014, 01:28 PM
If you take the weight off the front end via jack stands you maybe able to isolate it easier

paulvdw
2nd January 2014, 01:37 PM
Mine looks quite different to the pic Gaddy. I have a 3.0 L GU patrol.

I am thinking it is the tie rod.
It is attached to the front diff on the passenger side.

This is where the knocking was coming from threedogs. I was lying under the car while the missus was turning the steering wheel and after tightening the nut today the noise is gone.

Cheers

BigRAWesty
2nd January 2014, 02:21 PM
Pretty sure that's a left hand Toyota pic.
Or tie rods sit behind the diffs.
And drag or steering Rod is in front from left or right depending on left or right hand drive.

BigRAWesty
2nd January 2014, 02:26 PM
Mine looks quite different to the pic Gaddy. I have a 3.0 L GU patrol.

I am thinking it is the tie rod.
It is attached to the front diff on the passenger side.

This is where the knocking was coming from threedogs. I was lying under the car while the missus was turning the steering wheel and after tightening the nut today the noise is gone.

Cheers

Tie Rod is between wheel hubs.
Think you may mean drag or steering Rod. From steering box to hub.
Good find though. May pay to pull it out and inspect the taper for damage.

paulvdw
2nd January 2014, 02:29 PM
That's what I did. Pulled off and inspected. Nothing found apart from some rust. Greased up and replaced securing the nut.

threedogs
2nd January 2014, 04:10 PM
I'll put pic of mine here looking down the passenger side

paulvdw
2nd January 2014, 08:45 PM
Thanks Threedogs

I have placed an arrow where the nut was that was loose. Could only see the movement if you watched closely while someone moved the steering.

Cheers

sooty_10
3rd January 2014, 09:27 AM
Front panhard bolt then. I'd definitely be checking the rubber bush in there then, as a loose bolt allowing movement may shorten the bushes life. Worn bushes are also a common cause of front end wobble.

BigRAWesty
3rd January 2014, 10:22 AM
Front panhard bolt then. I'd definitely be checking the rubber bush in there then, as a loose bolt allowing movement may shorten the bushes life. Worn bushes are also a common cause of front end wobble.

X2. Pull the Rod out and get both bushes changed.

MudRunnerTD
3rd January 2014, 11:19 AM
Just for your clarification next time.

The pic that Gaddy put up I think is a Jeep and quite a bit different to a Nissan. Good find though.

So front of diff the parts are:

Steering box to the left side hub = Drag Link
Right side chassis to left side diff = Panard (this holds the body centred over the diffs, there is a rear one behind the rear diff too)
The steering damper connects between the Drag link and the Front Panard Rod.

behind the front diff is the Tie Rod that links the two hubs together to TIE them to the same line. The Tie Rod transfers the steering from the left to the right. Keeps the wheels parallel.

The Tie Rod is the only adjustment available on the front of a Nissan for Front Wheel alignment.

GrizzlyPiet
3rd February 2014, 12:05 AM
I have been chasing a knock that sounds just like this...
Thank you for the illustrations and the explanations. I will be looking at getting bushes replaced then I guess!

Thanks,
Piet