PDA

View Full Version : DP Chip & Insurance

Bazza & Pam
26th June 2010, 08:41 PM
Enquired with Youi and Budgget insurance about insuring our Patrol 3lt Turbo, things were fine until we said it had a DP Chip fitted, then was told could not insure the vehicle because it had an engine performance aid, thus would have to classed as a "performance vehicle" . Has enyone come across this, as even the Berrima Diesel, who supplyed it, had not hear of this.

patch697
26th June 2010, 09:00 PM
Welcome to the forum Bazza & Pam Its great to see you found us.
Don't forget to visit introductions & tell us a bit about your self.

This subject has brought much debate on other & from memory Shannons seem to be up there with the best of them as far as 4x4 insurance go's But I will see what I can find & post it up here for you.

Cheers
Paul

patch697
26th June 2010, 09:12 PM
this a post I put up on another forum a short time ago & although hot exactly to your subject matter it still makes for some interesting reading & I can also tell you Shannons will cover modified & performance enhanced 4x4's so I hope this is of some help to you.

Shannons Insurance's majority share holder is Suncorp but Shannons it self is its own under righter. It has its own pool of money & is not governed or controlled by any other Insurance corp or provider including Suncorp as to How & to whom Thay will offer Insurance to.

Now to the what thay will cover part:

Shannon's will cover 4WD's both on & off road as long as the off road is within reason ie. High extreme, comp & private property without permission is out (with permission is fine). 4WD parks are fine, unnamed roads are fine as long as public use or permission is granted, fire tracks & the likes are fine as long as public use or permission is granted, club events are fine ( ie just a bunch of us traveling together from one place to the next) as long as you are not competing in a competition.

A family orientated rally (ie. when you have a map you collect things along the way & meat at a finishing point for a BBQ get together) is not considered a competition of sorts ether.

Shannons big sell point in there eyes is thay only cater for the enthusiast which most 4WD owners are so hence thay hold a very large number of 4WD policys. Thay do not cater for the mumma & puppa type with there bog stock fords & the likes.

Policy premiums & the amount of coverage may change on each policy renewal but can be discussed if unhappy with your renewal notice.

Now im not saying thay are the best or am I trying to flog them to anyone here but in the spirit of the Thread I thought this info worth posting.

Cheers
Paul

Timbo
27th June 2010, 03:01 PM
That's great Patch.. thanks for the post.

I really really should insure my truck.. maybe if i had insurance the first time before rolling it, i would have been better off financially! RACV didn't want to cover me on tracks etc so i didn't bother.

When I'm ready, I'm going to call shannons first and see what they have to offer. I'd really like to stay with RACV because i have the roadside assistance etc but if shannons will cover me offroad, that's the better option.

patch697
27th June 2010, 03:22 PM
That's great Patch.. thanks for the post.

I really really should insure my truck.. maybe if i had insurance the first time before rolling it, i would have been better off financially! RACV didn't want to cover me on tracks etc so i didn't bother.

When I'm ready, I'm going to call shannons first and see what they have to offer. I'd really like to stay with RACV because i have the roadside assistance etc but if shannons will cover me offroad, that's the better option.

Mate I switched from RACV to Shannons cos thay wouldn't cover the Mav for what its worth & for what I wanted to do in it.ie. off road 4WDriving.... So I decided I'd rather pay for the coverage & not the gimmicks. As it worked out I ended up with almost double the coverage at a cheaper rate so for me it was a win win.

Cheers
Paul

the evil twin
27th June 2010, 04:45 PM
The "cheap" insurer's can offer lower rates because they reduce the risks and increase the "outs"... IE ... they accept vehicles that are totally stock with drivers that have no claim history who do low kilometres.

I pay a higher premium because whilst I have had no claims in 30 odd years I wanted full cover everywhere so the insurer's risk is higher. My cover is with Allianz thru the Australian 4WD Assoc and has no geographic limits, includes Club Activities and Gymkhana's and all my Mods are listed and covered.

patch697
30th June 2010, 01:09 AM
The "cheap" insurer's can offer lower rates because they reduce the risks and increase the "outs"... IE ... they accept vehicles that are totally stock with drivers that have no claim history who do low kilometres.

I pay a higher premium because whilst I have had no claims in 30 odd years I wanted full cover everywhere so the insurer's risk is higher. My cover is with Allianz thru the Australian 4WD Assoc and has no geographic limits, includes Club Activities and Gymkhana's and all my Mods are listed and covered.

Thats interesting you say that ET cos Allianz was the one I was told by many to stay right away from.
But in saying that I would still like to check out Australian 4WD Associations cover just to see what thay can offer.

Cheers
Paul

Tony
19th October 2010, 09:45 AM
Very informative posts.
I may have to switch my insurance to Shannon's.
Will do my own research first of course.

Maxhead
19th October 2010, 05:11 PM
I just recently made some inquiries regarding what and where I am covered incase of an incident. I'm with Allianz as well.
I was told I will be covered on any road/track as long as it is gazetted. If the area is not a road you will not be covered. I can pay a premium to be covered everywhere if needed.
As far as accessories/mods, if they are listed they are covered

I think anyone will insure your vehicle anywhere and with any mods at a premium.

Finly Owner
19th October 2010, 09:25 PM
try and insure a vehicle with the minutest of hail damage. Then listen to to clauses, excuses, refusals, etc they come out with.

cyanobacteria
9th November 2010, 04:44 PM
try and insure a vehicle with the minutest of hail damage. Then listen to to clauses, excuses, refusals, etc they come out with.

So what do you do if your car gets smashed by hail? Wreck it?