PDA

View Full Version : Which tank is which?

poindexter
27th November 2013, 10:44 AM
Hi all,

Just have had my GU ute for a week, so please be easy on me.

This morning went to fill main tank as was showing down to 1/4.
So, go to fill and no diesel would go in, its full, so I go to what I think in the sub tank, and sure enough, in goes 67 litres.
Now, is the forward filler the main tank, or is it the rear filler?
I was on the understanding that the front filler was main, and rear was sub, but the gauge and fill, tells me otherwise.
My mate at work has a wagon, and he tells me the front tank is the main tank.
So, is the ute different?

cheers

Ralph

threedogs
27th November 2013, 10:48 AM
Your sub tank STD is 80 ltrs and main is 95 ltrs,
in which order I cant tell you.
On a wagon the main is in the rear

macca
27th November 2013, 11:50 AM
Utes front tank (and filler hopefully) and the top part of the fuel gauge is the sub tank at 80 litres
The rear tank, filler and bottom part of fuel gauge is the main tank at 90 litres
The engine draws the fuel from the main tank only, so when getting low you have to start transferring fuel by pushing the sub tank button in.
Transfer is slow at about 1 litre per minute on mine. With the nose uphill all the fuel pumps across, nose down the pump sucks dry leaving a fair bit still in the tank.

Cuppa
27th November 2013, 12:00 PM
Yep main tank is at the rear. This is a gripe of mine. I reckon it would make sense the other way around. With a full main tank & little or nothing in the sub all that weight is up behind the rear axle. Enough to be able to detect that the front end feels a bit lighter. The car definitely drives better with both tanks full.

macca
27th November 2013, 12:08 PM
Yep main tank is at the rear. This is a gripe of mine. I reckon it would make sense the other way around. With a full main tank & little or nothing in the sub all that weight is up behind the rear axle. Enough to be able to detect that the front end feels a bit lighter. The car definitely drives better with both tanks full.

Seems like a better load distribution to me as well Cuppa, often wondered why they are the way they are on the Utes, Wagons with the 30ltr sub I understand.

poindexter
27th November 2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks guys, it all makes sense to me now.
I'd have thought that the main should be the front tank, but there you go, who would have thought.
Thanks again.

cheers

Ralph

dads tractor
14th February 2014, 10:49 AM
Cuppa to be honest I've never noticed any difference in the front end and I would of thought that adding the weight at the back would help even the load across the entire chassis. I also thought both tanks were 85 or 90 lts.

poindexter
16th February 2014, 01:56 PM
What are the options available to increase the size of the sub tank?
Is this a worthwhile pursuit if planning to do the canning or similar? Having the weight low and central in the vehicle sounds appealing. I'm talking about a ute here btw.

dads tractor
17th February 2014, 12:48 AM
Got any boiler mates put a 180 ltr tank between the tray mounts but remember xtra 200 kgs plus the weight of the tank. How many times will u use 360 lts of fuel think condensation algae if diesel up grading springs and shocks etc

rainsey
17th February 2014, 12:59 PM
What are the options available to increase the size of the sub tank?
Is this a worthwhile pursuit if planning to do the canning or similar? Having the weight low and central in the vehicle sounds appealing. I'm talking about a ute here btw.

Outback accessories in Perth do a 170litre sub tank replacement for the GU ute.

Am saving up to get one before my Canning trip later this year.

Cheers
Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rainsey
17th February 2014, 01:01 PM
For you interests, I moved my sub tank filler so I could put in some under tray tool boxes.

rainsey
17th February 2014, 01:07 PM
A couple more shots of how I routed the filler.

poindexter
18th February 2014, 12:48 PM
nice one, I was thinking about doing the same thing, but move the fillers forward rather than rearward.
Looks like you used exhaust pipe?

rainsey
18th February 2014, 07:01 PM
nice one, I was thinking about doing the same thing, but move the fillers forward rather than rearward.
Looks like you used exhaust pipe?

Yep. Went down to General Mufflers and they bent me up some 2" stainless from memory. Went down to Truck line and bought the flexible fuel filler pipe.

Dead simple and probably one of the best mods I have done. Moving the filler forward should be o/k, the only thing that you have to be careful of is not raising the pipe you move too high if you have to cross them over.

If the pipes are too horizontal the tank that you move the filler is a mongrel to fill if you use a high foaming diesel. Another reason for me using BP as it does not seem to foam up and then I am not sitting there all day trying to fill my sub.

Cheers
Rainsey