PDA

View Full Version : Hand winching et al……..

outback
9th November 2013, 08:34 PM
Ok odd question on this one.

I already have an electric winch on the bull bar. But I suspect that I should carry a secondary winch option as things tend to happen.

The Patrol I have has a Nissan steel bullbat hence no HI lift jack points. Small issue.

At present I am looking at he following
1. Exhaust bag jack. Makes some sense. Also within reason safer than a HI-lift.
2. Options here:
a. Hi-Lift jack and includes:
- Lift mate to lift via wheel
- Off road base – essential with jack
- Hi-Lift winch kit
_ What ever I have left out…
b. Hand winch.

I think cost wise about on par so no big deal there
I had a word with some from ARB and the bumper lift kit apparently wont work on a Nissan bar. Odd but that is what I was told.
I didn’t ask about the jack mounts to see if they can be fitted but I guess they don’t fit either.

As for hand winches looks like a flea bay decision as some com with reasonable pull ability, 5tonne.

I am more interested in a second winch option anyway so any suggestions

NP99
9th November 2013, 09:00 PM
Go the terfor mate....

outback
9th November 2013, 09:08 PM
Somewhat inclined that way as it helps with fencing as well.

NP99
9th November 2013, 09:17 PM
And some trees and stumps.... :)

outback
9th November 2013, 09:35 PM
And some trees and stumps.... :)

ANFO for that

BillsGU
9th November 2013, 10:03 PM
How much space do you have in your Patrol? It all looks very useful - but at the end of the day if you carry all that useful stuff - there will be no room for beer - or food - or YOU !!!

Experience is all about what you leave behind rather than what you cart around and never use.

GQ TANK
10th November 2013, 01:26 AM
I carry a turfor, and have a winch fitted to the vehicle.

I have had to use the turfor a couple of times

1, I need to recover my vehicle from the rear as there where no anchor points to winch off in front of the vehicle.

2. While winching a RAV4 out, on a truck it should never have gone down, I found the patrol was sliding towards the RAV4, I used the turfor to anchor the patrol to a tree, while I winched the RAV4 out..

outback
10th November 2013, 02:10 AM
Bills: Let me put it this way.
I look at equipment that is useful for trips, Collective not one specific. What I need for a particular trip is pack. What is not needed is not taken.
Really simple, if in hard ground areas I don’t take a land anchor that is suitable for sand, I take one suitable for the harder ground.

Experience is selecting equipment for that trip, be it tentage type, recovery, food storage, water, spares, etc.
Do I need a hand winch every trip or a Hi-Lift jack? Possibly not so I select for that trip based on the risk of the trip.
Do I take the trailer or the van? All decisions based on the trip, terrain and what is needed.
That comes from detailed planning and trip risk assessment.

I trave a lot with me, myself and I so I would like to go to X and then come home at the end in one piece.

GQ: I would agree I am more inclined toward the turfor approach than a Hi-Lift. It has a few more uses around the paddocks and track vs a Hi-Lift.

I was interested in others opinions.

threedogs
10th November 2013, 07:02 AM
Tifors Are a lot of work, best get an OK from the Doctors first.
Would I need or take one ,,,,,no
I would lean towards an Exhaust jack, easy to use light to carry.
Do I have an Exhaust jack no, as I wont be doing any sand driving.
but would buy one if doing the Simmo,
Having said that I take it you travel Solo, big no no in outback terms
as it puts big stress on outback resources when things go belly up.
I take it you are experienced enough so don't take it the wrong way

outback
10th November 2013, 01:27 PM
thredogs no offence taken..
As for Dr, he got bored OKing me all the time.

threedogs
10th November 2013, 05:39 PM
Seems they like probing,, the older you get the more the probing.
I get what your saying ,,, basically have everything available so when different trips arise
you can select what style of recovery gear you need for that particular trip.
Like high country gear being totally different to beach requirements

Drewboyaus
10th November 2013, 07:48 PM
Remember it's not just the beach where an exhaust jack is useful.
When I blew one of my KM2's out climbing a tree on the snow trip earlier this year Daz (MudRunnerTD) whipped his exhaust jack out and the wheel was changed in no time......much faster and safer than a highlift.
An exhaust jack is now on my must-have kit list.

outback
11th November 2013, 12:25 AM
Seems they like probing,, the older you get the more the probing.
Dead right, seems a yearly exercise. I am sure they do it to get extra money.

I get what your saying ,,, basically have everything available so when different trips arise
you can select what style of recovery gear you need for that particular trip.
Like high country gear being totally different to beach requirements
At least you understand how I look at things.

MudRunnerTD
11th November 2013, 07:45 AM
IMO, leave the Tirfir at the Shop. A hi lift jack will do the same thing as the Tirfir but is far far far easier to carry and store.

For my money your exhaust jack is a no Brainer. If you don't have one WHY? It is the first thing that goes in my car and the First thing I use every time. It's light to carry, packs down and cost $100 on eBay.

A Tirfir is heavy and tough work to use.and Big.

At least a hilift can be bolted to your roof rack in the shovel holder ;) probably where it will stay for its life time.

In a winching situation as described above (no disrespect intended) where it was used as an restraint to the rear of the car? Anything else, anything, would have done that task. If there is a tree to tie too, and there must have been something to attach the Tirfir to, a drag chain, a tree truck protector, a snatch strap, a winch extension, a heavy rope, Anything could have been that anchor. Everything other than the drag chain weighs less than 2kgs and the drag chain is less than 10kgs. The Tirfir is up over 20kgs or way more.

If your travelling Solo then an exhaust Jack for most things and the Hilift as the backup plan. IMO

cgm
11th November 2013, 07:55 AM
Think you've convinced me on the exhaust jack. I was never quite sure if they were really up to the task. I've carried the hi-lift around for years and basically never used it. Haven't bothered with it lately. Don't have anywhere safe to use it at the back and they can be really dangerous if you don't give them lots of respect and attention when using them.

Will check out what options I have here for the exhaust jack.