PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Gu 4.2 coil ute $32,000

agius91
29th December 2013, 10:48 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a Nissan Patrol Gu 4.2 ute preferably 05-06.
I'm really keen on a coil cab Dx or St I'm not bothered white or grey not a big fan of red and gold preferably.
It's needs be 150,000 kilometers or under.
My main concerns are, it needs to be coil cab, very clean, mechanically a1 serviced regularly.
And hasn't been through too much. I'm willing to spend up to $32,000.

nissannewby
29th December 2013, 11:18 PM
Increase your budget or lower your expectations. I coil ute with less than 150,000 05-06 which will be a 4.2 turbo intercooled diesel you will be look at high 30's easy mate or be patient and you might get lucky. Other wise I would jump on your mates one. Nothing wrong with leaf rear mate.

agius91
30th December 2013, 01:09 AM
Thanks mate, I'll take your advice into consideration.

brwndoggy
30th December 2013, 10:51 AM
Increase your budget or lower your expectations. I coil ute with less than 150,000 05-06 which will be a 4.2 turbo intercooled diesel you will be look at high 30's easy mate or be patient and you might get lucky. Other wise I would jump on your mates one. Nothing wrong with leaf rear mate.

Ditto to that

Id buy your mates one in a heartbeat if i were you, plenty of pro's and cons to both coil and leaf. I have plenty of mates that refuse to go coil. The only real difference for me is the ride comfort. I had a gq ute with coil front and leaf back, was a bit bumpy at times and thats about it. And also for me if you know the driving history of a vehicles, especially Utes that's invaluable to me.

GL

agius91
30th December 2013, 01:01 PM
I'm pretty new to this, I havnt spent much time around 4wds in my life. I have done alot of research but to my belief it might be a bit biased at times. I don't think leafs are bad but people keep saying wait and get coils.

threedogs
30th December 2013, 01:07 PM
you could graft a coil set up on the front if need be.
Buy your mates throw some parabloics on it and see how you go .
Either way you have a 4.2 for $28K that most here would kill to get hold of. lol

Winnie
30th December 2013, 01:12 PM
@threedogs they are already coil front, leaves in the rear.

agius91
30th December 2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks mate,

93patrol
30th December 2013, 01:26 PM
Or buy a gq coil cab and spend the other 20g on mods

brwndoggy
30th December 2013, 02:21 PM
1999 Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute
4.2 Turbo Diesel was originally N/A but I put a GT28/60r garret ball bearing turbo a high performance top mount intercooler and a 3"turbo back exhaust on it and then had it tuned at northside 4x4.
2" lift kit, GME TX3200 UHF radio, Alpine stereo Bluetooth and iPod Alpine splits, Turbo timer & Lightforce 240 XGT spotlights.
340 on the clock no oil leaks no major rust only small stone chips.
Need a wagon due to new born son.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/364609176976457/

Just found this mate, its in QLD and a bit older than you want but looks like a nice truck

threedogs
30th December 2013, 02:56 PM
easier still graft a coil rear end on it.
the way I see it you have a great opportunity to buy a 4.2td coil cab ute for $28000 and you're not going to take it.
I and many here would be all over that like a cheap suit. Straight up you save $4K, If you don't need load carrying capabilities
Throw some parabolic springs in the rear, you may be very surprised. M2CW

agius91
30th December 2013, 03:37 PM
1999 Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute
4.2 Turbo Diesel was originally N/A but I put a GT28/60r garret ball bearing turbo a high performance top mount intercooler and a 3"turbo back exhaust on it and then had it tuned at northside 4x4.
2" lift kit, GME TX3200 UHF radio, Alpine stereo Bluetooth and iPod Alpine splits, Turbo timer & Lightforce 240 XGT spotlights.
340 on the clock no oil leaks no major rust only small stone chips.
Need a wagon due to new born son.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/364609176976457/

Just found this mate, its in QLD and a bit older than you want but looks like a nice truck

I was looking close to something my friend has just a clean ute, but spend a little extra and get a coil. Thank you for the help tho.

agius91
30th December 2013, 03:39 PM
easier still graft a coil rear end on it.
the way I see it you have a great opportunity to buy a 4.2td coil cab ute for $28000 and you're not going to take it.
I and many here would be all over that like a cheap suit. Straight up you save $4K, If you don't need load carrying capabilities
Throw some parabolic springs in the rear, you may be very surprised. M2CW

Newbie question, what are parabolic springs.

93patrol
30th December 2013, 03:55 PM
google is your friend

macca
30th December 2013, 04:04 PM
Agius, what do you want to do with it? Rocky rutted climbs or outback touring?

The coil has a GVM or 3100Kg whereas the leafy has a GVM of 3400Kg

If rock climbing a coil is probably better for wheel travel or as TD says a set of flexy springs like Parabolic or SAX (3SDS) in place of the leaf pack you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

http://saxsuspension.com/products.html

http://www.westraliasprings.com.au/category/4wd_parabolic_suspension/23

If touring you have 300Kg of extra payload with a leafy, that is real handy to have. A coil will need some modding of the rear coil seats to be able to carry the GVM over the horrendous outback highways, roads and tracks.

An interesting thing happens with a leafy when needing wheel articulation, as the rear is stiffer and doesn't have great wheel travel it makes the front suspension work better. Add a front diff lock and in my case I keep up with all of our clubs coil vehicles with the same approximate lift etc etc.

A leafy diff is a big MoFo and does get hooked up on rocks as do the front hangers of the rear springs and the U-bolt packs.

Lots of plusses and minuses, but you are looking at a good buy with your mates ute.

Also the chassis of the 2 types are different, I would be very wary of modding a leafy to a coil. Load points on the chassis are not as designed as one example. Why I wont fit air bag helpers to mine.

Not impossible just not for me.

agius91
30th December 2013, 05:15 PM
I think I would chicken out on most occasions, on the hard stuff, I wouldn't want to take a 30k gamble without experience atm. For now I would use it for hunting and some easy trails. Reason I was looking to go coil cause I'm only going to do this once and I want to do it proper. I really appreciate everyone's input. Didn't think I would get so many response's.

macca
30th December 2013, 06:24 PM
For now I would use it for hunting and some easy trails.

Its a no brainer, grab your mates.

brwndoggy
30th December 2013, 06:44 PM
Its a no brainer, grab your mates.

totally agree with you macca, no brainer

agius91
30th December 2013, 06:54 PM
Thanks boys, 1 question can I put wheel spacers on the back diff. To make wheels equal to the front.

macca
30th December 2013, 08:09 PM
You can, but they are for off road use only.

Then again so are a lot of things on our 4B's.

Spacers are something that you don't want failing at 100kph

agius91
30th December 2013, 09:51 PM
Ok :( something I can live with.

james008
31st December 2013, 01:39 AM
I'd just go the leafy, nothing wrong with lead springs, I'm running soft leaf packs in my MK and the ride is firm, but not harsh.
Unless you're doing more extreme off road tracks you won't need the extra articulation of a coil spring either, especially if you get parabolic springs fitted. Speaking of parabolics I recommend them highly, I've been driven around in a Series IIA Land Rover with parabolic springs and the ride quality was very good, soaked up bumps and corrugations nicely and almost made the rubbish they pass off as a seat bearable.