PDA

View Full Version : nak nak noise from engine, please help

sehzata
25th January 2011, 11:51 PM
hello everybody,

i've a 91 model 4200 carby with LPG patrol

After I got my car from under the hood at idle and the sound came nak nak:oops:

sound speed increases with increasing rpm, like nak nak nak nak nak?

not like the sound of the valve, oil dipstick is normal and no heat.

Propeller?

belts? or what?

if I can t find the problem, i ll add video here.

NissanGQ4.2
25th January 2011, 11:57 PM
tappets need adjusting??? I'm sure one of the more mechanically minded members will be able 2 help you out

Finly Owner
26th January 2011, 12:06 AM
Bent push rod maybe, but should be missing badly

patch697
26th January 2011, 12:06 AM
Nak Nak nak??? I can tell you have tried hard to explain your problem but Im tipping in order to help you (if we can) we will need some more information. ie:

* Is it faint or loud

* Are you able to tell as on what side of the engine do you think it maybe coming from & top or bottom, front or back will help also.

* Does it get louder or softer as you bring the revs up or is there no change in the noise at all.

*does it change in or out of gear, or with the clutch in or out (IF you have a manual trans)

We will do our best to assist you but the more information you can provide the more we may be able to help.

NissanGQ4.2
26th January 2011, 12:10 AM
maybe be your traveling too close behind Plassy and your really hearing a Clack clack clack noise *LMAO*

sehzata
26th January 2011, 01:30 AM
Nak Nak nak??? I can tell you have tried hard to explain your problem but Im tipping in order to help you (if we can) we will need some more information. ie:

* Is it faint or loud

loud i can hear from the inside (idling) (

* Are you able to tell as on what side of the engine do you think it maybe coming from & top or bottom, front or back will help also.

front cooling fan and engine or engine top

* Does it get louder or softer as you bring the revs up or is there no change in the noise at all.
it get softer but accelerate as i bring the revs up

*does it change in or out of gear, or with the clutch in or out (IF you have a manual trans)
i have manual transmission and not related to the transmission and clutch
We will do our best to assist you but the more information you can provide the more we may be able to help.

*sounds like knoc knock, 2 or 3 times per second (idling)

i hope to describe:(

Finly Owner
26th January 2011, 01:34 AM
I still lean towards push rod bent.

sehzata
26th January 2011, 01:45 AM
I still lean towards push rod bent.

may be you are right, i ll go mechanic on saturday

sehzata
26th January 2011, 01:46 AM
i uploaded photo

sehzata
26th January 2011, 01:49 AM
Bent push rod maybe, but should be missing badly

sorry i forgot to ask, where is the ''bent push road' in engine?

sehzata
26th January 2011, 01:59 AM
ok i found pushrod but I do not know Is the sound coming from there

Finly Owner
26th January 2011, 11:20 PM
looking at pic, think it might be buggered waterpump. feel for movement.

sehzata
27th January 2011, 02:44 AM
looking at pic, think it might be buggered waterpump. feel for movement.

may be..occasional observations of the water decreases

today, noise lost:furious:

i don t understand anything about this event:furious:

Bob
27th January 2011, 07:46 AM
The Fan Belts sometimes make funny noises. Try to spray a lubricant on the Belts and if the Noise stops and if so replace Belts.

Ben-e-boy
27th January 2011, 08:09 PM
If you have the tools remove the timing gear cover and check the idler pulley. The idler pulleey is there to keep the tension on your timing chain or belt. Do what bob and finley said first then check you timing gear. I may be a good idea to check anyway as failure of any component in this area will lead to dramatic failure of you engine

Cheers

Benny

sehzata
28th January 2011, 07:11 PM
thanks guys, , I'll go mechanic tomorrow, the oil going to be changed and then the other treatments.

what kind of oil do you recommend i use?

20w-50
5w-30
0w-40
10w-40 ?????

wildgu6
31st January 2011, 04:00 PM
hey buddy, I actually hada nak nak noise in my GU. Thought i was going to be up for a lot of $$, sounded like a big end bearing....Ouch
Every one that listened to the car said the same, my mech man didnt think i was going to make it home it sounded so much like a big end.
Took car in for major $$$ repairs and they found all it was, was a shredded belt that no one including myself could see.
Total cost $130 labour and 2 new belts and nak nak no more.
Good luck buddy.

Cheers Pete

Silver
19th February 2011, 02:59 AM
My GQ had one of those noises, like tappets, but louder. Turned out to be leaking exhaust manifold gasket.

Ted
29th March 2011, 11:40 AM
Sorry if I'm bumping an old thread as I have some of the noises described by Silver, however I don't hear them in idle or when rolling along, however when in 3rd gear up to 5th the noise becomes more pronounced but doesn't seem to be coming from the engine bay.
After filling her all the way up with premium petrol the noise seems to be less pronounced but still there.
Have a mechanic mate coming over on thursday and will be doing a full service then too, just wondering what your views are on this?

I have introduced myself here btw.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3437-G-day

Ted

the ferret
29th March 2011, 01:20 PM
Check hamonic balancer, it may be loose, check for cracked fan blade, damaged fan belt, bearings in alternator, water pump bearings, loose power steering pump.
Take all fan belts off and start it up and see if the noise is still there.

Bob
29th March 2011, 01:55 PM
Take all fan belts off and start it up and see if the noise is still there.

fan belts can make some terrible noises when they start to split. As ferret said check those

the ferret
29th March 2011, 02:56 PM
Put hose 1 metre long in one ear, use as stethescope to find point of noise, watch out for fan blades and belts, take lots of care!!

Ted
29th March 2011, 10:34 PM
cheers fella's, will give it a look on thursday as im doing a full service. Have noticed lately that the sound seems to be coming from the exhaust / middle of the car and not the engine bay

the ferret
29th March 2011, 10:45 PM
Ha ha, Cheap fix.

Ted
29th March 2011, 11:34 PM
I was thinking exhaust and or manifold...? How is that a cheap fix?

the ferret
30th March 2011, 01:23 AM
Oh well, you did ask.
I'd rather replace a manifold gasket or exhaust pipe flange gasket than a timing set, head, valves , piston, bent rods, cracked piston, thrust washers on the crank,broken rings,oil pump,alternator, water pump or what ever,these are just some of the expensive things that can make the noises, so I think if it's just a gasket or cracked manifold, I think you should be very happy with that, I know I would.

Ted
30th March 2011, 10:56 PM
I know I am too mate thanks for elaborating! haha :)

Ted
1st April 2011, 10:00 AM
Wasnt far off, it was the exhaust manifold gasket.
$20 and turning a few bolts and fixed, not happy to see that the previous one hadn't used any Maniseal on it either... All is good now though and she runs like a dream again

Silver
1st April 2011, 12:58 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one to think this, and someone has to type it.

I think the noise indicates something is Nak Nak Nakkered :-).

Good news on the exhaust manifold Ted!

Ted
1st April 2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah mate pretty happy it was a reasonably easy fix, what turned out to cost me abit more was the right rear wheel bearing. Had to take it to a shop as they're pressed together and a new bearing kit including the seals so another $230 further all done (Yes, 80 dollars just to do that, 150 for the bearing!)

Anyhow all back on the road now!