PDA

View Full Version : GU Dual Fuel Issues

RickSue
23rd January 2011, 11:09 AM
Hi
Everyone, only joined yesterday.
Already getting loads of info.
Hi have had the Patrol since June last year. Done a few trips in the last 6 months. Having fun back 4wdriving.Patrol is on petrol/gas recently having issues with running on petrol OK on gas. When on petrol low on power & use excessive amount of fuel. Suspect electric fuel pump anybody else encountered this problem? This is our first Patrol so not real familiar with it's workings yet.Posted this yesterday but in new members section. Read some replies & hoping we have put it in the right section now?

YNOT
23rd January 2011, 12:51 PM
For the sake of the thread and for people who search for dual fuel issues in future I have copied the relevant reponses from your intro thread.

Dual fuel cars that spend the majority of their time running on gas often suffer fuel (petrol) system degradation due to lack of use. Petrol goes stale in the tank, fuel pumps can clog and seize up, carby gaskets dry out and jets block up, on injected models the injectors can clog up, the list goes on.
LPG backfires can also damage air boxes and air flow meters and blow inlet ducting off.

Tony

From BigRig;

I just had a similar problem with mine - turned out to be the Coolant Temperature Sensor on the thermostat housing - thread link below - may not be the same, but have a look through (mostly towards the end of the thread, and see if the symptoms are similar to yours):

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...erature+sensor

felix
10th February 2011, 08:07 PM
what milage are getting when on gas if you dont mind me asking

RickSue
10th April 2011, 10:31 AM
Shocking on both gas & petrol now. Have replaced the fuel pump as recommended by mechanics. 80 litres of gas for 300km similar for petrol. Replaced front auto hubs recently as well due to problems with drivers side not disengaging properly. thought that might have been contributing as always dragging. Every time we fuel up seems to be worse.

YNOT
10th April 2011, 02:58 PM
Ok lets go back a few steps here and get some more information about the car.
1, What year model and body type?
2, What engine (and is it EFI or carby) and transmission?
3, Has it had a tune up recently and does it still have the standard exhaust?
4, What have you tried so far (apart from the fuel pump) to fix the fuel consumption issue?

Tony

timbar
10th April 2011, 03:51 PM
for about 75lt gas im getting around 230 to 250km

my third 256
10th April 2011, 05:37 PM
had a 95 gq efi 4.2 got 330km from 87 ltrs of gas

katwoman
10th April 2011, 06:24 PM
There is a fuel consumption thread here somewhere. ( can't do it thru iPhone) It sounds normal to me. GU petrols are excessively thirsty !!mine gets 300 klms to 80 lt gas..

timbar
10th April 2011, 06:28 PM
the GQ EFI are a bit better on fuel my mate has a 4.2 and he gets 350 to 80LT

AussieRoadHammer
18th April 2011, 01:04 AM
My '99 GU was getting around 300k's on 80lts of LPG. had it serviced and tuned and now getting 340k's on 80lts around town.

Bigrig
18th April 2011, 07:28 AM
I'm averaging about 470 per 90 litres on the open road now out of my 4.2 (unladen) - more than happy with that!

Bob
18th April 2011, 08:02 AM
i'm averaging about 470 per 90 litres on the open road now out of my 4.2 (unladen) - more than happy with that!

19.14 litres per hundred k's about the same as my 4.5

Bigrig
18th April 2011, 08:10 AM
19.14 litres per hundred k's about the same as my 4.5

How old is your engine?? Mine is nearly 20 years and has 280000 on the clock .... getting that from the 4.5 is bloody good mate.

Bob
18th April 2011, 08:13 AM
how old is your engine?? Mine is nearly 20 years and has 280000 on the clock .... Getting that from the 4.5 is bloody good mate.

mine is a 98 model and approx the same k's as yours

Sir Roofy
18th April 2011, 08:25 AM

yep sounds about the the same for mine 98 4.5

Bigrig
18th April 2011, 08:27 AM

Doing well then no doubt!

AussieRoadHammer
21st April 2011, 01:03 AM
I think I have to get my right boot serviced... and maybe lightened a bit :)

Bigrig
21st April 2011, 09:56 AM
I think I have to get my right boot serviced... and maybe lightened a bit :)

LOL!!! Must be a common problem!!!

fixer982
2nd May 2011, 10:29 AM
Hi, I recently had fuel consumption problems on my 1999 GU Petrol 4500 and found that the MAF sensor, in the housing coming off the air cleaner, was dirty. Cleaned it with a spray can of CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner ($20 from Repco and nothing else is recommended) and the Patrol runs much better. 2 screws and $20 for the spray is worth while. Also, with LPG, replace your leads and plugs regularly.

Just my 10 cents worth. My Patrol is a Ti and heavy with the usual crap, but on gas a full 85 litre (usable) tank gets around 280-300km round town and 340 or so on a trip. The petrol is a bit better but not more than 20%, but I gues that when the vehicle weighs close to 3 tonnes, that is what you expect.

Bigrig
2nd May 2011, 10:34 AM
Hi, I recently had fuel consumption problems on my 1999 GU Petrol 4500 and found that the MAF sensor, in the housing coming off the air cleaner, was dirty. Cleaned it with a spray can of CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner ($20 from Repco and nothing else is recommended) and the Patrol runs much better. 2 screws and $20 for the spray is worth while. Also, with LPG, replace your leads and plugs regularly.

Just my 10 cents worth. My Patrol is a Ti and heavy with the usual crap, but on gas a full 85 litre (usable) tank gets around 280-300km round town and 340 or so on a trip. The petrol is a bit better but not more than 20%, but I gues that when the vehicle weighs close to 3 tonnes, that is what you expect.

Good tip champion - welcome aboard. Can you jump over to the introductions section and let us know a bit about yourself and your rig - just a courtesy thing to get underway on the forum and let everyone know who you are - no harm done at all mate, and great to have you on the forum!!

RickSue
27th May 2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks everyone for their info. sorry I have not replied sooner - seem to be constantly job searching at the moment so have not had time or internet available to do the interesting things. We had the patrol serviced just before Easter so we could go away. we had been using Woolies fuel. Mechanics advised going to better fuel. went away for Easter up the Darling. Getting about 350 out of the gas & 380 on Petrol with roof rack & canoe on loaded for 5 days camping. Better than before. we are happier with that now but looks like we will have to sell the girl - unemployed now for 4 months & something will have to go to keep paying the mortgage :<
Once again thanks for the info.
Regards
Sue

Bob
27th May 2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks everyone for their info. sorry I have not replied sooner - seem to be constantly job searching at the moment so have not had time or internet available to do the interesting things. We had the patrol serviced just before Easter so we could go away. we had been using Woolies fuel. Mechanics advised going to better fuel. went away for Easter up the Darling. Getting about 350 out of the gas & 380 on Petrol with roof rack & canoe on loaded for 5 days camping. Better than before. we are happier with that now but looks like we will have to sell the girl - unemployed now for 4 months & something will have to go to keep paying the mortgage :<
Once again thanks for the info.
Regards
Sue

Thats a Bummer. Hope it improves and you dont have to sell the Beast. All the Best Bob

1peter
15th June 2011, 07:14 AM
You could sell the house, that way you would have plenty of money to go 4 wheel driving. Jokes aside, good luck with the job hunting.

falcon
18th December 2011, 12:16 PM
Is it worth doing an LPG conversion ?

Bigrig
18th December 2011, 03:04 PM
Is it worth doing an LPG conversion ?

Very individual thing mate - mine has LPG and I'm getting rid of it ... the availability of gas where I go, and the limited distance are just too much trouble ...

Weigh up what you do personally, how you drive, where you drive (predominantly), and what your return on investment would be (i.e. if you're saving $30 per week as an example by running gas, how long till it "pays itself off" as it were ... most people find they save about $15-20 per week at best running gas, and at a few thousand post rebate - do they still do rebates? - that equates to 100-150 weeks of driving to get the money 'back').

Very personal decision mate.

Sir Roofy
18th December 2011, 04:34 PM
Yes it is personal choice i ditched also ,its fine if your doing short runs close to home
but further out you need to really think about what your going to do

teleman
28th December 2011, 03:54 PM
I agree with Big Rig. It is a personal thing. My old man has a dual fuel XR8 Ute and the gas tank holds about 120liters. Its MASSIVE. But in turn it gets a much better range. So although we wernt looking a duel fuel Ute, it has paid off cause of the ability of a massive range.

Jamie
30th January 2012, 10:10 PM
Hi mate,
Reading your question is like quoting my own vehicle. I have had exactly the same experience as your saying. Petrol is terrible for both power and economy (shocking). I went to the Otways on the weekend and did a little test coming back from Apollo bay switching from gas to petrol and the power difference was incredible.
I'm booked in for a dyno with garage in Daylesford which is supposed to be a gas expert and come recommened from the ex TJG mechanic in Ballarat. Love the car but the issue is driving me crazy. Thus far no one in Ballarat has been able to identify and fix the problem, I'm hoping that will change.

What's the issue with the fuel pump? I've not heard that one before!

Jamie
30th January 2012, 10:19 PM
I'm having the same problem. New to patrols so excuse the ignorance but where can I find the MAF sensor and whats it look like. What am I looking for in terms of condition.
Do you have any photos?