PDA

View Full Version : Car Fridges , help with some stupid questions please

04OFF
9th November 2013, 10:48 AM
So ....i need a new esky, the one i like is about $300, but now im half thinking i should put that money toward a 12V fridge ?

There is a billion threads on what fridge is best, but there never seems to be actually much of a conclusion, so id thought id ask some specific questions about what ive seen so far.

To give you a idea where im at, so far ive looked at a 40L Engel (the gold version with auto temp and battery cantrol), and also the Waeco 40 - 50 L in the CFX range.

Firstly , the conventional esky im used to, is a 47L capacity, im assuming that i only need a 40L fridge to fit just as much stuff , as i dont need to allow room for the 2 bags of ice ?, i am very limited to vehicle internal luggage space, so a bigger (external size ) fridge is not better for me.

So....

Do you need/use a drain plug in the fridge ?, if you don't have a drain ,and say spill milk inside, can you just tip the fridges upside down and hose them out , or are they like a nornal fridge that need to stay upright ?

How important is a external bag ?

Are they really as good on power consumption as the sales dudes say, e.g. if i have a single car battery, i can run the fridge all night and still start the car in the morning ?

I assume i can pile stuff/camping gear all around the fridge as long as the fan vents are clear, and what sort of clearance or gap do you need to give the fridge fan vents ? , what happens If im off roading and stuff falls and blocks the vents , do they have a thermal cut out, or do i wait for the flames ?

Fridge slides are just a convinience thing so you dont have to reach into the car , or are there other benifits to having a slide system ?

Most people with car fridges seem to drink "cans" of beer, is this because they are more space efficient and are easy to chill, or do bottles tend to rattle/break or chip the inside of the fridge (or am i just reading too much into this)

Thanks in advance :tongue:

Winnie
9th November 2013, 11:05 AM
So ....i need a new esky, the one i like is about $300, but now im half thinking i should put that money toward a 12V fridge ?

I've got the Gold Engel, it's awesome. If you do somehow spill crap in it you can just soak it up with a towel and give it a wipe down inside.
Travel bag is good but not necessary. I would spend the extra money for one though. Keeps the fridge cooler and protects from scratches etc.
In the cooler months I have run mine for a week without using the car at all and it still started. Warmer months it will last two days. But this is not good for the battery, you really SHOULD use dual batteries but I went with the single battery for 12 months.
Don't know about other brands but the Engel has a thermal cut out. Keep things away from the vents but there are vents on both sides and the back so partial blockage would be okay I would think.
The slides are just convenience. But say if your fridge is on top of a set of drawers the lid might hit the roof before you can get into it so would be necessary there.
I use cans because there is no chance of them breaking inside the fridge and I can crush them to take up less room when taking them home. But I have used bottles no dramas, just more rubbish to take with you.
Fridge is definitely the way to go!

macca
9th November 2013, 11:31 AM
Been an Engel owner since 1982 and would not use an esky if the fridge had space in it. Only ever taken an esky when taking lots of beers for my crew on camping weekend.

happygu
9th November 2013, 01:12 PM
04OFF,

I have the ultra-efficient AutoFridge, and it is fantastic - wouldn't be without it, but one drawback is you can't tip it upsidedown as the Eutectic fluid leaks out - well it used to anyway and I haven't tried it with the new one.

It isn't really a drama as you never really need to tip it upsidedown, as you just wipe the inside with the cloth, and I use Vanilla Spray to keep it smelling nice ... :)

Engels and Waecos are alright to tip upsidedown if you wish - just leave them sit for an hour or so before turning back on to make sure that the oil is still in the compressor.

40 Litre Fridge is ample for most needs - we lasted over one week in the Simpson for 4 people as an example.

Never broken anything in the fridge, but the Autofridge does tend to freeze vegetables if they are touching the sides, so we pack the meat around the edge, and put the vegetables in the middle.

I hope that this helps, but I would definitely go the fridge.

Mic

Drewboyaus
9th November 2013, 01:22 PM
Pretty much as above, but I use a 60L ARB fridge. Tough as. Engel or ARB for mine. They are the best value for performance. Never been a huge fan of Waeco...too many stories of breakages. There are cheaper and more expensive options out there but these are the pick IMO. The ARB 47L is about the same price as the Engel 40L.
Has a drain plug in the bottom so you just hose it out.
Same as Winnie, cans only for me. Mainly for space when carrying rubbish out. Buy a 10L cask of water and when it's empty, use the goon bag inside to blow up and fill the unused space in your fridge to stop stuff bouncing around.
Definitely fridge mate. And get yourself a dual battery setup too. Your camping trips will never be the same!

gaddy
9th November 2013, 01:29 PM
13 years old cops a flogging in the boat as in gets the crap belted out of it , was also in the back of a ute for that time on the beaches , still runs like a dream .36512
Down side needs 42 500 amp batteries 9 solar pannels and 5 chargers Lol :)
Steve

threedogs
9th November 2013, 01:44 PM
I use a Baileys ice box for drinks and my Engel for food.
The Engel resides behind the driver on a platform with an engel transit base bolted to it.
It draws its power from my Aux battery via a switch on the dash to 50amp Anderson.
Anther thread here had roto molded iceboxes for $90, but don't get any Techni-ice yuk.
Plus with an ice box or similar you have extra water{ice} in an emergency.
Had the Engel since '92 and rarely not running. No Probs to date.
One thing I might add is some don't like The tropics,,,,,

NP99
9th November 2013, 02:12 PM
This is what I got Steve, in 60lt. I'm more than happy......

http://www.techniice.com/car-fridges-1.html

Maxhead
9th November 2013, 02:19 PM
Pretty much as above, but I use a 60L ARB fridge. Tough as. Engel or ARB for mine. They are the best value for performance. Never been a huge fan of Waeco...too many stories of breakages. !

I thought the ARB fridges are a re-badged Waeco. They use the danfoss compressor unlike the Engle's Sawafuji....something I heard not long ago

threedogs
9th November 2013, 02:22 PM
Glass will break cut a piece of lino or similar if filling up with cans
as the top layer will wear its way through the bottom layer, the wine bag is a good tip
as you fridge wont have to work as hard to cool things down. Fill wine bags with water.
only put cold stuff in. Not ideal for drinking out of opening and closing all the time.
That's what the Esky/icebox is for

Drewboyaus
9th November 2013, 03:14 PM
I thought the ARB fridges are a re-badged Waeco. They use the danfoss compressor unlike the Engle's Sawafuji....something I heard not long ago

Nope. Totally different. They may use a Danfoss compressor but it is a different spec and until recently was heaps more efficient than the equivalent size Waeco.
The design of the fridge is also completely different from Waeco, much more robust.
It is one of the myths of 4WDing that the ARB fridges and Waeco's are the same. A little bit like saying because Samsung make nearly all the worlds LCD/LED screens that a Hisense TV is the same as a Panasonic.

Steve4wdin
9th November 2013, 03:21 PM
Waeco and ARB fridges are both built in the same factory in China.

Drewboyaus
9th November 2013, 03:23 PM
Waeco and ARB fridges are both built in the same factory in China.

May I ask how you know that?

Drewboyaus
9th November 2013, 03:24 PM
......And it still doesn't make them the same fridge if they were.

Steve4wdin
9th November 2013, 03:25 PM
A friend of mine works for Waeco in QLD. The ARB one's are there own speck but under Waeco factory quality control.

Maxhead
9th November 2013, 03:26 PM
Nope. Totally different. They may use a Danfoss compressor but it is a different spec and until recently was heaps more efficient than the equivalent size Waeco.
The design of the fridge is also completely different from Waeco, much more robust.
It is one of the myths of 4WDing that the ARB fridges and Waeco's are the same. A little bit like saying because Samsung make nearly all the worlds LCD/LED screens that a Hisense TV is the same as a Panasonic.

Yeah, fair enough. I just had a look at some pics and they look totally different to be a re-badged jobby..lol The specs on the new Waeco look pretty good but :)

Drewboyaus
9th November 2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah, fair enough. I just had a look at some pics and they look totally different to be a re-badged jobby..lol The specs on the new Waeco look pretty good but :)

Yeah, the new Waeco's are much better than the previous models. This is where I suspect ARB has assisted Waeco if they are being made in the same place......
Many manufacturers will use the same OEM in China and if that is true, it makes sense for ARB and Waeco to share the QC resource. They will both have different QC specs though.

I will check with my contact at ARB. He will know.

gaddy
9th November 2013, 03:39 PM
If I was buying a fridge now I would find out who has the best back up service get a list of each brand you are looking st and see where there recommended repair agent is , not s dealer but the bloke thst actually fixes it , no point been in darwin if the fridge has to be sent to brisbane to be fixed ,

Steve4wdin
9th November 2013, 03:43 PM
If I was buying a fridge now I would find out who has the best back up service get a list of each brand you are looking st and see where there recommended repair agent is , not s dealer but the bloke thst actually fixes it , no point been in darwin if the fridge has to be sent to brisbane to be fixed ,

I agree. I personally would only buy Waeco, ARB or Engle.

BigRAWesty
9th November 2013, 03:44 PM
Ok, a few unanswered questions.
Size. A fridge outside dimensions will be a bigger area than an esky due to sometimes a thicker wall in the fridge, but you have to allow the compressor setup..

Ventilation.
The old's use to have a 35ltr weaco which was wedged between the rear seat and doors in the Q. We use to put stuff all around it, but made sure what was near the vents wasn't like a pillow or something which could smother the vent. Fridge was fine.
As fir temp cut off?? Not sure, never looked. I'm sure they would have something..

Efficiency..
Again, variable. How bugs the battery??
Putting cold stuff in it will make it more efficient, and also minimize opening it.
But simply, yes. As a family the old Q only ever only had one battery and the fridge use to travel in the back.
Setup the voltage cut off to high (so it cuts out at a higher voltage) and we never had an issue.
Again, assuming Its fridge and fridge alone On the battery..

Covers. Not really needed but the do increase the efficiency. Have been told by 2-5%?? Can't prove those figures though..

But as the others have stated, either of the 2 you have picked Will serve you well..

04OFF
9th November 2013, 03:45 PM
13 years old cops a flogging in the boat as in gets the crap belted out of it , was also in the back of a ute for that time on the beaches , still runs like a dream .36512
Down side needs 42 500 amp batteries 9 solar pannels and 5 chargers Lol :)
Steve

Is that a Engel Steve ?

Shaun 4x4
9th November 2013, 03:45 PM
ive been thinking the same thing over the last few weeks. Ice box or fridge.

i reckon this is a great deal for the cfx50

http://catalogue.bcf.com.au/catalogue/bcf-catalogue-get-set-for-summer/4we9ektqy.html?refresh=1383970426805#pageview=1&pageNo=14

gaddy
9th November 2013, 03:53 PM
Yeah mate and well abused its had a rough life ,

Mud Gecko
9th November 2013, 05:01 PM
I have a 40L Engle, it runs 24/7 in the back of my truck. I have dual Century N70ZZ batteries and I charge both of them every weekend with a ctek charger. When the truck is at home I have the fridge plugged in to 240V. There is nothing better than having cold beer on hand all the time (especially in Darwin :) )

threedogs
9th November 2013, 05:22 PM
How many are you catering for< ???

Mud Gecko
9th November 2013, 05:31 PM
Not sure who your asking, but the beers just for me. The mrs loves being able to have bottles kept cold for bub too.

BigRAWesty
9th November 2013, 06:29 PM
On the thermo cover front.. I do use one, so it doesn't end up like this. Lol

Is that a Engel Steve ?

And I've never had an issue with glass..
Any spills wipe out. I read in the waeco specs that the fridges run normally up to 45 degree angle or something like that. But if you flood it I dont think a quick flip upside down will hurt it...

janderson
9th November 2013, 06:51 PM
I also have a 40L Engle, that runs 24/7 in the back of the truck. Never had a prob in 14 years. My Uncle in the NT had one for something like 30 years, only prob he had was a 20 cent diode

BigRAWesty
9th November 2013, 07:01 PM
Some cuts from the site..

Can I tip it upside down to clean it? (top)
With the CFX models this is not necessary as there is a drain bung in the base of the refrigerator for ease of cleaning and draining. With earlier CF models, yes you can upend the refrigerator if necessary for cleaning, but this should only be for a short period, you should not leave the unit upside down for extended periods and you should not restart the unit for several hours after turning the unit upside down, so that the oil can resettle in the compressor.

rottodiver
9th November 2013, 07:54 PM
I have had both Engels and waeco.... Currently waeco, I have never had a problem with either, the downfall of engel is you need to buy a separate voltage protector to stop it draining the battery, where waeco have them built in. For me the dimensions of the waeco are better( being not as high but a bit wider), this is the main reason I use the waeco now. I find the waeco uses less power also( I have always had insulated covers on both). The waeco is lighter and you can change the side the lids open. The engel is stronger but I am yet to break a waeco.
So I am a vote for waeco on this one but I believe either way you wouldn't be disappointed( waeco,s are cheaper also)

Scotty

gaddy
9th November 2013, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=Westy's Accessories;445353]On the thermo cover front.. I do use one, so it doesn't end up like this.

I think it gives it character ,

04OFF
9th November 2013, 09:20 PM
I have had both Engels and waeco.... Currently waeco, I have never had a problem with either, the downfall of engel is you need to buy a separate voltage protector to stop it draining the battery, where waeco have them built in. For me the dimensions of the waeco are better( being not as high but a bit wider), this is the main reason I use the waeco now. I find the waeco uses less power also( I have always had insulated covers on both). The waeco is lighter and you can change the side the lids open. The engel is stronger but I am yet to break a waeco.
So I am a vote for waeco on this one but I believe either way you wouldn't be disappointed( waeco,s are cheaper also)

Scotty

The gold Engel im looking at has the voltage protector (dont know why its not factory on the whole range ? pretty poor really)

You are the first person ive come across that have put Waeco before Engel with regard to power consumption ?

jack
9th November 2013, 10:47 PM
Engel for me, daughter worked in Pt Hedland for three years at store selling both Engel and Waeco. According to her most of the warranty returns were Waeco by far, they struggled with the humidity. Also had issues getting them repaired.
I've got the Gold Engel same as Winnie. Never missed a beat on the Cape trip, the guy with the Waeco had issues.
Could be coincidence.

rottodiver
10th November 2013, 12:43 AM
The gold Engel im looking at has the voltage protector (dont know why its not factory on the whole range ? pretty poor really)

You are the first person ive come across that have put Waeco before Engel with regard to power consumption ?

I am comparing 80 litre engel to waeco, definitely find the waeco chews less battery power.... Maybe the whole engel range now has voltage protection( not sure)..

As far as humidity etc, I keep the 80 litre in the camper trailer and humidity hasn't been a problem...touch wood. Also find the waeco way quieter and being in the camper trailer we notice it when going to sleep...

I know I am I. The minority when it comes to waeco but this is just through my experience, but don't get me wrong the engel never caused me any drama ever and if the waeco did play up at all I may just have to change back...

Scotty

threedogs
10th November 2013, 07:20 AM
With a few 4x4 shows on ATM, you may be able to secure a model run out fridge at a great price.
The transit bag is great as it insulates your fridge and keeps it looking great.
There is a mob called two-zone who make fridge extensions, more like a veg crisper. on top,
and cold drinks below.
I run Limo tint in the cargo area to further assist the Engel

04OFF
10th November 2013, 09:20 AM
I am comparing 80 litre engel to waeco, definitely find the waeco chews less battery power.... Maybe the whole engel range now has voltage protection( not sure)..

Is your Waeco from the "CFX" range, as these are a pretty new model, and from what i can find out, have only been out for 12 months or so ?, and apparently use a new design/different compressor etc to the older models, perhaps they are more efficient than the Engels ?

04OFF
10th November 2013, 09:28 AM
Engel for me, daughter worked in Pt Hedland for three years at store selling both Engel and Waeco. According to her most of the warranty returns were Waeco by far, they struggled with the humidity. Also had issues getting them repaired.
I've got the Gold Engel same as Winnie. Never missed a beat on the Cape trip, the guy with the Waeco had issues.
Could be coincidence.

How long ago was this, and was it before the Waeco CFX models were on the market ?

What perecentage did they sell of each brand though ,as Waecos seem to be a bit cheaper to purchase, it would make sense they may sell more, so more returns ?

rottodiver
10th November 2013, 09:31 AM
No I have the waeco coolfeeze.... The new ones do look great though... Thought I would have a look at the specs and my 80 litre waeco uses 2 amps and the engel 80 litre uses 4.2 amps, the first time I have really ready the power consumption specs but as I have noticed...
Another thing.... Waeco have a waeco seconds list which they sell them a lot cheaper... These are the display models etc with full warranties, not sure if engel do..

Scotty

P.s the amps rating was actually .5 to 4.2 amps max on the engel and the waeco just said 2 amps but I can assure you the batteries drained a heck of a lot quicker with the engel...
And again I am not promoting waeco over engel(although it does read like that) I am happy with both, it is just turns out the waeco dimensions fit where the engel ones don't.

threedogs
10th November 2013, 09:55 AM
@ rotto I hear you the engel 60ltr shape would be better to live out of in the 40 ltr.
Maybe they are tall and deep for a reason

rottodiver
10th November 2013, 10:03 AM
The latest issue for me was the height of the 80 litre engel, I needed it to be under 550 mm high on memory so I could slide it out the back of the camper trailer under the cross bar, it was a little too high and the Engels are quite heavy so it wasn't practical to lift in and out from the top ... The waeco fits in perfect and they are so light compared to the engel...
But I did have the engel for 6 odd years in the back of the patrol on top of the drawers and then on a drop slide in the patrol and it was great for that configuration.

Scotty

threedogs
10th November 2013, 10:28 AM
I pulled my Engel apart to fit a fan [turbo] on later models,
there is nothing under covers, I also fitted a led light that
worked via a mercury switch, I wired this to the dead side of the fuse,
best thing ever IMO, now STD in most new models,
Was approached by Engel when word got out.
The light I had designed had a self learning eccellerometer, brainy little light
could tell if stationary or moving, even if parked on an angle, powered by single AAA battery
never went ahead with it though, bummer

Drewboyaus
10th November 2013, 11:16 AM
The ARB has an LED interior light, is super easy to clean because of the drain plug in the bottom, is lighter than the Engel, the lid is both easy to remove yet very secure on hinges I can't imagine you'd ever break and it's pretty efficient. Max draw for my 60L is about 4A or less and the average is .89A per hour.
Go to a few places and have a look and a play with each of the brands because to be honest, whether it's a Waeco, Engel or ARB you'll be splitting hairs on the quality and performance of each (they all have their good and not as good points) and it will probably come down to which suits your available space better.
On that topic, I was going to get the 47L ARB and then on reviewing the space I had, decided to go the larger 60L because with a young family the extra size was useful and the shape (lower and longer) better suited my available space......

threedogs
10th November 2013, 12:48 PM
Waceo weren't around when I bought my Engel, '92.
60lt was way too big, thus I brought the ice box
I did get a set of Engel hinges off a rep so my 40 hinges the other way,
and hinges are so the lid wont come off when lifting

Shaun 4x4
10th November 2013, 06:01 PM
Well I went to bcf and bought that cfx 50. Last day of the sale and was there last one so thought why not. Lol

Gstone
10th November 2013, 06:04 PM
Well I went to bcf and bought that cfx 50. Last day of the sale and was there last one so thought why not. Lol

I've had the CFX50 since the week they were released and I've been very happy with it. Seems sturdy, and operates exactly as advertised.

Drewboyaus
10th November 2013, 07:43 PM

Nice one! Now to fill it up and go for a drive.......

jack
10th November 2013, 07:48 PM
How long ago was this, and was it before the Waeco CFX models were on the market ?

What perecentage did they sell of each brand though ,as Waecos seem to be a bit cheaper to purchase, it would make sense they may sell more, so more returns ?

Less than 12 months ago, not sure of the percentage but she said Engel was the preferred choice up there. I'll get some more details when she gets back from the high country.

the ferret
10th November 2013, 07:55 PM
I have a 30 year old Engel, been around OZ twice, is now in the garage and can still freeze stubbies till they explode, it's a 60 L, I would go for the 60L, I also tip it upside down to wash it out, still going strong, cost me 300 bucks brand new.
Cheers, the ferret.

Drewboyaus
10th November 2013, 08:10 PM
I have a 30 year old Engel, been around OZ twice, is now in the garage and can still freeze stubbies till they explode, it's a 60 L, I would go for the 60L, I also tip it upside down to wash it out, still going strong, cost me 300 bucks brand new.
Cheers, the ferret.

Yeah but that 300 bucks was just after we changed to decimal currency......
LMFAO

megatexture
10th November 2013, 09:35 PM
Waecos for me,we've had our 80 ltr 4years and use it frequently and its done some big trips over Xmas hols(48 degree days in the shade).
We also have a 50 ltr that we just use for drinks that's we got in a stock clearance when the CFX models come out.

both are the cf models and use the danfoss compressor that they no longer use as they have there own brand comperssor now apparently, One point that put me off the engel other then the price and the thought of the metal outer case rusting was the extra 10kg between them though this would be less with a smaller capacity fridge.

Never had any need to tip them over to clean it out, I just wipe it out and if I have a spill just soak it up with a towel or sponge

I have insulated bags on both and also have 10mm polystyrene sheets slipped between the bag and the fridge , but at the least I would recommend getting a bag.

Not sure if I would trust running the fridge on a starter but if you do using a Waeco you can set the protection cut off to 3 levels to turn the fridge off to save the battery from discharging to dangerous levels.

We load gear on and all around our fridges and the 50 ltr sits between the 2 kids in the middle seat so we can open and get into it while on the road.

Cans fit tighter in the fridge so you can fit more and they cool down faster .
if you accidently freeze a can they tend to expand poping the bottom out before they bust whereas a bottle can't expand at all so will pop the top or shatter the whole bottle making a mess sooner than a can. hope that makes sense.

gaddy
10th November 2013, 10:04 PM
Holden v ford
Land cruiser v patrol
Waco v engal

Every body lives the one they own !

rottodiver
10th November 2013, 10:10 PM
Holden v ford
Land cruiser v patrol
Waco v engal

Every body lives the one they own !

Gaddy,
The feeling I get from this thread is in general we all believe they both have good and bad points , doesn't sound like too many bad experiences with either!

Scotty

04OFF
10th November 2013, 10:10 PM
Im actually getting keen on the Waeco CFX-40, i do like the sound of the Engel, but the Waeco seems to have so much more to offer, the only down sides compared to Engel i can see, are unconfirmed reports about reliability, plus power consumption figures ?

As i see it, the Engel 40 L (anniversary model) is a great fridge, but has some things i dont like when compared to the Waeco, these are my own personal thoughts /concerns, and remember, ive never had a car fridge before, so could be way off the mark.

What i have come across so far......

The Engel has a space between the walls and the evaporator plate, very difficult to clean in the gap (Waeco is flush)

The Engel internal cavity seems norrower and deeper, so you will have to remove more stuff to get to something sitting on the bottom.

The Engel has no drain plug, so cleaning spillages is harder, especially in situations where you cant afford to have your food getting warm (waiting period after you turned it upside down)

The Engel lid/catch is almost a two hand job, Waeco is one hand open, and just latches shut by itself (good if you have kids), no extra catch to hook and seal.

Also the Engel bag has 2 zips to undo to get into the fridge, the Waeco looks like velcro ?, if it is, the Waeco is going to be much easier to open.

The Engel controls and display is at the top/back end of the fridge behind the hinges ,so harder to see/get to, the Waeco has it all right at the front.

continue next post.....

04OFF
10th November 2013, 10:11 PM
continued.......

Engel dimensions W648 x H508 x D364mm (40L model)

Waeco dimensions W398 x H461 x D630 mm (40L model)

The Waeco is slightly smaller on the outside , for the same capacity inside, so more room for other stuff.

Engel is 24kg, compared to 18.5kg for the Waeco , 5.5kg difference !

3 year warranty on both , Waeco has a additional 2 year (parts only) on compressor

Both units come with a bag, Waeco have what i think would a very usefull ,Wireless Display available, giving you remote live display of fridge functions, including low battery alarm, fridge temps etc, you could have this up front while driving, or im not sure on the signal range, but perhaps you could check on the fridge while your still inside the house (fridge in car on driveway)

Even with the remote, the Waeco comes in at $270 cheaper than the Engel.

The other small thing, bearing in mind i want the fridge to be just inside the small barn door of my wagon, is that the vents on the Engel are at the side/rear of the unit, so when the car is jamb packed full of gear, it will be hard to not have stuff sitting against the vents, also the vents on one side will be very partially blocked by the wheel arch hump .

The Waeco has vents on the side/front, so packing the last of you gear around the fridge, it will be easier to leave these vents clear, as they are easy to see, and right at the back door, also when you stop, you can open the rear barn door for easy fridge ventilation.

The other bonus is ,the patrol inner wheel hump ends long before the vents on the Weaco, so even if pushed up hard against the inner wheel hump, a nice clear void will be naturally created near the LH side/front of the fridge , right where one vent openings is.

Of course all benefits/advantages become worthless if the fridge stops working, the Engels apper to have pretty much no break down issues ever, the Waecos do seem to have some reports of failures, but lots of people have had no issues what so ever.

EDIT, Waeco wireless display, range = upto 15 M

gaddy
10th November 2013, 10:12 PM
Yep that was the point both do the job well

04OFF
10th November 2013, 10:22 PM
I have insulated bags on both and also have 10mm polystyrene sheets slipped between the bag and the fridge , but at the least I would recommend getting a bag.

Not sure if I would trust running the fridge on a starter but if you do using a Waeco you can set the protection cut off to 3 levels to turn the fridge off to save the battery from discharging to dangerous levels.

We load gear on and all around our fridges and the 50 ltr sits between the 2 kids in the middle seat so we can open and get into it while on the road.

Cans fit tighter in the fridge so you can fit more and they cool down faster .
if you accidently freeze a can they tend to expand poping the bottom out before they bust whereas a bottle can't expand at all so will pop the top or shatter the whole bottle making a mess sooner than a can. hope that makes sense.

Thanks Troy, some handy info !

Shaun 4x4
10th November 2013, 10:52 PM
Nice one! Now to fill it up and go for a drive.......

Well that was the plan.

Out for about 4-5 hours today and the fridge wasnt getting any cooler.

Been reading they need to be on a few day the first time round to get working properly.

I hope this is the case other wise it will be going back quick smart.

Winnie
10th November 2013, 10:58 PM
Well that was the plan.

Been reading they need to be on a few day the first time round to get working properly.

Nah that's not right. Should definitely have cooled down in that time.

Shaun 4x4
10th November 2013, 11:01 PM
Nah that's not right. Should definitely have cooled down in that time.

God dam it.

It must be my the 12v supply.
Got it plugged in at home now for the last hour and it's already down to 6C.

Will have to suss that out next weekend now.

Winnie
10th November 2013, 11:03 PM
Was the compressor going?

Shaun 4x4
10th November 2013, 11:04 PM
Didn't sound like it come to think of it.

But was really listening as was in a rush to load it up and head down the beach

rottodiver
10th November 2013, 11:07 PM
Well that was the plan.

definately does not sound right......

dont want to state the obvious but is the power setting set correctly...
first thing i would do is run it on 240 volts first , empty it should be at temp in 10 minutes.. when that works set the battery limits(i have mune on low as i run agm deep cycles so happy to go low on them) and get that going..

hope things work for you

Scotty

Shaun 4x4
10th November 2013, 11:10 PM
Thanks Scotty.

Mine was set on medium.
Will change it to low as I'm running it of my aux yellow top.

Yer it is filled to the brim with bottle ATM. Lol

Stropp
10th November 2013, 11:31 PM
I have the companion mammoth 47 ltr with metal body and it's great, works well and priced very well too, haven't had any dramas yet although I will be looking for a bigger one for the Simpson trip to hold food. I do have an 80 ltr trailblazer which is the best fridge in my opinion the downside is it won't fit in the patrol with the drawers due to the 3" insulation around it so I will need to sell it and buy a smaller dimension fridge.

megatexture
11th November 2013, 12:45 AM
God dam it.

It must be my the 12v supply.
Got it plugged in at home now for the last hour and it's already down to 6C.

Will have to suss that out next weekend now.
Not using he factory plug are you as when the cars off so is the plug..

Shaun 4x4
11th November 2013, 12:54 AM
Not using he factory plug are you as when the cars off so is the plug..

Nar not that silly. Lol

It's one someone has put in the back before I owned it.
Pulled it out and looks to only be 2.5mm cable.
So I guess with the volt drop from that and the power setting being on medium it was under the level to run the compressor.

But the screen was still lit up.

megatexture
11th November 2013, 01:00 AM
Yea I run some thick stuff for my fridges and swap the cig for a merit plug while your at it much stronger connection

megatexture
11th November 2013, 01:01 AM
Nar not that silly. Lol

You never know sometimes lol

Shaun 4x4
11th November 2013, 01:30 AM
You never know sometimes lol

This is true.

Gonna get some 6mm from work tomorrow.
Should do the job.

firm351
11th November 2013, 01:40 AM
This is true.

Gonna get some 6mm from work tomorrow.
Should do the job.

Do you know any good sparkys mate lol

Shaun 4x4
11th November 2013, 01:42 AM
Do you know any good sparkys mate lol

Yer I know one in particular. Lol

ben ren
14th November 2013, 09:49 PM
Make sure the polarity is correct at the 12v outlet otherwise it won't run

Shaun 4x4
14th November 2013, 09:55 PM

Yer no shit. lol

BigRAWesty
14th November 2013, 10:00 PM

Hay mate. Mind popping over to the intros. Just something we ask all members.

ben ren
14th November 2013, 10:16 PM
Yeah will do.
Sounds like crap but happens more than you'd think

BigRAWesty
14th November 2013, 10:21 PM
Yeah will do.
Sounds like crap but happens more than you'd think

Fair enough..

Warwick89
14th November 2013, 10:27 PM
I've got a CFX65 and haven't had a problem with it, on the move over from cairns at the start of the year I was running it for days just on an arkpak.

ben ren
14th November 2013, 10:38 PM
I've got the cfx50,got it when they first came out.
No problems so far,the basket makes it easy to fill,just load it up in the kitchen then drop it into the fridge.
I think a cover is on the cards as it's showing a few marks

04OFF
14th November 2013, 11:05 PM
Thanks ben, good idea about always removing the basket to fill the fridge.

I picked up a Waeco CFX-40 today, with a bag and wireless display for $926, too good a deal to pass.

It all fits into the back of a GU Wagon perfectly, even lines up so well with factory mounting points , i can secure the fridge with just one ratchet strap.

The fan vents are in the ideal spot, as is the power cord angle, the MP3 pocket at the front is just perfect for a bottle opener :smiley_thumbs_up:

The whole unit sits below the window line, so visibility does not change from inside the car, outside the car, the fridge display is high enough, you can read the fridge temp looking through the rear barn door window.

The fridge door just clears the roof , with the bag on, the bag door flap will just hit the roof when extended fully vertical, it works great as a door stay if you push it up high enough.

Im testing the fridge now, its night time and raining, so not exactly a good test, but so far it seems pretty good in all other aspects.

04OFF
14th November 2013, 11:09 PM
You guys that own fridges, do you turn them on a few hours before you need them, or run it overnight ?

And do you only fill with stuff that is already cold ?

Or does anyone just put hot stuff in a hot fridge, and start driving ?

Also, what temp do you guys set the fridge to run at, do you set them colder to start with, then up the thermostat to not freeze everything ?

Winnie
14th November 2013, 11:19 PM
I turn mine on at least the night before I leave, on 240V. I don't mind putting warm things in it then because it's not going to drain my battery. Out bush when you've drank all your cans and you need to refill you really have no choice but to put warm drinks in... but do it in the morning if you'll be driving that day.
I set mine to 0 degrees, perfect beer temperature =]

BigRAWesty
14th November 2013, 11:39 PM
Yea I usually run mine on 240 for a couple of days prior and try to load up with cold stuff.
I also have mine set to 0 but you'll find each one is slightly different. In-laws cf50 freezes at 0 so they have it set to 2 degrees.. My father's smaller one is set to 3..
I'm yet to get a thermometer to check actual temp..

Warwick89
15th November 2013, 12:14 AM
My cfx65 is dual zone and I set it anywhere from -8 to -15(keeps everything in the freezer solid and fridge side perfect for the cans) depending on ambient temp.

Also load with cold stuff before you leave home, then as you remove a can replace it.

04OFF
15th November 2013, 12:51 AM
So from what im reading, dont expect it to be like a ice esky, as in, hot cans of drink wont get cold within a hour of turning it all on ?

Warwick89
15th November 2013, 12:56 AM
So from what im reading, dont expect it to be like a ice esky, as in, hot cans of drink wont get cold within a hour of turning it all on ?

No mate it's a fridge lol

megatexture
15th November 2013, 01:00 AM
We always have it running the day before packing it , usually as there's no room in the house fridge so the missus chuck it all in after shopping. Also by plugging the fridge in early lets me adjust the temp befor I put food in it

We will put hot stuff in but try to do it little bits at a time.

04OFF
15th November 2013, 01:30 AM
We always have it running the day before packing it , Also by plugging the fridge in early lets me adjust the temp befor I put food in it

So if you are going to run it at say 2 deg once you have it packed, do you set it lower than this first before filling (e.g. minus 10), or do you just set it at 2 deg and leave it ?

Warwick89
15th November 2013, 01:43 AM
I'd recommend setting it at temp and putting the food in cold once the fridge reaches temp, will fluctuate slightly but won't take long to settle after that.

Another handy hint is to put frozen water bottles in with it to keep it colder with less power.

04OFF
15th November 2013, 02:03 AM
So what the deal, it seems like car fridges sre no good at cooling anything thats not cold already ?, sounds like you have to make sure "everything" that goes in the fridge, comes from a fridge ?

Lucky they have a drain plug, cos it sounds like ill be putting ICE in mine now and then if thats the case ?

megatexture
15th November 2013, 03:47 AM
So if you are going to run it at say 2 deg once you have it packed, do you set it lower than this first before filling (e.g. minus 10), or do you just set it at 2 deg and leave it ?

My 80 ltr is one of the older models that have a turbo button to help get it to temperature faster but my understanding is that this is automatic now, so just set it at the temp you want it at and it will do its thing.

Once you get the hang of it its easy, no need for ice.

if your worried about your beers put one in as you take one out and rotate them, it just depends on how much room you have after you put all your food in

Winnie
15th November 2013, 06:03 AM
So what the deal, it seems like car fridges sre no good at cooling anything thats not cold already ?, sounds like you have to make sure "everything" that goes in the fridge, comes from a fridge ?

Lucky they have a drain plug, cos it sounds like ill be putting ICE in mine now and then if thats the case ?

Bahaha not at all mate. People just do it to save power. If you put warm things in the fridge has to work a little harder to cool it down. No harm to the fridge but uses a little more power.

growler2058
15th November 2013, 06:44 AM
if your worried about your beers put one in as you take one out and rotate them, it just depends on how much room you have after you put all your food in

Orrrr buy tinned and dehydrated food and have the whole fridge for beer :)

threedogs
15th November 2013, 07:11 AM
Pack smart too no good having first meal of steaks down the bottom of your fridge.
Wine bladders[filled] are best idea for retaining cold air/space in a 12v fridge

04OFF
15th November 2013, 09:39 AM
Bahaha not at all mate. People just do it to save power. If you put warm things in the fridge has to work a little harder to cool it down. No harm to the fridge but uses a little more power.

temp you want it at and it will do its thing.
Once you get the hang of it its easy, no need for ice.

Phew, thanks guys, talk of putting frozen water bottles in the fridge got me worried, i mean, i thought the whole idea of using a fridge, was so you never use frozen water (ICE) again !

Whats this "food" thing you guys talk about ? (ha-ha)

04OFF
15th November 2013, 09:45 AM
Pack smart too no good having first meal of steaks down the bottom of your fridge.
Wine bladders[filled] are best idea for retaining cold air/space in a 12v fridge

Cool, so do you have water or wine in the bladder ? Hehe

Bigcol
15th November 2013, 10:06 AM

like anything, it will need time to get to its optimum operating Temp when it has been switched off,
ALL 12v fridges work better on 240v, so if you turn it on the night before on 240V it will cool down quicker. thats why the suggestion of putting it on over night
if you load it with goods already cold, it only needs to keep it at Temp
if you load it with goods that are warm - well, it takes time to cool them down
fit you dont like to drink from cans, and prefer bottles - packing them in stubby holders will stop them rattling & minimize breakages

a packed fridge cools quicker than a 1/2 empty one, hence the suggestion of filling "Goon Bags" with water / air to take up the extra room that needs to be cooled (and cold water NEVER goes astary)

keeping them clean is an off shoot of how neat you are, spill something, clean it right away

the Thermal bags are like you stubby holder - helps to keep the inside contents cooler for longer

hope some of this useless knowledge is usefull for you

cheers

Shaun 4x4
15th November 2013, 10:58 AM
I have found the inside temp is a little different to the reading on the front.
i have mine 75% packed with bottles and it set to 1degrees.
But on my thermometer i read around 2degrees.
Thats with the lid closed and the wire going through the seal.

Stropp
15th November 2013, 11:05 AM
I have found the inside temp is a little different to the reading on the front.
i have mine 75% packed with bottles and it set to 2degrees.
But on my thermometer i read around 2degrees.
Thats with the lid closed and the wire going through the seal.

??????????? 2deg and 2 deg???????? TYPO????

Shaun 4x4
15th November 2013, 11:05 AM
We'll turns out I'm a liar. Lol
Had another look this morning.
Fridge on 1 and thermostat on 1. :)

Shaun 4x4
15th November 2013, 11:06 AM
??????????? 2deg and 2 deg???????? TYPO????

Yer. Lol

Was wrong altogether anyway. Lol

Shaun 4x4
15th November 2013, 11:07 AM
Now to get my 12v supply wired up so a can take the dam fridge with me.
At the moment it's sitting in my garage waiting to go. Lol

Bigcol
15th November 2013, 11:53 AM
I used 10mm dual core from the battery to a fuse block on the Cargo Barrier,
then 8mm from there to the 2 plugs in the back for my fridges, Engel on for main 40L and std ciggy socket for 30L freezer
both on separate fuses.
I used to have 12mm welding cable from 2nd batt to the rear, but was not happy with running the 2 fridges off of it, so I changed it

cheers

megatexture
15th November 2013, 04:09 PM

We have a 80 ltr for food and a 50ltr for drinks lol:drunk::drunk:

Mud Gecko
15th November 2013, 04:34 PM
We have a 80 ltr for food and a 50ltr for drinks lol:drunk::drunk:

You're doing it the wrong way around. :)

Wizard52
21st November 2013, 02:44 PM
Trailblazer only way to go. Hand made in Caloundra and still used by the Aust army so if it is solder proof, it must be good.

Instead of fans or insulation bags etc, the outside of the unit disperses the heat so needs a couple of inches of space to allow heat to be removed. Very efficient. I have a 95 amp hr dual battery with 140 watt solar panel so no problems keeping power up to it. It is still full of bait from October Fraser trip- very few and small tailor this year- and it is rock hard even when parked out in hot sun all day while at work. No rust problems as interior and exterior are all aluminium and beers get very cold very quick.

Early Sept at Waddy Point on Fraser it seemed every second bloke had a trailblazer with one being bought in 1985 and another in 1990.

Mine is number 21,000 approx. and my son's bought for his 21st birthday in 1986 is no 17,000 approx.

gaddy
21st November 2013, 03:15 PM
Could not agree more with the trail blazer, i would have loved one they just take up to much room in a wagon

AB
21st November 2013, 07:45 PM
My families trail blazer died after 20 years of use by other family members and I finally got my hands on it for 2 weeks before it died. Lost hundreds of $$$ of meat.

They are a brilliant fridge though I just lucked out unfortunately!

Stropp
22nd November 2013, 12:56 AM
I have an 80 ltr trailblazer that won't fit now due to the drawers so it will be for sale.

trekster
30th November 2013, 01:44 PM
Just bought a waeco cfx40, bcf are doing the summer pack with them till the 1st December.

So for 1149 got the fridge, bag, stand, a mini 12v cooler/heater, hat, stubby cover, and some other power thing.

They had no bags in stock so gotta wait for that to come in, but there's well over $300 in included stuff in the pack.

Cheers,
Eric.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

threedogs
30th November 2013, 01:55 PM
With all this talk on good brand fridges ,please use the Engel plug which locks in place,
or a 50amp Anderson plug, avoid using a cig socket and plug at all costs. You want the best connection possible.
And if touring last thing you want is a cig plug to fail out in the Simmo. Extra 2cw

trekster
30th November 2013, 01:59 PM
With all this talk on good brand fridges ,please use the Engel plug which locks in place,
or a 50amp Anderson plug, avoid using a cig socket and plug at all costs. You want the best connection possible.
And if touring last thing you want is a cig plug to fail out in the Simmo. Extra 2cw

I will cut mine and run an Anderson plug as that's what I have in the back of the patrol, but I will put an Anderson on the cig plug in case I need to use it for any reason.

Oh and welcome back 3d!

Cheers,
Eric.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

FNQGU
1st December 2013, 01:20 AM
My families trail blazer died after 20 years of use by other family members and I finally got my hands on it for 2 weeks before it died. Lost hundreds of $$$ of meat.

They are a brilliant fridge though I just lucked out unfortunately!

I will bet that Norcoast Refrigeration can fix it for you at a reasonable price… Have you tried to get it sorted. They are pretty simple animals inside, and generally they can tell you what would have gone wrong with it after a 2 min analysis over the phone.

Great bit of kit, but meant for utes...

FNQGU
1st December 2013, 03:33 PM
Also, the below might be of interest to some. It is from an article by Collyn Rivers on 12 refrigeration and wiring. The whole article and other very helpful articles can be found here (http://www.caravanandmotorhomebooks.com/articles/choosing-installing-fridges.html). For some reason Table 1 doesn't show up when I cut and paste, but I am pretty sure someone posted it up (probably Cuppa) in the past. Either way, it can be found on this link or on other sits like Redarc etc.

Also, as per Gabby's earlier comment - I think it pays to walk in and have a chat to a Refrigeration specialist who services and fixes all these fridges. Our local mob in Cairns is Portable Fridge Solutions, and one look out the back is all it took me to be able to see which fridges are being repaired the most. They were also happy to chat and discuss the quality of components, wiring and thickness of insulation. Having a fridge that is 5kg lighter might initially seem like a good point, but it may be that some of that 5kg was insulation. Again, not a big deal if you are running the vehicle, or only having short stops, but if suddenly every Ahr counts, then you may be wishing you had the fridge with the better insulation.

Problems on Twelve Volts

Most electric fridge problems are due to inadequate sized 12 volt wiring. An absolute give-away is if the fridge works well on 230-volts but not on 12 volts. This fault can also be caused or worsened by a faulty fuse holder and particularly by cigarette lighter plugs. Never use the latter.

You absolutely must have an adequate voltage across that fridge and this calls for surprisingly heavy cable. The minimum is spelled out in Table 1. Ideally use at least one size heavier.

The only way of knowing if the voltage is correct is to measure it, or have an electrician measure it. Make sure the fridge is switched on and put something warm inside to make sure it is also cycled 'on', Measure the voltage directly across the battery that drives it, then check the voltage directly across the fridge - as close to its terminals as possible.

There should be no more than about 0.30 of a volt difference: ideally only 0.15 - 0.2 volt. Many fridges have close to 1.0 volt drop! Fixing this makes an extraordinary difference. Replace the cable using one at least as heavy as in Table 1, or run a second cable in parallel.