PDA

View Full Version : mini solar power kit

Malgreen
17th November 2013, 08:11 PM
Hi everyone.
i saw somewhere here that some one made a small battery box using a motorbike battery and a small solar panel. and was used just to power LED strips in the rooftop tent and awning..
I wish to make one.....
so my question is..
how does one connect a solar panel to small battery and what is needed.. was thinking of a really small panel to trickle charge...
any ideas?

cheers

megatexture
17th November 2013, 09:04 PM
Your probably talking about 3 dogs battery box and light pole,

I'd go on ebay as you can get the solar set up in a kit with panel and regulator cheaply , or you could use jumper leads and charge it every few days... If its only for led strips the battery will for last ages before it needs a charge

Edit: I don't think its 3 dogs as he's not got a rooftop that I'm aware of.

Malgreen
17th November 2013, 09:29 PM
its funny,, the second i posted this i found the post from threedogs.... thanks anyway

megatexture
17th November 2013, 09:45 PM
You mean you found one of the post lol

Malgreen
20th November 2013, 11:08 AM
ok just an idea..
would this be enough to power a couple of led strips and say 2 led camp lights? just seen this advertised on tv..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-MultiFunction-JUMP-STARTER-Personal-power-/261332194148
i dont think i would try to start my car with it tho..lol

Oh and it can be recharged from the car too. And i wonder if this solar panel would keep it topped up??
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30W-Solar-Panel-12V-Monocrystalline-Module-House-Caravan-Boat-Off-Grid-Use-/360741174822?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item53fdd97e26

any thoughts?

MudRunnerTD
20th November 2013, 12:32 PM
Hi Mal. That jump start pack would do fine mate. If it's compact then happy days. Note that led lights draw almost zero current and will last a very very long time on the pack.

I would have no hesitation running my camp lighting for a week or longer off that pack. Note that it is only a 400 amp jump pack.

I use a 900 or 1200 jump pack from Supercheap and I use it for camp lights and charging other items also as it has a cgi lighter plug on it. Same logic, a little bigger, way more power and handy in the car if you do need a jump;)

BigRAWesty
20th November 2013, 12:50 PM
There are easier things to use, like Mr said a jump start pack will see you set for days..

Quick question. Do you have dual battery setup? And are we talking a camper trailer, tent or roof top tent you want lights in??

alfonso
25th November 2013, 06:21 PM
solar Christmas lights set of 100 with solar panel and changeable AA battery $20.00 If lighting is all you need could be a cheap option

Malgreen
27th November 2013, 01:38 PM
thanx for the answers guys.. sorry for long delay as i have been home from work so i have been lazy,,lol

Mudrunner... yep i agree, that is the way i am going to go. its just to run 3x1m led strips in the roof top tent,l saves running a cable down to the car.

Oh and Westy. havernt got due battery yet but thats coming after Xmas. along with a heap of mods to my patrol.

thanx guys

threedogs
27th November 2013, 02:58 PM
How'd you go? the battery was an 18 ah job from Jaycar
placed in a battery box and packed tight using polystrenLight is an LED spun alloy job
Puts out plenty of light , I originally took 3 away but ended up using only one.
The good part was if you wanted yo go down the river and have a fish for a while you could
as I had mine mounted on 3 mtr pole I made up. Camp lighting was then via an awning light
using aux 4x4 battery or another light on pole via my camper
As for the battery packs get one with around 30 ah rating some of the smaller ones are shite.
I never have flat batteries at camp and camping under a full moon saves even more battery power,
my lights go through a dimmer as well to further conserve power

Malgreen
28th November 2013, 07:55 PM
Thanks Threedogs.....
will have to wait till after Xmas now as i have just flown back to work for a 3 week stint, then a week home then out again on Xmas day ( yes this sucks ) oh love the life of a FIFO......
have to get some new shoes for the truck first as they are getting rather smooth.... might go for an all terrain this time and not muddies.... no mud where i live but lots of sand.

Oh did i mention i need time?? lol

Malgreen
29th November 2013, 11:48 PM
hey guys, what do u think about this?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-V-Jump-Starter-portable-air-Compressor-inverter-Power-pack-/181269780166?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a348556c6

threedogs
30th November 2013, 06:46 AM
First opinion was no good ,then read up the specs. You have 18AH to play with, plus
using LED lights should be plenty, Not sure how good compressor would be,
but great for charging phone and other gizmos, compact too

chipppa
12th December 2013, 12:47 AM
how much did this little set up set ya back mate? looks reltivly inexpensive?