PDA

View Full Version : Std GU turbo or R33 Std turbo for my GQ?

bexi
20th January 2011, 03:38 PM
Hey guys,

I've spent hours and hours reading over this forum in regards to turboing td42's.

Everyone who has asked about doing up their own turbo kit has been shot down and told it's a waste of time and just buy a kit from turboglide etc.

I guess there's some stubbornness in me because i still want to do it myself.

I work for pirtek so i can silver solder fittings and make all my own lines up and also have access to silicone bends etc at good prices.

My questions are:

1) Is there any reason why i shouldn't buy one of these manifolds? I do like the high mount option.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270691028030&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

2) If i use a std 4.2 GU turbo (have already located one), will this make life hard as the exhaust housing will be upside down when mounting the turbo above the manifold rather than under the manifold as it is std?

3) I also have located a std Skyline R33 t28 turbo at a good price and was wondering if this would be a better option for me when doing a high mount turbo. Is this the same turbo that turboglide use?

The GU option is cheaper for me as the turbo comes with a std dump pipe but i don't know if this is useless to me as when i mount the turbo on a high mount manifold, the dump pipe will be pointing up towards the bonnet!

Thanks guys
Bexi

GUte
20th January 2011, 04:35 PM
I would say the skyline turbo would be too big as diesels dont rev high enough to get the turbine spinning so they will just lag.
A lot of people use the garrett gt2860rs (also called disco potato) which is designed for smaller 2 litre 4 cylinder type petrol engines. The 4.2 is has twice the capacity, but revs half as much as the 2 litre petrol so they flow about the same amount.

I would just use the GU turbo (hitachi ht-18) for now to get it running on the cheap and then look at upgrading further down the track.
Also it would be much easier to locate a low mount manifold so the dump can just bold straight up to your exhaust. These are harder to work on and dont look as cool but they are both doing the same job

bexi
20th January 2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for your reply GUte.

The bloke who has the skyline turbo told me it is a gt2860rs ... is this not true if it is a std turbo off an R33 skyline? (I've tried to google what turbo comes std on a R33 but couldn't find answer)

I'm not too concerned about the exhaust bolting up to my std exhaust (If i use GU turbo) as i doubt it would bolt up to a GQ exhaust and i was going to get a 2.5/3" exhaust anyway.
My question was more along the lines of ... can i spin the exhaust housing around 180 degrees if i bolt the turbo on a high mount manifold so that i can still use the std dump pipe and have it pointing down instead of up in the air?

GUte
20th January 2011, 10:58 PM
I cant answer that question but nice score if it is a gt2860rs
interesting thread over at petrol 4x4

rowanr32
1st February 2011, 03:20 PM
hey mate the gt28 style turbos are off a nissan s15 im pretty sure, the 180sx and silvia s13 use a gt25 turbo. the r33 uses a t3 turbo and its slighly bigger than the r32 turbo. but the nissan gtrs also use the t25 and t28 turbos so if the turbo you were looking at is off a gtr chances are its a 2860.