PDA

View Full Version : The right set up

rusty_nut
18th November 2013, 05:07 PM
I am looking to upgrade the suspention in my GQ to allow better towing of my Xtrail Ranger (GVM 1400kg).

I would also like a taller stance on the veihcle and the ability to do some medium 4x4 work.

I am also looking to put a 3.7m tinnie (80kg) on the roof.

However; I am clueless as to what set up to use on the suspension.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Got a knew (secondhand) roof rack for it two weeks ago. Looks good.

BigRAWesty
18th November 2013, 08:38 PM
I'd go a regular 3" setup with spring bag assists.
This way you get a nice smooth ride when empty but the ability to carry the extra with the airbags.
But it is a very open ended question.. Lol

trekster
18th November 2013, 08:42 PM
3" require extended brake lines? Or can you just move them and rescrew them to work?

I've read (and don't quote me on this) That the 2" flexy springs will flex as good as a 4" lift against some other brands..... take from that what you will....

Cheers,
Eric.

lhurley
18th November 2013, 10:06 PM
3" require extended brake lines? Or can you just move them and rescrew them to work?

I've read (and don't quote me on this) That the 2" flexy springs will flex as good as a 4" lift against some other brands..... take from that what you will....

Cheers,
Eric.

Note that there is a lot, and I mean a lot of bad reviews for them. They come from a place called suspension stuff, and i was at their shop the other day, it's a shared building with tigerz and is tiny. Looks a bit shadey too.
Basically what I'm saying is, steer clear of them.

rusty_nut
19th November 2013, 09:16 PM
Am I right in assuming that a two inch lift with airbags would mean not moving lines or diff angles, etc? Would I get away with a two inch suspention lift and a 2 inch body lift later?

BigRAWesty
19th November 2013, 09:31 PM
Am I right in assuming that a two inch lift with airbags would mean not moving lines or diff angles, etc? Would I get away with a two inch suspention lift and a 2 inch body lift later?

A 2" lift can be as simple as springs and shocks.
This will be enough for 33" Tyres if you like. I get good flex
From my 2" old Man Emu kit. I'll find a pick.
After fitting a 1" body lift I'm taking it out.
Stuff the body lift imo, go suspension all the way.
But yes you can add a 2" body later if you see fit..
After re reading what your uses are I'd stick to the 2" lift. Keep the body roll to a min.

Clunk
19th November 2013, 09:37 PM
It all depends on what sort of offroading you're going to be doing. I've got a 2" suspension lift and run on 33" rubber and play pretty hard in it and for the most part certainly does the job. You can probably get away with not having to do any other work to it if you stick to 2".

In regards to carrying an 80kg on the roof (hope I read your post right), your roof is only rated to carry approx 100 or 110kg, so also factor in the weight of your roof rack, you'll be pretty close to your max load..... And before anyone pipes in, yes there are alot of folk who carry alot more weight. But I like to err on the side of caution. Plus it will be crap for your centre of gravity.

rusty_nut
20th November 2013, 01:09 AM
It all depends on what sort of offroading you're going to be doing. I've got a 2" suspension lift and run on 33" rubber and play pretty hard in it and for the most part certainly does the job. You can probably get away with not having to do any other work to it if you stick to 2".

In regards to carrying an 80kg on the roof (hope I read your post right), your roof is only rated to carry approx 100 or 110kg, so also factor in the weight of your roof rack, you'll be pretty close to your max load..... And before anyone pipes in, yes there are alot of folk who carry alot more weight. But I like to err on the side of caution. Plus it will be crap for your centre of gravity.

Thanx Clunk and Westy, a two inch lift with airbags and good coils might be the order of the day.

Clunk, I'm just wondering where you got your info from regarding the load capacity, I have been reading far and wide in regards to the roof capacity og gq's and I do understand the difference between static and dynamic weights; however, there is so much discussion about dynamic weights and recommendations from 100kg to 250 kg it is difficult to know where the actual correct weight limit lies. I have a steel rack with full support bar that I was hoping to put the rino rack on, however this will push the writ to about 130kg. Saying this, this set up would b for bitchumen only.

Clunk
20th November 2013, 01:40 AM
Info came straight from rhino rack, we had one of their guys come to a club meet a while back....... was very informative indeed

viking
21st November 2013, 01:11 AM
A 2" lift can be as simple as springs and shocks.
This will be enough for 33" Tyres if you like. I get good flex
From my 2" old Man Emu kit. I'll find a pick.
After fitting a 1" body lift I'm taking it out.
Stuff the body lift imo, go suspension all the way.
But yes you can add a 2" body later if you see fit..
After re reading what your uses are I'd stick to the 2" lift. Keep the body roll to a min.

Sorry to butt, but if I put a good quality 2" lift kit in my GU, I would be able to run 33" tyres with no body fouling problems? Also if I step up in tyre size should I be looking at diff ratio's to still have the same low down power? Cheers..

MudRunnerTD
21st November 2013, 01:20 AM
Sorry to butt, but if I put a good quality 2" lift kit in my GU, I would be able to run 33" tyres with no body fouling problems? Also if I step up in tyre size should I be looking at diff ratio's to still have the same low down power? Cheers..

by your sig line you have the same car as me. i fitted 285/76r16 tyres to my car without any lift. i had to remove the front mud flaps but no other fouling at all. I now have a 3" lift and can run 35's without trouble.

You wil have 3.9 diff ratios and i have no trouble turning the 33s mate. even the 35s did fine.

Evo
21st November 2013, 01:34 AM

I was running 33's with standard suspension and had minimal scrubbing on flex.

Evo

viking
21st November 2013, 03:57 AM
Excellent thanks guys, need some bigger wheels and a bit of lift, be one of the first things I do. Cheers