PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed Meet-up In the Middle - New Poll

Pages : [1] 2 3

MudRunnerTD
12th December 2013, 05:38 PM
Hey Guys,

Well 200 days to go before this Meetup, lots of folk have had their hand up at different times. How are we travelling now. I see a thread for who is Not going, thought we better have a look at who Is going.

Please vote in the new Poll

EDIT***

I call July 2014 at Dalhousie Springs and then over the Simpson Desert as our meetup.

There are some Public liability Issues if we call it the National Meetup of the Forum and this also rules AB out of the Organising group. This trip must be seen as a group of mates hooking up for a great trip together.

Epic.

I call Meet at Dalhousie Springs, Tuesday 1st July 2014

See you there

Thread provided by The Dogman!

http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/Deserts/Simpson_Desert_French_Line.aspx

Everyone please see this link for Safety Flag requirements.

http://www.anfwdc.asn.au/news.php?id=93

So @AB do we want to get some Forum Sand Flags made mate?? I'd buy one.

Giving the fuel usage some thought guys, we may decide to detour along a couple of the side tracks if the traffic is heavy and we want to mix it up a little. THere are a couple of Land Marks worth viewing. The link above indicates that Daulhousie to Birdsville is 438kms and as Dr Gary indicates the distance to Mt Dare should also be considered.

Mt Dare are recommending carrying 150lt of fuel and usage will be between 120 and 140lt for a diesel assuming a good safety margin. Plenty of folks quoting 95lt used though!. I will probably carry at least a jerry can on the roof which will then give me a total of 195lts which should be heaps.

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/46924/Simpson_Desert_Crossingfuel_consumption.aspx

Having a bit of a read around and most folks are averaging less than 19lt/100 and we all should do it easily. Taking a little extra each should allow us to do some diversions given we are in no hurry.

Looking forward to it.

Stropp
12th December 2013, 05:47 PM
pick me :)

Stropp
12th December 2013, 07:03 PM
gee 20 views and only 2 going ??

BigRAWesty
12th December 2013, 07:20 PM
gee 20 views and only 2 going ??

Bloody MC crappa doesn't do polls..

Winnie
12th December 2013, 07:24 PM
Ah fark. I clicked vote before I read all the options. I am keen on double crossing and the Flinders too.

AB
12th December 2013, 07:32 PM
Roger that, 100%

Great news too, looks like the misses is coming around and may be coming too gents, stoked!!!

Depending on how the new born is the family could be a goer!!!

Will need some help from other mums if they are keen to give Leah a rest for an hour or so here and there.

3am night feeds and all that...lol....Who wants to camp next to us???

MudRunnerTD
12th December 2013, 07:37 PM
Roger that, 100%

Great news too, looks like the misses is coming around and may be coming too gents, stoked!!!

Depending on how the new born is the family could be a goer!!!

Will need some help from other mums if they are keen to give Leah a rest for an hour or so here and there.

3am night feeds and all that...lol....Who wants to camp next to us???

They will be queuing up to look after the little one mate! Don't worry about that.

Maxhead
12th December 2013, 07:40 PM
Ah fark. I clicked vote before I read all the options. I am keen on double crossing and the Flinders too.

dipsh1t...LOL

We're in! Me, Fiona, Josh and Ben...can't wait

AB
12th December 2013, 07:59 PM

Crap...I think I did too...lol

Double crossing if alone maybe not if with family. Will confirm later on.

Stropp
12th December 2013, 08:10 PM
AB i will be looking at where you are camped and will be at the other end LOL very light sleeper! in saying that it will be great if the family come along :)

oncedisturbed
12th December 2013, 08:32 PM
At this stage still full steam ahead for us as well

AB
12th December 2013, 08:35 PM
I must admit gents, no bull worst year of my life has just passed and this meet up has kept me going for good things on the horizon so bring it on!!!

megatexture
12th December 2013, 08:46 PM
still tossing it up if we can do 2 big trips in one year.. time/holidays and funding will be short if we do.

BigRAWesty
12th December 2013, 08:52 PM
I am in.. Time off booked, car nearly finished..

Cant wait

MudRunnerTD
12th December 2013, 11:02 PM
Bump. 7 up.

BigRAWesty
13th December 2013, 06:19 AM
7 Is a nice group.. Sure far short of the 16 odd we originally thought..
But it'll still be worth it..

AB
13th December 2013, 06:42 AM
Bump it on the weekend too, loads of people won't have seen this thread yet.

threedogs
13th December 2013, 10:33 AM
would think at this stage yes, but shite happens

Sir Roofy
13th December 2013, 02:07 PM
Where in for sure just one crossing and flinders

katwoman two cars

Drewboyaus
13th December 2013, 05:56 PM
I'm still building the Q to do this. Will make a final call closer to the date but would say I'm 80%.

AB
13th December 2013, 07:03 PM
I just realised all of the mods I need to now do if the family are coming...holy crap!

Roof rack
Install aux tank (need to do anyway)
Remove draw system
Cargo barrier
Storage tubs now that I don't have drawers
Second baby seat
New tent (easy set up as my domes will kill me each day setting up)
Sleeping gear for kids as we are not taking camper
There will be many more things to add...lol

Winnie
13th December 2013, 07:24 PM
I've got to finish my drawers, long range tank, new radiator and I am just about ready!

Drewboyaus
13th December 2013, 07:36 PM
My main things to do are the rear upper control arm so I can fit the sub tank, fit the sub tank, sort out a roof rack and do something about an "easy pitch" type tent. I will need a new clutch before the trip too.....

AB
13th December 2013, 07:43 PM
definitely need an easy up tent, otherwise you end up like these muppets...LMAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV9x0w8fXLY

Winnie
13th December 2013, 07:49 PM
What do you even search on youtube........

AB
13th December 2013, 07:50 PM
What do you even search on youtube........

Tent fail...I knew about that vid before...lol

rottodiver
13th December 2013, 08:02 PM
Just take the camper....
I will be!!!!
Scotty

I just realised all of the mods I need to now do if the family are coming...holy crap!

Roof rack
Install aux tank (need to do anyway)
Remove draw system
Cargo barrier
Storage tubs now that I don't have drawers
Second baby seat
New tent (easy set up as my domes will kill me each day setting up)
Sleeping gear for kids as we are not taking camper
There will be many more things to add...lol

AB
13th December 2013, 08:32 PM
Just take the camper....
I will be!!!!
Scotty

Bloody tempting...lol

Sir Roofy
13th December 2013, 09:41 PM
bloody tempting...lol

in your case mate i think leah would like that

AB
13th December 2013, 09:48 PM
The camper has done it, I know it can do it but I just don't know about the extra drag on those dunes. I really don't know....I haven't been there since I was a kid.

Sir Roofy
13th December 2013, 09:52 PM
the camper has done it, i know it can do it but i just don't know about the extra drag on those dunes. I really don't know....i haven't been there since i was a kid.

know what your saying im leaving ours behind

TPC
13th December 2013, 09:56 PM
The camper has done it, I know it can do it but I just don't know about the extra drag on those dunes. I really don't know....I haven't been there since I was a kid.

Have done Simpson several times and would not take a camper, you would probably get it across with a few second and third tries over some dunes and assistance over the big ones but you would enjoy the trip more without it.
Anybody I know who has taken a camper across has wished they didn't.

AB
13th December 2013, 09:58 PM
Have done Simpson several times and would not take a camper, you would probably get it across with a few second and third tries over some dunes and assistance over the big ones but you would enjoy the trip more without it.
Anybody I know who has taken a camper across has wished they didn't.

Yeah I agree mate....Bloody hell it would be nice though...LMAO

Drewboyaus
13th December 2013, 10:17 PM
definitely need an easy up tent, otherwise you end up like these muppets...LMAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV9x0w8fXLY

Tears in my eyes.......fork that is funny......love the bloke doing the Thunderbirds impersonation with the tent pole......

rottodiver
13th December 2013, 10:19 PM
Oh man...................... I have been so determined to cross with the camper now I ain't sure.......... Maybe I will have to leave it at my dare and do a double crossing to pick it up again..... How long would the east to west crossing take?

Scotty

MudRunnerTD
13th December 2013, 10:27 PM
Oh man...................... I have been so determined to cross with the camper now I ain't sure.......... Maybe I will have to leave it at my dare and do a double crossing to pick it up again..... How long would the east to west crossing take?

Scotty

The East west is more difficult as your driving Up the steep side of the dunes. But if your in a hurry 2 to 3 days would do it comfortably.

To mix it up a but given there may well be only a small crew doing the double of heading south out of Birdsville and travelling the Rig Rd East West which has only recently been reopened after to 2010 floods. Will be a great run.

rottodiver
13th December 2013, 10:34 PM
Unfortunately for us we are coming from Perth so I would have to leave the trailer at mt dare then do the crossing then come back from east to west alone to retrieve it as we are away from home for 3 weeks which will be about 2 weeks after we completely the crossing( depending how long we take to cross)
Scotty

rottodiver
14th December 2013, 03:21 PM
I am still reading about taking the camper trailer or not...... It is hard when I read all the review, past trips etc on the camper trailer forum I am on and everyone says " they had no problems, use correct tyre pressures and easy" only one or 2 problems etc and then when you read 4wd forums and they tend to say, " too hard, ruins tracks etc"
Oh decisions decisions......
Scotty

BigRAWesty
14th December 2013, 03:58 PM
You could always do the west east crossing then do a round trip on a different route.

GU CAMPER
15th December 2013, 06:02 PM
I have voted for double crossing and flinders ranges

I am not sure exactly where I will be leaving from yet, as Im about to leave on a trip around Aust in the next few weeks, As I have no set plans or time frame for my trip, I not sure where I will be around June

When were people thinking of doing the Flinders and the double crossing, and where would you be leaving from

I most likely will head north to tour the top end after the meet up, so would like to do Flinders on the way to Dalhousie Springs, then do the west to east crossing followed by east to west by a different route

Cheers Andy

rottodiver
15th December 2013, 06:21 PM
I have voted for double crossing and flinders ranges

I am not sure exactly where I will be leaving from yet, as Im about to leave on a trip around Aust in the next few weeks, As I have no set plans or time frame for my trip, I not sure where I will be around June

When were people thinking of doing the Flinders and the double crossing, and where would you be leaving from

I most likely will head north to tour the top end after the meet up, so would like to do Flinders on the way to Dalhousie Springs, then do the west to east crossing followed by east to west by a different route

Cheers Andy

Cheers Andy

Wow... Wish I could be that flexible with times....
I am all up in the air now trying to decide on taking the camper trailer across ( have even been emailing mt dare for advise and they are very helpful) I think the double they are doing is east to west then west to East and then onto flinders, for Ruth and I it depends on the camper trailer, if I take the camper trailer across we will then do flinders and if we leave the camper at mt dare we will be doing the west east and then doing an east to west trip( probably on a different track) so we can retrieve the camper...
Been studying both ideas for a few days now.
Scotty

MudRunnerTD
15th December 2013, 07:34 PM
So the official meetup date for this is the 1st of July, 2014. At Dalhousie Springs. I will be travelling for a week before to get to Dalhousie. I will be travelling from Melbourne to Birdsville towing the camper. Parking the camper and heading South on Birdsville Track to pick up the Rig Road for an East West Crossing via the Rig Rd and Southern Simpson Dersert Park.

We will be crossing West East as the full group from 1st July. We will not be in a hurry to do the west East Crossing and hope even to have short days in the car or a rest day in the middle somewhere.

We will have a big dinner celebration at the Birdsville pub on completion of the French Line and conquering of the. Mighty Simpson desert and everyone getting to the Rop of Big Red.

I then intend to collect my Camper Trailer and spend the last week of my 3 week trip travelling the Flinders Ranges before heading home. I have a total of 3 weeks leave and have planned 7 days to Dalhousie the 2 weeks for the crossing, flinders and home.

Maxhead
15th December 2013, 07:46 PM
So the official meetup date for this is the 1st of July, 2014. At Dalhousie Springs. I will be travelling for a week before to get to Dalhousie. I will be travelling from Melbourne to Birdsville towing the camper. Parking the camper and heading South on Birdsville Track to pick up the Rig Road for an East West Crossing via the Rig Rd and Southern Simpson Dersert Park.

We will be crossing West East as the full group from 1st July. We will not be in a hurry to do the west East Crossing and hope even to have short days in the car or a rest day in the middle somewhere.

We will have a big dinner celebration at the Birdsville pub on completion of the French Line and conquering of the. Mighty Simpson desert and everyone getting to the Rop of Big Red.

I then intend to collect my Camper Trailer and spend the last week of my 3 week trip travelling the Flinders Ranges before heading home. I have a total of 3 weeks leave and have planned 7 days to Dalhousie the 2 weeks for the crossing, flinders and home.

Which day do you want to meetup at Birdsville?...I'm leaving my van there and picking it up after the crossing ...then continue with our holiday...happy days:)

MudRunnerTD
15th December 2013, 07:52 PM
I'll get back to you mate ;)

GU CAMPER
15th December 2013, 08:00 PM
I will watch this thread and keep an eye on what everyone's plans are

I will most likely be leaving from Victoria or South Australia.

If a few people are keen on doing an east west crossing first. Then the west east crossing with everyone. I'd be up for that. Not sure if I will do flinders after as I wanna head north to do the top end etc. might have to try and do flinders beforehand.

MudRunnerTD
15th December 2013, 08:12 PM
I will watch this thread and keep an eye on what everyone's plans are

I will most likely be leaving from Victoria or South Australia.

If a few people are keen on doing an east west crossing first. Then the west east crossing with everyone. I'd be up for that. Not sure if I will do flinders after as I wanna head north to do the top end etc. might have to try and do flinders beforehand.

Winnie has taken a bit of time off and was looking for some company heading North if he could find it. He is keen to do the flinders too but he will have another 2 weeks after they and may just head North for 3 weeks if that's a better offer.

MudRunnerTD
15th December 2013, 08:12 PM
We"d love for you to come to the flinders though Winnie. No doubt bud.

Winnie
16th December 2013, 12:34 AM
Nah I'm in on the Flinders for sure mate. My leave was shortened to 4 weeks and I might need that last week at home to come back to reality and recover.

BigRAWesty
19th December 2013, 11:19 PM
I am in.. Time off booked, car nearly finished..

Cant wait

As mentioned in the other thread I gotta stop bullshoiting myself..
Short a miracle I won't be attending guys.

Stropp
20th December 2013, 02:43 AM

Let's hope for a miracle then :)

Drewboyaus
20th December 2013, 07:39 PM
C'mon Westy. Life's way too short mate. You need to find a way to say yes rather than no. Find a way to make it happen.
Don't spend all your time aiming for Patrol perfection and then not be able to get out and enjoy it.
Dooooooo it!

Maxhead
20th December 2013, 07:42 PM

What the ferk is wrong with ya sofkok!!!

Stropp
24th December 2013, 01:32 AM
Well I may have a passenger, mate has just got kicked out of home and he has made bad decisions including buying a fj Tojo so he may be coming with me as a passenger.

oncedisturbed
24th December 2013, 07:22 AM
still looking good for us so far

the evil twin
24th December 2013, 06:10 PM
Hi Guys,

Mrs Evil passed away several months back and I havent been able to get life sorted for a while which is why I have been missing since July.

I know she was looking forward to it and would still want me to go but not 100% sure at the moment.

rottodiver
24th December 2013, 06:13 PM
That is terrible,
My condolences, hopefully thing will get a little easier come the new year.
Scotty

Hi Guys,

Mrs Evil passed away several months back and I havent been able to get life sorted for a while which is why I have been missing since July.

I know she was looking forward to it and would still want me to go but not 100% sure at the moment.

Stropp
24th December 2013, 07:00 PM
Hi Guys,

As i said previously mate she was a great lady and im glad i had the privilege to meet her and attend the funeral, if you do decide to come along there are 3 of us confirmed leaving friday 26th in the afternoon if you want to tag along with us mate let me know when you decide.

MudRunnerTD
2nd January 2014, 09:14 AM
Bumping this to the top. We are a bit light on for participants still. We still have 6 months to plan this. Anyone still thinking about it should just jump in I reckon.

A Nissan Patrol is a pretty tough beast. Service it, good tyres and let's get this done.

This will be a great trip regardless of who is going, I am looking forward to meeting a few members from around the country. The WA members will be a bonus for me. Can't wait guys.

AB
2nd January 2014, 09:32 AM
Looking good for my whole family coming along.

Rossco and Nicole are also coming.

MudRunnerTD
2nd January 2014, 10:10 AM
Hi Guys,

Hey ET, sorry I missed your post on Christmas Eve and only seeing it now mate. As I said in other threads my heart felt condolences to you. It would be great to finally meet you if you up for the Convoy heading over for this, it will be a great trip mate and it will be Better for your presence with us. A Bonus for me in fact.

I hope 2014 is a good year for you mate and truly hope to meet you in the a middle bud.

Sir Roofy
2nd January 2014, 11:41 AM
Darren mate i knew that yes look at the numbers
then and now

come on guys this is a once off for some of us
lets do it this is what this forum is about

BigRAWesty
2nd January 2014, 02:35 PM
Yes I am one of them unfortunately who has flipped. Still trying but it's not looking promising. Once it's closer ill know for sure and I guess so will many others.

Sir Roofy
2nd January 2014, 02:41 PM
Also have katwomen and hubby comming along and daughter emily

oncedisturbed
2nd January 2014, 05:43 PM
I am still on hold until workers comp is sorted out with my back

AB
8th January 2014, 09:16 PM
I bought the wild country tourier tent today.

Winnie, ill put it up this weekend and see how much room it has.

Last one in stock at Nunawading.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Winnie
8th January 2014, 09:46 PM
I bought the wild country tourier tent today.

Winnie, ill put it up this weekend and see how much room it has.

Last one in stock at Nunawading.

Put it up tomorrow! I'm going to buy it on Saturday hahaha

AB
8th January 2014, 09:53 PM
Put it up tomorrow! I'm going to buy it on Saturday hahaha

Ill see how I go..lol

I'm building the new kitchen for the church which is taking days!!!!

Winnie
8th January 2014, 10:40 PM
Ill see how I go..lol

I'm building the new kitchen for the church which is taking days!!!!

Yes yes that can wait. Hahaha.

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

rottodiver
2nd February 2014, 07:40 PM
So what is the general consensus here, are we wanting to leave Dalhousie springs on the 1st or second July and how many days are we looking to take to get to birdsville?

Scotty

AB
2nd February 2014, 08:35 PM
So what is the general consensus here, are we wanting to leave Dalhousie springs on the 1st or second July and how many days are we looking to take to get to birdsville?

Scotty

I'm pretty sure it was the 2nd so everyone can meet up, recoup and leave the following day.

Not sure on exact duration (Darren?) across but there's no rush in my books.

rottodiver
2nd February 2014, 08:38 PM
I'm pretty sure it was the 2nd so everyone can meet up, recoup and leave the following day.

Not sure on exact duration (Darren?) across but there's no rush in my books.

Definitely no rush, I am just trying to work out estimates of time etc, looks like I am going to bring the camper trailer, leave it at mt dare, then do a solo crossing east to west after our trip to pick up the trailer and come back to Perth through the north of Western Australia .....

Just trying to be semi organised lol...

Scotty

MudRunnerTD
2nd February 2014, 10:14 PM
Good on you Scotty, you will be an old hand by the time you have to do the solo and if you want to put some pace on could get it done pretty quick.

I was thinking 4 days across including either short days or a rest day in the middle somewhere if we have a good camp site depending how people are feeling. Being a smaller group maybe that rest day for socialising wont be as important as it would have been with 20 cars.

I will be in no hurry though and am not one to start the car at 7am and give everyone a hard time to be ready.

I am thinking 9am till 3pm driving each day with a lunch break at the worst.

Certainly happy to discuss this as a group though.

rottodiver
2nd February 2014, 11:40 PM
Good on you Scotty, you will be an old hand by the time you have to do the solo and if you want to put some pace on could get it done pretty quick.

I was thinking 4 days across including either short days or a rest day in the middle somewhere if we have a good camp site depending how people are feeling. Being a smaller group maybe that rest day for socialising wont be as important as it would have been with 20 cars.

I will be in no hurry though and am not one to start the car at 7am and give everyone a hard time to be ready.

I am thinking 9am till 3pm driving each day with a lunch break at the worst.

Certainly happy to discuss this as a group though.

I am easy as well... The problem with me at the moment is I am changing my mind ever 2 hours when I am thinking about this trip.. Camper trailer or no camper trailer( I have decided I ain't towing it across the desert at least) put the rooftop on or use a tent , come back and do north west or stay in SA and do flinders and come back across the nullabor.. I am worse than a bloody woman at the moment... No matter what we decide I can't wait!!!
That is what this all about isn't it!!
Scotty

MudRunnerTD
3rd February 2014, 10:51 PM

AB
3rd February 2014, 11:00 PM

Yeah mate lets do it. Do I have to do anything.....?...lol

I'll buy one but I really would love to handball the organising to someone else if that's possible before I have a melt down....lol

MudRunnerTD
3rd February 2014, 11:08 PM

@taslucas is this something you can help us with mate?

Clunk
3rd February 2014, 11:49 PM
@taslucas is this something you can help us with mate?

Can you help AB with the rooftop bags as well ;):D

AB
4th February 2014, 08:35 AM
I can supply artwork if need be too...

threedogs
4th February 2014, 10:30 AM
What were fuel requirements from memory about 270ltr for petrol
and 180ltr for diesel does that sound right one way

For a flag pole go to K-mart and buy a 13mm tent pole kit.
This is perfect for desert flags I used to make 3 piece flag from 13mm solid fibreglass
A small piece of 20x20x 1.2 rhs will allow the flag pole the slide in the RHS 150mm long, remember thinks don't fall up
Probable better fitting it to a roof rack rather than from the top of your bull bar, if anyone gets stuck I still have plenty of laser cut
material for bull bar or roof rack mount brackets

Gecko17
5th February 2014, 01:34 PM
If any of the WA boys need a sand flag, I have a spare you can borrow. Brand new mine-site sand flag with light on top. You just have to wire it in. PM me if you need it.

Stropp
5th February 2014, 01:43 PM
If any of the WA boys need a sand flag, I have a spare you can borrow. Brand new mine-site sand flag with light on top. You just have to wire it in. PM me if you need it.

mate why dont you use it and come with us??

threedogs
5th February 2014, 02:01 PM
I have fond memories of Wilpena and surrounding areas,
for as long as I can remember we were always travelling with Mum a Dad,
The Flinders was one of Dads favourite places
All going to plan I'm in this one big time, just need some co-drivers

Stropp
5th February 2014, 02:57 PM
yes as a kid i was born in quorn so used to do hawker, wilpena pond , blinman, leigh creek often with either just a drive or sports, there are some good spots around quorn as well.

rottodiver
21st February 2014, 12:13 AM
All a bit quiet here at the moment!!! Everyone working on the trolls or at work so they can save to do the trip..... Exciting !!!

AB
21st February 2014, 06:52 AM
All a bit quiet here at the moment!!! Everyone working on the trolls or at work so they can save to do the trip..... Exciting !!!

It's going to be a ripper trip!!!

The problem being is that we have been waiting too long...lol. The countdown timer is frustrating!!!

Sir Roofy
21st February 2014, 10:24 AM
it's going to be a ripper trip!!!

The problem being is that we have been waiting too long...lol. The countdown timer is frustrating!!!

Sent from my iphone using motorculture mobile app

lol we need that extra time to make sure that you are ready
with the excitement of a new bub you,l be a jibbering mess

Stropp
21st February 2014, 12:13 PM
so as was asked on the other thread are we getting NP flags made up?? i have a heavy duty flag with extendable pole for the trip but would be happy to chuck an NP flag on.

MudRunnerTD
21st February 2014, 02:54 PM
so as was asked on the other thread are we getting NP flags made up?? i have a heavy duty flag with extendable pole for the trip but would be happy to chuck an NP flag on.

Been asking around today. No joy yet

Stropp
21st February 2014, 03:03 PM
Been asking around today. No joy yet

what about Lucas??

Punderhead
21st February 2014, 09:30 PM
Man i am soon jealous of you guys. I'm still trying to swing time off work but it's just not looking promising :(

Cheers

Maxhead
3rd March 2014, 05:41 PM
Quick post to say I am out of this trip unfortunately boys and girls .

Other priorities have come up and I won't be able to afford going this year.

Some exciting info of the reason will follow soon in another thread.:thumbup:

AB
3rd March 2014, 07:07 PM
Quick post to say I am out of this trip unfortunately boys and girls .

Other priorities have come up and I won't be able to afford going this year.

Some exciting info of the reason will follow soon in another thread.:thumbup:

You dog...lol

rottodiver
3rd March 2014, 08:46 PM
Can the poll be reset so we can see what the actually number is now ?
Scotty

megatexture
3rd March 2014, 08:54 PM
I don't think so, might have to make a meet in the middle #3 thread lol.
Not a bad idea for threads like this though.

AB
3rd March 2014, 09:03 PM
I don't think so, might have to make a meet in the middle #3 thread lol.
Not a bad idea for threads like this though.

I think we actually can do that now..lol

Correction... I think I actually finally worked out how to remove a poll and start again.

Might be a good idea to start getting true numbers as its creeping up slowly!

megatexture
3rd March 2014, 09:12 PM
Jeez here comes another forum meltdown

Sir Roofy
3rd March 2014, 09:52 PM
NEW POLL NEEDED

ROOFY AND JANE
KATWOMAN STEVE AND EMILY 12

WERE GOING REGARDLESS BEEN PLANNING THIS TO LONG
TO MISS OUT NOW

WHO ELSE IS A DEFINITE ?COME ON GUYS and girls
LOOKING FOR NUMBERS

HOPE ALLS WELL KRIS MUST BE GOOD IF YOUR NOT COMMING

rottodiver
3rd March 2014, 10:04 PM
Ruth and I are definite... Haven't really started planning yet ( have talked about it a fair bit though and changed our minds about 20 times on the configuration we are using... Roof top tent has won..but both our holidays are approved...

So ready to roll... Bring it on..

Scotty

Sir Roofy
4th March 2014, 09:58 AM
Bumpty bump bump new poll needed

threedogs
4th March 2014, 10:08 AM
I wont be able to make the middle trip as I'm planning to go to the Tip in 2015
which I hope is still on??

Sir Roofy
4th March 2014, 08:48 PM
Ill bump this up again

AB
29th March 2014, 01:40 PM
Just found our old Simpson books from 87 and 92.

Loads more info in the books, should scan them and put them up here if anyone wants a read.

Winnie
29th March 2014, 01:59 PM
105 litres of fuel..... 50 bucks.

MudRunnerTD
29th March 2014, 02:23 PM
Crazy hey!!!

kelly
31st March 2014, 04:39 PM
Im still a maybe (+ 2 kids) now have camper trailer, just got to save enough fuel/ food and emergency money :) And hoping for some company from any other qld traveler.

the evil twin
31st March 2014, 06:07 PM
OK, looks like I'm a definite now... dunno how to change that dopey poll tho

Bloodyaussie
31st March 2014, 06:11 PM
OK, looks like I'm a definite now... dunno how to change that dopey poll tho

Got a hammer????

Sir Roofy
31st March 2014, 06:25 PM
ok, looks like i'm a definite now... Dunno how to change that dopey poll tho

ecellent looking forward to meeting you

Sir Roofy
2nd April 2014, 08:12 PM
Well guys and gals not long to go now less than 80 odd days left before we set off
im excited the boss is over the moon looking forward to this

how is everybody going ?starting to put the finishing touches to your rigs ?

Just hope mr hockey dosent put a dampner on this trip by his fuel tax grrrrrr

looking foreward to meeting up with the w.a boys and any new members of the forum
that can make it as well

cheers roofy

the evil twin
2nd April 2014, 08:21 PM
Got a hammer????

Yep... tried that, didn't work tho

I belted shyte out of the poll, then got a new monitor and when the display came up the poll was still the same

the evil twin
2nd April 2014, 08:28 PM
snip...

how is everybody going ?starting to put the finishing touches to your rigs ?

My truck is in getting a new Gearbox then when it gets back it has to get a front bar, steps, scrubs, winch, under tray tool boxes and front locker fitted.
After that gets done I'll get it back to finish the rewiring and refit the trim, fit the HF set and Antenna, driving lights, tray lights, reversing cam, brake controller and roof lights.

Then my new camper gets delivered 2nd week of June so I can start fitting that out for a departure 3rd week of June.

What could possibly go wrong eh...

Winnie
2nd April 2014, 08:36 PM
Almost collected all the parts for the aux tank install now so once I've got all that just gotta put it all in and then I'll be done!

AB
2nd April 2014, 08:41 PM
I'm getting there very slowly Roofy!!

Ripped out the drawer system and wiped up a quick half ass fridge and oven holder...lol...note: half ass!!!

Still need to put the aux tank in, full service, roof rack etc but ill be right.

the evil twin
2nd April 2014, 08:45 PM
Almost collected all the parts for the aux tank install now so once I've got all that just gotta put it all in and then I'll be done!

Wanna swap jobs...

Winnie
2nd April 2014, 08:47 PM
Wanna swap jobs...
No. Haha, oh I suppose i should service the car too that might be a good idea.

Sir Roofy
2nd April 2014, 10:00 PM
i'm getting there very slowly roofy!!

Ripped out the drawer system and wiped up a quick half ass fridge and oven holder...lol...note: Half ass!!!

Still need to put the aux tank in, full service, roof rack etc but ill be right.

that looks heavy mate hope you can lift it in

AB
2nd April 2014, 10:04 PM
that looks heavy mate hope you can lift it in

It's been in and out 100 times mate. Not bad, about 20kg.

Sir Roofy
3rd April 2014, 07:17 PM
it's been in and out 100 times mate. Not bad, about 20kg.

what about your oven is it high enough

LOL ARE YOU GOING TO HARD WIRE IT
OR JUST USE THE PLUG IT CAME WITH ?

AB
9th May 2014, 07:35 PM
what about your oven is it high enough

LOL ARE YOU GOING TO HARD WIRE IT
OR JUST USE THE PLUG IT CAME WITH ?

I have triple plugs in the rear Roofy and they work great.

2 b&s cable from the deep cycle so it can handle oven, fridge and charging something else when driving no sweat.

I just had a spare 4.7 seconds to think about food for the trip.

Has anyone got any plans for food?

Especially food on the second week of the trip?

Is everyone stocking their fridge for the entire trip using cryovac meat on the second and part third weeks and tin veg when fresh produce goes funky?

I'm also thinking of taking my brothers 60 litre waeco for a second fridge and run it on freeze for Barny bananas and ice cubes for drinks in the Simpson desert...lol

the evil twin
9th May 2014, 08:23 PM
Food?... is that the stuff you have after you run out of Beer?

When planning a 4WD trip it is the mark of a good leader to ensure at least one of the participants is young, tender and juicy just in case of emergencies.

MudRunnerTD
9th May 2014, 08:26 PM

When planning a 4WD trip it is the mark of a good leader to ensure at least one of the participants is young, tender and juicy just in case of emergencies.

Have you not met Winnie! Soft And juicy seasoned 21 years. He is also doubling up driving the Spare Parts Car ;)

Winnie
9th May 2014, 08:27 PM

oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-

AB
9th May 2014, 08:29 PM

Ive seen photos of you ET...You're my pick for a prime leg of western Australian beef when things go bad...

Sir Roofy
9th May 2014, 08:36 PM
i have triple plugs in the rear roofy and they work great.

2 b&s cable from the deep cycle so it can handle oven, fridge and charging something else when driving no sweat.

I just had a spare 4.7 seconds to think about food for the trip.

Has anyone got any plans for food?

Especially food on the second week of the trip?

Is everyone stocking their fridge for the entire trip using cryovac meat on the second and part third weeks and tin veg when fresh produce goes funky?

I'm also thinking of taking my brothers 60 litre waeco for a second fridge and run it on freeze for barny bananas and ice cubes for drinks in the simpson desert...lol

sounds good mate as for tucker you better talk to jane

the evil twin
9th May 2014, 08:37 PM
Ive seen photos of you ET...You're my pick for a prime leg of western Australian beef when things go bad...

You actually thought they were really pics of me did you?

the evil twin
9th May 2014, 08:44 PM
Have you not met Winnie! Soft And juicy seasoned 21 years. He is also doubling up driving the Spare Parts Car ;)

Is he the suspicious type?

Some of the young 'uns over here get nervous when we tell 'em "OK you can come.. but.. no strenuous exercise and consume only Garlic and Red Wine until we get back"

AB
9th May 2014, 08:47 PM

Some of the young 'uns over here get nervous when we tell 'em "OK you can come.. but.. no strenuous exercise and consume only Garlic and Red Wine until we get back"

He drinks vb so you would have to be on your last legs and severely desperate to sink your teeth into those buns...

MudRunnerTD
9th May 2014, 08:47 PM

The Bugger drinks that VB pi55. We'll get him on the Bourbon on the drive up just to marinade him a few days.

MudRunnerTD
9th May 2014, 08:49 PM
So doing some research tonight about the Desert Park Pass. It is available at Mt Dare and is $150 and each car must have one. It is also available online and wondering how many of you guys are going to buy it over the counter at Mt Darr and how many have purchase online??

MudRunnerTD
9th May 2014, 08:50 PM
The Desert Park Pass is Valid for 12 months

AB
9th May 2014, 08:52 PM
So doing some research tonight about the Desert Park Pass. It is available at Mt Dare and is $150 and each car must have one. It is also available online and wondering how many of you guys are going to buy it over the counter at Mt Darr and how many have purchase online??

Would good if we can all get them online and as you mentioned we don't need to line up incase there is flux with the event.

Sir Roofy
9th May 2014, 08:52 PM
so doing some research tonight about the desert park pass. It is available at mt dare and is $150 and each car must have one. It is also available online and wondering how many of you guys are going to buy it over the counter at mt darr and how many have purchase online??

we did ours on line be here before we leave 3 vehicles total
you can also get them in bayswater

the evil twin
9th May 2014, 08:55 PM

I got mine Online (same as the Permits I need for some of the side trips etc on the way over and back)... I just like to get all that sort of thing sorted early.

MudRunnerTD
9th May 2014, 08:56 PM
Guys need to start the final lists for this too.

So unfortunately life has spun me a curly and I am unable to do a Double Crossing now and unfortunately unable to do the. Flinders. I will be heading directly up to Dalhousie via Mt Dare for fuel and roll out with the group on the first.

I will be traveling with my Son Zach (8) in the GUIV and using the OzTent.

Short of another Poll I would be happy to just do a list. Please cut and paste the list and see who is still going.

MudRunner and Zach GUIV
AB in the GQ
Winnie in the GQ
Roofy and Jane in the. GU
ET in the GU

Sorry, please add your names, on the phone and trawling back through the thread is tedious. Also the Poll is certainly Not Accurate now.

Roll up folks. Who is coming to the Centre!

MudRunnerTD
9th May 2014, 09:00 PM

Yes it is saying online that the turn around time is 15 working days. I saw that in Bayswater damn it! Too far from me.

AB
9th May 2014, 09:08 PM

Where in Bayswater?

Sir Roofy
9th May 2014, 09:11 PM
where in bayswater?

out back 4wheel drive

MudRunnerTD
9th May 2014, 09:19 PM
Where in Bayswater?

Sir Roofy
9th May 2014, 09:38 PM
Hi Jane here. We also have Katwoman and Steve coming in two cars. Also AB, Kat and I are madly cooking meals and cryovacing them and freezing them. We are aiming to have enough food for the majority of the trip. We both have a great setup with fridges and freezers.Its a lot of preparation but will mean we can relax and have a few cans instead of having to cook tea etc. lol

AB
9th May 2014, 09:40 PM
Hi Jane here. We also have Katwoman and Steve coming in two cars. Also AB, Kat and I are madly cooking meals and cryovacing them and freezing them. We are aiming to have enough food for the majority of the trip. We both have a great setup with fridges and freezers.Its a lot of preparation but will mean we can relax and have a few cans instead of having to cook tea etc. lol

Thanks Jane, ill be travelling alone so feel free to add me to the cryo cooking fun train...lol...don't worry about the rest of these blokes, they're big boys and can look after themselves!

Sir Roofy
9th May 2014, 09:44 PM
Will you be bringing your rusty camp oven?. We could have a cook up in the Flinders Ranges.

AB
9th May 2014, 09:48 PM
Will you be bringing your rusty camp oven?. We could have a cook up in the Flinders Ranges.

I bought a new one... Lol

Every time I looked at it I could see roofys face telling me off!!!

Winnie
9th May 2014, 09:49 PM
Check this out Andy, I'll be getting some of these . Mate of mine took heaps to Fraser, said they were perfect size for him and his 4yr old daughter but I'm sure I could finish one for myself lol... Just cook some rice to go with them.

Darren, will you be travelling up with Andy Rossco and I or going solo with Zac?

AB
9th May 2014, 09:51 PM
Check this out Andy, I'll be getting some of these . Mate of mine took heaps to Fraser, said they were perfect size for him and his 4yr old daughter but I'm sure I could finish one for myself lol... Just cook some rice to go with them.

Ok....what is it...lol

Winnie
9th May 2014, 09:53 PM
Ok....what is it...lol

Ah crap... Lol
http://happycampergourmet.com.au/

MudRunnerTD
9th May 2014, 09:53 PM
Probably convoy up now mate

AB
9th May 2014, 09:55 PM
Ah crap... Lol
http://happycampergourmet.com.au/

Yeah I've tried them and they are tasty. Even the general supermarket ones arnt too bad either.

MudRunnerTD
9th May 2014, 09:57 PM
Iw ill take precooked rice in single meal serves. Heat them in their pack in the boiling water and then use the water for doing the dishes.

I will probably do a couple of precooked meals too but buy my meat as late as possible in SA on the way to get the longest date. This will dictate my Mealz a little but worked great last time.. Zach eats sausages..... Sausages.......sausages. He likes Sausages too.

Winnie
9th May 2014, 10:01 PM
How good would a Simpson desert cookup be?

the evil twin
9th May 2014, 10:08 PM
Iw ill take precooked rice in single meal serves. Heat them in their pack in the boiling water and then use the water for doing the dishes.

I will probably do a couple of precooked meals too but buy my meat as late as possible in SA on the way to get the longest date. This will dictate my Mealz a little but worked great last time.. Zach eats sausages..... Sausages.......sausages. He likes Sausages too.

Yeah... sausages... yeah... uuummm they got me into a lot of trouble once.
Beef sausages are made of beef, right?
Pork sausages are made of pork, right?
Well, a bunch of us were in this pub one night having Sausages and Mash as a counter tea and they were awesome so I asked whether the Sausages were Beef or Pork?
When the barmaid said "Neither, they're Italian" all hell broke loose

the evil twin
9th May 2014, 10:10 PM
How good would a Simpson desert cookup be?

Oh... cookup... I had to read that twice

AB
9th May 2014, 10:11 PM
Oh... cookup... I had to read that twice

What happens in the desert stays in the desert....lol

MudRunnerTD
9th May 2014, 10:12 PM
Everyone is to bring a bag of wood please to be used across the trip one at a time, it could be very difficult to get wood laying around. Depending on our numbers will determine how many bags and how big our fires are. We should not rely on the desert for Wood.

A Servo Bag or Redgum for the Win

AB
9th May 2014, 10:16 PM
Everyone is to bring a bag of wood please to be used across the trip one at a time, it could be very difficult to get wood laying around. Depending on our numbers will determine how many bags and how big our fires are. We should not rely on the desert for Wood.

A Servo Bag or Redgum for the Win

Also now that I'm going solo I have some added space.

I was thinking about bringing larger Redgum logs (only a few) to split up each night as well.

Still need everyone to bring some but I can probably bring a few nice pieces.

Winnie
9th May 2014, 10:33 PM
Ab are you tenting it? I'm at a loss if I should tent or swag. I am leaning towards tent and I need to buy a self inflating mattress.

Winnies-missus
9th May 2014, 11:01 PM

No u can't eat my Chris lol

the evil twin
9th May 2014, 11:03 PM
No u can't eat my Chris lol

Dang... we had the wood organised and everything...

AB
10th May 2014, 07:34 AM
Ab are you tenting it? I'm at a loss if I should tent or swag. I am leaning towards tent and I need to buy a self inflating mattress.

Yes mate.

I still have all of the families thermarests but I'm also keen to see what else is out there.

These are our old family ones we used back in the 80's.

Winnie
10th May 2014, 08:12 AM
I have a queen size self inflating mattress but other than being enormous, it stayed rolled up for 5 years and it is ruined.

AB
10th May 2014, 09:01 AM
Just picked a pass at outback 4wd.

$150 holy crap!!!

Sir Roofy
10th May 2014, 09:10 AM
ab are you tenting it? I'm at a loss if i should tent or swag. I am leaning towards tent and i need to buy a self inflating mattress.

youve got a strecher mate why buy something you dont need to

Sir Roofy
10th May 2014, 09:14 AM
just picked a pass at outback 4wd.

$150 holy crap!!!

and ? Thats nothing wait till you add up the fuel,apart from that its going to be
one hell of a trip and were excited its going to happen

TPC
10th May 2014, 09:32 AM
Just picked a pass at outback 4wd.

$150 holy crap!!!

It lasts for a year so now you have to plan a trip to Innamincka next year to get full use out of it.

Winnie
10th May 2014, 10:57 AM
youve got a strecher mate why buy something you dont need to

I need to buy one anyway for when Amy comes away with me.

threedogs
10th May 2014, 11:12 AM
swag it under your awning ,you'll struggle putting a tent up in the desert
Travel light ,travel right, get the tent when you get back

MudRunnerTD
10th May 2014, 11:27 AM
He has the tent John. Perfect 4 peg 2 pole tent. Just needs to organize something sleep on.

Winnie
10th May 2014, 11:30 AM
swag it under your awning ,you'll struggle putting a tent up in the desert
Travel light ,travel right, get the tent when you get back

Yep I've got a tent. It's easier to setup the tent than it is to roll out awning, setup stretcher, and then setup the swag.

Sir Roofy
10th May 2014, 11:36 AM
I need to buy one anyway for when Amy comes away with me.

double stretcher will fit

Winnie
10th May 2014, 11:44 AM
No way. Not going double stretcher lol

Sir Roofy
10th May 2014, 12:07 PM
No way. Not going double stretcher lol

Hi Winnie. Jane here. Roofy won't get a double stretcher OR double swag. Don't listen to him. Lol

Stropp
10th May 2014, 12:34 PM
im still trying to get there, work is so bloody busy unless i can get someone to work for me i wont get there, im hoping my part time uni student can come in while im away. own your own business yeah right too quiet and tax bills now plenty of work and cashflow but time poor uugghh

Sir Roofy
10th May 2014, 07:27 PM
im still trying to get there, work is so bloody busy unless i can get someone to work for me i wont get there, im hoping my part time uni student can come in while im away. own your own business yeah right too quiet and tax bills now plenty of work and cashflow but time poor uugghh

hope you make it mate

Sir Roofy
10th May 2014, 07:31 PM
Dont forget the new flag regs are 300x290 bright orange/red
just grab one from a safety work wear shop

AB
10th May 2014, 07:43 PM
Dont forget the new flag regs are 300x290 bright orange/red
just grab one from a safety work wear shop

I'm sure this has been mentioned but what's min height requirements for flags?

I can get 2m long thin plastic rods at work if that will be ok?

We use them to hold netting on frames for big indoor play centres....very strong!!!

MudRunnerTD
10th May 2014, 08:54 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned but what's min height requirements for flags?

I can get 2m long thin plastic rods at work if that will be ok?

We use them to hold netting on frames for big indoor play centres....very strong!!!

3m from ground level. so 2m of the bull bar should be sweet! ill have one mate!

AB
11th May 2014, 08:02 AM
I'll grab some next week...

Winnie
11th May 2014, 10:44 AM
I would like to see it? Might look better than telecomms conduit lol.

MudRunnerTD
11th May 2014, 12:58 PM
How well will it stand up vertically AB? If its going to whip around a lot then it will suck, it it has some vertical strength like say a fishing rod then happy days mate!!

Stropp
11th May 2014, 02:49 PM
whoopie, looks like i will make it, my mates wife is looking for work and she is a bit of a tomboy, loves fixing cars and shit so she is looking for work so she starts tomorrow to see how she feels and i hope its ok as i can leave with the knowledge the shop will be left in good hands with my offsider Sofia who has been here longer than me and if Nerrisa works out i will be laughing.

Sir Roofy
11th May 2014, 02:57 PM
3m from ground level. so 2m of the bull bar should be sweet! ill have one mate!

3.5 from the ground to top of flag but as I read else where they wont be standing at the start
with a tape measure

the evil twin
11th May 2014, 03:09 PM
If bull bar or front mounted - 3.5 metres from the ground

If roof mounted - 2 metres above the roof

... but the way it is worded is poo.
It reads that if you have a bull bar then that is where the flag has to go IE not on the roof and if you have no bull bar and use the alternative roof mount it has to go on the front of the rack.
That is NOT how everyone else on the planet control their safety flag specs and location

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/Find_a_Park/Browse_by_region/Flinders_Ranges_and_Outback/Simpson_Desert_Conservation_Park_and_Regional_Rese rve

Sir Roofy
11th May 2014, 03:16 PM
Was looking for this one thanks mate

Winnie
11th May 2014, 03:39 PM
I saw some maths somewhere that showed that 2m above the bullbar would be seen before a pole 2m above the roof rack. So bullbar is the easier and safer way to do it.

AB
11th May 2014, 05:20 PM
How well will it stand up vertically AB? If its going to whip around a lot then it will suck, it it has some vertical strength like say a fishing rod then happy days mate!!

That was my concern as well mate. Ill check them out this week and see if I can whip some employees.

Sir Roofy
11th May 2014, 06:17 PM
i saw some maths somewhere that showed that 2m above the bullbar would be seen before a pole 2m above the roof rack. So bullbar is the easier and safer way to do it.

think about it winnie get your tonka truck out and
play in the sand pit lol
yep you will see the nose first before the centre

Winnie
11th May 2014, 07:07 PM
I'm getting really really excited for this now. It's so close! Feels like last week I looked at the countdown and it said 80 days to go.

Winnie
11th May 2014, 07:11 PM
http://forms.bizgate.sa.gov.au/deh/parkspasses/desert.htm
is this 100% the pass I need?

the evil twin
11th May 2014, 07:17 PM
http://forms.bizgate.sa.gov.au/deh/parkspasses/desert.htm
is this 100% the pass I need?

Yes, well, at least I hope so or I done been ripped $150 by the croweaters before I even get there...

Winnie
11th May 2014, 07:19 PM
Yes, well, at least I hope so or I done been ripped $150 by the croweaters before I even get there...

Haha. I will order it tonight. I'm gonna order a box of those precooked meals I posted too, but I'll talk to my boss first and suss out which ones are good and which ones are crap lol.

Sir Roofy
11th May 2014, 08:19 PM
i'm getting really really excited for this now. It's so close! Feels like last week i looked at the countdown and it said 80 days to go.

your not the only one mate we,ve started getting things together and seeing what we need
or dont need

outback
12th May 2014, 02:35 AM
Don't complain else the infernal bureaucratic wisdom of the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources will jack the price up. Also give them a chance and they will charge you to have a sand flag and fine you for not having one..

outback
12th May 2014, 02:44 AM
Just remember you happy lot some of us can make it for many reasons..

My mother died last month and father has not really come to grips with it. So i am looking after him and things. That canned a Flinders trip and a Gammon Ranges one.

So make a good fun report and pictures so we all know it happened. Just want to know what I missed on..

Cooking Winnie on a spit could be an interesting picture..

Cheers and have fun..

Sir Roofy
12th May 2014, 01:31 PM
Wow that did,nt take long got
our passes today where off to see the desert

Winnie
12th May 2014, 01:33 PM
Wow that did,nt take long got
our passes today where off to see the desert

I ordered mine last night.
Is it just a piece of paper you carry in your vehicle?

Sir Roofy
12th May 2014, 02:05 PM
i ordered mine last night.
Is it just a piece of paper you carry in your vehicle?

no mate its a book as well full of handy hints and do,s and donts
and a paper pass with 3 maps of different sections of the trip

good maps to

Winnie
12th May 2014, 02:19 PM
That's good at least you get something for your money.

Sir Roofy
12th May 2014, 02:33 PM
That's good at least you get something for your money.

call in for a bo peep if you want

AB
14th May 2014, 02:33 PM
Tested out the plastic rods and they are perfect gents, slightly whippy but should be ok.

I grabbed a dozen if anyone wants one?

MudRunnerTD
14th May 2014, 02:55 PM
Dibbs.

Winnie
14th May 2014, 02:55 PM
I'll take one?

AB
14th May 2014, 04:45 PM
I'll take one?

10 bucks for you...

Winnie
14th May 2014, 04:53 PM
10 bucks for you...

No I'll swap you for a shiny control arm that I have here.

AB
14th May 2014, 06:45 PM
No I'll swap you for a shiny control arm that I have here.

Bugger ...lol

AB
14th May 2014, 06:46 PM
If we can sell all of these redback bags at the expo then my shout at birdsville pub!!!!!

the evil twin
14th May 2014, 06:59 PM
If we can sell all of these redback bags at the expo then my shout at birdsville pub!!!!!

Put 'em out there at a Dollar each and you should have no worries at all... I'll have a Schooner of Light thanks

Winnie
14th May 2014, 09:17 PM
Put 'em out there at a Dollar each and you should have no worries at all... I'll have a Schooner of Light thanks

I'll have a pint of VB thanks Andy!

rottodiver
17th May 2014, 02:58 PM
Well I thought I would be the last person to be saying this but as the time has got closer work has come to me and "requested" that I don't take holidays, things have got so busy so it looks like I won't be making it... Not happy but unfortunately I am paid to be flexible with work( hence I keep getting sent away for 2 or 3 days and don't get home for 3 or 4 weeks). Things could change and I am ready to go at a drop of the hat so if things are not as busy as they say a couple of days before We are meant to leave I will come.. But as of now it doesn't look good..:(

snicko
17th May 2014, 03:15 PM
Hi Guys

I have not posted on this meet up as I did not want to say I can go and then cant...............BUT we are trying our best so I though I had better say something now.

Have I got it right that there are 6 vehicles going?

the evil twin
17th May 2014, 04:25 PM
Hi Guys

I have not posted on this meet up as I did not want to say I can go and then cant...............BUT we are trying our best so I though I had better say something now.

Have I got it right that there are 6 vehicles going?

Dunno mate... I keep losing track but I'm def going.
No way I'm wasting the $150 for the Parks Pass

snicko
17th May 2014, 07:00 PM
Is any one going from SA?

Maxhead
17th May 2014, 07:27 PM
Hello Sneaky...

Mate you NEED to get onto this trip.full stop..lol Hope you're ready!

I wish I was going but circumstances are holding me back but there is a top bunch of people taking this trip on.
You will be more then welcome mate.

Guys, this girl and her hubby are the go with double locked very capable truck...lol

snicko
17th May 2014, 07:32 PM
Thanks (yeah still locked!! hahahaha)

We went on the VIC high country trip at the last minute!

Sorry to see you are not going. Would have been good to catch up with you again and meet your family.

Cant quite make out who actually is going and if anyone is going from SA.

Maxhead
17th May 2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks (yeah still locked!! hahahaha)

We went on the VIC high country trip at the last minute!

Sorry to see you are not going. Would have been good to catch up with you again and meet your family.

Cant quite make out who actually is going and if anyone is going from SA.

As far as I know its a few Vic and a couple of WA members going...I have not been following this thread a lot lately...sorry
Sneaky mate, get on this trip mate...you need to...lol

Hopefully some one will chime in soon mate, there are a few away on forum trips

MudRunnerTD
17th May 2014, 08:28 PM
Guys need to start the final lists for this too.

So unfortunately life has spun me a curly and I am unable to do a Double Crossing now and unfortunately unable to do the. Flinders. I will be heading directly up to Dalhousie via Mt Dare for fuel and roll out with the group on the first.

I will be traveling with my Son Zach (8) in the GUIV and using the OzTent.

Short of another Poll I would be happy to just do a list. Please cut and paste the list and see who is still going.

MudRunner and Zach GUIV
AB in the GQ
Winnie in the GQ
Roofy and Jane in the. GU
ET in the GU

Sorry, please add your names, on the phone and trawling back through the thread is tedious. Also the Poll is certainly Not Accurate now.

Roll up folks. Who is coming to the Centre!

Here you go Snicko. Add to that list Katwoan and another car at least and I simply have No Idea who else!!

snicko
17th May 2014, 08:49 PM
Thanks Mudrunner

looks like mostly VIC and one WA

So ET what are your travelling plans?

the evil twin
17th May 2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks Mudrunner

looks like mostly VIC and one WA

So ET what are your travelling plans?

Nothing too complicated... just get in the Truck, head East and stop when the trip meter reads 2,500 K's or so.
Along the way I want to have a sticky beak around Giles, Kata Juta and Uluru.
From Uluru I'll maybe swing down towards Coober Pedy and cut through the painted desert and up to Dalhousie or if not enough time I'll head for Dalhousie via the Centre of Aus and Finke.

After Dalhousie I haven't a clue at the moment... so many options I keep changing my mind

Sir Roofy
17th May 2014, 09:08 PM
Jump in snicko more the merrier

Winnie
19th May 2014, 08:37 PM
Parks pass arrived today, nice bit of light reading.
I ordered today a 60L water bladded to go in the rear footwell. Also ordered a box of those Happy Camper meals. Keeeeeen!

Sir Roofy
19th May 2014, 08:41 PM
Good one mate now for your tank and your ready
what did you find wrong with the fuel

AB
19th May 2014, 08:42 PM
Parks pass arrived today, nice bit of light reading.
I ordered today a 60L water bladded to go in the rear footwell. Also ordered a box of those Happy Camper meals. Keeeeeen!

Link for bladder?

Was thinking about that the other day!!

Winnie
19th May 2014, 08:46 PM
Good one mate now for your tank and your ready
what did you find wrong with the fuel

Nothing yet mate I have not had a chance, I will investigate during the week if I get a chance.

Winnie
19th May 2014, 08:47 PM
Here you go Andy,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321133088100?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

There was a cheaper one but this is Aussie made etc.

AB
19th May 2014, 08:53 PM
Here you go Andy,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321133088100?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This is one product you do not want to go cheap on...puncture...no good...lol

the evil twin
19th May 2014, 08:56 PM
Here you go Andy,

Do they hold Beer?

snicko
19th May 2014, 08:57 PM
Hey guys

Everyone has a to do list before they go and I have one on mine. I went into Bursons today enquiring about the struts that keep the bonnet up. (mine keep the bonnet closed very well!!)
At $100 each I was wondering if that's what they should cost ? I was told to buy good ones but at $100 ea they had better be good!

Stropp
19th May 2014, 09:11 PM
I got some from eBay about 44$ posted all good and been in for a year, other thing you can do is get them re gassed $22 pr the last pr I had done about 4 mths ago.

Winnie
19th May 2014, 09:18 PM
This is one product you do not want to go cheap on...puncture...no good...lol

My thoughts exactly, 900gsm should do the job haha.

the evil twin
19th May 2014, 10:01 PM
Hey, meant to add earlier... they might not be worth $150 but those Westprint maps in the back of Parks Booklet aren't too shabby are they.
Neither is the booklet for that matter.

Don't feel quite so bad about the price of the Pass now.

Our mob charge $88 (or $110 if you want a quarterly mag) but we have a poo poo more parkland to manage (or as some would have it MISmanage) as well

Winnie
19th May 2014, 10:25 PM
Yeah they look alright mate.
How much diesel is everyone planning on taking? I was hoping I would be fine with just the 95L and the 75L tanks because I don't really want to bring a jerry can.

the evil twin
19th May 2014, 10:48 PM
Yeah they look alright mate.
How much diesel is everyone planning on taking? I was hoping I would be fine with just the 95L and the 75L tanks because I don't really want to bring a jerry can.

I like to work on having 1,000 K's range from full fuel load. Having said that however I will usually top off at most opportunities.
For example Perth to Carnarvon is doable but wherever I stop for smoko/lunch (Dongara/Geraldton/Northhampton) I'll top off the tanks.
Yes, it means a few extra litres get used lugging the fuel but if I get to Carnarvon with better than 1/2 a tank instead of empty and there is some sort of fuel issue I can make Karratha

I have 145 and 85 (which I count as 200 useable)... but...
I still don't have any figures on my 6.5 Chev/4L85 auto with 35's fuel useage towing 1800 Kg.
I figure anything more than 20 I'll be pissed, 17's to 20 happy, less than 17 over the moon.

I don't pick up the new and improved "Fortress of Evil" until 2 weeks before I set off so it will have a fairly limited shakedown trip prior to leaving.

Purely because I don't have figures yet I "might" throw on 2 x 20 litre jerries but it's hardly worth the effort of lugging an extra $70 of fuel for 7,000 K's versus a... what... $110 splash so I think I'll most likely go with just the vehicle tankage.

Stropp
19th May 2014, 10:49 PM
I'm just filling both tanks, 145 and 70 at mt dare, at this stage I'm still coming just a mad scramble to get things finished prior to leaving, the only thing is I will probably only be carrying water in containers.

MudRunnerTD
20th May 2014, 12:07 AM
The desert crossing is less than 400kms. We all have plenty of fuel I think. I have 145. + 30 and am not concerned at all. I was probably going to take a jerry for just incase but if everyone has big tanks then There is no need.

I will be running on my 35" cooper ST tyres that are about 85% and have a second spare for the roof.

Winnie
20th May 2014, 07:30 AM
The desert crossing is less than 400kms. We all have plenty of fuel I think. I have 145. + 30 and am not concerned at all. I was probably going to take a jerry for just incase but if everyone has big tanks then There is no need.

I will be running on my 35" cooper ST tyres that are about 85% and have a second spare for the roof.

Yeah sweet, I am confident that I will be okay with my 170L of diesel then.

Winnie
20th May 2014, 07:49 AM
MudRunner and Zach GUIV
AB in the GQ
Winnie in the GQ
Roofy and Jane in the GU
ET in the GU
Katwoman and hubby in two cars
Rossco and Nicole, GQ
Stropp

GU CAMPER
20th May 2014, 08:24 AM
MudRunner and Zach GUIV
AB in the GQ
Winnie in the GQ
Roofy and Jane in the GU
ET in the GU
Rossco and Nicole, GQ
Stropp
GU Camper

MudRunnerTD
20th May 2014, 08:31 AM
Thats 10 cars folks! Great size group.

Winnie
20th May 2014, 08:35 AM
I don't pick up the new and improved "Fortress of Evil" until 2 weeks before I set off so it will have a fairly limited shakedown trip prior to leaving.

Call me ignorant, what are you having done?

AB
20th May 2014, 09:20 AM
Wow that's a good solid number of cars...getting excited now!!!

Stropp
20th May 2014, 05:07 PM
all booked in for the big service and auto sparky for wiring the bits and then just need the fabricator to make a couple of bits and im ready.

Winnie
20th May 2014, 05:52 PM
The water bladder I ordered yesterday arrived at my house today. How's that for service, I have never had anything delivered to my house overnight before.

Stropp
20th May 2014, 06:56 PM
im trying to get a stainless tank made as i have the double floor in the back with no rear passenger seats at all so i cant fit the bladder style :( price you pay i guess.

the evil twin
20th May 2014, 07:18 PM
Thats 10 cars folks! Great size group.

I may not do the full crossing with you guys.
Depends on, when I get there, where I go after there, what I'll do with my camper and a whole heap of other variables.
If I don't cross with you all, I might meet you at Birdsville, I might not...
BUT
I'll def be at Dalhousie short of Alien Abductions or... or... or... No, thats about it.

snicko
21st May 2014, 05:12 PM
Its official............WE ARE COMING!!!............YEAH!!!

Just found someone to look after our shop so we can go away.

I am so excited!!........so much to do!!............so excited!!.............!!!!!!!!!!

Stropp
21st May 2014, 05:50 PM

I am so excited!!........so much to do!!............so excited!!.............!!!!!!!!!!

thats good news, where do you live. I have been waiting on getting someone to work at my shop too and have finally got someone to cover for me so i can go too :)

AB
21st May 2014, 06:10 PM

Onya snicko!!!!

snicko
21st May 2014, 06:33 PM
MudRunner and Zach GUIV
AB in the GQ
Winnie in the GQ
Roofy and Jane in the GU
ET in the GU
Rossco and Nicole, GQ
Stropp
GU Camper
Snicko and hubby in GU

Had to put my name in the list!!

Winnie
21st May 2014, 06:44 PM
Woohoo, good onya Snicko! Great news mate!

snicko
21st May 2014, 07:03 PM
I know!!!! Has not sunk in yet as the guy only said yes about 2 hours ago!!!

Sir Roofy
21st May 2014, 08:19 PM
see I knew you would as I said before
see you in Dalhousie springs
bet nev cant wait either

snicko
21st May 2014, 09:36 PM
see I knew you would as I said before
see you in Dalhousie springs
bet nev cant wait either

Hey Roofy
We both are very excited.

Was hoping to catch up with you guys and Kat somewhere along the way and travel together