PDA

View Full Version : Remove small rust marks

Rapson
23rd January 2011, 10:34 AM
Installed a snorkel last weekend with out to many dramas however despite having the vehicle covered in drop sheets I have now discovered a stack of tiny little rust spots all over the bonnet and roof from a small amount of grinding I did .

The plan now is to hit them with some wet and dry 1200 then 2000 and then cutting polish.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and done anything different or am I going down the right path.

Bigrig
23rd January 2011, 11:14 AM
Hey mate - not a auto painter by any stretch, but sounds right to me - I did the same for some bonnet and A pillar stone chips and they came up a treat - not even noticable ... I did get a duco guy to get me the paint though (didn't buy automotive paint through SuperCheap, AutoBarn or anyone like that) as I wanted the proper primer and paint to make sure it sort of 'filled' the chip also ...

Rapson
24th January 2011, 01:50 AM
Thanks for that Bigrig. Tried with the cutting compound first but wouldnt remove the tiny bits of metal from the grinding so gave it a quick rub with 2000 wet and dry and then the cutting compound and then some polish and my test patch came up like new!!! Now I just have to teach the kids how to do the rest of the car!!!

MQ MAD
24th January 2011, 03:23 PM
As long as the tiny metal flakes get rubbed out or removed from the paint it should be fine
If they have penetrated thru the paint,and created a small rustish spot just touch up the effectd area with a very small tipped brush same color of course
Check the paint for this first
If theres is any small paint repair needed do this before the rub back and polish

patch697
25th January 2011, 02:08 PM
Also try to stay away from any edges with the W&D & the cutters as these spots can cut right through the paint in the blink of an eye.