PDA

View Full Version : Can your vehicle be identified

Ben-e-boy
22nd January 2011, 06:35 PM
This warning is on the 4wd action forum.

On AusJeep, a forumite has reported a fellow member to the Qld Transport Dept., after reading about mods done to an XJ Cherokee in a "build up" thread.
I know that none of us would do this to a fellow member, but maybe we should all consider who else can read our posts.....

Nearly every members ride I have looked at on this forum the numbe plater is clearly ledgible
I know not all of you have mods that are illigal but its a good idea to blank out the plates.

I havnt been on this forum very long and you've made me feel welcome so I believe that you all should know this

Cheers

Benny

P.S Could one of the moderators please turn this to a sticky so this thread dosnt get funneled into the archives

Woof
22nd January 2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info Benny, we are always informing members to blank out their plates but some/a lot just forget, it is very hard now that the forum is so big to keep up with it.
Timbo did some research a while ago, here is his thread............can everyone please read it and blank out your plates before posting photos.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1810-Theory-behind-blocking-out-Number-Plates-in-Pics..&highlight=blank

Woof
22nd January 2011, 06:50 PM
Just made Sticky, thanks again Bennyhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

Dhuck
22nd January 2011, 08:06 PM
What about my truck. I can blank out the number plates but it is still very noticeable with the sign writing all over it as Tim has said in another thread.

AB
22nd January 2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up Benny!

It's a shame that someone would even go the effort in doing that though.

I really don't understand why?

But, yes....Block your plates out please guys!

YNOT
22nd January 2011, 08:21 PM
What about my truck. I can blank out the number plates but it is still very noticeable with the sign writing all over it as Tim has said in another thread.

Sign writing might make your Patrol very distinctive but it can't be traced through main roads records like number plates can.

Tony

Dhuck
22nd January 2011, 08:32 PM
To true Tony

Bigrig
23rd January 2011, 08:38 AM
Hi everyone, saw this very interesting thread an thought I'd post an intro. My name is Pedro, I live in Tiuana and all the photos that BigRig has posted were actually me as an alias ... All the photos of THAT patrol were downloaded from ones I sourced from the net and all were heavily photo shopped. The number plate is fictional, and the details of all modifications were just things I would do if I were lucky enough to even own a Nossin Petrol ...

There ... That should keep them off my tail !!! Lmfao ...

Seriously though - I'll talk to BigRig and advise him not to post the information regarding his intention to fit mini rockets behind the headlights and the ejector seat on the passenger side!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildgu6
23rd January 2011, 11:34 AM
Hi everyone, saw this very interesting thread an thought I'd post an intro. My name is Pedro, I live in Tiuana and all the photos that BigRig has posted were actually me as an alias ... All the photos of THAT patrol were downloaded from ones I sourced from the net and all were heavily photo shopped. The number plate is fictional, and the details of all modifications were just things I would do if I were lucky enough to even own a Nossin Petrol ...

Seriously though - I'll talk to BigRig and advise him not to post the information regarding his intention to fit mini rockets behind the headlights and the ejector seat on the passenger side!!!

No doubt about you Scotty, LMFAO every time. :eck05:

But seriously guys, it's common sense to cover your a***, and your plates......lol (little humour there)
Be aware, there is too many parasites out there just waiting for an opertunity to s**** some-one over.
You should be vigilant with all sorts of security, Home, Car, I-Net, Bank.

BE AWARE OUT THERE

Cheers Pete

Bigrig
23rd January 2011, 12:25 PM
No doubt about you Scotty, LMFAO every time. :eck05:

But seriously guys, it's common sense to cover your a***, and your plates......lol (little humour there)
Be aware, there is too many parasites out there just waiting for an opertunity to s**** some-one over.
You should be vigilant with all sorts of security, Home, Car, I-Net, Bank.

BE AWARE OUT THERE

Cheers Pete

I hear you mate - I'm just hopeless when it comes to details ... could be to my detriment one of these days!!

patch697
25th January 2011, 01:53 PM
Just a quick note to all members on this subject

The Admin team on this forum can not do this for you but we are more than happy to explain how you can do it yourself so if you need some help don't hesitate to ask.

Finly Owner
26th January 2011, 12:08 AM
Hmmmm a jealous forum member who can't afford such mods might be keen to eliminate those around him........LOL

MQ MAD
26th January 2011, 08:32 AM
To the OP,thanks for the heads up
Just the way the world is now unfortunately
Theres always some jealous people(add different words if you will)or some thats to lazy to do anything for themselves

With the advent of dobbin in a hoon laws ect around nowadays
Its a case of guilty till proven innocent
Best to protect our interests as much as possible (covering number plates and other recognisable effects)

We dont now what whack jobs are out there

G-ForceCrew
30th June 2011, 05:40 AM
Got that noted. Its a really good idea. Might stop some low life traking down were your ride is located and pinching it. One of my young apprentices had his car stolen two days ago from right outside my office and i was in the office. we have carmers everwhere and are linked to skygate sercurity as we work at an international airport. Armed police turned up as soon as it was reported.

Just shows but to take precausions with our stuff.

Kel

jurdy93
24th November 2011, 10:15 PM
thanx mate

Big Red
3rd March 2012, 04:48 PM
when we first started racing the ASCC the event was on TV ... creek to coast i think it was ... anyway, two weeks later 4 or 5 of the guys received letters to present their vehicles to the pits at Main Roads ... luckily i had made up some BIG RED numberplates and had them on the ute ... :devilred: :cool:

have to admit they looked pretty real and i mistakenly drove home on them a few times

Finly Owner
3rd March 2012, 09:46 PM
Hey to the video geeks, is there any way to edit plates in videos before posting?

Tim

Clunk
3rd March 2012, 10:29 PM
Hey to the video geeks, is there any way to edit plates in videos before posting?

Tim

There is mate but can't remember what the video editing software is called...... Quite Tim consuming too from what I recall.

taslucas
6th March 2012, 06:43 AM

Tim

I suppose you could make something to slip over the numberplate before you start filming.... I for one would never remember to do it though!! lol

Ben81C
20th March 2012, 09:23 PM
How do you blank out the plates?
Ben

Bigrig
20th March 2012, 09:33 PM
How do you blank out the plates?
Ben

For photos, you need to use Paint to blank them out and save them again. In video, no idea old mate ...

For files, right click and select 'Open With' and choose Paint. Use the eraser function in paint to remove plate details, and then simply save.

I'm the worst offender for not doing this - hopefully not to my downfall in the future - the reasons are real, I'm just hopeless!!!! lmao

megatexture
20th March 2012, 11:37 PM
i havent botherd alot as ive got vids on utube with same user name and i wouldnt have a clue how to cover that up.so wouldnt be hard to track down not that my rig is worth hunting down!

Bigrig
20th March 2012, 11:40 PM
i havent botherd alot as ive got vids on utube with same user name and i wouldnt have a clue how to cover that up.so wouldnt be hard to track down not that my rig is worth hunting down!

I'm with you boss ... pray it never gets flogged, but how much can you do in these days of all things Internet ... if they want it, they'll get it regardless I guess ...

Reminds me, need to stop leaving the windows down with the keys in the ignition!!!! lmao

At least I know they won't damage it getting into it!!! lol

Haydog Havoc
31st March 2012, 09:51 PM
Very interesting to know thank's.

myzathreeby
1st April 2012, 06:20 PM
I posted a video on You Tube recently, getting bogged on Bribie. (see trips and trecks in qld)
I thought about the rego plates, but There was no easy way to block them on a video.
Fortunately I have nothing to hide, but I will certainly bear it in mind and block any future pics.
Cheers, John

04OFF
1st April 2012, 08:01 PM
Rather than repeat myself ..........

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1810-Theory-behind-blocking-out-Number-Plates-in-Pics..&highlight=blocking+number+plates

kowalski
27th April 2012, 02:42 AM
hey there,
blanking out my plates isn't necessary, since they already expired after importing my gq from germany :D
when exporting from there you'll get plates which only last for 5 days. too long for leaving their country, too short to even think about clearing your papers within time after coming home..

Bazhemps
29th May 2012, 11:14 AM
Hi All,
Just out of interest when I had my WB Statesman (upgraded to 2001 GU Patrol now) it was registered with Star Cars. It was used in a couple of telemovies, before filming the original plates were covered with dummies. I asked why this was done and they advised me because they had not covered them in the past a couple of classic cars were tracked down through the roads authority using rego numbers and stolen.
Baz

Fred Schenck
18th June 2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the tip, i will blank out number plates from now on. I remove a pic remove plate and put it back

Paul C
20th June 2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Will make sure that all phots posted anywhere of my pride and joy are unidentifiable.

Robo
2nd September 2012, 08:48 PM

what"s wrong with mini rockets behind the headlights and the ejector seat on the passenger side I ask !!.
Kill Joy's lol

oilpond
14th October 2012, 12:41 AM
[QUOTE=AB;32277]Thanks for the heads up Benny!

It's a shame that someone would even go the effort in doing that though.

I really don't understand why?

Because they are Boreing souless people is why!

threedogs
6th February 2013, 08:04 AM
Cut a piece of thick cardboard to number plate size or piece of sheet metal
paint it white and put your favourite sticker on it, mainly for photo shoots
and leave it in car and clip on when required just remember to remove.

Squalo
6th February 2013, 09:37 AM
Another reason to be wary of the online pics of your vehicle is 'reverse image search' and if your vehicle is distinctive then blanking the plates may make no difference whatsoever.

All someone needs to do is to take a pic or two of your vehicle (maybe in traffic, or when you've parked it somewhere), then upload the pics with a reverse image search engine. If there are other pics anywhere online that are a reasonable match to your vehicle - regardless of blanked plates - they can then go to the location of those pics (eg. forum) and learn all about you from what you have posted online.

Something to think about... reverse image search is going to cause people a lot of grief in years to come, and not just with regard to vehicles.

Alitis007
6th February 2013, 11:03 AM
Or get magnets with the forums website on it, there should be a printer around here that should know what it worth.

Just remember me when you make your millions !! Lol

taslucas
6th February 2013, 11:26 AM
Or get magnets with the forums website on it, there should be a printer around here that should know what it worth.

Just remember me when you make your millions !! Lol

Number plates are made of ally:-(

FanTapstic!

Alitis007
6th February 2013, 11:31 AM
Number plates are made of ally:-(

FanTapstic!

The screws ain't and you can glue the opposite polarity magnet on the back of the plate yeh!!???

taslucas
6th February 2013, 12:13 PM
Don't reckon it would hold just off the screws and doing the whole reverse polarity thing seems like a bit of work to me but I'm lazy lol. Don't worry, I'm also thinking of some options:-)

FanTapstic!

threedogs
6th February 2013, 12:59 PM
If they want your 4x4 they'll get it just make sure you give them no reason to steal it in the first place
. Tip one clean inside your windscreen where phone or navman or Dvr have been, Thieves look for the circle
left by such devices . leave nothing on your seats. even flashing LED would stop them IMO

Alitis007
6th February 2013, 01:52 PM
If they want your 4x4 they'll get it just make sure you give them no reason to steal it in the first place
. Tip one clean inside your windscreen where phone or navman or Dvr have been, Thieves look for the circle
left by such devices . leave nothing on your seats. even flashing LED would stop them IMO

I'm thinking more on the line of when every1 meets up we all put the magnet on the rego with Nissanpatrol.com.au thing on it n i rekon it would look a treat

threedogs
6th February 2013, 03:21 PM
Yeah use that magnetic sheet not very Pricey ,just needs a sticker on it.

350 x 100 should cover no. plate

DX grunt
6th February 2013, 03:28 PM
Don't reckon it would hold just off the screws and doing the whole reverse polarity thing seems like a bit of work to me but I'm lazy lol. Don't worry, I'm also thinking of some options:-)

FanTapstic!

If it's just for pics, use Blue Tac, or in Clunk's case, plastiscene (?) :wink:

mudski
14th February 2013, 07:59 PM
I'll just blame 4WD TV if anything happens to my Troll. They should have blank out my plate when they aired the meetup.

threedogs
14th February 2013, 08:02 PM
I have GPS tracking, Can even listen to theives as they drive away lol bwaaaah

tezzza88
12th August 2013, 12:25 AM
its pretty sad that some one report a fellow member because what they say on the forums, its just really petty to me. but its still a good idea to cover the plates but if some one want steel your car its going to happen but there days what can they do with it, take your car for a joyride.

JR1
4th March 2014, 11:50 AM
Damn - just came across this thread. Guess I shouldn't be so nieve as to think having my plates showing wouldn't be an issue.
Thanks for the conversation - very informative and all noted.

JR1
5th March 2014, 12:02 PM
Another job to add to the list this weekend!

JR1
5th March 2014, 12:08 PM
To the OP,thanks for the heads up
Just the way the world is now unfortunately
Theres always some jealous people(add different words if you will)or some thats to lazy to do anything for themselves

With the advent of dobbin in a hoon laws ect around nowadays
Its a case of guilty till proven innocent
Best to protect our interests as much as possible (covering number plates and other recognisable effects)

We dont now what whack jobs are out there

Agreed. A neighbour always used to park his fully kitted Patrol in his driveway. Came out one Sunday morning to find the bullbar with winch and roofrack had been removed during the night!

Some will do anything if they really want it.

Lightspeed
15th May 2014, 09:11 AM
What about your profile ? If you put your full name anywhere on your profile with area you live and post pictures of your rigg the transport department could find out your address through that info.

BigRAWesty
15th May 2014, 09:51 AM
What about your profile ? If you put your full name anywhere on your profile with area you live and post pictures of your rigg the transport department could find out your address through that info.

Tbh I think you have to be very unlucky there.
Like, piano falling from a jumbo cargo door onto your head unlucky...

MEGOMONSTER
15th May 2014, 09:57 AM
Tbh I think you have to be very unlucky there. Like, piano falling from a jumbo cargo door onto your head unlucky...

They can still be conniving karnts.

threedogs
15th May 2014, 11:18 AM
They seem to target the GQ more than the GU down here ,
but luckily non have been stolen for a while now touch wood.

Winnie
15th May 2014, 11:52 AM
Tbh I think you have to be very unlucky there.
Like, piano falling from a jumbo cargo door onto your head unlucky...

I dunno, if someone sees your car and thinks, I like that, I will have that. They will find you and get it. We're not talking about some knob seeing your car and trying to pinch it we're talking about professionals.
But still yeah you'd have to be really unlucky.

taslucas
15th May 2014, 12:00 PM
I keep mine in poor condition to deter theft

growler2058
15th May 2014, 12:17 PM

Same best deterent is a vehicle that loks line you'd catch something if ya sat in it ;)

04OFF
15th May 2014, 12:24 PM

Bwahahah !

Fake dog turd on the drivers seat should work well then growler ?

Lightspeed
15th May 2014, 02:48 PM
Heres my deterent, he does a bloody good job. LOL 44556

Aeon
17th May 2014, 08:19 PM
Heres my deterent, he does a bloody good job. LOL 44556

That should work, sadly i only got my cutey maltese and a rat terrier. .. . . Should get a pitbull or something

Darryl Weber
25th May 2014, 09:52 PM
Rottweillers are a pretty good alarm/immobiliser system too. I'll give them about 10 or so minutes, then slip out to see what all the commotion is about. Bwah ha ha!!!!

GRY60
23rd July 2014, 06:33 AM
could someone explain me how to upload a Photo because i want to share my ride with you it is an nearly stock 1990 Nissan Patrol GR Y60has 223500 km on it and runs perfrectly fine

my third 256
23rd July 2014, 08:30 AM
of this link a little way down the page
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?666-How-To-Ask-a-Question-or-How-To-Upload-Photos

Bogan_dano
2nd September 2014, 08:49 PM
That's sucks people would spend there time searching through all this to find cars not legal

Bloodyaussie
2nd September 2014, 08:51 PM
Hows the manual hunting going...

Winnie
3rd September 2014, 07:11 AM
Hows the manual hunting going...

Ease up cobber. What's he doing wrong?

Sharky1
19th October 2014, 12:58 AM
I dunno if it's been said yet but just to set the record straight.........

Nearly ANY modification requires permits, at least is most states anyway. Many mods require engineers certificates & those are clearly mentioned on DPI (transport) websites. There are changes you can make without permits but they need DPI notification such as paint colour, engine number due to std eng exchange, etc. Few mods like window tint & most electrical & lighting mods etc along with std parts replacement don't require anything but any suspension mod, tyre/wheel mod incl mags, eng mods, turbo mods, exhaust mods, fuel sys mods, body mods, driveline mods, brake mods etc ALL need permits.

With many mods, the cops don't know any better & some mods can be done without hassle if they were fitted from factory on that model ie GU bonnet scoops, factory mags etc.

A 2" lift may be fitted without engineer certificates in most states & 2 sizes over in tyres is usually legal ie 33's are usually allowed on vehicles that came out with 31's. A vehicle with a lift exceeding 2" requires engineers certs & a lane change (slalom) test performed by a pro driver. It's a costly & difficult procedure.

I've spent yrs fighting the law about these things & have been over the pits about 30 times with all types of vehicles. It sucks that someone would dob in a fellow enthusiast but it doesn't surprise me it's a jeep driver. I'm new here so I just deleted what I was about to type about my experiences with those folk but you can guess.

Most of us have seen & read about MANY idiots who have no clue & just fit what they think is a cool lift kit & it's just downright dangerous & stupid & it's clowns like this that the rest of us who know what we're doing can thank for uncle sam making permits compulsory. For eg I know of 2 young fools with 9" & 10" lifts & these cars are back yard jobs. I know of another one with a 5" lift on std panhard rods which stick the wheels out ridiculously to the left side. THESE are the guys who should be reported. Do gooders who just dob ppl in need a good slap in my opinion coz they're just jealous.

I bet everyone on this forum has some form of illegal mod on their car. In fact 90% of cars on the road have some sort of illegal mod ie a mod that has no permit. Based on this is it really unsafe to mod your car? In most cases, no! It's all common sense. Drive in a manner that attracts attention & you'll get it. Drive sensibly & the cops usually leave you alone. Fellow forumites on the other hand should mind their own business. Admire it or rack off.

pasbogdan
22nd December 2014, 10:04 AM
I think FB is more"dangerous" than this...:)

04OFF
22nd December 2014, 06:52 PM
Heaps of people on the forum have stock vehicles, most of them would be 100% legal, don't break the law and most of the time you will be safe, although having a modified vehicle that complies to regulations is not a 100% guarantee you wont be defected.

But look, If you fit a 5 inch lift or 35s etc, and drive it around (or post pics on the net) then you are asking to get busted, pretty simple really, lets not sugar coat it, you know it is breaking the law, so don't cry if you get done, its your own fault, even if someone else alerted the authorities to your illegal vehicle mods, while id never dob someone in myself, I honestly don't feel sorry for anyone in that situation, as I know they made a clear choice to knowingly break the law, meanwhile, the rest of us law abiding citizens are stuck with a 2" lift , 33s and front a rear sway bars :clownredpuff:

Darren M
22nd December 2014, 07:07 PM
Noted.....

hi-psi-patrol
22nd March 2016, 11:00 PM
Interesting read.

mudnut
22nd March 2016, 11:09 PM
Keep goin' laddie, only nine posts to go!!!

Nessie
11th October 2016, 11:30 AM
Great tip, never thought about that before, i have never bothered blanking my rego on any photos

DX grunt
20th September 2017, 09:33 AM
Heaps of people on the forum have stock vehicles, most of them would be 100% legal, don't break the law and most of the time you will be safe, although having a modified vehicle that complies to regulations is not a 100% guarantee you wont be defected.

But look, If you fit a 5 inch lift or 35s etc, and drive it around (or post pics on the net) then you are asking to get busted, pretty simple really, lets not sugar coat it, you know it is breaking the law, so don't cry if you get done, its your own fault, even if someone else alerted the authorities to your illegal vehicle mods, while id never dob someone in myself, I honestly don't feel sorry for anyone in that situation, as I know they made a clear choice to knowingly break the law, meanwhile, the rest of us law abiding citizens are stuck with a 2" lift , 33s and front a rear sway bars :clownredpuff:

Thank you.

Life is a lot clearer, now. lol.

Take care and stay legal out there.

Rossco