PDA

View Full Version : GQ relay questions

ripper
24th January 2011, 11:58 PM
Two things I'm wondering about re relays.
Does anyone know what the atp ptc heater relay does?
It's on the drivers side of the engine bay, under the cover next to the battery.

The other thing is that I want to move all the relays that are under that cover. I want to be able to take the cover off and the relays stay screwed down instead of being attached to the lid.
Does anyone have any good ideas for how the reattach them? Basically I plan the screw a piece of aluminium angle in there to put them onto, but getting the metal mounting tabs that the relays slide onto seems a bit tricky.

I'm planning 5 new circuits and want to mount my new fuse panel under that cover with the standard relays. My new fuse panel ebaymotors item=180527940278 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180527940278&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT) arrived today. It seems like a bit of an overkill but getting a good price on a block that can handle decent amps wasn't easy. My new circuits add up to a bit over 80 amps (wont be using them all at once though), and this fuse block is rated for up to 160A, on up to 14 circuits.

I'll do some photos as I work on it. Still have a few more things to order before I start installing anything.

YNOT
25th January 2011, 12:16 AM
PTC heater is only fitted on RB30 Patrols. It's the heating element mounted under the carby.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/IMGP0559.jpg

Tony

ripper
25th January 2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks Tony. No idea why ours has the relay then. Maybe they had some spares they wanted to get rid of.

the evil twin
25th January 2011, 11:52 AM
Hmm curious...

I also thought the ATP PTC Relay ( Analog To Pulse - Positive Temperature Co-efficient Relay so no wonder the use the abbreviation) was only on RB30's but my GQ was an EFI not a Carby so can't comment with any real authority on the Carby TB42 so I'd go with Tony's opinion as well... unless someone else has more info?

patch697
25th January 2011, 11:58 AM
Mines TB42 carby & it doesn't have one if it helps.

MC97GQ
21st June 2011, 07:01 PM
ripper,

How did you go with your new relay setup, I am planning on rewiring that part of my GQ as well to accommodate 2 new relays for my headlights as well as one for driving lights.

I was wondering if you got it sorted and if you did could you put up some piccys of your mod.

Mark

ripper
21st June 2011, 07:46 PM
Hi Mark

I still haven't got it done. At the moment I'm still working on putting another auto trans in. This has been complicated by my health going really bad. I've got CFS which is always a problem, but I'm also trying to fight off the flu ATM.

With the relays, I've decided to make a new cover for them (I've got a piece of SS to do it with), and to chop up the original cover to use as the new mounting bracket for them.

MC97GQ
21st June 2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the quick reply ripper,

I hope you get the better of the flu they seem to hang on more nowadays, I'll have to have a good look at it over a few bevvys(normally can be quite inspirational)

I'm trying to sort a little headlight issue and I thought I would tidy up some wiring at the same time. The joys of buying a 14 yo truck that someone who had no idea owned.

Mark

ripper
21st June 2011, 09:11 PM
The joys of buying a 14 yo truck that someone who had no idea owned.

Yeah, ours is the same, just older.
I'm not impressed with how Nissan did some of the wiring originally, and the mods done since then haven't helped.

timbar
24th June 2011, 03:22 AM
yeah know that feeling Mate mines a mess love to see some pics on what you have done i could do with a tidy up in that department for sure

MC97GQ
25th June 2011, 11:08 PM
Hi timbar,

I am about to undertake a revamp of the relays and the headlights, and I will post some pics.

I intend to start at the relay panel and put new wiring in for the headlights and driving lights.

I have ordered parts on the net, so I am hoping to start this week ripper has inspired me and with a little bit of inspiration, it should all happen soon,

Mark