PDA

View Full Version : 1987 GQ LWB TB42 (on gas) to TD42....Part 1

Paul87GQ
1st December 2013, 02:49 PM
Well here we go!!
I've been meaning to do this conversion for a while now but due to the fact I blew my clutch on the old girl on my last day trip to Jakem Farm, I decided there was no time like the present!!

Background:
I managed to get hold of a 1990 GQ LWB TD42 with 330K on the clock Complete wreck for $1300 about 12 months back & obviously I could not get my wallet out quick enough with the intention of doing the conversion.

The Donor Car.....

So about a month ago I removed the body and started removing the engine & gearbox with the idea in my head to only do the minimum to get it into my car & get it running.....

Where I'm at now........
Motor & gearbox removed & bellhousing from diesel removed.

What I've done (& need to do!) to get the motor ready to install

1/Radiator....Took the old 2 core unit in & got new 3 core unit
2/Water Pump....was going to replace it anyway but found housing was U/S so got new timing cover from wreckers......
3/New Engine & gearbox mounts......(old engine mounts were both broken!) on donor car....
4/New Exedy Safari Clutch & Flywheel machine
5/Rear main seal is weeping so that's getting replaced

I'm sure there will be a few more things that get onto the list as time goes on........
I'll post more pics as I progress!!

Cheers,
Paul

Bloodyaussie
1st December 2013, 04:29 PM
Keep the updates coming mate.... and take plenty of pics, we love pics!!!!

growler2058
1st December 2013, 04:36 PM
Love a good build thread, keep the updates coming, cheers

Paul87GQ
1st December 2013, 07:58 PM
This is what I found when I took the water pump off.......obviously the previous owner had not heard of coolant.....

AB
1st December 2013, 08:00 PM
Big job but well worth the effort. My neighbour did this conversion last year and he has never looked back. Yell out if you get stuck mate, plenty of people who can help out and best of luck!

Paul87GQ
1st December 2013, 08:03 PM
So...What now?? 1/Replace timing cover.....but to do that you need to drop the sump.....do I throw a set of bearings in there while its open or just clean the sump, replace the gasket & be done with it???

Paul87GQ
3rd December 2013, 06:57 PM
So I've made the call. I won't do anything to the engine itself,just fix all the leaks & replace the timing cover.

Bloodyaussie
3rd December 2013, 08:20 PM
Mate as long as the bore looks in good nick I would just give everything a clean and replace all the seals and put it back together.. the big ends are pretty bullet proof so no real need for worry there..

I have an engine stripped down to a short motor (petrol) and am putting it all back together in the next couple of weeks in between work,kids,wife and other?

I look forward to how this all goes and hope you keep up the updates of how it all goes.. cheers!!

Paul87GQ
14th January 2014, 08:34 PM
Update....... I have managed to come across a reconditioned long TD42 motor for the right price........so now I have for sale my original TD42 out of the donor car....obviously minus injector pump (which is getting rebuilt) , manifolds & 1 gearbox to help fund the price of the recond motor....... I'm in SA so message me if interested..... Cheers, Paul

Paul87GQ
20th February 2014, 09:55 PM
Another update. Things have been a bit slow lately but thing are starting to happen again slowly. I have removed the TB42 & am now in the process of removing the gas system,cleaning,cleaning & more cleaning of the engine bay etc to get it ready for the TD42 which has been fully reconditioned,Injector pump overhauled,Injectors overhauled & new glow plugs. I have a few more mods to do yet e.g Install Diesel power steering & sort out the issue with the air cond bracket (eg get the right one as there are several different types depending on what compressor you have!) Here's a few pics of progress so far......

93patrol
20th February 2014, 11:41 PM
looking good mate

are you basically shifting all of the fuel lines and everything in the donor cars diesel engine bay over to accomodate the new motor?

Paul87GQ
8th March 2014, 11:25 PM
HELP !!!! Got the motor in & just noticed a little bit of movement on the harmonic balancer from side to side.....its not alot but it concerns me as to weather it will flog out he key.
Any suggestions ??? Should there be ANY movement ???? I'm thinking there shouldn't.

Sorry 93 Patrol didnt see you question until later.......yep just using the donor cars engine bay fuel set up. will post a few more pics as it moves along......(and once I get this harmonic balancer issue sorted!)

PJDM1980
15th June 2014, 10:03 PM
How did you go with the movement in the balancer?