PDA

View Full Version : Gq extractors or exhaust below manifold

GQ TANK
30th December 2013, 12:24 PM
Wanted western suburbs melbourne for TB42 - lwb

GQ extractors
or

the twin ehaust pipe into one that connects to the flange below the manifold - mine has cracked and I have a trip next week

menace 2
30th December 2013, 12:34 PM
can you weld it up ?...I have one you could walk away with (in-fact the whole system ) but I am no good to you ...it is in CQ and I wont get back there till I start work again

GQ TANK
30th December 2013, 01:23 PM
Yes it could be welded - but with a mig, I only have an arc and im not good enough to weld exhaust pipe

MudRunnerTD
30th December 2013, 01:26 PM
Yes it could be welded - but with a mig, I only have an arc and im not good enough to weld exhaust pipe

Get it welded up at an exhaust joint then mate? $50 for the fix maybe? Give BloodyAussie a yell out, he may have taken something off the donor car before he got rid of it?

BigRAWesty
30th December 2013, 01:39 PM
Where is the crack?
If it's in the cast iron manifold take it off and clean it up.
V out the crack if possible a little
Put it in the oven for half hour as hot as it can go, 250+ would be awesome.
Remove it carefully and weld it with the stick then bang it back in the oven for half hour, then turn off and let cool in the oven.
Should be good to go.

Winnie
30th December 2013, 01:41 PM
What does putting it in the oven do Kallen?

gaddy
30th December 2013, 01:55 PM
Thats a old boiler maker and black smiths trick . The old man taught me that years ago he used to light a fire in a cut 44 drum

GQ TANK
30th December 2013, 03:52 PM
The manifold is ok - I have a spare any way

The flange that connects to the manifold has 2 pipes, One of the pipes just below where the pipe is welded to the flange has cracked all the way around.

Most exhaust shops, and wreckers are closed this week - I would like to have it fixed before the weekend

BigRAWesty
30th December 2013, 05:17 PM
What does putting it in the oven do Kallen?

What these guys said.. :D
http://www.twi.co.uk/technical-knowledge/faqs/process-faqs/faq-why-is-preheat-used-when-arc-welding-steel-and-how-is-it-applied/

The manifold is ok - I have a spare any way

The flange that connects to the manifold has 2 pipes, One of the pipes just below where the pipe is welded to the flange has cracked all the way around.

Most exhaust shops, and wreckers are closed this week - I would like to have it fixed before the weekend

If it's just the pipe to the flags and not cast then stick will be fine.
Clean it up, point the stick at the flange so it absorbs more of the heat than the pipe.

If it is cast then pre and post heat as above.

BigRAWesty
30th December 2013, 05:22 PM
Just looked and my TD42 and Its mild steel to flange lower section.
So if it's the same just clean it up with a wire brush, and weld it up.

GQ TANK
30th December 2013, 07:31 PM
I have tried n the pass to weld exhaust - im not good enough with the stick - I will make it holly

menace 2
31st December 2013, 12:46 AM
I have tried n the pass to weld exhaust - im not good enough with the stick - I will make it holly

have a go at welding it tank...you have nothing to lose..it is stuffed now and you cant use it so give it a go , you never know ...keep your amps low (about 80-90....westy would know the best amps ) and start the stick off on the flange because it is thicker and then move the stick to the crack while it is arcing ....then just do small tacks as you go around if you are not confident....you may have to grind it back and do small tacks again.....you have nothing to lose now tank....maybe look in ebay or gumtree for some one stripping one near you....
have a go mate

BigRAWesty
31st December 2013, 10:06 AM
Yea use 2.5 rods and around the 50-60 amp Mark. Start in an area which is easy to grind Off. And once your happy do between the pipes.
Prep is key. The cleaner the steel the easier it'll be