my third 256
20th January 2011, 04:28 PM
hi all wasjust wondering whencan i change into 4wd in an auto
can i be moving or do i need to be stationary
i know this sounds a bumb question
stephen

YNOT
20th January 2011, 04:38 PM
As long as the front hubs are locked you can change between high2 and high4 by lifting off the throttle while on the move up to about 80 km/h. Probably better to also shift into neutral so there is no load on the gearbox. You must be stationary to engage and disengage low range.

Tony

beansathome
20th January 2011, 11:20 PM
i have found i have to use lowrange in this way

nutral is a must when changing to and from lowrange wile stationary. and if u stuff up and dont keep the 4x4 gear stick pressed down wile chaning to and froom lowrange u will have 2 turn the car off( really nice grinding noises otherwise) then move the leaver either to high range or lowrange. hope that helped. i recon its in the car factory manual if u have 1. i can send u a copy of the pages if u want.

my third 256
20th January 2011, 11:26 PM
thanks beansathome have just found it in the manual
stephen

beansathome
20th January 2011, 11:32 PM
thanks beansathome have just found it in the manual
stephen

have a good read there is a bit there about towing (autos are more trouble if the towtruck isnt a flatbed) asweel as how to use everything. alwas good to have a quick read of what is recomended

cheers ben

Chaz
21st January 2011, 02:43 AM
It’s best to shift into low range in park because the transmission will spin up in neutral and you’ll need to stop the engine to get the transfer out of neutral. Sometimes it won’t engage in Park, so you need to move the car, but I find it’s easy to do in gear if you move very slowly although you can get a small crunch when it goes in.

When towing an auto, always put the transfer case into neutral.

Simon
21st January 2011, 08:48 AM
Can you unlock the front hubs and engage low range to get L2? or can that do damage and if so what damage?

Chaz
21st January 2011, 09:06 AM
Can you unlock the front hubs and engage low range to get L2? or can that do damage and if so what damage?
I do it often, particularly if I want to reverse the camper up the driveway or on a hard surface. You can’t do any damage provided you take it easy. Remember you are almost doubling the torque to the rear wheels when in low range, so just go easy, but the Nissan rear axle should be able to take it.