PDA

View Full Version : 2" vs 3"

trekster
23rd November 2013, 12:31 PM
Hey friends,

So I'm going to be getting a lift kit soon in the next few weeks.

I have a friend who has a 3" lift in his patrol and is getting a 6" kit fitted so will be selling his 3" (offered it to me for a couple of hundred) its about 3 years old dobinson brand, will come with brake lines and adjustable panhards.

Is there anything else I would need to fit this kit or do? I can get a new 2" kit but the price on this is good and for what I do would suit me.

Thoughts/opinions please!

Cheers,
Eric.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Steve4wdin
23rd November 2013, 12:45 PM
You will need extended brake lines

Clunk
23rd November 2013, 12:49 PM
may need castor correction, brake bias bracket, adjustable drag link to bring your steering wheel back to centre otherthan that, I think you have everything else there............................ if theyre in good nick, its worth it for a couple hundy i reckon

BigRAWesty
23rd November 2013, 12:54 PM
Take it if it's in good nick I'd say.
But as Clunk said you need something to correct the castor weather Its bushes or drop boxes.
Brake bias bracket is not so important straight up but will make the car feel more stable under braking when fitted.
Same with the drag link, handy to have a centered wheel but can be added later..
You have the important stuff there so go for it.
If not then pm me his number.. Lol

trekster
23rd November 2013, 12:58 PM
He's spending 4k on this kit, is it likely the bushes will come out of his car? Just trying to work it all out as suspension lifts are foreign to me.

Clunk
23rd November 2013, 01:10 PM
He's spending 4k on this kit, is it likely the bushes will come out of his car? Just trying to work it all out as suspension lifts are foreign to me.

they may well do if he's got them.

you may want to have a look at getting extended sway bar links as well......... again not necessary but will help with flex.
oh and just watch the length of your diff breather

NissanGQ4.2
23rd November 2013, 01:14 PM

That would depend on what setup he has currently, If he ran castor correction on the 3" lift then he would have no need for the castor correction for a 6" lift as he would need drop boxes with original bushes, If he never done the correction and has the original bushes then he could still use them.

Well thats my understanding, but I have been wrong on many occasions on many things *L*

lhurley
23rd November 2013, 02:52 PM

Unless the guy pushing them out is a magician, the bush will get damaged coming out anyways.

trekster
23rd November 2013, 06:29 PM
Does the amount of work required justify the extra inch of lift? I mean I could get a kit for around a grand in 2" and just put it in without too many dramas and wouldn't need to change all this stuff?

CorbinsGUte
23rd November 2013, 06:40 PM
Hey ive been tossing up this same option on a gq whether or not to go 2 or 3 inch. Im going to settle on 2, because all I need is shocks and coils as opposed to all the extras needed for an extra inch. Plus its nearly half the price ( ebay) to settle with 2 inch lift. Bigger isnt always better;) its also legal haha

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

MudRunnerTD
23rd November 2013, 07:32 PM
Hey Eric.

Mate confirm what caster correction he is running with the 3" lift and what caster correction he is planning to run with the 6" lift. A 6" lift should have big drop boxes or drop arms mate.

If he is already running caster bushes and they are in good Nic and he is wanting to fit drop boxes then he will want to fit standard bushes back in. If that's the case then offer to Swap arms with him mate. He gets your Genuine bushes and you get his caster correction. As long as all 4 radius arms are straight there is no reason he should not just swap arms with you.

If he is going with drop arms then he does. It need his arms either and you can just grab them off him too with the caster bushes in them.

If all that fails then I would recommend that you fit Drop Boxes as your primary caster correction anyway and maintain your Nissan bushes.

trekster
12th December 2013, 09:04 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

So my $200 3" kit went in today, unfortunately the adjustable panhard bars didn't fit, something about the s1 s3 being different on the ends, anyhow he measured up against the ones in mine and they were identical length so all good there,

fitted shocks/springs, extended brake lines, new fluid + bleed, fit front swaybar (im guessing the kit had a stronger one??), removed rear swaybar, replaced rear radius arm bushes, extended diff breathers, swapped my arms with other arms that had castor correction bushes installed...

lhurley
12th December 2013, 09:39 PM
Looks the business now. In regards to your sway bar, the front one from the kit may have longer pins so that it's at the correct height for the lift. Also you want to leave the rear in and take the front out, makes the front end move better. As well as makes I drive nicer on road as well.

Clunk
12th December 2013, 09:44 PM
Just need some bigger boots to fill those flares now

mudski
12th December 2013, 09:55 PM
Just be aware that no sway bar means no insurance cover. Many people take them out, but I don't think its worth the risk. When you want to go off road, it only takes five minute to jump under and disconnect one side...
Food for thought.

trekster
12th December 2013, 10:34 PM
Just be aware that no sway bar means no insurance cover. Many people take them out, but I don't think its worth the risk. When you want to go off road, it only takes five minute to jump under and disconnect one side...
Food for thought.

I have no idea why it is removed? I asked him to put the kit in and this is how it ended up.... Might have to ask him why.

cheers.

lhurley
13th December 2013, 03:52 PM
I have no idea why it is removed? I asked him to put the kit in and this is how it ended up.... Might have to ask him why.

cheers.

You would get crazy flex out of the rear, but its unnecessary. Plus it will be a boat on road

growler2058
13th December 2013, 03:57 PM
Most likely the swaybar connector is too short for the lift

MudRunnerTD
13th December 2013, 04:00 PM
Looks the business now. In regards to your sway bar, the front one from the kit may have longer pins so that it's at the correct height for the lift. Also you want to leave the rear in and take the front out, makes the front end move better. As well as makes I drive nicer on road as well.

100% agree. this is how my GUIV is setup and it is great! Soo Good in fact i am chasing a GU rear sway bar for the GQ.

trekster
13th December 2013, 06:52 PM
You would get crazy flex out of the rear, but its unnecessary. Plus it will be a boat on road

Spoke to the man at the 4wd shop today and confirmed it is not long enough to use, has informed me its within legalities here to have it removed, and with the rear off gives more travel, whereas having the front on or off won't change the travel, it also handles quite well hardly any body roll at all!

MudRunnerTD
13th December 2013, 07:03 PM
Spoke to the man at the 4wd shop today and confirmed it is not long enough to use, has informed me its within legalities here to have it removed, and with the rear off gives more travel, whereas having the front on or off won't change the travel, it also handles quite well hardly any body roll at all!

Trust me Eric the Patrol fundamentally has No Issue achieving decent travel out of the rear. In fact this is probably its biggest problem! We as a group dream of a front end that will flex and why don't they ??? Because the back flexes So well that the front does not need to and therefore does not! But if you Discourage Rear Flex the front actually has to do something.

You will have very limited flex on the front if you have a front sway bar, removing the front and fitting it to the rear is a far better option. Ol' mate who fitted this is living in the past my friend, his logic is floored and incorrect.

Given the coin you saved on this setup I would encourage you to buy a pair of extended sway bar links for less than $100 and swap it out. It will be a great improvement.

MudRunnerTD
13th December 2013, 07:04 PM
I note also that I did not require adjustable panards on my 3" lift on the GUIV. What did you end up doing about caster correction mate? Swap arms with him?

trekster
13th December 2013, 09:11 PM
I note also that I did not require adjustable panards on my 3" lift on the GUIV. What did you end up doing about caster correction mate? Swap arms with him?

Swapped arms, and the adjustable panhard bars are sitting in my garage as they don't fit mine due to series 1 being different to his series 2/3

Cheers,
Eric.

ninety3
17th December 2013, 11:11 PM
Has anyone got any experience with Ironman suspension? Ive been told that ironman pro 2" shocks have 3" of lift if I use the 2" springs with a spacer. Is this right?
I want a 3 inch lift but have a mate who's father is a rep and can supply me a set of 2" springs/shocks for $750. I want a 3" lift but have only around $1000 to spend. I already have castor correction bushes and coil spacers from the (stuffed) tough-dog set up that was in my GU when I bought it.

trekster
18th December 2013, 09:00 PM
Ordered extendable rear swaybar links the other night, suits 2-8" of lift lol.

Cheers,
Eric.

menace 2
18th December 2013, 09:34 PM
100% agree. this is how my GUIV is setup and it is great! Soo Good in fact i am chasing a GU rear sway bar for the GQ.

so does the gu sway bar fit straight in ?...why GU ?..are they stronger or bigger or something ?...cheers

MudRunnerTD
18th December 2013, 10:23 PM
so does the gu sway bar fit straight in ?...why GU ?..are they stronger or bigger or something ?...cheers

Yes the GU sway bar will go in. I have GU diffs under the GQ anyway so happy days.

The GQ and early GU rear sway bars are the same size rod, I think its about 18mm. The later models run a much thicker sway bar, maybe 22 or 23mm providing even more rear restriction. Get the front flexing!!

Drewboyaus
19th December 2013, 08:47 AM
Yes the GU sway bar will go in. I have GU diffs under the GQ anyway so happy days.

The GQ and early GU rear sway bars are the same size rod, I think its about 18mm. The later models run a much thicker sway bar, maybe 22 or 23mm providing even more rear restriction. Get the front flexing!!

Daz,
What are your thoughts on the sway bar disconnects like you can buy from Superior et al. ? I have been thinking of removing the front sway bar for a while but want to remain roadworthy so the disconnects seem like a good compromise.....

MudRunnerTD
19th December 2013, 09:08 AM
Daz,
What are your thoughts on the sway bar disconnects like you can buy from Superior et al. ? I have been thinking of removing the front sway bar for a while but want to remain roadworthy so the disconnects seem like a good compromise.....

yeah they are a great idea. i have them on the front of the GQ but if you play in the mud they can be a right biatch to re-engage. Mongrel. i have teh superior ones and the tolerance is ridiculously small that its nuts. I gave up and no longer use them, just drive around without the pin now. Granted though the GQ is parked 99% of the time and only goes bush.

liftlid
19th December 2013, 09:21 AM
I only put the GU sway bars on because I was carrying heavy loads on the roof, otherwise I would keep the GQ ones, if you haven't got a big lift or lots of weight the GU bars would properly be to stiff.
I also don't disconnect the bars off road other than the factory disconnect on the rear.

Winnie
19th December 2013, 10:08 AM
Do the GU ones make the car more sturdy or something?

MudRunnerTD
19th December 2013, 12:22 PM
Do the GU ones make the car more sturdy or something?

yeah a little more stable mate. less body roll. with the new setup on the GQ i might consider just running the GQ sway bar i have here now but the old setup the bigger sway bar was on the top of my list.

liftlid
19th December 2013, 04:37 PM
yeah a little more stable mate. less body roll. with the new setup on the GQ i might consider just running the GQ sway bar i have here now but the old setup the bigger sway bar was on the top of my list.

Your car is taller than mine and might need the gu one

MudRunnerTD
19th December 2013, 05:33 PM

Only by a little bit ;)

liftlid
19th December 2013, 05:39 PM
Only by a little bit ;)

My whole knee!!!!!!

taslucas
19th December 2013, 06:54 PM

Only by a little bit ;)

I followed you guys from knockwood..... Suspension soft enough to jump water breaks and damn near lift a tyre on the bitumen cornering;-)
Isn't that right Andy!?

liftlid
19th December 2013, 07:00 PM
I followed you guys from knockwood..... Suspension soft enough to jump water breaks and damn near lift a tyre on the bitumen cornering;-)
Isn't that right Andy!?

12 psi in tyres and felt great