PDA

View Full Version : Leaking brake booster

MS29431
23rd January 2011, 04:36 PM
My booster is leaking pretty bad...... Still hard pedal stop's well but is leaking fluild wreaking paint etc... Can somone tell me how hard they are to change (is there anything to look out for) or a place in vic that i can get a good reco or new one from????

MQ MAD
23rd January 2011, 06:02 PM
Is the master cylinder leaking fresh fluid ???
From the pics doesnt look to fresh,paint already lifted
Looks like typical early patrol pic

How much fluid are you goin thru ??
Top up daily,weekly,monthly ect
Options are,
Either buy a kit and rebuild the brake master cylinder yourself
Pay someone to do above
Buy a new master cylinder and fit yourself or pay someone to fit
Either way the full brake system will need a rebleed
Its not a 5 min job
Cost,
Well that depends on ,parts and labour costs,and what you can or cant do

MS29431
24th January 2011, 05:59 PM
I had drama's with a broken cap a few years back hence the old lifted paint,But it is leaking fresh fluid, I've found that i'm refilling it once a fortnite or so, Got no prob's giving it a crack (changing the whole unit that is) i'll get a whole new master just wondering if there's any tips for things i need to do or lookout for, Thanks for your input its greatly appreciated... MS

YNOT
24th January 2011, 06:07 PM
It's a fairly straight forward job, make sure you have a good set of pipe spanners the right size (pipe spanners llok like ring spanners with a small section of the ring cut out to go over the pipe).
Remove as much brake fluid from the reservoir as you can.
Remove the brake lines from the master cylinder.
Undo the bolts holding the cylinder to the booster.
Fit the new cylinder and reconnect brake lines.
Bleed the brakes.

Easy.

Tony

MS29431
24th January 2011, 06:27 PM
Sweet, sounds pretty strait forward ive got pipe spanners etc thanks for your info much much appreciated.... I've worked on all type's of equipment over the years but never 4X4's i guess its just a matter of having the confidence ind info to give it a go Thanks again mate... MS

MQ MAD
24th January 2011, 06:53 PM
Yeah fairly straight forward as Tony mentions
Just have a container of water handy
If ya get any brake fluid on the paint work
Wash off straight away

patch697
25th January 2011, 12:51 PM
A few more Tips.

Brake fluid can be removed from the reservoir by using a rag (it will soak into it)

Only by good brand pipe spanners as the cheaper ones will do more harm than good, not to mention damage.

MS29431
25th January 2011, 04:35 PM
The old Sidchrome's will do the trick, Somthings, Like tools you can't afford to cheap out on.

patch697
25th January 2011, 09:02 PM
onya mate........

Finly Owner
25th January 2011, 11:12 PM
Another two tips, keep water away from breathholes on reseviors, and use the correct type brake fluid for you model patrol.

Patrol Tico
1st September 2011, 11:58 AM
Another two tips, keep water away from breathholes on reseviors, and use the correct type brake fluid for you model patrol.
What would be that one on a GQ or Y60? thanks mate.

Evolution
1st September 2011, 09:43 PM
You can use dot 3 or dot 4 brakefluid, you can go a higher number brake fluid than the OEM spec's but not lower.

You can also get air locks in the load proportioning valve, if you end up with a spongey pedal, try bleeding the valve and then the rear brakes.