PDA

View Full Version : Is This A Good Price?

lostgirl
22nd January 2011, 07:57 AM
I have purchased from the wreckers a manual gearbox for my Nissan Patrol. It is a 5 speed manual with transfer case delivered to the mechanics. $650 . The mechanic said it would cost for him to install $750 with all fluids and extras.

Seeing as to fix my gearbox it was going to cost me $2000-3000 due to unknown problem I think the above is a pretty good deal.

The people I brought the car off ( Is there a section to name car yards you shouldn't buy from? lol) yesterday tried to rip me off again. I rang yesterday about the issue and although I brought the car 6months ago he said Ill take care of it. MMMM I should have known he was lying. Anyway being the trusting idiot that I am I drove my car the hour to go and see him and take my car. Well get there and surpise he isn't there but his workshop manager is. I list issues to him and wait for their verdict. At the same time I had a look at a Toyota Lucida that he was trying to sell to me, I asked on the phone is there any rust. No was the answer.lol Should have known. IT looked great. Till you open the boot and it was full of rust and there were other issues with engine etc that he failed to point out. Well that was it. I just wanted my car back and wanted to go home. Well I went and said I just want my car please just give it to me. Than the workshop manager asked me why. Well sorry but I just lost it. I said for one the owner is a w@#$er and is meant to f@#$ng be here and I am so flippin angry. I dont trust that your company will ever tell the truth and you have purposely lied to me. I am beyond angry. Than I said I can't wait to find a blog or I will create one on your company so everyone can hear how you rip off women and lie. Well all of a sudden owner is on his way and all will be taken care of. Get this he arrives tells me that if I ever abuse his staff again I will be booted off premises and not taken care of. I said looked it was you abused and called a wanker not your staff. And look give me my keys I dont trust that you will do the work that you said anyways. Well he than went on about how he has taken care of me I said like hell you have. He than went out into the workshop and came back 15 minutes later saying he had taken the gearbox off and had a look inside.lol and said my 5th gear was thrashed and that I would need to pay him $2200 for parts only he would cover the labour. Now call me stupid but it isn't possible to pull the gearbox off and have a look inside and than put it back on in 15 minutes. LMAO I have read the workshop manual and it is a big job. Also I have looked for secondhand gearboxes and they are less than that. Oh and as I was leaving he tried to switch the car for a Holden Jackaroo 97 WORTH HALF OF MINE tell me it was better value. Than he said that if I wanted to get rid of it he could throw me $4000 for it. It is worth more than that and than I knew it was worth fixing.

Anyway I have learned a big lesson DON'T TRUST the car sales man and I have found a really great mechanic that specializes in 4x4 and wanted me to get the best deal:) Also I can't believe that their are men out their today that think they can rip off women.

YNOT
22nd January 2011, 08:12 AM
If you had more time you might be able to pick up a gearbox privately for closer to $400, but $650 is about average for a wreckers. They have to pay someone to pull the gearbox out.

Tony

MQ MAD
22nd January 2011, 10:00 AM
BE very carefull naming and shaming businessess !!!
You could bite of my than you can chew

There are shonky yards everywhere
Dont think for a sec they dont shaft blokes either

15 mins to remove a gearbox in any car let alone a 4x4 ,
I gotta see that !!!

patch697
22nd January 2011, 10:31 AM
Sorry to hear that Lostgirl. You're right there are some very dodgy car salespeople around but there always has been. Sounds like you can stick up for yourself though which is good.

^^^^............X2

wildgu6
22nd January 2011, 12:56 PM
Some story there girlfriend.
Too many w****** out there trying to make a quick $$.
As Plas said, Good to see you can stand up too these w******.
Glad you found a great mechanic willing to do right by you. And as for the G/Box out in 15....LMFAO toooo.
Price you now have, I think is reasonable.

You Go Girl.....:first: :sterb003:

Cheers Pete

molongmick
22nd January 2011, 02:38 PM
Some story there girlfriend.
Too many w****** out there trying to make a quick $$.
As Plas said, Good to see you can stand up too these w******.
Glad you found a great mechanic willing to do right by you. And as for the G/Box out in 15....LMFAO toooo.
Price you now have, I think is reasonable.

You Go Girl.....:first: :sterb003:

Cheers Pete

x2, I too have had a fair share of issues with 2nd hand acr dealers, though I managed to force them to repair the fault under the 2nd hand warrenty, they were not impressed, it cost them several thousand $ to fix. You need to stand up for yourself.

Woof
22nd January 2011, 05:52 PM
x3, well done sticking it to the owner, been there myself, sometimes it is necessary just to get someone to listen.

MQ MAD
22nd January 2011, 07:20 PM
Just on these "Honest" car yards

Dont EVER beleive the Road Worthy Certificates they give with the cars
Or Even beleive their speel

Always get a 2nd hand car independantly checked
There are places in every state that can do this
A few hundred $$$ is minimal for piece of mind

lostgirl
22nd January 2011, 09:22 PM
Just on these "Honest" car yards

Dont EVER beleive the Road Worthy Certificates they give with the cars
Or Even beleive their speel

Always get a 2nd hand car independantly checked
There are places in every state that can do this
A few hundred $$$ is minimal for piece of mind

Ah yes. I have learned that the hard way this time. Wish there was some way of ruining his business.lol But hey they are all the same.

MQ MAD
23rd January 2011, 10:18 AM
Word of mouth is a great way of slowing his business
Tell everyone you know

YNOT
23rd January 2011, 10:39 AM
Word of mouth is a great way of slowing his business
Tell everyone you know

Well said, but no naming and shaming on forums like this as it opens the forum up to litigation.

Note; I acknowledge that Lostgirl has not named and shamed in her post.

Tony

Bigrig
23rd January 2011, 11:12 AM
It's amazing how the price tends to fluctuate depending on who's doing the asking, whether it's on yard warranty, and/or after market warranty ... had the same when I bought Tank. 3 days after picking it up, the transfer case went kaputzky (russian for stuffed!! lol). Took it back to the bloke I bought it off, and no worries mate - I had an after market warranty I had purchased which allows up to $2000 cover for that and that amount of money "should cover it". Went down the path of saying I wasn't going to use the warranty as it was still under his yards mandatory (QLD - not sure about elsewhere) 30 day warranty period and I'd be claiming it against him - all of a sudden, I have a fully reconditioned transfer case, installed and running like a treat for about $1300.00 ... amazing!! .... I'm sure there is a decent 2nd hand car dealer out there somewhere, but I'm yet to meet one ...

lostgirl
24th January 2011, 08:47 PM
Well said, but no naming and shaming on forums like this as it opens the forum up to litigation.

Note; I acknowledge that Lostgirl has not named and shamed in her post.

Tony

Just to clarify. Although I would love to name and shame them there is no use and I am not that kind of person. :) I just will tell others I know not to go there.

patch697
25th January 2011, 01:35 PM
Just to clarify. Although I would love to name and shame them there is no use and I am not that kind of person. :) I just will tell others I know not to go there.

And rightly so by what I've read, your friends will appreciate it too im sure.

macca
25th January 2011, 09:05 PM
Lostgirl, why not try a bit of leverage, note your dealings, dates, conversations, responses etc also costs then prepare it all for fair trading, give him a copy and give him a reasonable time , 5 days?, to respond.
If you are not satisfied then submit it all to fair trading and let it take its course, you wont know unless you give it a go.
Admire your ticker and would be great to hear you get a better deal.
2 - 4 hours might not be wasted if you get compensated what you are due.
Macca

Finly Owner
26th January 2011, 12:51 AM
Lostgirl, I believe I answered a thread of yours a while ago about talking like you know about cars/motors and such, and most mechanics like it, well you just shocked the hell out that mongrel. You go girl and why not try Maccas suggestion. You have nothing to loose.

Tim

MQ MAD
26th January 2011, 09:51 AM
Good point tim,

But there are alot of chauvanistic males out there,that think females are the lesser breed,no matter what they know