PDA

View Full Version : GQ TD42 manual gearbox vibration

Winnie
14th November 2013, 06:49 AM
Hey guys, if I sit facing downhill, put the car in neutral and sit it on the handbrake, it will make a horrible vibration sound. When the car is running of course.
It's done it since I've had the car but it seems to have gotten a bit worse lately. It will sometimes do it quickly when I am braking and the car leans forward a little.
I. Know the TD42 will always have some groaning going on but it's not this.
Any ideas? I'm taking the car to the mechanic tomorrow and he's gonna drop the oil and inspect it but I just wanna have some info if I can.

taslucas
14th November 2013, 07:03 AM
Clean the maf

growler2058
14th November 2013, 07:04 AM
Why the F$&k are you sitting on a vibrating handbrake??!!!!!!

taslucas
14th November 2013, 07:09 AM
Why the F$&k are you sitting on a vibrating handbrake??!!!!!!

You'll find out on Australia day

growler2058
14th November 2013, 07:25 AM
You'll find out on Australia day

That's what I'm worried about!

happygu
14th November 2013, 07:28 AM
Hey guys, if I sit facing downhill, put the car in neutral and sit it on the handbrake, it will make a horrible vibration sound. When the car is running of course.
It's done it since I've had the car but it seems to have gotten a bit worse lately. It will sometimes do it quickly when I am braking and the car leans forward a little.
I. Know the TD42 will always have some groaning going on but it's not this.
Any ideas? I'm taking the car to the mechanic tomorrow and he's gonna drop the oil and inspect it but I just wanna have some info if I can.

Could be an engine mount Winnie .....

Winnie
14th November 2013, 07:29 AM
Really guys?

taslucas
14th November 2013, 07:34 AM
Really guys?

Oh you big sook!

Does it happen if you're in gear with the clutch in?
Does it happen if you use the foot brake instead of the hand brake?
It's not your exhaust still?

Winnie
14th November 2013, 07:36 AM
Could be an engine mount Winnie .....

They seem alright to me, I'll get the mechanic to check it out tomorrow too.

Oh you big sook!

Just trying to get the car sorted mate.

Yes
No
No

happygu
14th November 2013, 07:38 AM
Oh you big sook!

If it happens to be a broken engine mount, it isn't the end of the world ... it can be fixed ;)

Winnie
14th November 2013, 07:40 AM
It definitely sounds like it's coming from the gearbox, I've gotten out of the car and listened from underneath.

happygu
14th November 2013, 07:44 AM
In all seriousness Winnie it is fairly hard to diagnose, but I wouldn't think it is something major mechanical wise, as it would do it more often than just pointing downhill if it was.

It sounds like something is shifting or moving under no load, but when there is force applied it is OK as it is sitting where it should be.

Mic

threedogs
14th November 2013, 09:26 AM
Have you tried the long screwdriver to the ear trick to isolate the noise to gearbox.
Otherwise it may be else where like Harmonics

Ben-e-boy
14th November 2013, 10:21 AM
Does it do it facing uphill or up side down.

taslucas
14th November 2013, 11:01 AM

No jokes Benny. Winnie gets crabby if we spam his serious threads.

So how's the weather?

Winnie
14th November 2013, 11:07 AM

Nope. Just downhill.

Ben-e-boy
14th November 2013, 11:19 AM
@ lucus. If you had some serious input like telling him to disconnect the battery for 17.38 hours he might not get so crabby.

@ winnie. Go around and tighten all the bolts on the cross member. Check the engine mount passenger side in particular. When my engine mount went it sounded like it was coming from everywhere but the engine mount.

Chech the oil aswell basics first. Drop it into a clean oil pan and check for metal fragments.

Clunk
14th November 2013, 11:26 AM
If it happens to be a broken engine mount, it isn't the end of the world ... it can be fixed ;)

Tis dead easy, I fixed mine...... Took me 5 minutes ;)

taslucas
14th November 2013, 11:28 AM
@ Benny, I couldn't remember exactly how long the battery needed to be off for and I didnt want to give him the wrong advice IMO.
But that's just M2cw

happygu
14th November 2013, 01:37 PM

But...has your skin grown back yet ..... ;)

Clunk
14th November 2013, 04:22 PM
But...has your skin grown back yet ..... ;)

Just about, got another nice manly scar for my troubles too lol

Clunk
14th November 2013, 04:52 PM

Ok ok it was more like 4 hours. In all seriousness though Winnie, it made a difference to the vibration I was felling through the auto. Didn't feel it during idle, only when turning right and also above 20kph in a straight line..... The thing is, other than the vibration, there were no other signs if a stuffed mount. No visible signs or movement when using a pry bar

Winnie
14th November 2013, 04:56 PM
What made you change it after it was visually okay? Just a gut feeling?

NissanGQ4.2
14th November 2013, 04:59 PM
I reckon the gearbox is stuffed poo bear you should upgrade to an auto box *LMAO*

Clunk
14th November 2013, 09:06 PM
What made you change it after it was visually okay? Just a gut feeling?

Yeah mate, just a gut feeling...... It fell apart as I took it out

I haven't done the drivers side yet but that's supposed to be even more of a prick to do.

Just had a thought, rare I know but your gear box mounts could possibly stuffed. But unsure of where they're located compared to the autos box.

taslucas
14th November 2013, 09:46 PM
Yeah mate, just a gut feeling...... It fell apart as I took it out

I haven't done the drivers side yet but that's supposed to be even more of a prick to do.

Just had a thought, rare I know but your gear box mounts could possibly stuffed. But unsure of where they're located compared to the autos box.

Hey clunk, im looking for an engine mount, how much for that one?

Clunk
14th November 2013, 09:54 PM
Hey clunk, im looking for an engine mount, how much for that one?

It's free mate, will just cost you your airfare and time to rummage through which ever tip it ended up in

taslucas
14th November 2013, 10:15 PM
It's free mate, will just cost you your airfare and time to rummage through which ever tip it ended up in

Done. You want PayPal or a money order?

Clunk
14th November 2013, 10:21 PM
Done. You want PayPal or a money order?

Bottle tops mate

happygu
14th November 2013, 10:31 PM
:hpfredgeorge1::hpfredgeorge1::1087:

The least I can do is I can save Lucas the airfare....I will bring it back for him on my next trip....might have to take one piece at a time though due to luggage constraints ......:smileyvault-cute-bi

Mic

happygu
14th November 2013, 10:34 PM
Ok ok it was more like 4 hours

Glad you cleared that up for the record ......

happygu
14th November 2013, 10:37 PM
Winnie,

TD42's do have a habit of breaking engine mounts .... must have something to do with the huge torque output, as when you look at the rubber it seems like they should last forever

Mic

Winnie
14th November 2013, 10:43 PM
Winnie,

TD42's do have a habit of breaking engine mounts .... must have something to do with the huge torque output, as when you look at the rubber it seems like they should last forever

Mic

I'll get the mechanic to check them, I have looked at them with a pry bar and they LOOKED fine but yeah I'm not a professional haha

Clunk
14th November 2013, 10:44 PM
I'll get the mechanic to check them, I have looked at them with a pry bar and they LOOKED fine but yeah I'm not a professional haha

Mine looked fine too

Clunk
14th November 2013, 10:47 PM
If he does find it needs changing, I recommend trying it yourself though, it's fun

Winnie
17th November 2013, 04:42 PM
So I had the car at the mechanic, he said not to worry as it's not the gearbox, just one of those annoying vibrations. I spent 3 hours under the car today and could not find it!!!

Clunk
17th November 2013, 05:05 PM
Change the passenger engine mount..... You know you want to lol

growler2058
17th November 2013, 05:47 PM
Just stop sitting on the bloody handbrake ya weirdo

Winnie
17th November 2013, 05:51 PM
Can't, too comfy.

Bloodyaussie
17th November 2013, 05:57 PM
Mate I have had both engine and gear box mounts that looked fine until taken out and put in a vice... got a large screw driver and twisted them and they were completely stuffed..!!!!!

I am going to swap out all this stuff when fitting my new engine as I will do a vain if I needed to replace not long after!!!

Now Lucas leave your poo bear alone!!

Winnie
21st November 2013, 07:45 PM
Gearbox mounts were shot... replaced them today but it wasn't the problem. Engine mounts tomorrow.

Clunk
26th November 2013, 09:43 PM
Gearbox mounts were shot... replaced them today but it wasn't the problem. Engine mounts tomorrow.

Fixed it??????

Winnie
26th November 2013, 09:49 PM
Sorry forgot to post back up. It sure did! Vibration is gone.

Clunk
26th November 2013, 10:04 PM
Sorry forgot to post back up. It sure did! Vibration is gone.

How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?

Winnie
26th November 2013, 10:28 PM
$400 all up, for both gearbox mounts $55 each and both engine mounts $65 each plus $140 in labour.

happygu
26th November 2013, 10:35 PM
Woo Hoo !!!

I thought that would be the cause.

Mic

Clunk
26th November 2013, 10:36 PM
$400 all up, for both gearbox mounts $55 each and both engine mounts $65 each plus $140 in labour.

That's not bad, good to hear that's sorted out the vibration

Winnie
26th November 2013, 10:40 PM
Bloody oath, I was rapt.

Clunk
26th November 2013, 10:41 PM
Oh ye of little faith!!!! Lol