PDA

View Full Version : Swan lake sand dunes.

mudnut
30th November 2013, 06:16 PM
Sandnut...Hmmm...Doesn't have the same ring as mudnut. Anyway I took my son and his mate out to the sand dunes so they could walk up to the dunes and go sand boarding. The dune buggy club was there, so paid up $75 for a half year family membership. They lent me a 6 metre flag pole, which I taped to the bulbar. I aired the new rugged terrains down to 18 psi and off we went. We had an absolute ball and forgot to take any photo's. The RB30 performed flawlessly and the tyres were amazing. Not having a real block-like tread, they also bagged out lengthways and rolled over the sand easily, (way better than my highway tyres). I definitely recommend shelling out for a four day membership, if you visit my neck of the woods, or a yearly family membership if you live nearby. There are many challenging dunes and flatter areas to put the foot down. Its a great place to camp and have fun. I am thinking of building a dune buggy out of my old 4wd Corolla, but funds are limited, so it will be a project of the future. I will get some pictures next time I'm out. Cheers. mudnut.

BigRAWesty
30th November 2013, 07:12 PM
I'd be keen for a trip mate. Day is nearing where mine is back on the road

mudnut
30th November 2013, 07:27 PM
No worries, but membership is required, unfortunately. :( There is only a corridor for public access to the beach. Beach driving in vic is outlawed :( :( :( One of the best spots for salmon and shark if you can stand the freezing hundred mile an hour winds:) I should've joined the club years ago, as my young 'uns can now drive there as they're members too.

mudnut
5th December 2013, 07:51 PM
Some pictures of Tuesday's outing with Young Muddy Nut and Mudnutette. I should mention that a four day membership is only $50 :) And I aired the tyres down to 16psi and the Old Trol just took the steeper dunes easily.

mudnut
24th December 2013, 01:38 PM
One of the dune buggies that was doing the rounds at the Swan Lake. It was flying up dunes we could barely walk up. It had VW running gear with an old Sigma 4 cylinder engine. The owner told me it cost him about $3000 plus freight to get the buggy from the states. The engine conversion plate was around $560.

Drewboyaus
25th December 2013, 05:57 PM
Great write up mate. Perhaps a future meet-up location!

mudnut
25th December 2013, 06:58 PM
http://www.portlanddunebuggyclub.com.au/
This is the link to the dune buggy club site, where the rules for driving in the dunes are listed. I have had an absolute ball out there. The kids keep wanting to go too, which is great.

Avo
25th December 2013, 07:02 PM
your backyard looks simular to mine mudnut,love the sand,the dunes heaps

mudnut
25th December 2013, 07:18 PM
I love this part of the world. It is so beautiful and close to many great areas. It's only 20 minutes to the best beaches.