PDA

View Full Version : buying a patrol

birdy007
7th November 2013, 12:54 PM
G'day guys im new to this.
Im in the process now of buying a 2000 nissan patrol ute 4.2 turbo diesel, has a canvas canopy, 33 inch muddies and all the fruit you will need it has 220000ks. What sre your thoughts. Pros and cons.

Cheers guys

Gq jack
7th November 2013, 02:07 PM
Td42! Good engines.

Pop over to the introductions section and introduce yourself first though.

trevbob
26th March 2014, 07:28 PM
Cons, big vehicle compared to hilux size.
Pros, big motor to haul it around, tough, great to drive, too many to mention.
Trev

Rickie3
26th March 2014, 08:17 PM
Dont be in a process just buy it ;)

DX grunt
26th March 2014, 08:56 PM
I must declare that I own a white, 4.2 TDi ute that's an ex-telstra ute. lol.

You need to ask yourself lots of questions, if you haven't already signed on the dotted line. Have you done a REVS check?

Are you city or country driving? Are you going to drive it like you were only doing bitumen work, or are you gunna off road it? Is it gunna be a daily driver or a weekend warrior?

Have you budgeted for loan repayments (if that's the case) new tyres, rego, comp insurance, wear and tear, servicing.

From what I've read, muddies are noisy on the road, so you may have to consider other tyres.

They do use a reasonable amount of diesel. Have you budgeted for two full tanks? Mine's 90 mains and about 75 aux. Lotsa coin to fill both up at the same time.

Everytime I turn on the ignition, 3lts is 'sucked' from the aux to the mains. It takes a long time to transfer fuel from the aux to the mains.

You can't compare a lux to a Patrol. Well, actually, yes you can. lol

Having said all that....I love my troll. I've got it set up as a camper. Short trips I swag in the back. Long stays, I put in a heavy duty foam double bed mattress - with sheets and a blanket or two. lol.

I've got all the fruit, too.

Must admit I haven't been off the gravel verges for a couple of years now, but I don't drive it like I stole it. It's my daily driver, and I treat it with respect.

Hope this helps.

Summing up. Mine's nearly a 3 ton truck that does use a fair bit of fuel.....but I lurve it.

Take care out there.

Rossco

happygu
26th March 2014, 09:31 PM
Birdy,

If you are already buying it, it is too late to be talking about cons ..... but lucky for you there isnt many......

Maybe the canvas canopy rather than a hard top canopy is a con, if you are going anywhere dusty.

Stropp
28th March 2014, 12:09 PM
lol did you see when he posted this thread, last year, i think he would own it by now.

DX grunt
28th March 2014, 12:38 PM
lol did you see when he posted this thread, last year, i think he would own it by now.

Thanks, mate. lol