PDA

View Full Version : Sticky speedo needle

Skids13
19th December 2013, 05:43 PM
Hi everyone I have a 85 MK, and my speedometer needle is sticking on the face of the instrument dial because the sun or excessive heat has warped the needle so the tip of it is getting caught on the face. I have straightened it by heating it with cig lighter, worked a treat till the hot weather, now stuck with same problem! thinking of buying a 2nd hand cluster off ebay to pinch the needles off it $30 0r so its either that or try and melt a bit of thin mig (welding) wire up the guts of it so its more rigid and wont warp and scrape on the dial? if anybody has had the same problem and had another solution plz feel free to fill me!!!!! cheers guys!

james008
19th December 2013, 07:26 PM
I bent mine back, but did not use a lighter. I just gently massaged it back straight and it stayed there.
I suppose you could glue a bit of wire to the back to strengthen it.

GQ TANK
3rd January 2014, 11:57 AM
I tried bending mine backin my old MK, ended up shortening the needle as the very tip bends and scrapes on the dash

Skids13
1st February 2014, 05:11 PM
I end up pulling the old ciggy lighter out again to melt/ straighten it again works for now, was quoted $130 to have the cluster re calibrated, quick fix for now but for that price calibration mught not be a bad idea, thanx heaps guys!

Ric
26th March 2014, 11:50 PM
I've got the same problem in my 85 MK.
How do you get to the needle. Do you have to remove the whole cluster or is there an easy way to get to it?

Cheers Ric

james008
4th April 2014, 09:39 PM
I pulled my cluster out, removed the clear plastic cover and was very careful!
Pulling the needle off and sticking back on can apparently damage some of the mechanism inside. That is what I have heard and didn't want to chance it.