PDA

View Full Version : winch, which battery?

jake_308
21st January 2011, 08:57 PM
when i bought my GU i ordered a ironman 9500lbs winch, and a mate helped me fit it. i have two questions...
1) should i have wired it up to my main battery? as he told me to do it to the 2nd battery but i have heard conflicting reports?
2) he has a 12000lbs ironman on his GU and said the 9500lbs will struggle to pull the heavy GU coilcab. i thought it would be more then enough...

the evil twin
21st January 2011, 09:26 PM
1. The rule of thumb is ... if an accessory is something you use with the engine running connect to the Cranker, if the accessory is something you use with the engine off connect to the Aux but it isn't life or death however a lot of people put deep cycle batts in the aux position so in that case def hook to the cranker.

2. Line pull can be a very misunderstood rating... Yes the 12000 will pull an identical load "easier" than a 9500 but have a look at the winch equipment.
Got a hook? Almost definitely.
Have a look at the hook rating? Almost certain to be 4,000 LB (2T) or thereabouts
So you shouldn't be pulling more than 2T (4,000Lb) which is less than 50% of the line pull rating.. the 9500 will pull it sweet for a reccy user... if it's more then you are exceeding the rating of the system. Why does the manuf put a 2T hook on a 5T to 6T line pull winch ? Because it is essentially a torque rating of the motor and gearing. If you want an actual system that is 6T (12,000 Lb) all the way thru you are talking some serious size shackles, cables etc

I only have a Warn 9000 on my truck and it does the job easily. Because the way of the world is if you are trying to pull anything like a load in excess of a couple of tons you would rig up a Mech Advantage system using a snatch block or two. A Turfor hand winch or even a boat winch will shift a load of 10 tonnes IF you rig it to sufficient mechanical advantage... it will just take a while