PDA

View Full Version : Roof spotties - bonnet light reflection

DX grunt
21st January 2011, 10:22 AM
Hey people,

I've just woken up, still half asleep and don't have my cognative skills with me, and I've probably asked this question before, but......

Do you get any/much light reflection from your roof spotties on the bonnet?

I've got a white Patrol.

YNOT
21st January 2011, 12:06 PM
It depends where the lights are mounted. Mount them at the top of the windscreen and you will get reflection, mounted in line the B-pillar or behind the cab on a ute stops reflections.

Tony

AB
21st January 2011, 12:12 PM
Sounds like the front of your POD would be a good spot Rossco.

the evil twin
21st January 2011, 12:26 PM
Sounds like the front of your POD would be a good spot Rossco.

Yeah, AB, I would agree... Roscoe, just make sure the lens is forward enough so no light gets down into the rear window.

Personally I dislike roof lights but they have their advantages off road

Bigrig
21st January 2011, 01:05 PM
Hey mate - if you are super keen, you can also put the clear "skins" on the bonnet which would stop reflection - has the added bonus of stone chip protection, but I don't know/haven't heard of how they weather over time ...

Dark 1
21st January 2011, 09:54 PM
I get a little reflection ,mainly from my white bullbar mounted ariel, but nothing really annoying. Love the light they put out tho. I'm going to hid them soon so they'll put out some light then.

the evil twin
21st January 2011, 11:43 PM
I get a little reflection ,mainly from my white bullbar mounted ariel, but nothing really annoying. Love the light they put out tho. I'm going to hid them soon so they'll put out some light then.

It will be a lot more annoying when you HID them... trust me on that.

Matt black heatshrink solves the problem quite nicely and still looks OK or invest in a black antenna... insulation tape works but looks like poo

DX grunt
21st January 2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks for your advice everybody.

Take care out there

Finly Owner
21st January 2011, 11:56 PM
You can also put a little"shelf" under lights to stop downward reflection.

MudRunnerTD
24th January 2011, 11:58 PM
Hey Rossco,

I have mine mounted over the "B" Pillar on the GQ and i get absolutely no reflection on the bonnet at all.

All 4 lights are HID but i find they are most useful for tight bush and out the sides at 10 & 2 for night hwy driving. The XGT HIDs on the front bar take care of the stuff out front.

mounted on the front of your Pod but kept close to your roof will be a winner mate.

DX grunt
25th January 2011, 12:40 AM
Hey Rossco,

I have mine mounted over the "B" Pillar on the GQ and i get absolutely no reflection on the bonnet at all.

All 4 lights are HID but i find they are most useful for tight bush and out the sides at 10 & 2 for night hwy driving. The XGT HIDs on the front bar take care of the stuff out front.

mounted on the front of your Pod but kept close to your roof will be a winner mate.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Dxgruntwithnametags002.jpg

Thanks MR.

Just had a look at your last mod pic and your set up is illegal in WA. You're only allowed 4 spotties, in total,
in addition to your two headlights.

Even the 2 on the top of your bar is illegal over here. Apparently it obscures your vision. The cops are pretty heavy on empty fishing rod holders
on the bull bar too. I've heard of lots of yellow stickers being given out.

So, here's my plan and I'd like your advice.....

Put 2 spotties either on the cab or on the pod on a 10 and 2 position. My 2 bull bar mounted spoties will cover the road, and the 2 on top will cover the sides of the road.

If I put the spotties on top of the pod, the light might creep down between the pod and back window and If I put the lights on the cab, I might get light reflection from the cab roof onto the white bonnet.

The idea of a 'shelf' sounds encouraging. Thanks Tim. If I mount the 2 spotties on the top front of the pod just under the top, and have a 'shelf' made up to shield the light from creeping inbetween the pod and the back cab window, I think I'm on a winner.

Also when I'm driving along on high beam, the NissanPatrol.com sticker should light up like a trucks air foil sign. lol

I don't want to go on top of the pod. It's too high and will hit every branch. Plus it won't fit under Macca's Drive Thru. lol

Any thoughts on this?

DUH.... disregard my post. I should have read your thread properly.

Oh well, another opportunity to promote DX grunt and NP.c.au lol