PDA

View Full Version : (Bris) wanted roof rack, roof top tent and 4wd recovery equipment

dannypatrol
22nd November 2013, 12:15 PM
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a cheap roof rack, roof top tent and 4wd recovery equipment. I am a student and just starting out with 4wd driving. Let me know if you have anything what might help me.
Cheers

BigRAWesty
22nd November 2013, 12:21 PM
Tbh you will struggle to find second hand recovery gear. Most people destroy theirs before replacing..
Might also be worth trying the local FB buy swap and sell pages..

Clunk
23rd November 2013, 09:38 PM
IMO I'd stick with buying new when it comes to recovery gear such a s snatch straps, shackles etc......... Keep an eye out on Gumtree and local free adds for your roof rack and tent.

First Patrol
23rd November 2013, 10:21 PM
Do not agree, I just went down to local 2nd hand shop and there was a bag full of recovery gear there for $50 it had snatch strap, turfer heap of shackles endless slings etc. it was all in very good condition very happy!!!!!

First Patrol
23rd November 2013, 10:24 PM
But mate what you need I have an endless supply of endless slings, shackles and the like I'm happy to hook anybody up with.

Clunk
23rd November 2013, 10:32 PM
each to their own and thats why I said in my opinion............. I'm weary of new gear let alone someones second hand stuff that you don't know how it's been used

First Patrol
23rd November 2013, 10:39 PM
Correct clunk but you can inspect this stuff like anything else for damage. Alot of the time it will not affect swl of the recovery gear. Although a trained eye will confirm. I'm just saying look around as bargains are out there. But yes new recovery gear is ideal!!!

First Patrol
23rd November 2013, 10:46 PM
And new is not necessary best! I did a job where we used new slings every lift. 250 in total! 3 slings failed they were all brand new. It's just horses for courses but new not always the best. 2nd hand can do the job if on a budget and inspected properly before use!

megatexture
23rd November 2013, 11:10 PM
Danny if you have a patrol and your mates have cruisers, prados,Pajaros they are the ones that need to supply the straps, its bad enough you have to waste fuel going back to pull them out.

Personally id stick with new gear though the only way you can know if a strap is good is to test it to breaking point and then its farked anyway.

dannypatrol
25th November 2013, 12:50 PM
thanks everyone, I saw they have a snatch block, strap, tree trunk protector kit for just 150 so I will buy that. I was looking into getting a high lift jack but that might be better for later on. I think it might be better to do first a safety course so I know better how to use stuff. I will keep an eye out for roof racks on gumtree

MudRunnerTD
25th November 2013, 01:02 PM
Hi Danny.

Mate there is a fair bit of info in this thread for you to digest and consider. For me, the strap I would not buy second hand (used) is a Snatch Strap. Even visually they can still look fine but can be very difficult to determine the life they have led and whether they still have potential for stretch.

I would happily buy tree trunk protectors and extension straps after rolling them out and inspecting them for wear and damage.

Back to your original question though re roof rack and roof top tent. As you stated that you are a Student and have a very limited budget I would probably encourage you to consider the TigerzII roof rack and rooftop tent combo. I detest this brand. It is cheap and cheap for a reason. If though you are aware of what you are buying and understand that it might get you out camping for a couple of years before it is junk then go for it mate. Know that it is Cheap and nasty but it will keep you dry.

This will be the first and last time I recommend TigerzII gear. You are the perfect candidate and their real market. Have fun bud.

macca
28th November 2013, 10:11 AM
Danny I have just put this up as a FS thread.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?24840-Ironman-RTT-for-sale

threedogs
28th November 2013, 11:01 AM
Beat me to it Macca.. lol

dannypatrol
1st February 2014, 02:58 PM
Still looking for this and a cheap old fridge