PDA

View Full Version : Where to Tour in Victoria

GU CAMPER
15th December 2013, 08:06 PM
Hi everyone

I'm about to leave on a holiday to travel around Australia

I'm looking at heading to Victoria first for a month or so

Looking for good tracks, campsites etc

Also heading to Tasmania for a month or so after. So also looking for ideas for there as well. I'm interested in trying most tracks. Have a front locker, 35 inch tyres. Maybe a rear locker and sliders in next few weeks

Chimo
15th December 2013, 08:56 PM
GU Camper

Take a run thru the Hattah Kulkyne National Park. Also along the Murray River in that neck of the woods is good too, just don't park or camp under the red gums as they have a nasty habit of dropping limbs when you least expect it. (Just in case you don't know this) Midura and surrounds is also a good spot to spend a bit of time, again the river is good hear too and your almost next door to the Darling Murray junction which is worth a look too.

Cheers
Chimo

GU CAMPER
15th December 2013, 09:10 PM
Thanks for that Chimo, will have a look around, Cheers for the tip about the Red Gums, Will have to try my luck at fishing ( my idea of fishing is rod in water with beer in hand, rod does'nt have to have bait, more interested in relaxing with a beer

Cheers Andy

happygu
15th December 2013, 10:44 PM
Andy,

Anywhere in the High Country is great ... you could spend two weeks and not cover any of the same tracks .....

Great camp areas would include but aren't limited to the following :
Pineapple Flat on the King River, near Mt Stirling
anywhere in the Dargo/Talbotville Region,
Wonangatta / Licola Region, including the drive down Zeka Spur into Wonangatta Valley and then our Herne Spur out the other end,

Great Drives include:
Blue Rag Range Track
Billy Goats Bluff Track with a trip up to the Pinnacles
Deddick Trail on the Snowy River

I could go on and on, as there are numerous fantastic spots ..... just get some maps, do a little research, find some trip notes, and you will be amazed.

Mic

jack
15th December 2013, 11:31 PM
Hi Andy,

After you've done the high country you have to travel the Great Ocean Road. Throw in the Grampians and the Otways and you'll be ready to hit SA. This is after you've visited Ballarat, be good to catchup again.

Cheers
Jack

GU CAMPER
15th December 2013, 11:36 PM
Thanks Mic

I plan on spending as long as I can around the High Country

Hi Jack

How are you and your lovely wife
I will definitely drop in and say g'day at Ballarat. Will also be catching up with Luke and Will. Also will have to check out otways, grampians etc

Cheers Andy

mudnut
15th December 2013, 11:38 PM
Don't forget a quick look at the Pyrenees ranges and the Mt Cole area on your way through western Vic.

Drewboyaus
15th December 2013, 11:53 PM
For high country maps, get yourself a set of the Rooftops series of maps mate. Easily the most detailed maps of high country tracks with lots of added track notes and historic points of interest like old mining equipment cemetery's etc.

Cuppa
15th December 2013, 11:53 PM
Travel down from northern NSW staying in the Great Dividing Range for the whole distance. Some fantastic country especially once into the Vic High country. Down through Mitta & Omeo, plenty of great camp spots, (or Corryong to Omeo via Benambra - some great camp spots - & get a steak at the Benambra hotel) & then across Mt Hotham to Bright, followed by a trip along the Murray. Heaps of good camp spots along the Murray too. To Mildura & Mungo National Park, then up to Broken Hill , & north to Mutawintji NP. Up to Milparinka & Tibooburra. All dirt north of Broken Hill. Back to Broken Hill (& Silverton). Across the Barrier Hwy to Jamestown in SA, down to Burra (Burra Gorge is a good free camp) & back down to the coast, Portland, Warnambool, Great Ocean Road, Melbourne & across to Tassie. :)

threedogs
16th December 2013, 08:08 AM
High country is a given, you could do a tour the wine region around Yarrawonga, always great weather.
The great Ocean Road is very Scenic. Up around the golden triangle for some history, Its a great place Victoria,
Maybe google Tourism Vic and see what scratches your itch.

Drewboyaus
16th December 2013, 06:55 PM
Nice itinerary Cuppa! Sounds like something you've done.....or would like to......

Cuppa
16th December 2013, 09:01 PM
Nice itinerary Cuppa! Sounds like something you've done.....or would like to......

Yeah, have done it all, but not in one trip. Drove a Troopy I bought in Bundaberg back to home to Gippsland staying in the mountains all the way. Much of the Vic high country I’ve done on bikes as well as 4 wheels.
The trip up to Tibooburra was years ago in an HQ station wagon (253/trimatic/limited slip diff) towing a trailer with a couple of dirt bikes. Ground clearance was a bit of an issue a couple of times, but we managed. Riding with my son (then aged about 5 or 6) pillion across the Sturt Sony desert & seeing ‘moving hillsides’ of thousands of roos (Red & grey, plus emus) was a sight burned into my memory banks. Lake Mungo is a great bit of ‘accessible outback’ we’ve taken overseas visitors to a few times. Mutawingintji has amazing tessellated rocks with yellow tailed rock wallabies living on them. The ‘hollow’ sounds of their feet across the rocks is memorable, as was having a couple of sherbets at Milparinka, I don’t think I bought that lizard that the kid was trying to sell me!

BigRAWesty
16th December 2013, 11:18 PM
Also have the boarder track to mix things up..
How long did you say your there for?? A year?? Lol

happygu
16th December 2013, 11:34 PM
Also have the boarder track to mix things up..
How long did you say your there for?? A year?? Lol

That is why I only added a few things / trips, as there is so much that can be done......

I remember trying to see Tassie in two weeks, and virtually only getting down the west coast, and everyone says there is nothing there compared to the east.....

Mic

GU CAMPER
17th December 2013, 07:50 AM
That's my main idea for this trip. Is to have no time limit and no set plans. So if I am really enjoying somewhere I can stay longer.
I could end up being a year or longer in Vic. Lol

threedogs
17th December 2013, 08:11 AM
If you're going to tick off some "BIG" items there is the big Strawberry at Koonamoo.
Echuca is dripping early pioneer stuff with paddle steamers the main thing

Drewboyaus
17th December 2013, 08:45 AM
There's also the ancient aboriginal rock art down in the southern Grampians. Grampians is a nice place to camp too. Some great bush walks.

threedogs
17th December 2013, 10:18 AM
Following the coast road is very scenic, and don't forget Phillip island,
The big worm at Kurrumburra. LOL

GU CAMPER
5th January 2014, 11:10 AM
Thanks for all the ideas.
I have changed my plans. Only spent a few days in Victoria this time through. Heading over to Tassie, on the boat at the moment

Ended up driving down the coast rd and camped at blue pools.

Will be in tassie for at least a month, most likely two months. Who has some good ideas for Tassie. I'm hoping to try and check out. Balfour Track. Sandy cape. Cockle creek. Montezumma falls track. Bay of fires. Freycinet National Park. Port Arthur and anywhere else

More looking for good 4wd tracks etc

Cheers Andy

Winnie
5th January 2014, 11:21 AM
The blue pools are awesome.

Cuppa
5th January 2014, 11:22 AM
Ended up driving down the coast rd and camped at blue pools.

Should’ve dropped me a line. Blue Pool is not too far from our place & we have plenty of 4wd tracks on our doorstep. Enjoy Tassie, something I’m yet to do.

GU CAMPER
5th January 2014, 11:28 AM
Yeah I can't wait to get to tassie. Ended up driving down from northern nsw via the great dividing range. It was a great drive

Also spent a few nights at Mystery Bay near Nowra on south coast of NSW. It is a beautiful spot. Will definitely be going back

Winnie. Yeah blue pools was amazing

BigRAWesty
5th January 2014, 05:28 PM
Yeah I can't wait to get to tassie. Ended up driving down from northern nsw via the great dividing range. It was a great drive

Also spent a few nights at Mystery Bay near Nowra on south coast of NSW. It is a beautiful spot. Will definitely be going back

Winnie. Yeah blue pools was amazing

Awesome. Enjoy

threedogs
5th January 2014, 06:20 PM
Any where is great in vic from the deserts to some rugged coastline of the south.
Anywhere along the Murray, the High country its all good,

GU CAMPER
5th January 2014, 07:41 PM
I plan on spending a minimum of a month, more likely 2 or 3 months touring Victoria when I get back from tassie

Just arrived in tassie. Was a good boat trip. Got a bit rough. I saw quite a few patrols on the boat. Not sure if anyone from here. Don't think so

Cheers Andy

TPC
5th January 2014, 09:37 PM
You should pm Taslucas, he will suggest some places you should see.
Have never been to Tassie myself but definitely on my to do list.

jack
6th January 2014, 01:41 PM
Hi Andy,
Agree with TPC, Taslucas will know the places that you will enjoy. Also check out my thread from early last year http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?18127-Recommendations-For-Tassie-Must-See-amp-Accommodation
You went to Tassie a couple of days early, should have come to the BBQ and Otways drive. As you're never one shirk a challenge, there was a bog-hole there that would have been right up your alley.
Enjoy the trip mate and take care.

GU CAMPER
6th January 2014, 01:50 PM
Hi Jack

I am not happy I missed the BBQ and drive in Otways. I saw a pic of the bog hole, it would have been fun to give it a crack lol. I was in Braybrook the night of the BBQ but didn't come as I would have got lost getting there and back. Also had to be at the ferry terminal crack of dawn on the Sunday. It was hard enough getting up at 5:30am on holidays yet alone after a BBQ and beers the night before

Will check out that thread

See ya when I come thru your way. How is Elsie going

GU CAMPER
23rd February 2014, 05:47 PM
Here's a couple pics if my trip so far. All in Tassie so far

East Sandy Point. Near Bridport

Balfour Track

Sunset Arthur River

Start of Sandy Cape Beach
On the Sandy Cape Track

Wineglass Bay

Sunset at Moulting Lagoon
Near St Helens

Sawback Range Track
Adamsfield

Sawback Range

Old Hut at Adamsfield

Carving at the Thermal Springs

Targa Wrest Point Rally

View from The Neck Bruny Island

Jacobs Ladder. Ben Lommond National Park

Ocean Beach. Strahan

Instructions for getting on the Fatman Barge

TPC
23rd February 2014, 06:02 PM
Great photos Andy, I am green with envy.

GU CAMPER
25th February 2014, 08:47 PM
Booked my ticket on the spirit of Tasmania back to Melbourne today
Leavin Tassie on 23rd March

Then to explore the High Country I think

mudski
25th February 2014, 08:57 PM
Do you have an itinerary? Maybe we can meet up in the high country somewhere.

jack
25th February 2014, 09:03 PM
Booked my ticket on the spirit of Tasmania back to Melbourne today
Leavin Tassie on 23rd March

Then to explore the High Country I think

Hey Andy,

Good to see you've survived Tassie (so far), be good to catchup again. Sure you'll have some stories to tell and I'll bet you took the hard option at every opportunity.

Cheers
Jack

GU CAMPER
25th February 2014, 09:05 PM
No itinerary. Just whatever happens

I'd be keen to catch up in the high country

Only booked my ferry ticket today as I spoke to a guy that said the ferry is booked out till mid April. But I was luckily able to get one of the last tickets for March cause I don't have a trailer

GU CAMPER
25th February 2014, 09:11 PM
Hey Andy,

Good to see you've survived Tassie (so far), be good to catchup again. Sure you'll have some stories to tell and I'll bet you took the hard option at every opportunity.

Cheers
Jack

Hi Jack
Haven't completely survived Tassie yet. Still gonna catch up with Lucas before I go. Might not survive that one. Lol.
It's no fun if you don't take the hard option. Lol. No more big bog holes for me tho. Cost too much money. Just had to replace starter motor. Which I had just replaced after it failing on way home from the Cape York trip.
Will be good to catch up again whilst I'm in Vic. You should come up the High Country

mudski
25th February 2014, 09:26 PM
Keep us posted on when and where. Hopefully we can meet up somewhere.

patrolman123
20th March 2014, 08:27 PM
Ill be up the high country from the 11th to the 13th of april. Be happy to show u a few good spots

GU CAMPER
9th May 2014, 07:44 AM
I have finally made it to Victoria

Going to be in Vic until I leave for the Simpson desert crossing. Who is leaving from Victoria for the Simpson crossing. Is anyone still doing a double crossing. I'd be keen to do a double

Thinking of checking out the high country for a few weeks. The Great Ocean Rd etc. where else do u recommend

Might try and make it to the Toolangi trip next weekend and meet a few of you.

jack
22nd May 2014, 11:14 AM
Well GU Camper has spent the last week or so in the Ballarat area, was very good to catch up again Andy.
Today he's starting his journey into the Otways and the Great Ocean Road - that will keep him busy for a while with so much to see.
While he was here we also met up with Cuppa and they compared Pods, talked travel, camping, Patrols etc.
Went out for a 4Wd with 2 Toymotas and a Navara on Saturday and found some decent tracks and lots of mud, a few recoveries were required. GU Camper displayed his skills in mud and hills, no challenge was shirked and the GU's came through with flying colours.

GU Camper
One of many on the day

Travel safe Andy and take care mate.

Cuppa
22nd May 2014, 11:21 AM
Enjoy the Otways & GOR Andy. Maybe a day or three in the Grampians might be worthwhile too?
When back up this way you are welcome to camp at our place if you want to.

cheers
Cuppa

GU CAMPER
23rd May 2014, 02:52 PM
I've decided to check out the High Country first. Then do great ocean rd and grampians on my way to the Simpson

Any recommendations for The High country

Thanks again for having me Jack. Much appreciated.
Cheers Andy

DX grunt
23rd May 2014, 05:50 PM
Hey Gav.

When you get near WA, let us know and I'll try and sort something out - roster pending.

Rossco

DX grunt
23rd May 2014, 05:51 PM
Any recommendations for The High country

Rug up and stay warm. lol