PDA

View Full Version : Advice close to Northern suburbs (~1 hr)

santoitaliano
6th December 2013, 01:07 AM
Hi all,

want to head out saturday with a couple of mates. mild mods fraction of lift, at's.

was thinking of trying mt.disssapointment, but it looks as if many of the tracks have been closed..

was thinking then tallarook, but not quite sure.

I am open to suggestions!

thanks,

santo

Bloodyaussie
6th December 2013, 07:36 AM
Tallarook is your best bet mate... go up the Hume to Broadford then down Davis rd and follow it to you get to a gate... make sure you close the gate after you then follow the track into the place along Jenkins..

We normally air down at the gate.

Copy this map and it will see you through most of the place.. I could go on for ages about what tracks to take but it would take forever.

Would show you around but flat out at the moment.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x260/jpgpz/tallarookmap.jpg

threedogs
6th December 2013, 07:38 AM
Tallarook is the go 57ks past Donnybrook Bridge up the Hume turn right at Ennis and follow road into Forest.
Just pick any track you see some are technical others are sloopy. After all that rain yesterday
I think it would make for some great 4x4ing

Remember to wipe your number plate and stop and headlights clean when you're ready to come home

Drewboyaus
6th December 2013, 10:16 AM
x3 for Tallarook. You could also probably head to Wombat State Forest but I dont really know the tracks around there.......

santoitaliano
6th December 2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks all, sounds like tallarook is the go.

:-D

santoitaliano
6th December 2013, 11:33 AM
Idea of mods req'd for talla?

Heading out tomorrow morning early...

AB
6th December 2013, 12:57 PM
Be very careful using all terrains on the hills up there mate. If you can't get mud tyres by tomorrow I would be avoiding the steep climbs and descents.

MEGOMONSTER
6th December 2013, 01:48 PM
Wombat would be a blast after all the rain we got, ATs would make it hard work any where after rain.

threedogs
6th December 2013, 01:57 PM
Clay and all terrains not a good mix but if you have a winch and a few guys go for it I say but
talk before doing. some tracks can bite you on the butt big time

santoitaliano
6th December 2013, 02:20 PM
Definately don't want to bite off more than we can chew. All up will be about 5 cars. Any tracks that you guys recommend? Is Jenkin's Track OK?

threedogs
6th December 2013, 02:42 PM
reservoir track is a good one, be wary of the big slippery hill, east falls rd I think off main mountain.
Even if you find Red Hill follow that through great spot for snakes ,in the gully
All good tracks only ever seen one guy drive Steep track in the wet its off reservoir and steep

Drewboyaus
6th December 2013, 06:37 PM
Jenkins is quite good medium on a dry day with one steep, rutted and tricky hill climb on it that is pretty tough when it's wet....you will be winching or snatching, especially if wet and on AT's.
The Teehans tracks aren't bad.
Phone Track and Steep track are definitely on the hard end of the spectrum.
Just drive around.....you'll find plenty.

santoitaliano
9th December 2013, 10:31 AM
Went to Talla, entered from Davis side, did heaps of tracks. Had a great day, i'm suprised how well we went with AT's, probably lucky it wasn't too muddy. No recoveries on the day.

I am so proud of the Patrol, setup works great. If i find a decent set of 33 MT's to bolt on when i go 4x4'n or shooting i will be pretty happy.

I've posted a couple of video's (public) if anyone cares to see, I tried the same path as the cruiser (left side of hill) but the AT's just couldnt give me enough traction. Still managed to get up though!

I'll put another couple of vid's and pictures up soon.

Thank you all for the advice!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152067221040590

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152067203485590

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/q71/s720x720/1475946_10152065505480590_1932682084_n.jpg

threedogs
9th December 2013, 12:35 PM
Nothing there Santos

santoitaliano
9th December 2013, 02:04 PM
Is that working now?

threedogs
9th December 2013, 02:18 PM
Yeah working you did well for the tyres you had

santoitaliano
9th December 2013, 02:22 PM
You really loose how steep the hill is in the video, i'll post one later of the car coming down.. gives a much better idea. Just keeping my eyes open for a decent set of 33" muddies..

Bloodyaussie
9th December 2013, 02:22 PM
I know the track well... you would hate to watch how easy I get up that bugger!!!!

Do you know what tracks you ended up doing?? not a bad place hey mate... if you are for for fun in January I will show you around..

santoitaliano
9th December 2013, 04:20 PM
Yeah, jan sounds good after the first week.. I really think i'll be happy after a set of 33's with MT's... and a bit more practice/experience..

I know we did about 5 different jenkins tracks, i think cable track was in there too, horan's.. i think phone and teehan's... a mate was in the lead with GPS... I can't really remember to be honest.

threedogs
9th December 2013, 04:35 PM
I think you never aired your tyres down, I'll go out with you next year and show you some tips and safe recovery practices.
Do you have a compressor ? if not at least air down to 30psi that way you can still drive to a servo to air up.
You'll find by airing down you can tackle hills at a slower pace, all that bouncing around will break something down the track.
Pop rivet your front number plate one or you'll lose it doing a bog hole. Always clean your headlights ,lens and number plates after you go 4x4ing
or you'll find the boys in Blue will ping you

santoitaliano
9th December 2013, 04:42 PM
I think you never aired your tyres down, I'll go out with you next year and show you some tips and safe recovery practices.
Do you have a compressor ? if not at least air down to 30psi that way you can still drive to a servo to air up.
You'll find by airing down you can tackle hills at a slower pace, all that bouncing around will break something down the track.
Pop rivet your front number plate one or you'll lose it doing a bog hole. Always clean your headlights ,lens and number plates after you go 4x4ing
or you'll find the boys in Blue will ping you

Dropped to 28.. some big roots caused the bouncing on that run... i cleaned up before going home... but i would never knock back some advice/offers from more experienced people, so i look forward to heading out with ya!

Bloodyaussie
9th December 2013, 05:53 PM
Mate at that forest I drop down to 18-22psi but mostly 18psi.....

santoitaliano
9th December 2013, 05:59 PM
Mate at that forest I drop down to 18-22psi but mostly 18psi.....

Good to know.. i've still got a lot to learn ;)