PDA

View Full Version : Swing away carriers on stock rear bar?

Glen 93 patrol
12th November 2013, 09:20 PM
Hi all

Has anyone fabricated up a swing away carrier to fit onto a stock rear bar. I'm thinking about doing this soon to fit my tyre on one side and a jerry can holder on the other side.
Now do I have a go at this or do I just go all out and fab up a complete new bar?
What are your thoughts.

Cheers Glen.

Hodge
12th November 2013, 09:34 PM
They used to make something like this for the 80/100 series lounge cruisers, and a mate of mine modified one of them to fit onto his shorty. He later replaced it with a proper bar. I'll ask him if he has a photo of it or something and I'll post it up if here for ya.

Glen 93 patrol
12th November 2013, 09:53 PM
That'd be awesome. I've seen it done a few times on the cruisers but nothing really on a patrol

MudRunnerTD
12th November 2013, 09:57 PM
Hi mate, assuming your asking about a rear bar for a GQ then you could make one for sure, there is a thread around somewhere called "rear bars" that is worth a look. I have made the rear bar on my GQ and it does the job noprobs. I have an axle integrated into t but never got around to making the swing away. One day I might.

Check ut my build thread for pics of the bar mate.

BigRAWesty
12th November 2013, 10:04 PM
Will be pretty easy I think. You'll have to mod the rubbers but if you slip a plate between the chassis and wing, or even just make new wings it'll all bolt on.
I'm looking at doing a full bar but, have a few ideas in my head. Not the norm anyway..
Mime is apart atm if you want pics

BigRAWesty
15th November 2013, 06:41 PM
Here are a few picks. I think getting side loading support may be an issue.

I think if you make new wings it would be easy. Then make a latch / cradle to support the center and bolt to the hoop bolts..

Hodge
15th November 2013, 10:27 PM
Apologies for very late reply Glen. As per my post I asked my mate and he doesn't have any photos of the way he done it.
But looks like others here are onto it for you.

Glen 93 patrol
15th November 2013, 10:37 PM
Apologies for very late reply Glen. As per my post I asked my mate and he doesn't have any photos of the way he done it.
But looks like others here are onto it for you.

No stress mate.

By looking at the pics that kallen posted, it just shows that there is bugger all support behind the wings on the end where the weight will be. I'm thinking now of maybe fabricating up some new wings.

Cheers guys.

mudnut
15th November 2013, 10:55 PM
I thought of doing the same thing, but I will save my money until I can make a complete bar, so I can raise the position of the towbar to increase my departure angle.

BigRAWesty
16th November 2013, 12:59 AM
I thought of doing the same thing, but I will save my money until I can make a complete bar, so I can raise the position of the towbar to increase my departure angle.

I was going to do the same But no go unless you start chopping cross members.
The alloy part sits on the chassis, so the most your going to get is the 15-20mm between bar and chassis. Unless you start engineering it.

BigRAWesty
16th November 2013, 01:24 AM
Just hang about fellas. I'll get mine rolling then see what ya's think.
Have a couple of cards up my sleeve..

threedogs
16th November 2013, 07:25 AM
There was a mob near Benalla way called Karrie2 or similar that made a RHS swing away for the GU.
It mounted as you want to, cutting only a small hole in the wing to pick up the chassis.
His name was Micheal from memory, this was his only product as just starting out,
If you look at Kaymar 200s one it mounts very similar, leaving OE rear bar in place

AJTich
2nd December 2013, 11:07 PM
How did ya go at this Westy?? Any success??

BigRAWesty
2nd December 2013, 11:38 PM
Yea not as yet..