PDA

View Full Version : I'm after some advice on sd33's rebuild, reco engine or a 2nd hand lower with lwr kms

MS29431
26th January 2011, 04:17 AM
The old rig has done over 575,000 kms still starts well, runs well and pulls well, blow's white smoke for 2-3 min on cold startups but goes away when you start driving, but it doesn't burn oil between services ( Every 7 - 9,000 kms) That realy doesnt bother me..
Just wanted to get some ideas on possable: Rebuild Kits, reconditioned engines, low km engines what would be the most mediumly priced option
Also could i put a sd 33t engine in with no mods to be done is it a strait forward engine swap

YNOT
26th January 2011, 08:37 AM
The chances of finding a low KM second hand motor is very remote, but keep an eye out anyway. Tim recently picked up a good second hand SD33T for a very good price, even if it's only an average motor it means he can drop that in while he gets his original motor rebuilt so he can stay on the road.
SD33T will drop straight in but may need some mods to adapt intake and exhaust.
How good are you on the spanners? You stand to save a lot of money on a rebuild if you can remove the motor and rebuild it yourself.

Tony

MQ MAD
26th January 2011, 09:46 AM
Getting an SD 33 engine either Turbo or not are getting harder to get
They can be found if ya know where to find them ,but thats not too often unfortunately
Rebuild kits are $1200-$1500 ,from evilbay
Then rebuilding the IP(Injection Pump) can cost a plenty
Theres a bloke on another patrol forum spent just under 4K on his SD33 rebuild

Second hand motors
A good running SD33T can command and sell for around 1.5K,ive seen a few sell around that recently
The last SD33T engine i sold ,was complete with blown head gasket ,couldnt start and sold for $700
Just the Turbo and manifolds alone sell upwards to $500
Really depends on your budget

IF goin an SD33 n/a to SD33T change over a donor car is best

The main problem ,with these old rigs is, rusty or ruff versions are worth more pulled to bits
Bit long winded explainations for you

MS29431
26th January 2011, 12:53 PM
As ive mentioned to other forum members i've got no probs on the spanners ive got quite alot of stuff, as i was a forklift mechanic for some years 6 car garage etc lots of room to mess about, About the rebuild kits are they difficult or like any petrol rebuild, eg: just keep stuff clean and sorted and put it back were it went, Is there anything the you Don't get in a rebuild kit
Im still new to this Patrol caper so the more i ask the more i know?
Its weaps oil out of a pipe that runs to the front left of the block just above were the sump meets the block and weaps diesel out of hose from fuel filer to the pump (not enough to realy worry about though) and as ive said it smokes for 2-3 mins on startup but once it warms up on the road it goes away. Once again guy's Thanks for your info. MS
HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY I HOPE YOUR DOIN WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY TODAY

MQ MAD
26th January 2011, 02:59 PM
My MK ute does the same,but it wasnt driven for 5-6 years and i havent done a fuel filter and proper tune yet
Same deal as yours after a coupla minutes all fine
So ill know more or if a dirty fuel filter is/was the cause when its done
5k oil chances would be better for the old girl

Finly Owner
26th January 2011, 11:02 PM
My guess MS is valve guide seals. Hunt around Diesel spares for trucks in Melb, and you may pick up complete rebuild kit for an even grand.($1000.oo). This inc: Sleeves, Pistons, Rings, Gaskets, Bearings etc. You need to order correct kit for correct motor. The SD33 & SD33T are different and require different kits, even the heads and head gaskets are different.

Otherwise Ebay does have both kits as MQ Mad said.

Tim